Early Ignition framework demos from Playniax

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Early Ignition framework demos from Playniax

Playniax(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi,

I have just put some early demos of our upcoming framework online.

Have a look at the Demo page.

Demos are HTML5.

Results may vary based on your hardware and browser.

More information about the framework.

Cheers!

c.k.(Posted 2011) [#2]
Cool! Now hurry up! :)

P.S. Cool logo too!

Neuro(Posted 2011) [#3]
Nice stuff, looking forward to working with it!!

Playniax(Posted 2011) [#4]
For the release I'm aiming for the beginning of August.

Armitage1982(Posted 2011) [#5]
Any news on your framework release ?

Playniax(Posted 2011) [#6]
The framework is undergoing serious stress tests and looking very good. I even managed to add 'pixel perfect' collision although it may not make it to the first release. We are working on a game release around the same time as the framework as a showcase. We postponed the release kind of intentionally and hopefully in a few weeks it can be released. The problem that is holding it back the release is the proper documentation. With features expanding almost everyday day it's hard to keep up with the docs :) But no worries, it's in full development and in many ways better than the max version that is going to need a serious update after this one.

Sledge(Posted 2011) [#7]
Good stuff -- very interested to see this.

Armitage1982(Posted 2011) [#8]
Yeah me too, keep on good work :)

Playniax(Posted 2011) [#9]
Okay, thanks!

The thing about pixel perfect collision, you can set the resolution. 1x1 or 2x2 or 8x8 whatever you want. The higher, the more expensive of course :)

I use it in our next space shooter to read collision between the spaceship and the background that scrolls by. The background is a static map in memory and for the spaceship I check the collision. All the gfx that need collision for this make use of a mask that you can make with a tool I wrote.

I have updated the Gravity Zone demo and now uses this new collision system with a resolution of 8x8. Just load the demo and shoot around to see the bullits impact to see how good this works. It also boosted the performance.

Demo page.

Armitage1982(Posted 2011) [#10]
It's working :)
I would love to see this example running on iPod (HTML canvas is too slow of course) just to have an idea about the performances.

Would be nice to avoid reinventing the wheel by porting my own engine as ignition may be a good candidate.

Is Ignition still developing specific functions like iDrawRectVGlass and the like ? Because it's one of the few things I wasn't fond of, fearing getting stuck in a less general game framework.

Can I ask you how good is the particles engine? Because I plan to do more than explosions and smoke with it, unless this is not allowed by the engine. For example: can you play with things like Radial/Tangential acceleration, relative direction/speed, particles spin/size, color/blending/tweening. What kind of particles optimization do you use, lockup tables, polling, etc. ?

Is it possible to animate tiles in the tile system (kind of mixing atlas and tile images, this is just to see if there is room for adding features)?

Impossible to get an early adopter license to play with if there is attractive answers :p

Thanks

Playniax(Posted 2011) [#11]
All of these questions :)

What is wrong with iDrawRectVGlass? Is it the naming convention?

Most features your asking for are in the framework or part of it already. I just have to decide what is going to make it to the first release. After that we keep adding. There is some particle stuff in it but it's really basic. The smoke and explosions you see are now animations instead of realtime particle stuff because of performance of mobile devices. Probably add real time stuff later.

I hope to have more information for you all soon.

Armitage1982(Posted 2011) [#12]
Pure interest :)

I have the choice between porting my engine to Monkey (and I miss a few things in order to do that), using Cocos2d (well featured but different) or trying someone else monkey framework if it's good enough.

iDrawRectVGlass - Draws a rectangele with vertical gradient 'glass' style.
Nothing wrong with those kind of functions, but they feel more specific to a drawing software than a game framework.

Any chance to see the module API to get an idea ? Even without description (It's generally straight forward).

Armitage1982(Posted 2011) [#13]
How's the framework is going ?
I'm starting considering Monkey with or without Framework for next ideas :)

frank(Posted 2011) [#14]
Looks great, anywhere close to a release yet?

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2011) [#15]
Yes I would also like to know when it going to be released?

