Ninjah (1280x720 screen shots)

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Ninjah (1280x720 screen shots)

Raz(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi all,

Ninjah is a platform puzzle game. The screenshot below (taken from the original version) shows the mechanics used.

I originally made Ninjah in BlitzMax and ever since I realised XNA let you make games for the Xbox 360, I've wanted to remake it. Unfortunately I was stupid and some how lost the source code, so I have been recoding it in C#. On the most part I got it working but I really struggled with coding in C# so most of it is a right mess!

Luckily Monkey was released, so I have been remaking it (again) and things are going much better.

It's still pretty early but I've got the basics there and am just working on the polish and levels now.

The red border is the 'safezone' guide for television presentation. The picture shows, the fireworks (which happen when you finish a level with the best time) as well as my basic (and i mean basic!) motion blur drawing which does actually look ok when animated.

I will be releasing it for as cheap as possible on XBLi, and assuming I can work it all out, for PC as well.

matt(Posted 2011) [#2]
Looking good!

Neuro(Posted 2011) [#3]
Looks nice ! Got an HTML 5 version up somewhere :)?

Raz(Posted 2011) [#4]
When I started working on it, it was in HTML5, but it runs like an absolute dog now.

Raz(Posted 2011) [#5]
Couple more shots

Raz(Posted 2011) [#6]
I've decided on how the movement engine works am now focusing on the levels. At the moment I am aiming for 50 levels and I am hoping to submit it to the XNA creators club by this time next month :)

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#7]
Looks very good. And different. I hope it will be a success.

Raz(Posted 2011) [#8]
Still working on levels (which is something I really struggle with!) but I've been working on other tile sets too

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#9]
I really like the look.

Raz(Posted 2011) [#10]
Cheers Mike :)

Skn3(Posted 2011) [#11]
Yeah very nice style :D Need any testers ;) ?

Raz(Posted 2011) [#12]
I will do actually. You got an xbox controller that you can use with a PC?

Skn3(Posted 2011) [#13]
Second person to ask me that in 2 weeks! Nope only got the standard ones for xbox 360. I am now officially bidding for a dongle on ebay :)

Skn3(Posted 2011) [#14]
Heh didnt win my auction gladly as it was second hand and went for more than new product!

So there was a better buy it now listing with multiple items:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-WIRELESS-GAMING-USB-RECEIVER-ADAPTER-XBOX-360-/220800143423

Raz(Posted 2011) [#15]
Nice one :D I've done all 50 levels now, so I am just trying to figure out the best way of storing them. I've been parsing a text file which takes a while to load, and also testing storing the levels as monkey code based arrays but it takes an absolute age to translate so I need to come up with something there.

Skn3(Posted 2011) [#16]
Maybe you could do the compile with array data,... copy the generated monkey array code from the xna project and then paste it outside of the bit monkey replaces.

If you look for //${TRANSCODE_BEGIN} in the main.cpp (or whatever the main file is called in compiled xna project)

You could potentially look at putting your array data before the //${TRANSCODE_BEGIN} ?

[edit]

Or after //${TRANSCODE_END}. As long as you dont "build" your project after the intial compile then monkey will never replace before and after.

Raz(Posted 2011) [#17]
Ahh thanks, I'll give that a look :)

It'd be nice to define sections of code that don't need translating, but this would definitely do for now

Skn3(Posted 2011) [#18]
hey hey I got my xbox usb dongle doo da thing. Let me you know if you need any testing :) jonTODpittockTAgmailTODcom

Raz(Posted 2011) [#19]
I'll be in contact later today hopefully Skn3!

Raz(Posted 2011) [#20]
Email sent :)

Raz(Posted 2011) [#21]
Ninjah is now in the Peer Review process, so per chance any of you are subscribed to the creators club, if you want to do a review, that'd be grand :D

Pete Carter(Posted 2011) [#22]
I played your original version loads its a really great little game i think your levels were great. I remember getting very badly stuck on one of the latter levels though.

Raz(Posted 2011) [#23]
Thanks Pete :) Yes, the Xbox version is a bit more forgiving than the old version of Ninjah, primarily because of the use of a control pad, but secondarily because those old difficult levels were ridiculous :)

Raz(Posted 2011) [#24]
Ninjah has passed the peer review and is now available on Xbox through indie games for 80 points :D

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/Product/Ninjah/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550958

Neuro(Posted 2011) [#25]
I just finished my time trial on it, interesting game :)! I was busy trying to figure out the tutorial 10 level when it expired on me :). Only thing i would like to add is to allow for the control pad to be used along with left analog stick too.

matt(Posted 2011) [#26]
bought - well done :)

Raz(Posted 2011) [#27]
d'awwww much appreciated Matt :D