Phoenix3D - A 3D monkey engine

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Phoenix3D - A 3D monkey engine

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#1]
Well as the title suggests its a 3d engine for monkey based on the Blitz3D syntax.

Still a lot to do and add before it is useful and useable but its going well. Here is an example of a working example:

As you can see its identical to Blitz3D!

Currently working on implementing surfaces to meshes and the render routine. Then it will be time to add textures.

I must thank Simonh for MiniB3D, looking through the source really helped me understand what needed to be done!

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#2]
Cool, more options are always good. Which version of OpenGL is it based on, assuming it's based on OpenGL?

For images, just paste the URL.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#3]
Very nice, both engines that are surfacing.

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#4]
Which version of OpenGL is it based on

OpenGL 1.1 for now, 2.0 support might be added. Gonna have a play with that when I get this a bit more finished.

For images, just paste the URL.

Cheers! Heres a screenshot showing off some new stuff. Fog, FogColor, FogRange, CameraClsColor:

And heres the monkey code... trying to keep it as close to Blitz3D as possible.

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#5]
looks pretty good so far

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#6]
thanks! Small update: Added CreateCone and EntityColor now works!

There are no normals for the cone at the moment, need to work out how to do that. Also need to write a CreateCylinder and CreateSphere function... sphere may be tricky!!

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#7]
Another update: LoadMesh now loads .OBJ files. Next big step is to get textures working!

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#8]
Textures are now working and can also be positioned, scaled and rotated. I need to figure out how to do Mipmaps and then work on blending and alpha. I also noticed a problem with my mesh loader, the uv coords aren't loaded properly. Will be fixing that next!

bruZard(Posted 2012) [#9]
it looks very good! Can you upload a demo so we can test the performance?

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#10]
it looks very good! Can you upload a demo so we can test the performance?

Yea sure, I was planning on releasing a demo pretty soon. I'll upload one when I have sorted out my LoadMesh problem. I noticed yours loads my mesh fine and after looking at the code I realised mine doesn't create new vertices for a different u/v coord like yours does. The result makes the meshes texture seams screw up!

bruZard(Posted 2012) [#11]
is'nt my code, is mark's ;)

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#12]
Managed to fix the mesh loading routine. No more problems with the seams!

pinete(Posted 2012) [#13]
Hi!
firstly congratulations, it seems quite good :)
what are the platforms the engine is working on?
keep the good work!

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#14]
Woo, nice!

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#15]
what are the platforms the engine is working on?

I haven't tried android but will be soon. I just did a test on the iPhone, slightly odd behaviour... the floor fades in and out depending on the camera rotation. It only happens with floor when its big; I tried a smaller scale size and it didn't do it. It appears to be affected by the fog, will have to look into that... but aside from that it all seems to be working ok

[edit] hmm yea very strange behaviour. Can't find any information on what could be causing it..

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#16]
nice horsey,

Difference(Posted 2012) [#17]
Looking good.

It only happens with floor when its big;

Maybe glDepthRange related ?

xzess(Posted 2012) [#18]
great stuff here,

do you have a download for us?

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#19]
do you have a download for us?

Soon, just implementing a few more things first and then I'll release a small teaser demo for mac and windows.

Implemented EntityFX full bright, flat shaded and disable fog. Below is a screenshot, the sky sphere uses the new FX.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2012) [#20]
Coming soon: Horsey 3D ;-)

Samah(Posted 2012) [#21]
Where's the teapot demo though? ;)

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#22]
Need demo... where... shoot teapots... at horses....

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#23]
no....
horsey tea party!

CopperCircle(Posted 2012) [#24]
Ooohh, time to dig out some of my old Blitz3D projects, good work.

Difference(Posted 2012) [#25]
Where's the teapot demo though? ;)

http://www.sjbaker.org/wiki/index.php?title=The_History_of_The_Teapot

I Just looked at porting my BlitzMax teapot sample, but it doen't look like GLES has glEvalMesh2.

In that case, It will propbable be a case of loading a teapot model, or creating a code version of glEvalMesh2 .

If anyone fancies a go here's the BlitzMax version.

matty47(Posted 2012) [#26]
Have you stopped this? Or when will a download be available? Thanks

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#27]
Interested if you are still working on this?

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#28]
I stopped when I noticed that Adam was working on MiniB3D conversion. Collision would have been a major issue and with other projects to complete I didn't see much point duplicating miniB3D. It was a nice test though, learnt a bit more of opengl than I had previously. I will revisit this soon though as I hadn't got around to properly adding alpha.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2012) [#29]
I'd still like to see this released too, regardless of what's missing/broken. The more the merrier!

Shinkiro1(Posted 2012) [#30]
Me too.