SaucyHater2 made at gamejam in MonkeyFlixel

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/SaucyHater2 made at gamejam in MonkeyFlixel

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#1]
Me and a couple of friends held a game jam between ourselves this weekend and we aimed to create a prototype for a game in Monkey. We decided to use the Monkey Flixel framework so that things would be nice n quick to develop!

The original game SaucyHater was made by Dave (one of the jam attendees) to learn about monkey.. here is the original:

DEMO: http://www.moonrat.co.uk/games/saucy-hater/

He made it in a weekend under the threat of having to eat mayonnaise if he failed to do so (Dave hates mayonnaise)! The original idea was meant to be a Smash-TV-a-like game but due to the impending threat of eating mayonnaise it had to be down sized.

Fast forward a month and we all got together this weekend for beers, pizza and coding! Just about 10 minutes ago we got a demo playable for SaucyHater2! We have the basics in there and its quite playable although lots of missing animation and level structure.

DEMO: http://www.skn3.com/junk/saucyhater2/game.html

Monkey Flixel is flipping brilliant! A little hacky to work around certain bits to start with, but things started falling into place very rapidly!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#2]
I would love to know if you have tried Diddy, and if so which do you think is best and why.

Currently working with Diddy and loving it, but this does seems to have some nice features.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#3]
I don't normally like this control scheme, but I actually enjoyed my brief play on sh2!

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#4]
This is cool, i definitely need to checkout Flixel some more!

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#5]
I havn't tried a recent version of Diddy. The version I tried a while ago was good and made life a lot easier but it didn't have the amount of features currently in flixel! So I couldn't really advise on which is best, apart from saying there are more features in Flixel.

One such feature is the collision system in Flixel. We were able to get our ai written fairly easy, add all enemies to a collision group and then set them so they are solid objects. Flixel then automatically made them react to each other and walk in a pack! Very nice indeed!

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#6]
But does flixel have any mobile functions? Ah, guess i can just research it :p.

Skn3(Posted 2012) [#7]
Aye yeah get off yer backside and do some reading.. lol. I think the mobile related stuff is where Diddy will be quite useful! Maybe the two can work together...