Creating a 2D Platformer

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Creating a 2D Platformer

benmc(Posted 2011) [#1]
It's a work in progress, but I'm developing a retro-style 2D Platformer game for Android, iOS, Flash, etc using Monkey. It's working amazingly well so far. I have a YouTube video online of one of our test-level where I'm working out all the kinks.

Here's a link to my blog about it:

http://benmc.posterous.com/preview-of-our-new-retro-style-2d-platformer

If you have any questions, let me know.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2011) [#2]
That's looking pretty solid. Mario-esque platformers aren't really my thing, but the jumping and camera movement look good and that's half the battle.

Is the video of the Flash version?

benmc(Posted 2011) [#3]
Yes, Flash, but it works great on iPhone 3GS, and even my Droid 1

Neuro(Posted 2011) [#4]
Looks nice! What did you use for the level editor?

benmc(Posted 2011) [#5]
I created an HTML/JS level editor a while back for other projects that I was able to use pretty easily.

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#6]
Veeeryyyy nice. I like it.

semar(Posted 2011) [#7]
Yup, nice and smooth - keep on m8 :)

Playniax(Posted 2011) [#8]
Very nice!

benmc(Posted 2011) [#9]
I have put up a new video showing off my demo level in my upcoming 2D Platformer game that I'm developing with Monkey.

Sorry, no sounds in the video.

It's really coming along, and the power of Monkey is amazing. This is a video of a GLFW build on my Mac, but it works perfectly on my iPhone 3GS and an iPod 4.

Having some choppiness problems with Android right now, but will be updating the pre-loader so those problems go away.

http://benmc.posterous.com/new-video-preview-of-our-upcoming-2d-platform

wiebow(Posted 2011) [#10]
Looks really nice. Well done so far!
I'm not sure of the 'saving progress' and it's black effect though.

benmc(Posted 2011) [#11]
Thank you for the feedback.

We actually have a different term we're going to use there instead of "saving progress" that will go better with the story of the game.

The reason it goes dark is because the save causes the game to "hickup" a bit, and freeze for just a moment. If I made it go dark, the user knew they weren't able to move, but if it didn't go dark, you felt like it glitched and wasn't moving even though you were telling it to.

I'll have to play with some different options.