Theme for my sokoban game

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Theme for my sokoban game

Supertino(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi all

I am making a sokoban game, I know /yawn but I just want to get a project made in monkey and released on Android and sokoban is a rather simple project.

I am struggling on a theme, I don't want to use the standard warehouse theme, any ideas? I struggle when I get to the box (pushable object) and what it need to pushed onto and how the box shows that's where it needs to be.

Thoughts so far;

- POLICE: Player is a police man and he has to push criminals onto cages when the criminal is on a cage it shows him locked in the cage.

- ZOO: As above but with a clown pushing circus animals into cages.

- TERRORIST: You play a terrorist and you have to push bombs onto marked locations when a bomb is on a location the fuse sparkles, level blows up when you get it right. (not sure this is a good idea)

muddy_shoes(Posted 2012) [#2]
I think the safest option would be a non-violent theme (including the violence of imprisoning someone). Rescuing baby animals, maybe (eggs/chick onto nests, bunnies to warrens)? You could swap the interaction to leading/enticing rather than pushing (e.g. dropping food) which would work better with touch interfaces as well as being less aggressive and a step away from standard sokoban. Plenty of scope for cute saved animations and people wouldn't have a problem with colours or patterns to show which animal goes where.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#3]
It's only yawn if you don't like those games or you just copy levels , make it your own flavour and people will enjoy it.

Supertino(Posted 2012) [#4]
@muddy: eggs/chicks sound good, what with Easter round the corner.

@ Taiphoz: those types of games never make me /yawn, just mean /yawn as in yet another sokoban clone.

My goal is create a really good FREE sokoban games for android, there are lots of them but they are lazy ports with awful controls. I am using swip and hold controls to move around the level and that works really really well, no need for on screen direction keys etc.

Shortly after I posted this thread and read what muddy said I had an epiphany, violence is not good, bombs, criminals etc. but what if you played as "Demolition Dave"? His job is to rig old buildings floor by floor with explosives. This solved my other issue of how to present the levels to players, I'll now have a city map and players choose a building (different difficulty on each) and then select a floor of that building (one level per floor), one you complete every floor you're treated to the building crumbling into dust.

The in game graphics style I am thinking of Rick Dangerous.

I just botched together the title screen, image of Demo Dave is from a goggle image search so will be replaced when I get the gfx stage.

In game I currently use *ahem* borrowed art from various sources.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#5]
Change the tile set, have the outter dark tile looks like parking lots, and stuff like that, and tile the inside walls like nice walls and the floors like run down beaten up floors.

if you know what I mean.