Playniax(Posted 2011) [#16]
The last 2 months I have been very busy writing a game using Ignition for Monkey. It's finished now and I'm back to finishing the docs and examples. This game was a good testcase for the framework. I can not name a date for the release but we are close.

Armitage1982(Posted 2011) [#17]
Great !
Christmas release ? :D

Armitage1982(Posted 2011) [#18]
Humm nope !
New-year release ? :D

... Just joking :)

Playniax(Posted 2011) [#19]
We are working very hard to do a release. My aim is january/february 2012 so fingers crossed.

ErikT(Posted 2011) [#20]
It looks very, very good. Does it have any sprite-atlas functionality?

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#21]
Added platform demo:

http://www.playniax.com/ignition/monkey/demo/jungle/MonkeyGame.html

The demo is not finished yet. Needs tweaks!

samowitsch(Posted 2012) [#22]
Great! I can't wait for it ;o)

Sledge(Posted 2012) [#23]
:D

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#24]
theres a bug, if you stand near the edge of a block and tap left/right you fall through.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#25]
yes, like I said, it's not finished, it needs tweaks! :)

Beaker(Posted 2012) [#26]
Cool that you can play it on iPad with touch. Nice one.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#27]
Yeah, just an experiment. Does it play ok?

Beaker(Posted 2012) [#28]
It's ok. Not ideal for this type of game/platformer. Virtual buttons tend to work better.

Armitage1982(Posted 2012) [#29]
Working on Chrome under MacBookAir.
The scrolling is a bit laggy through...

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#30]
@Beaker: Yes, I thought so. I just quickly slapped it in to test it on a touchscreen.

@Armitage1982: On my PC with Chrome it run silky smooth but to be honest, for this particular demo we did not consider any platform limitations or performance limits. There are to many layers I guess.

Armitage1982(Posted 2012) [#31]
It's also working on various browser under iOS 5.1 (iPod Touch 4G) but slowly of course (like any HTML5 Games currently).

Would be nice to produce GLFW version as well as API Doc to really get an idea of your framework.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#32]
Docs coming ASAP

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#33]
Hi,

The time has come to work towards a first release of our framework. I am behind on schedule but I think it’s worth the wait. It has been a difficult process. Writing, rewriting, testing and testing. In the next couple of weeks you will see some more activity from us. A first draft of the docs will be published somewhere next week followed by a new website. In the meantime have a look at the extra demo’s. I have put 1 source code example with the GPI template for you to have a look at. Also have a look at the collision demo. Accuracy is 4 x 4. The framework can do 1 x 1 but performance wise I have no idea how that turns out.

Note that some demo's show some flaws because they are not all finished a 100% yet. They need some final tweaking.

Have a look at the Demo page.

Demos are HTML5.

Results may vary based on your hardware and browser.

More information about the framework.

Cheers!

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#34]
nice demos

teremochek(Posted 2012) [#35]
nice

Sledge(Posted 2012) [#36]
Looking good. Does the GUI stuff have any facility for scrollable text boxes and so forth?

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#37]
Thanks!

Yes, only text for now. I will add scrollbox for other gui components later. A playfield could be used as a scrollbox too for all objects because it's basicaly a window but it's not ideal for that.

List of attachable Gui objects:

iGuiText - line of text
iGuiTextField - field of text
iGuiLink - (hyperlink) type button
iGuiPicture - Image
iGuiButton - Image button
iGuiRectangle - rectangle shape (need to make more shapes)
iGuiTextBox - scrollbox for text
iGuiSlider - Sliders
iGuiProgressBar - Progress bar
iGuiJoystick - virtual joystick
iGuiCheckBox - Check box
iGuiInput - Text input box
iGuiScrollBox - Scroll box

samowitsch(Posted 2012) [#38]
I am looking forward! Great news ;o)

skape(Posted 2012) [#39]
Great! Looking forward to release.

dave.h(Posted 2012) [#40]
ive nearly finished a game im working on but would like to implement a couple of extra things in.

iGuiLink

does this work just like a button or similiar where you press it and it can direct you to either a webpage or other games you have published.

also i read you will have a highscore table in it.

will i be able to implement these in my game easily or will it require a large rewrite to take into account the way your engine works.

will all future updates be free and do you have any idea of a price yet.sorry if youve already answered these elswhere and ive just missed them.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#41]
@dave.h:

Ignition exists out of the following modules (subject to change):

collisionlayer.monkey
collisions.monkey
commoncode.monkey
config.monkey
font.monkey
gfx.monkey
highscore.monkey
sound.monkey
storage.monkey
strings.monkey
tiles.monkey

Also a loader and fx classes.

