Tinnitus Retrainer App available in Appstore

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Tinnitus Retrainer App available in Appstore

xzess(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi,

my App iRetrainer got approved:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iretrainer/id441885347?mt=8&ls=1

Hope you like it.
Testing is only useful if you really suffer by a Tinnitus

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
I've had Tinnitus for 13 years now - used to be in a band and got it temporarily after every gig, but this one time it hadn't gone by the following morning like it normally did, and its been like that ever since.

I cannot sleep without a radio or some other background noise to distract from the permanent whine.

Do an Android version and I'll test it.

matt(Posted 2011) [#3]
I've also got tinnitus.

Any chance of an English translation? It's in German on the store for me.

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#4]
what is tinnitus?
it sounds like a horrible ailment.
I mean the app.:)

xzess(Posted 2011) [#5]
hehe Jesse,
"Retraining" is another word for learning that you do not hear the Tinnitus.

Yeah im currently working on an english Translation/Localisation matt, give me some days :)

@ GfK
I just registered for android market today, so a android release isn't far away!

If somebody can tell me how to do free coupons for my products in itunes, i would give some out for testing

Thanks for your interest!
Best wishes!

matt(Posted 2011) [#6]
You get the free coupons using http://itunesconnect.apple.com app management.

@Jesse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

GfK(Posted 2011) [#7]
what is tinnitus?
it sounds like a horrible ailment.
Its basically a permanent whistle/whine - imagine hearing a really high-pitched note playing all the time, 24/7. That's what it is. In my case its caused by excessive exposure to loud noise, dunno if it has other causes as well.

This 'retraining' idea works like this: You have a device which you tune to the same frequency as the 'note' you constantly hear from having Tinnitus. Your brain will eventually learn to block out the high-pitched sound played on the device, and in doing so will block out the Tinnitus too.

xzess(Posted 2011) [#8]
Yeah there are of course other reasons also.

The reason for a Tinnitus is mostly located in the inner ear.
There are hairs which are located in a liquid.
If a sound goes through the middle ear to the inner ear, the hairs are getting moved by the pressure of the liquid.
There are two liquids, one is positive and one is negative.
Calium and Natrium
If the hairs are moving, the liquids flow into each other which generates an electric reaction which will get send over your nerves to your brain.

If you have damaged your ear by loudness, those hairs are broken and the liquids will flow into without control.
After 6 months your Tinnitus changes from acute to chronic which means, that your brain has been habituated to the Tinnitus.
Then you need to do some Sound Therapy to retrain your brain to not hear the Tinnitus

If you suffer a Tinnitus < 6 Months

1. Go to a good medic
2. Drink much water
3. Eat your food with only very few salt
4. Make a daily silence session, read a book and don't listen to informative sounds like voice fragments because the TV is running in background or something. If you don't have silence, take some days in a countryside where silence is present
5. Make long walks with fresh air
etc..

If you suffer a Tinnitus > 6 Months
It may not be easy to retrain, same thing as rehabilitation if you have to learn to move.
Stress is contra productive

Make Silence days, make some Sound Therapy, mostly deep natural Sounds. Those high frequency ones may be really annoying and make it much more worse for you.

If you notice that your chronic Tinnitus (which is usuallly always in the same pitch and volume) will change in sound, the Sound Therapy starts to work. Just continue, but never put too much Expectation into it

There are currently two famous studies, which are working very opposite to each other.
The first will add your Tinnitus Frequency to music, commonly classic tracks
The other study removes your Tinnitus from the music

I included both, and some own things i used in my old work (did medical accoustics and audio for 10 years) which works with very good results.
If you have questions feel free to contact me

Sorry for my bad english.. hopefully you understand without problems ^^

matt(Posted 2011) [#9]
This is a great insight. thank you

I have had some medical consultancy about my tinnitus (again caused by loud noise exposure) but I am always open minded to new ways of improving the situation.

1.5 years ago I moved to the countryside and my tinnitus became more noticeable. Very noticeable! Before, when I lived in London - the capital city of the UK - there was always background noise and it wasn't so noticeable. The difference was quite shocking.

