Launched Scorched Monster on Android

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Launched Scorched Monster on Android

benmc(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hey everyone, I launched my first Monkey game on Android earlier today called Scorched Monster.

https://app.net/scorched-monster

The objective is to scorch as many monsters as possible before time runs out. Reach the point-goals in each level to advance. I like to say it's easy to play, but challenging to master.

To get an idea of what it's like, I was also told tonight that it is somewhat like Pac Man, had Pac Man been a 2D side-scrolling platform game. I think I see what they mean :)

The link is to a page with screenshots, and then to a free lite version available in the Android Market. I'd love to hear your feedback. I plan on submitting it to Apple next week.

EDIT:

Flash version now available to be played. The game has been submitted to the App Store as well.

Flash lags a bit, it runs best on Android phones, and Firefox seems to be smoother than Chrome for some reason.

http://www.selticeapps.com/scorched-monster/

Uncle(Posted 2012) [#2]
Love it. The graphics are just lovely, and everything plays well. I opted for the full version :)

I just noticed one very small issue with the tile engine. When you jump right at the bottom of the screen, lines appear between the tile rows. I think this can be fixed by not using floats to draw tiles, or to turn off anti aliasing.

Cheers,

Andrew

benmc(Posted 2012) [#3]
@Uncle Thank you so much!!! I'm so glad you like the graphics too - and thank you especially for trying the full version.

I'm actually using Nearest pixel when drawing, and do have all anti-aliasing off in mojo and the images are anti-alias free as well.

Arrrggg, I thought I had this darn problem solved.

Which Android device are you using, and do you know the screen resolution? I don't seem to have this problem on our Galaxy Tab 7", and I haven't seen it on a couple family members' devices.

I wonder if it's just the resolution it's running at.

Again, thank you so much for trying, I really really really appreciate the feedback.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#4]
I have an idea of how I may still be able to fix the problem of seeing lines between the tiles. I think I'm going to change it so the platforms are not drawn by Image.MidHandle

The numbers are all correct when I initially create the tiles' X/Y values, but they are breaking when being drawn, and I think that's probably because the center point when offsetting them may be off by 1 at certain heights.

Well, thank you so much for letting me know this is still happening, and I'm going to try a fix and see what happens.

Uncle(Posted 2012) [#5]
Hi,

Im running it on a HTC Desire (the standard one), and the screen res is 480 x 800.

I had a similar issue in the past, and I did 2 things to get around it. First I made sure the update of the position was by float in the update cycle, but when drawing them to the screen I converted them to ints.

I also overlapped the tiles by 1 pixel, and this fixed the issue as well. Just some ideas.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#6]
It's converting to Int already when drawing, but I think because my screen offset is changing by a float, the center point on some of the tiles isn't rounding up and down correctly, leaving some gaps.

I've made some adjustments that I think are working, but I'm going to test in some emulators and put out an update, fingers crossed.

I'm not drawing by top-left coordinate, and each draw is spacing at the 32px needed based on an original top-left int, so it should technically work now.....

I only seem to experience this in any capacity on Android and HTML5. GLFW, Flash, and iOS are basically flawless. I continue my battle with Android.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#7]
Looks good, is there an HTML5 version to try too?

benmc(Posted 2012) [#8]
It doesn't work in HTML5, lags hard, sound stops making sounds, and tiles have big spaces between them. However, I do have a Flash version coming soon that I think I'll put on my website after I submit a final version to Apple.

Uncle(Posted 2012) [#9]
Ben, If you want to send me a apk I can test for you if like.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#10]
I posted an update of the game to the Android Market with my changes that should hopefully get rid of the lines between the tiles now.

I tried it in multiple emulators at different resolutions and I didn't see any lines, so I'm really hoping this fixed the problem.

Thanks again for your feedback!!!!

EDIT: @Uncle, shoot, I posted an update minutes before your post ... thank you very much for the offer.

Uncle(Posted 2012) [#11]
Hi. Just tried version 1.0.2 and the problem is still there sorry. It seems less noticeable on the 2nd and 3rd levels and its only noticeable at the bottom of the screen.

Since its just a block of solid colour perhaps you could just use a single drawrect command to draw the ground?

benmc(Posted 2012) [#12]
Shoot. Well, I really didn't want to go back to this, but I'm going to edit the tiles so they overlap a bit.

Having a 1-pixel oddity like this in a live product is like nails on a chalk board to me :(

EDIT: Honestly, it's for the better, it also gets me one step closer to my HTML5 version working.

EDIT 2: Yup, overlapping is fixing HTML5. Oh well. Spent a lot of time trying to get it working the other way only to have to roll back, lol. All part of the fun. I remember my original problem being that certain edges weren't lining up correctly when I used overlapping, so hoping that in this game I can avoid that problem even though I'm going back to that method.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#13]
OK, just put out another update that will HOPEFULLY fix the "line between tiles" problem. It also fixed a problem where the hero wasn't moving back and forth between sides of the screen properly when wrapping.

This update did make it so my HTML5 version is more playable. Might be able to make that happen after all.

If this doesn't fix it, it may be a while before the next update as it could be back to the drawing board for platform drawing on Android.

Still planning an iOS submission for Monday or Tuesday because it does seem to work find on all the iOS devices we've tried.

And again, thank you for your feedback, it's been awesome!

Uncle(Posted 2012) [#14]
Happy to say the latest update fixes the issue :) Nice work.

benmc(Posted 2012) [#15]
@Uncle, excellent, that's great news!!!

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#16]
I like the pixel graphics!

benmc(Posted 2012) [#17]
In case anyone wants to know the stats/numbers were for the first 10 days of this newly released platform game, I blogged about it at http://benmc.posterous.com but here's the same stuff that's on the blog:

NOTE: I'm not sure if I'll always post numbers, but I thought I'd share what the first 10 days looked like.

iPhone VERSION
Submitted, still waiting for approval.
It's going to be $0.99 on iPhone

ANDROID VERSION FREE VERSION
http://app.net/scorched-monster (links through to Android Market)
128 Installs
72 Active
Only 2 comments / ratings

AdMob is reporting ~290 ad impressions over this period of time.
Revenue is about $0.05

FLASH VERSION
I may be taking down the Flash version. I don't think it's nearly as fun to play in Flash as it is on-device, so this may be hurting my downloads.

http://www.selticeapps.com/scorched-monster/
293 Plays
Linked to from Twitter, TIGSource.com Thread, and Monkey Forum Thread.