Puttopia

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Puttopia

Rumphiz(Posted 2011) [#1]
Puttopia is a html5 minigolf game / editor, please give it a go and let me know what you think.

I originally was just porting an old bmax version to get used to Monkey, which those of you with good memories might remember or even the bb2 amiga version :O

It's still got a way to go, no sound, no multiplayer yet.

http://puttopia.com

siread(Posted 2011) [#2]
Looks great. Are there any more courses or just the 1 so far?

Rumphiz(Posted 2011) [#3]
Thanks siread, no there's just my course on there at the moment as a default.
The idea is people will create their own courses and then I'll create a leader-board with the top 10 most popular/newest etc for people who just want to play.
A bit like youtube for minigolf.

c.k.(Posted 2011) [#4]
From a quick glance, it looks and plays great! The interface and animation is excellent, and the web site is very professional. Well done (so far)! :)

degac(Posted 2011) [#5]
Cool!
Nice game, I like minigolf game!

benmc(Posted 2011) [#6]
I really like it, well done.

Only thing I noticed was that it seems that when the ball hits the wall it picks up some velocity when I would expect the ball to slow down a little.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#7]
Very nicely done! Good Job!

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#8]
looks good plays ok. One little perk I notice is that once I managed to make the ball with one shot all I had to do is leave the mouse where it was and click the button and the ball would go in every time. otherwise the game is good. I liked the isometric tile look even though they don't seem to be.
is it Isometric?

Rumphiz(Posted 2011) [#9]
Thanks for all the comments.

benmc, it shouldn't speed up but I'll look into it, my physics code is a bit ruff.

Jesse, it is isometric but there's no depth sorting as none of the tiles overlap, just creative pixel work to make it look 3d-ish. I plan on changing that at some point so you can have different heights, windmills etc.

Has anyone tried the editor?

Rixarn(Posted 2011) [#10]
Very smooth!

How did you managed to avoid the gitter?

Rumphiz(Posted 2011) [#11]
I'm not doing anything special. I think just the fact there's not much moving about/overlapping helps and all the gfx are from one 512px texture atlas.

simonh(Posted 2011) [#12]
Great to see Crazy Golf again! Plays just as well as ever. Like how you've done the dynamic isometric arrow.

I registered to the site and activated my account, but when I click the make tab, it asks if I want to register again.

Rumphiz(Posted 2011) [#13]
Thanks Si. That's odd, does it give an error when trying to log in?

simonh(Posted 2011) [#14]
No, it appears to log me in OK.

Rumphiz(Posted 2011) [#15]
OK problem sorted, you should be able to make a course now.

matt(Posted 2011) [#16]
This is so good! Awesome work.

I don't really have time to create any holes, so I hope others do.

Rumphiz(Posted 2012) [#17]
Big update,

You can now start making a course and play it without a login. No need to save anymore. You can store up to 5 courses and it works with touch-screen devices, runs quite well on a ipad2.

Changed the play tab to list all courses, making it easier to pick a course and play.

http://puttopia.com

Let me know what you think / if it breaks.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#18]
Wow, i'm just seeing this now! This is awesome! Its also apparent that i suck at real life minigolf and simulated ones too.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#19]
Just to let you know, I just loaded up the puttopia website and tried to play... but I got the following message:

Bugger!

Im afraid your browser is too old to run Puttopia!

You will need to install a HTML5 compatible browser

This was using Internet Explorer 9, which is HTML5 compatible ;)

Rumphiz(Posted 2012) [#20]
Cheers Neuro, don't worry most of the courses on there are pretty hard, it's much more fun to create hard ones.

therevills, that is strange, I'm only putting that message between the <canvas> tags. Are other canvas based games working fine for you?

Could you try it again, I've added <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge"/> to force IE to use latest mode as possible.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2012) [#21]
That's cool , but was more interested in the way you integrated it with your website.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#22]
Could you try it again

Yep, all good now :)

Floyd(Posted 2012) [#23]
The "play again" button could use some fine tuning.

A quick click works properly, starting over. But if the mouse button is held down for a fraction of a second you go past the initial phase to the part where you aim your shot. Then when the button is released the ball sails off in some totally unintended direction.

Rumphiz(Posted 2012) [#24]
I knew about that problem but thought it only affected touchscreens.
It should be fixed now.

Neuro(Posted 2012) [#25]
Was just playing with this again on my iPad 2. How are you storing the map data?

Rumphiz(Posted 2012) [#26]
The map data is stored in the browsers local storage as a string of tile ids, then when logged in it can be uploaded to a mysql database where it's permanently stored. It uses a javascript function to send the string to a php file which does the database io.