space invaders the nextgen

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/space invaders the nextgen

dave.h(Posted 2011) [#1]
Im experimenting with flash any feedback on this is most welcome

http://gamecentaur.com/space-invaders-.html

Volker(Posted 2011) [#2]
Hehe, funny.
And it's hard to attract me longer than three minutes.

Ok, let's go to critic. Nothing important.
Players shots and enemies shot should show more difference but color.
Set standard audio volume a bit lower (25%).
The shield effect is a bit to chaotic.
Shots go through asteroids? Are they in phantom zone :-) ?
The menu buttons can scroll out of the screen faster (when game is started). This is fast action, not contemplation. Give them acceleration.
I find the energy bars, somehow, disturbing. If you wan't to keep them,
change color (yellow?).

And an idea: The missiles falling down from the enemies, could
init their rocket engine and change their direction upwards when reaching the buttom.

The background and paralax is well done. Somehow psychedelic
and never disturbing the gameplay.

dave.h(Posted 2011) [#3]
@volker

thanks for taking the time to give feedback .

volume can be adjusted in the options menu and keeping the asteriods invunrable was intensional but can easily be changed.I agree with you about the menu buttons and player shots and will change that.Its only done to level 26 and ive just drawn the new paralax scrolling backgrounds for the next waves.I will implement this over the coming days and will implement a save option.

dave.h(Posted 2011) [#4]
its also my first website and im struggling at times with this. A full version of TOWERS IN ENFERNO should be on the site and playable later tomorrow.It will contain 45 levels

Volker(Posted 2011) [#5]
keeping the asteriods invunrable

Invulnerable is ok.
But the shots should be removed when hitting them.
The way it is it looks like a bug.
Idea: Hits could slow down the asteroids.

dave.h(Posted 2011) [#6]
yeah i think thats prob the way to go

Uncle(Posted 2011) [#7]
Nice start. One thing I found odd though was the scrolling direction of the background. It seems like it was backwards and the player is reversing all the time.

dave.h(Posted 2011) [#8]
@Uncle

LOL yes i see your point.I originally designed the scrolling class just to see if i could actually do it without to much of a hit on the android format.It worked fine but i never gave a thought to the direction it was travelling.I will have to add and extra method to the class so that it can scroll in either direction.I think this shouldnt be to hard.

dave.h(Posted 2011) [#9]
ok ive implemented most of volkers suggestions and corrected the scrolling direction that uncle pointed out.

1) bars dissapear faster
2) energy bars are green when healthy and red when less than half health
3) bullets explode on asteroids and dissapear rather than go straight on
4) screen scrolls the correct way now

Its suprising how easy it is to change these things.I think Monkeys is really starting to show its potential now.It would have been much harder to implement in another language i think.

c.k.(Posted 2011) [#10]
I'm stuck at a screen where I don't have a player onscreen and I don't have the button available to get another ship. I have 3 lives left. Wave 10.

The button to spawn another ship was onscreen but then disappeared. There was a LOT going on on the screen at the time. :/

Other than that little glitch- which won't let me advance now- works good! Seems the hit detector is not accurate, because I was getting hit by things that weren't touching me.

dave.h(Posted 2011) [#11]
@c.k

arghhhh cant have that will have to check into that thanks for the heads up on that bug