Pirate Solitaire - Monkey Edition

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Pirate Solitaire - Monkey Edition

therevills(Posted 2011) [#1]
Finally finished the Android version of PS

Coded in Monkey using Diddy :)

$1.50AUD for the full game:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.therevillsgames.piratesolitaire

Also Pirate TriPeak Solitaire which is Free:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.therevillsgames.piratesolitairetriPeaks

Next week the iOS version ;)

Shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#2]
Hey, congratulations on finishing your game.
It would be interesting to keep us informed on the sales of both platforms.

Cartman(Posted 2011) [#3]
Congratulations. When you get the time, could you provide us with details of pitfalls you found as you released this on the Android? Some of us have never made an app for the Android and would appreciate your insites.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#4]
We are pleased to announce that the iOS verison of Pirates in now available on the App Store:

http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/pirate-solitaire/id442150512?mt=8

(Now to think if I want to do it all over again - such a PITA!)

Supertino(Posted 2011) [#5]
Out of interest has there been alot of interest in the Android version? do you know how many downloads etc?

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#6]
Supertino, for Android you can look into his link above. It always shows how many downloads there are (on the right site). Currently it's between 10 and 50 downloads.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#7]
Out Now: Pirate Solitaire HD for iPad :)

http://itunes.apple.com/app/pirate-solitaire-hd/id445259115?mt=8#

anawiki(Posted 2011) [#8]
Just in case you didn't know it, your game works on Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 (model p1010). It's a bit blurry due to lower resolution of your art, but works pretty fast. I tested Pirate TriPeaks.

Supertino(Posted 2011) [#9]
Nice one therevills - good to see a Monkey game on these devices, proof if any one needed it that Monkey works and can only get better.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#10]
Ta Supertino :)

@Anawiki - where the art is a tad blurry due to the game graphics were resized to fix the 480x320 resolution. The HD iPad version is running at 1024 x 768 so it looks a lot better, not sure if its worth releasing a HD Android version...

anawiki(Posted 2011) [#11]
You know, when I look at your stats I doubt it is worth releasing for Android at all... though I guess it's lack of marketing on your side that probably is responsible for this.

JD0(Posted 2011) [#12]
Nice job. Looks like your customers love it, you definitely know that market!

Looks like you chose a graphical style that still looks good when shrunk/grown.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#13]
Flash version just released today on BFG:

http://www.bigfishgames.com/online-games/14159/pirate-solitaire/index.html

Supertino(Posted 2011) [#14]
Nice one.

c.k.(Posted 2011) [#15]
Doesn't come up for me on the Bigfish page using Chrome 15 (beta), with Flash Player 10.3. Does not come up in Firefox 7.0 (beta) either. :-(

It is cool how your game has 22,000+ hits and the next highest only has 1,700+. WOW!!! :D

dave.h(Posted 2011) [#16]
when you publish a flash game with a company like bigfish do you have to include any extra code that they give you and is it easy to do

therevills(Posted 2011) [#17]
@c.k. - Does any of the Big Fish Games work with those beta browsers?

@dave - Not with BFG, not even a splash screen (for the flash version).

c.k.(Posted 2011) [#18]
@therevills: Yes. For instance, this one works for me: http://www.bigfishgames.com/online-games/4180/ball-challenge/index.html

Supertino(Posted 2011) [#19]
Works for me FYI.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#20]
More than 10.000 sales on Android, WOW! Keep it up!

therevills(Posted 2011) [#21]
More than 10,000 sales on Android

LOL, I wish!! 10,000 installs for the free app!! ;)

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#22]
Hehe oh I see. Do you have ads in there? If so, is it worth it?

anawiki(Posted 2011) [#23]
Really, 10k installs? I didn't expect it will reach it after seeing initial numbers. Did you make any promotions/marketing recently?

therevills(Posted 2011) [#24]
@Xaron - nope no ads in there...

@Anawiki - nope no promotions or marketing...

(Sorry for the late replies)

BTW Just updated Pirate Solitaire and Pirate TriPeaks using the latest version of Monkey and added a "Please Buy Pirate Solitaire" button on the TriPeaks version, lets see what happens now ;)

benmc(Posted 2011) [#25]
How are you linking out to the Market / Web? Is there an OpenURL command somewhere?

therevills(Posted 2011) [#26]
Is there an OpenURL command somewhere?

I added it to Diddy ages ago...

therevills(Posted 2011) [#27]
Since I've updated both TriPeaks and Pirate Solitaire, our sales have been averaging around 5 a day instead of the 4 a week!!

We are getting a lot of "Cancelled" too, due to "The customer's operator billing account was not authorised for the order. This order was automatically cancelled.", which is a shame ;)

benmc(Posted 2011) [#28]
@therevills I am not using Diddy in my apps just because I am uncertain about the license. I'm not sure how to interpret the MIT license because it requires a copyright credit. Does that mean I have to put the copyright in the game itself, or just the code? I don't have a TOS popup on my new games, and didn't really want to do that, but I'd have to in order to display the entire MIT license disclaimer.

therevills(Posted 2011) [#29]
Basically MIT means you can use it free... but if you decide to use the library in another library (for example if you make your framework using Diddy) you must include the license and credit Diddy.

For a game, you can use it without any credit (although it would be nice ;))

benmc(Posted 2011) [#30]
Thank you for the clarification. Being able to use Diddy would save a lot of time, I just didn't understand whether or not I needed to put it in the credits, include a copyright statement, etc. I plan to put credits for everything on my website when the next game comes out.

EDIT: I think it's really cool that you are open sourcing all your work on Diddy and giving it such a flexible license. Thank you.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#31]
Its been around 10 days since I added the "Please Buy" link to TriPeaks and it does help :)

Wished I added it ages ago now...

samowitsch(Posted 2014) [#32]
What about Pirate Solitair for iOS 7 again? I can't find it in the App Store anymore ;-(

therevills(Posted 2014) [#33]
I wants making much/any money on iOS so I let my developer account expire... The amount of effort to get a game on the Apple app store just wasnt worth it.

Soap(Posted 2014) [#34]
Were your games direct buy or iap to upgrade to full? Did you do any cross promotion?

therevills(Posted 2014) [#35]
It was direct buy with a free version as well.

For Android a few weeks after going live I updated the free version to promote the paid version which did help at bit.

Recently I have added Admob (the IAP to remove the Ads), which has helped a lot with income at the expense of happy users.

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#36]
Is it out for windows 8 / 8.1

I know my wife would like it and definitely would get it for here.

Also hopefully eventually someone will do a tutorial on how to get an app through the whole windows process.