Developing on a VPC (virtual desktop)

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Developing on a VPC (virtual desktop)

Sensei(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hey guys, I was unable to find any previous posts about this, so I was hoping someone could let me know if they've done this and any caveats they've discovered in doing so.

My current Win 7 pc build is getting slow and unwieldy, on top of the fact that it's also my gaming pc, and frankly I'd like to separate them out since I am on the verge of doing a fresh re-install as I'm upgrading my D: drive to SSD anyway.

My plan is to build a game dev environment on a virtual PC (Virtual Box) and running Windows 7.
Building to HTML isn't the problem.
My questions is as follows:
If I was to RDP (remote desktop) into this VPC for doing game dev from any computer/laptop I use, would I be able to do desktop builds that require openGL (ie, desktop windows app).
I don't mind if I have to run the build exe on my main desktop PC for testing, but as long as the desktop build will build on the VPC.
I plan to run Virtual Box on a Linux Mint machine if that makes any difference..

The other alternative, was to install Virtual Box on each of my machines and run the Win 7 VPC off a USB 3.0 stick. I'm suspecting that would be painfully slow though?