WarHex - turn based strategy

Monkey Archive Forums/Monkey Projects/WarHex - turn based strategy

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi all,

two of us have started to create a small turn based strategy game. My part is the programming, my companion does the graphics.

The goal is to conquer all yellow fields or to destroy the enemy completely. It's still in very early development but here's some kind of screenshot to let you know which direction it goes:

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#2]
Cool. My kind of game :-)

Multi-player and AI opponents?

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#3]
Great! :) Mainly AI opponent first, maybe some kind of hot seat as well. Don't know about multiplayer yet, I guess this is a no go with monkey at the moment. ;)

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#4]
I guess this is a no go with monkey at the moment

Pah.. Use some monkey magic !

GW_(Posted 2011) [#5]
Lil' off topic....
I'm trying to project Monkey into the future and imagine the process of creating a professional multiplayer flash game.

At some point you'll need to integrate an Api like Player.IO.
How could that be done with all the name mangling? There is also the issue of advertisers api's and encrypters. I keep going back to the thought at best monkey is useful for prototyping things, but when it comes to release your gonna re-write the game it pure AS3.

The fact that you can't build a Flash app without the Mojo dependencies is big problem IMHO.

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#6]
I wouldn't worry about it... given time, things will work themselves out and all those missing bits will be filled in :-)

John Galt(Posted 2011) [#7]
....probably single handedly by Brucey!

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#8]
Hehe indeed! BTW: Good to see you here Brucey! :)

Skn3(Posted 2011) [#9]
Cool this looks good, a bit like weewar :) Rhodesy and myself discussed making a game like this during the Monkey beta test (but decided against it). Id be eager to see yours progress so there is at last a decent millitary hex game on iphone!

Rhodesy(Posted 2011) [#10]
We shall make this game one day!

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#11]
Hehe indeed. But at the moment chipmonkey (2d physics) is prio one then I'll continue with WarHex.

Raz(Posted 2011) [#12]
Picture in the first post isn't working for me, is it not available any more?

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#13]
I'm on vacation at the moment, will make some updates next week. :)

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#14]

MikeHart(Posted 2011) [#15]
Looking very good.

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#16]
v1.03

Especially the graphic has changed, and there are new units.

You can see the "fog of war" very nice here. :)

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#17]
Added some menu stuff...

Hima(Posted 2011) [#18]
Looking good! Can't wait to play it on my phone :)

degac(Posted 2011) [#19]
Hi
the game is developed with mobile device in mind?
Because - unless you use a tablet - I think on a 3,5" display text seems too tiny to read (for me): I don't know the resolution of the screenshot and if
they are 1:1 with the display.

In any case I'm waiting to play it!

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#20]
The resolution is 480x320 so iPhone 3. It's ok on my Desire HD, will check that out on smaller devices as well. Thanks! :)

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#21]
Some more screenshots. We've worked on some editors for maps and the units itself (which are in German because they won't be public anyway):

The unit editor:

The map editor:

It's now possible to set borders (which are visible around the river).

The game:

BTW: The editors are done with BlitzMax. ;)

slenkar(Posted 2011) [#22]
great graphics
looks like a good game too

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#23]
The AI works. Was quite tough with all that pathfinding and so on...

Human player:

Computer (please note that this is some kind of a debug view, that's why there is the path to the target marked and so on...):

xzess(Posted 2011) [#24]
This looks incredible good!
Do you have a working iOS port?
Keep on mate :)

Xaron(Posted 2011) [#25]
Thanks, yes iOS works, at least in the Emulator. Haven't tried on a real device beside Android yet. But it will be available for both iPhone and Android from the beginning.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#26]
Any update on this game?

Xaron(Posted 2012) [#27]
Yes we still work on that but the balancing is the difficult part. We just created a battleship game in between which went live yesterday, I'll create another thread for this. It plays on a hexagonal grid as well. :)

therevills(Posted 2012) [#28]
Cool!!

This looks great BTW and I hoped it didnt go into development hell :)