osx fresh install wont build, weird, modpath error

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/osx fresh install wont build, weird, modpath error

Skn3(Posted 2015) [#1]
I am just creating this thread for anyone who faces this issue in the future.

So I did the following steps:
- Clean install of El Capitan
- Downloaded a fresh copy of monkey
- Modify the osx config MODPATH to add a new folder
- tried to build something

Nothing would build. I was getting "app" class not found errors and also modpath error. I looked at the modpath... all seemed fine! Tried to build, no luck. I tried removing the modpath I had added. It wouldn't build???

Turns out that when using TextEdit (built in text editor) it will change the quotes to formatted start/end versions. So for example "hello world" automatically gets changed to “hello world”.

I would usually use sublime for text editing, but it was a fresh install so my haste caused some major confusion.

Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#2]
A lot of things in TextEdit have now be turn on by default and Smart Quotes is one of them. This happened with the release of Mavericks If I recall. One thing that I just cannot be bother to look into is why the Android SDK manager cannot fetch the updates from the server.

This new release of OS X is somewhat of a pain with them locking down parts of the system. I think that with the next few releases they will lock down OS X completely and turn every Apple computer into a iPad with a keyboard and a mouse.

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#3]
I always edit the config files within TED.