Desserted

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/Desserted

Loofadawg(Posted 2011) [#1]
Does the world need yet another match three game?
More specifically, does the Android marked need yet another match three game?

It is saturated. Over saturated. Still, I ask myself: could there be room for just one more?

What if it featured a certain hungry robot mascot named after a certain mobile OS? One that just being fed, oh I don't know- certain desserts.

What should we call it?

How's about Desserted ?!

You know, deserted. deSSerted. BejewelED. Get it? Heh-heh! Okay, it is corny. Other names like Be-droid or Bee-droid came to mind, but my son likes the name and thought me witty (And *that* makes me feel good inside.)

While learning to code with Monkey, I decided I would start by creating a Bejeweled type game but with an Android theme. Gems replaced by its various OS (Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread... ...Ice Cream?)
and special items such as the Honeycomb Bee and the Market Bag (and ???) are used as powerups to clear sections of the playfield.

It is all very much WIP, but much of the basics are already functional, enough so that I feel I can post a screen shot without feeling too embarrassed.

I am the first to admit, it looks dull and much too green. Future plans are to allow between a choice between two sets of graphic sets. One of which is solely based on the official or semi-official desert graphics, and a much more colorful alternative.

Adding a cute/cool factor is Andy interacting somewhat with the game itself. Such as:

+After grouping three or more desserts, they fly into his mouth.

+Andy shakes his head at illegal moves.

+Gets mad if you take too long to feed him.

+Taunts.

+And possible dance moves when you complete a level.

So, that is pretty much it, in a rather large nutshell. Lots of polish to be done. I would like to actually sell this if it comes out as good as I hope it can be. But... I am thinking it might have to be free or ad supported. Legally, can I even use the Android and the other graphics? It appears at least from the over abundance of match 3 type games, that I am in safe waters to make another clone, though that could change(?). It just may not be profitable at all.

It is really just a learning project for myself, so if it just sits in the Monkeycoder website's Apps section and gets played, well I can be happy with that.

Your thoughts? I am a little nervous, so don't be too hateful.