Mojo2 SetColor Alias

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Mojo2 SetColor Alias

Raz(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi all,

I understand you can do function alias' so I would like to make it so SetColor(Int,Int,Int) maps to

Function MySetColor(r:Int,g:Int,b:Int)
    canvas.SetColor(Float(r)/255.0,Float(g)/255.0,Float(b)/255.0
End

Is that doable?

degac(Posted 2015) [#2]
Yes
But when you want to set the colour of a drawing operation involving another canvas? At this point pass this parameter.

You could even do this
Function SetColor:Int(gc:Canvas,r:Int,g:Int,b:Int)
    gc.SetColor(Float(r)/255.0,Float(g)/255.0,Float(b)/255.0)
    Return 0
End

Raz(Posted 2015) [#3]
Cheers degac, I'm using a SetCanvas() function to set the relevant canvas before doing any drawing functions but I'm struggling with the alias part

degac(Posted 2015) [#4]
So you want to wrap mojo2 in Blitz3d-style function?
The old 'SetBuffer' is back!

I just tested, and you can write your own SetColor(r,g,b) function that overload everything else
Function SetColor:Int(r:Int,g:Int,b:Int)
    _currentCanvas.SetColor(Float(r)/255.0,Float(g)/255.0,Float(b)/255.0)
    Return 0
End

assuming _currentCanvas is the one set via SetCanvas()

TBH I would like to see (I will write myself probably!) - like in BMax- some 'wrapping' function, like DrawImageRect, DrawSubImageRect... at the moment you must use DrawRect() and check what syntax use.

Raz(Posted 2015) [#5]
Nice one thank you. I've no idea why I didn't just write an actual SetColor() function.... I think I was trying to hard to see an issue that wasn't there!

I've just had some fun sorting lots of drawing commands, I'm not going mad am I? It's not possible to do Image.MidHandle with Mojo2 is it?

I see DrawImageRect needs some sort of manual creation as well

degac(Posted 2015) [#6]
Hi

It seems you need to play with the Matrix command to use rotation with DrawRect

You need to use an image, the size of my image was 128x128 pixels (so -64,-64 is the 'center' from the upper-left corner of the 'rect').
Please note that I'm a beginner too, so many graphics feature in mojo2 are completely new (or unknow - like Material?)

degac(Posted 2015) [#7]
This is a version with an hacked DrawRect

The function simulates/includes the rotation/matrix commands... of course it's no an efficient way to do things I suppose.

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2015) [#8]
@Raz: Mojo 2 has handles, like Mojo. They just aren't handled with a flag for mid-handling. Because mid-handling was so common, it is now the default. The 'Image.Load' and 'Image.LoadFrames' commands both have handle-arguments (Ratios; 0.0 to 1.0) before they take in flags. Flags now have a very different purpose; they're used for filtering, context-safety, and mip-mapping. From what I understand, the 'DrawRect' overloads that take in 'Images' are specifically set up to not use handles. So, that's why you'd need to do what Degac is doing.

@degac: I'm not a complete expert, but I can at least answer some of your questions. For example, Mojo 2's 'Material' system is basically a way of grouping textures. They can have different textures depending on the shader used, allowing you to pass things like bump-maps. 'Image' objects now simply describe an area in a 'Material'. The normal "image" you load from the device is contained by the 'Material' as 'ColorTexture', and is used for things like the 'Width' and 'Height' properties. And of course, it's used to draw the main image you loaded. 'Textures' are now simply resources that reference texture handles in the OpenGL context. Previously, this was done using a private 'Surface' class. With Mojo 2, this is all available for you to manage as you see fit. So, 'Images' describe an area of a 'Material', and 'Materials' hold 'Textures', which represent textures on the graphics card.

degac(Posted 2015) [#9]
@ImmutableOctet: thanks for the explanation, very simple but clear.

I suppose Material are usuful when using shaders.

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2015) [#10]
@Raz: Though it's probably not as useful now, I put together this experimental module. It should be an okay reference for what is equivalent in Mojo 2. I advise against actually using the module, considering how inefficient it currently is. Mojo 1's built-in fonts are especially not handled efficiently by that. Still, I can get the examples running with it, so that's something. It could be useful later on for giving existing games WebGL, or shader support.

Raz(Posted 2015) [#11]
Oh nice one, thanks will give it a go :)