Most can be used separate or all together so they are realy easy to implement in existing projects.

Besides this there is engine.monkey

The engine relies on the above modules. It should not be to hard to port an existing project to the engine because it is very similar to the App class in terms of usage. Engine setup could look like this:

Global game:GameState

Class MyGame Extends App

Method OnCreate ()

game = New GameState

iStart (game, 60)	' Set state and update rate.

End Method

Method OnRender ()
		iRender ()			' Render engine.
	End Method

Method OnUpdate ()
		iUpdate ()			' Update engine.
	End Method

End Class

Class GameState Extends iEngine

Method OnCreate ()
	' Create stuff.
	End Method

Method OnRender ()
	' Render stuff.
	End Method

Method OnUpdate ()
	' Update stuff.
	End Method

End Class

Note that you can create multiple states and change the state with iStart (state).

We still have to decide on pricing and update policy so I can't answer that question yet.

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#42]
Was planned for later version but all gui objects can now be attached to the scrollbox :)

Sledge(Posted 2012) [#43]
Interesting -- I'm using PhoneGap at the moment because the code's output has to be some form of hypertext (because I'm working on an interactive fiction engine for future projects) and HTML5 is obviously a great fit for displaying a mixture of text, images and buttons. If Playniax can make things similarly breezy under Monkey that'd be awesome.

Michael(Posted 2012) [#44]
All sounds great - looking forward to its release.

cs6505(Posted 2012) [#45]
Any news on this one? Please? ;-)

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#46]
Just going trough the painstaking process of finishing the documentation :)

NoOdle(Posted 2012) [#47]
Sorry for all the questions but I was wondering...

What kind of collisions can the framework handle? Box, circle, pixel? Do you have collision responses implemented? What kind of performance do you get under stress tests? Do you have collision callbacks?

Does the framework support sprite batching or sprite atlases? Parent/Child relationships? Global and local position, rotation and scale? Can you easily transform a point from screen to node space?

I do have more questions but I think thats enough for now :P

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#48]
Collision methods Box, circle, pixel are supported. Pixel collision can be pixel perfect but to much ussage can be slow because of device limitations.

Have a look at this collision demo:

http://www.playniax.com/ignition/monkey/demo/pixc/MonkeyGame.html

Collision responses is implemented by the scoresystem, objects have an OnCollision method and is called when a collision occurs.

More demos:

http://www.playniax.com/ignition/monkey/demo/Menu.html

dave.h(Posted 2012) [#49]
ive just had a look on your website and theres a link thats actually selling your ignition framework.Are there any docs or demo code we can view to see how easy it is

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#50]
That is the BlitzMax version and is currently getting a serious update.

I am waiting for our new website that will show demos. Every demo will show the source code on the same page. I will put the complete docs online when they are finished.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2012) [#51]
Any new on this framework.
When will it be available?

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#52]
Waiting for something to be approved by apple and it's a go :)

So next week somewhere ;)

Amon(Posted 2012) [#53]
Cool! Looking forward to it. :)

Playniax(Posted 2012) [#54]
Ok, should be a couple of days before we release Ignition for monkey V1.0

I am wrapping things up but maybe nice to know, there is an update for BlitzMax available.

The framework has a lot of internal improvements. The goal was to make it easier to port between the monkey and max version. It has a monkey style App class, in-game system GUI that supports a pause, continue and quit button. Also better templates and easier use of the general purpose interface.

We have renamed the product to Ignition Max. Reason for this is the upcoming release of Ignition for monkey.

Have a look at this Windows demo, it has a screenmode interface, game interface, and system GUI.

For more information visit Playniax

c.k.(Posted 2012) [#55]
I'm very much looking forward to this. Now... I say this kindly... HURRY UP! :-D