Cloud (web) based Monkey-X editor

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Cloud (web) based Monkey-X editor

Sensei(Posted 2017) [#1]
So, for quite some time now I've been looking at a way to make it possible for me to use my Chromebook or Android tablet/phone to work on Monkey-X code and games.

After many months of mulling the idea over, I created a web-based editor.

I've been working on this part-time while continuing with my day job, so it's taken longer than expected.
However, I think it's on the verge of completeness.

What I ask, is if any of you would like to sign up as beta testers to test it out for me so I can hopefully resolve any kinks that may still remain in the system.

I'm looking for up to 10 testers for a start. Like I said, this is a part-time effort for me, so time is not exactly abundant.

If you are interested in becoming a beta tester, please send me an email and I'll provide further instructions.

I'll keep this thread updated with the progress as it moves along :)

Many thanks,
Jaco

Simonsuuri(Posted 2017) [#2]
Cool! this is interesting :)

dubbsta(Posted 2017) [#3]
cool i have asus tf701 and thinking of upgrading to chromebook since i have so much invested in the droid market. i was always hoping to code monkey from either, so this sounds great. im still learning but can find lots of code to copy and paste and run, and do some coding/learning myself. im waiting for the chromebook pro in a month or 2 but have my tab now. anyway looking forward to this. if you find better candidates cool if not im willing to test it, i do wish for something more official though :)

edit: this got me curious and made me search this.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1636901/can-linux-apps-be-run-in-android

since programs like wine work on linux then linux programs should be easily run on android/chromebook and if thats the case can we then use the linux ver. of monkey to run on android instead of installing a full linux os? i would know the first step to take but to at least bring it up might get a willing persons gears turning.

Pakz(Posted 2017) [#4]
I have a android tablet and phone. I would be interested in seeing and testing this. Will send email.

Sensei(Posted February) [#5]
Thanks guys. Send me an email to monkey(at)bitkeeper.co.uk with your real name and monkey-x forum name so I know who I'm dealing with :)

Sensei(Posted February) [#6]
@dubbsta - thanks for being willing to test. Please send me an email so I can provide you with the information to start testing.

@Pakz - thanks for your email. I hope you got my email with the instructions. Let me know how you get on (via email only please).

To all interested: This is a living project so iterations will occur as more features are integrated or things are changed. Don't let this put you off.

Sensei(Posted February) [#7]
@Pakz and others. If the validation email doesn't arrive within 30mins after you registered, please check your gmail/hotmail/yahoo etc junk folders. For some reason they don't like my domain name...

Pakz(Posted March) [#8]
Is this thing stil active? I have not heared anything for a while.

Sensei(Posted March) [#9]
Hi yes it is. I'm finishing off some inline documentation and have so far received valuable feedback from existing testers.
I will likely release it in the next week or so, and will update this thread with the info then.

Thanks!

Sensei(Posted March) [#10]
Ok, so I've finally got to a point where I feel the editor is ready for release.
Obviously there will be some daft questions, some proper questions and bewilderment in using the editor, so if you have any questions, please contact me on the website or ask in this thread if you like :)

Welcome to mBlend - the online "cloud" editor to work on Monkey-X prototypes/ideas.
Do you know of Codeanywhere? JSFiddle? Codepen? Then you get the idea of what mBlend is and does for Monkey-X prototyping.

Since I mostly use my Chromebook for coding, and since there is no Chrome app or something other than remote desktop into a windows/linux box to work on Monkey-X code, I decided to build this editor.

It is based on the Ace editor. I created a Monkey-X keyword completer and highlighter. I also have built-in help and additional links to external help.
I have built it to be mobile and tablet friendly, but more tablet than your mobile phone. This is mainly due to the space needed to edit code and on a mobile phone the on-screen keyboard and the editor seem to fight each other from time to time.

You can register for a free account and access the editor at https://mblend.bitkeeper.co.uk

All the features are listed and explains the difference between the free and paid version.

I will likely add more features as time goes by, but since I do this on the side, time is not always on my side. In case you are wondering, Devninja is my business name and mBlend is just one of the apps I am working on to expand my business and my website services, since I recently set my business up.

Any questions, please ask.

PS. Thanks to those that gave me valuable feedback during the Beta testing as it helped improve and fix things I may have overlooked otherwise!