Anyway, not the type of conversation I expected on this forum. In a good way :)

xzess(Posted 2011) [#10]
Hehe thank you :)

I can understand you the difference between city and countryside, its really annoying. But even if its simple said: don't worry.

The thing is, our mind tells us to worry if something is strange with our body our body feeling.

I am on a state where i accept my Tinnitus and don't dislike it anymore.
I trained to get it into the foreground or background like you do with annoying noise while listening to your talking partner.

Since im musician i even started to jam on it its a high C#
Whats really interesting are binaural beats.
I am working on a iOS release for a binaural beat machine for therapy purposes.

If you suffer on:
- Sleepless
- Headache
- Loss of energy
- Depression

it helps, but since body symptoms have a source in our soul its always good to get to the root problem.
The mind is always telling problems in dreams (Lucid Dreamer is another app which will be on stores soon)

Best wishes to you!

Edit: Forgot the Keys to post ^^

Y64WFTRJT4LE
F7K4NE6YNM67
RMTE9YWMM7A4

Here are 3 Keys for testing the app on iOS (currently only IPhone + IPod)
The keys are for version 1.00 so that version don't has the full features as the current version, there will be many updates
(currently there are 3 Updates, 2 in review and 1 in development)
Its annoying that apple takes weeks for an update review

matt(Posted 2011) [#11]
Thanks for the code (I used Y64WFTRJT4LE for reference)

I don't mind my tinnitus 99% of the time, sometimes it becomes more noticeable but I just get on with things. I do wear hearing aids very infrequently that help bring "normal" sounds to the foreground and drown out the tinnitus.

xzess(Posted 2011) [#12]
Hi thats good, Hearing aids will also help with. Im very interested, you are from USA?
I really would like to Know the Hardware capacities of US Hearing Aids, do you Know how many channels they have?
I worked with Starkey for some long time, they are really good.
In Germany they are very expensive most of the doctors in big cities have deals with deliverers which is a huge disadvantage for the patients. Really really sad that health isn't as cheap as it should be and today many people don't have money for good devices so they have to suffer with the last crap.
Well but that's Germany at the moment. Times will Change :)

Best wishes

matt(Posted 2011) [#13]
I'm in the UK. I'll post details of my hearing aids soon

xzess(Posted 2011) [#14]
Here is a screenshot of the new Audiometer coming up with the latest version

Im working on a calibration for it.
The device sends a tone which will be recorded with the device mic and then it analyses the sound, takes the average and then change the channel volume.

Its really funny to turn the phase of specific frequency bands (most < 0.5 kHz) to calm down noise

Wow theres so much work to do, hopefully i can hurry localisation and portation

But its not working as wishes so stay tuned ;)

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#15]
thanks for the explanation guys. I have it and didn't know what it was called.

xzess(Posted 2011) [#16]
Ok new Version got applied the other 2 updates i did while waiting are still waiting for review... :/

So in Store there is Version 1.06 and i am on V1.09 really lol, apples aren't really the fastest in reviewing ^^

Here are Promo codes for my "new" version 1.06 for testing:
M9LJ33FRMT7E
XJXN3K43K7PX
T636LRPTNH7M

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#17]
Looks really good! As you seem to use some native GUI stuff do you see any benefits to use Monkey for that? I mean you seem to know native programming of the iPhone...

matt(Posted 2011) [#18]
We never push more than one update per week to Apple's review queue. We find that the longer gap between versions (compared to software you release yourself) helps reduce bugs, too.

I think the native GUI are just buttons made to look like iOS buttons, right?

xzess(Posted 2011) [#19]
yes you're right matt :)
to be honest what you see is my own interface in cocoa look,
This way i can port it with my framework into all targets i actually need to.
Thats the reason why im using monkey, write in one monkey language and port to all platforms. its really sweet to work with.
I prefer it to all other solutions i actually know.

Im working on a cocoa wrapper for imonk because imonk is only iOS.
But im a bit overworked atm, have to focus on the main things.

Best wishes

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#20]
Good idea actually. Maybe I should do that as well as I need a virtual keyboard but only for stuff like login and highscore...