WIP:Asteriods Clone Thing

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/WIP:Asteriods Clone Thing

dawlane(Posted 2011) [#1]
As I've had a few days off from work I thought I would get to grips with monkey by doing a small asteroid clone with sprites.

Things left to do:
Add fly saucers that can fire shots with varying degrees of accuracy depending on level
Add meteor shower surprise
Add power ups ( addition shields for now )
Pause game
Save state
Implement sprite screen wrapping
Wait for better sound improvements on htlm5 and Flash.

I'll upload it when it's more complete

dawlane(Posted 2011) [#2]
Update:I've been playing on and off with this when ever I've had the time.

So what's new? Well the sprite screen wrapping is done. I've add four power ups (additional shield pick up, a limited time shield, rapid fire and smart bomb) the last three are activated as soon as they are collected.
The flying saucers are also in there. I've added two types... type 1 just fires missiles in the players general direction. On the other hand, type 2 also fires missiles in the players direction but with a twist as they lock on to the player if they are within a certain range. Both missile types have a limited life time.
The type 2 saucer appears at random through out the game but the type 1 only appear in certain levels and there can be up to five saucers in total on screen.
There is also title and in game music as well as a music on/off key plus the game can now be paused/resumed (thought the game still continues if the game has lost focus).
At the beginning of each new level or after the player has died the player is temporarily invulnerable and the type 2 missiles can't lock on.
I've also change the title and the font.

QuietBloke(Posted 2011) [#3]
I was gonna have a go but I cant seem to find it.
Has my brain just gone to sleep. There doesn't seem to be a way of seeing All the apps on the site.
In any category you only get to see 25 apps.

huh?

Jesse(Posted 2011) [#4]
he probably meant to post a personal link. as he doesn't have any applications in the apps section.

you can click on the user name and look at the user's applications. or you can click on the on the forum-> apps forum. and get all of the app threads.

Foppy(Posted 2011) [#5]
Is "Asteriod" intentional or should it be "Asteroid"?

dawlane(Posted 2011) [#6]
Is "Asteriod" intentional or should it be "Asteroid"?
No it wasn't intentional just had one too many (or not doing enough) when doing the title. It should have been Asteroid but never noticed it as I was to busy fixing bugs.

@QuietBloke
It was late when I posted and was going to add a link to it after I finished work the next day and get it up on the apps section.

But if you don't mind using flash here's a Link

NOTE:This is still a WIP so I don't know how this will run under the targets html5/flash on any one else's machine just make sure that you have the latest version of your web browser. Though my latop is a Core2 Duo T7700 (2.4GHZ) with a Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT GPU running Firefox 3.6.22. Plus there may be a few bugs (one is the players thruster when screen wrapping as it doesn't wrap around the screen).

QuietBloke(Posted 2011) [#7]
I gave it a go tonight.

Its looking good. Must say I didn't notice the spelling mistake either.

I had some trouble playing it though because on my Mac the Ctrl and cursor keys is used to switch between screens so I had to be very careful not to shoot while pressing a cursor key.

dawlane(Posted 2011) [#8]
@QuietBloke
Thanks. How did run? I haven't tried it on my iMac (2007) through the link yet. I have compiled it to run on my second gen iTouch and it ran quite well.

I had some trouble playing it though because on my Mac the Ctrl and cursor keys is used to switch between screens so I had to be very careful not to shoot while pressing a cursor key.
I disabled that on mine.

Oh and I've finally got it on apps section.

dawlane(Posted 2011) [#9]
Update:
Added additional game information title screens, a hi score table and some bug fixes.
Things left to do:
Fix some timing issues
Fix how the saucers appear on screen
Add the meteor shower surprise.

Note the web site is still under construction. I will more than likely complete this task when I have my holidays in December (one gloriously whole month).
Asteroid Field

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#10]
Update:
Ok did a complete rewrite (took two weeks in between doing other things) of this as the code got a little out of hand and made it a bit awkward to keep track of things plus it made it easier to add/alter features. Plus updated the character set and the title logo

The game is just about completed. So far all the main features of the game pay are there now.

The title screens consist:

Listing the input controls
Point scoring
List power-ups
Hi Score table

In the game:

All game objects wrap around the screen this includes showing half the object on one side of the playing area and the other half of the object on the other side.

The player is invulnerable for 10 seconds at the start of a level or when a player looses a life.

There can be 2 to 3 asteroids at the start depending on the level.
Power-Ups include extra shields,increased player fire rate,a smart bomb and a time extended shield. The last two are activated when picked up.

The red saucers appears randomly through out the game. But the grey saucer only appears at random times in certain levels.
The saucers now start outside the playing area and head to the centre. Once on screen they will wrap around the screen if they leave the playing area.

When a saucer fires a bullet they now target the players current position and will expire after a certain time has passed.

Bullets from the red saucer will reacquire the player if they come within range of the player.

When the red saucer is hit a random power-up maybe dropped. If the player is invulnerable picking up the time extended shield just give the player a additional shield.

Meteor showers will randomly occur from one of four direction through out the game.

Hi-scoring consist:
The player can enter 10 characters for a name. Once character 10 is entered the name is added to the hi score table. The player can select a character from a table of characters and can use special characters to add a space,rub out a letter and enter the current name to the hi score table.

The hi score table is then displayed showing the players position within it.

Things to do:
Improve collision detection
Implement a way to save the hi score table somewhere.
Add code for other platforms iOS,XBox.

And get round to completing the web site.

Asteroid Field (Flash)