Is anyone making money from Monkey X based games?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Is anyone making money from Monkey X based games?

mejon(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi, I'm new to Monkey X and I was just wondering if anyone has actually had success at generating revenue from games/apps they made with Monkey X. I had a look at the games that are listed on the official site as being ones that are produced using Monkey X. They weren't ones that I had particularly heard of, but maybe that is down to my own niavity.

I'm new to games making in general, although I have worked a little with Corona SDK before. If anyone has any tips about how to go about generating revenue, and could pass that on, that would be helpful. Also, is it possible to make a hit game using Monkey X?

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#2]
mejon wrote:
Also, is it possible to make a hit game using Monkey X?

What or whom do you want to hit? There are touch, mouse, and keyboard controls available. Do you have the Ignition X bundle (or it's successor Pyro)?

mejon(Posted 2015) [#3]
By "hit game" I mean a very popular game.

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#4]
Making a very popular game may depend more on your (teams) skills (ideas, coding, sound, graphics, usability, general appearance),
some smart (or outside-of-the-box) marketing, and probably some luck and (mere) chance.
Collegues of mine are playing aa all the time on their iPhones, having problems with levels 180+.
Very simple concept, although challenging. Gets many ordinary people hooked/addicted.
Maybe that's what you want - making an addictive and challenging game. Yes, that's possible using MonkeyX, but I think
it has not much to do with the programming language itself.

Soap(Posted 2015) [#5]
The tool doesn't really matter in making a game successful or not. Tools which target only iOS or only Windows can still be very successful.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/247080/ Crypt of the NecroDancer was made with Monkey and is probably the most successful Monkey game so far.

Look at what they did with marketing. It's things some other devs do not really want to do, but obviously it can be worthwhile, and making a good game that people want to buy helps also.

Read this: https://medium.com/@galyonkin/some-things-you-should-know-about-steam-5eaffcf33218

Volker(Posted 2015) [#6]
There is New Star Soccer with more than 5 million downloads. Made with Monkey.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.newstargames.newstarsoccer

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#7]
There's also retro-style >multi-platform< games made with MonkeyX:
- Tiny Thor
- Bloo Kid 2

Representing pixelated retro-style, those games don't show off full MonkeyX graphics capabilities, of course.
Anyway, just try it on your iPhone/iPad or Android device. Both are fun to play!

therevills(Posted 2015) [#8]
My little games which I have made with MX brings me in around $600 USD per month... Not heaps but its okay...

Snader(Posted 2015) [#9]
At the moment about 180 Euro's a month, only on admob. Half a year ago it was about 350 Euro's a month. All made with monkey: https://play.google.com/store/apps/dev?id=5667135433825289300

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2015) [#10]
I absolutely, point blank, refuse to start adding horrible IAPs, Adverts and other such things.
It means my games are clean and clear and free from evil "F2P" type things.

... It also means I'm making practically nothing from this whole thing, as Mobile people tend to prefer free stuff, as opposed to .. You know.. GOOD stuff..
*tsk*

SpikeDislike3 went on sale this week, and has managed to sell about 100 or so copies on iOS, which isn't great, but realistically, SpikeDislike has always been a hard sale.

It's also sold 10 (ten) copies on Android, where it's also popped up on a bazillion piracy sites, so it's nice that giving away my *bleeping* home address because of GooglePlay's *bleeping* rules has managed to net me a whole *bleeping* £6 before being pirated to insanity. Oh, boy! Android Dev is FUN!!!!

TeaBoy(Posted 2015) [#11]
About 27 cents so far with Circolour ;) I don't expect to make anything, although I would like too.

@therevills, $600 USD per month is very impressive in my book and something to aspire too.

rIKmAN(Posted 2015) [#12]
Crypt of the NecroDancer was made with Monkey and is probably the most successful Monkey game so far.

I know it did well, but is it really more successful than New Star Soccer?

Soap(Posted 2015) [#13]
In terms of $ I would guess it is. New Star Soccer is successful, has maybe max 2 million downloads on Android / iOS at least, but it is still a free to download game.

Crypt of the NecroDancer costs $14.99 and has at least 220,000 purchases.

I may be wrong though and ads and IAP make a lot more than the purchases do.

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#14]
I know it did well, but is it really more successful than New Star Soccer?

I read in an interview with the Simon Read that he actually had enough (at the time) to buy a brand new Ferrari, but this was a few years ago so who knows how much he's gained until now.

therevills(Posted 2015) [#15]
@jay, I've given up trying to sell mobile games and I've gotten more revenue from ads by doing so. It also allows you to compete with the pirate version since your version are also free... You may want try to rethink about ads at least.

Soap(Posted 2015) [#16]
+1 to what therevills says. Don't disregard ads, especially if you can make money from a game which has ads in it enough to fund more ambitious projects!

If you make your game free, and let users gain some kind of thing (like a vanity cosmetic unlock) by watching an ad you can make good money if your game becomes popular.