Flip Book Arcade

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Flip Book Arcade

Big Jim(Posted 2011) [#1]
Funny story.

Since neither my buddy Matt or I are any good with graphics, we're creating a game for all devices that looks like it's been hand drawn on paper with pens and is being presented like a flip book animation.

Our first game is an Asteroids remake.
(this is still a WIP but you can play around with it)

I'm still ironing out a couple issues when asteroids collided, but so far this is how it looks.

http://www.pishlo.net/flickertest-flash/

(Ignore the writing on the paper)
Click on the piece of paper, then press the space bar to begin. Use the arrows to rotate left and right, and the up arrow for thrust.
If your ship gets blown up just reload the page.

Skn3(Posted 2011) [#2]
Nice effect! is it using predrawn versions of each object in different scribbles or some kind of line drawing?

I would recommend drawing the explosion by hand, with the current effect it looks a bit odd mixing hand drawn with the particles...

Big Jim(Posted 2011) [#3]
Thanks!

Yes, what I did was draw 5 different versions of each item and it cycles through each version.

It was a time consuming process. I drew everything on white paper and used GIMP to grab just the ink into a transparent png image. I *do* have more (better) images drawn, I just need to find the time to scan them and do the GIMP work.