Pyro is out!

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Pyro is out!

marksibly(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi,

Pyro v1.01a is out!

Pyro is a new game framework for Monkey X and the spiritual successor to Ignition X

Pyro was written from scratch with all the cool new features of Mojo 2 (and ONLY Mojo 2!) in mind and anticipating the arrival of Monkey 2!

You can BUY Pyro here: https://shopper.mycommerce.com/checkout/cart/add/53762-1

Aftert purchase you should recieve a license key that you can use to activate Pyro at http://support.playniax.com

For support or bug reports you can go the brand new Pyro forums: http://www.playniax.com/forums/pyro

PYRO FEATURES

* Screen manager and screens
* Scenegraph with sprites, tiles, dynamic lighting (point and shape), shadow casting and fog
* Tile engine ( orthogonal, Isometric and Isometric staggered tile maps )
* Scene builder / loader
* Render to texture
* Splash/loader screen
* Skinnable GUI system ( layer, image, button, label, progress bar, input box and light )
* Generic particle system
* Delta timer class
* Storage system for saving game data
* Collision / score system
* Highscore manager
* Bitmap fonts + TTF font exporter
* Object pool system
* Content manager
* Texturepacker support
* Common code library
* Sound effects library
* Tons of extra commands and functions

Pyro comes with source code examples, project templates and documentation.

Online docs can be found here: http://docs.playniax.com/html/3rd%20party%20modules_Pyro.html

Docs will improve over time!

Pyro discount coupon code
-------------------------

If you already have an Ignition X license you can download a new version of Ignition v2.06 here: http://support.playniax.com (replacing http://ignitionxlive.com)

You need to create an account and activate your Ignition X product to download the Ignition X zip file (for this you need you license code).

The Ignition X zip file contains a file called coupon.txt containing a coupon code, and you can use this to get a 15% discount!

Note that we have a 100 coupon codes available and they will expire at the end of July!

Monkey X studio users can request a coupon code at contact@...

You can BUY Pyro (and use the coupon code) here: https://shopper.mycommerce.com/checkout/cart/add/53762-1

(posted on behalf of Tony from Playniax)

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#2]
Got it!!!!!!!

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#3]
Hmm well, I can login at http://ignitionxlive.com with my existing credentials but the latest Ignition X version there is 2.05. I had to create a new account at http://support.playniax.com but if I want to enter there my registration key for the existing Ignition X license it's not acknowledged...

Oh and of course: CONGRATULATIONS! I'm really looking forward to get this gem! :)

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#4]
Try it now! Should be fixed.

Go to http://support.playniax.com ( http://ignitionxlive.com will shut down eventually )

It seems not all code where succesfully exported to our new site.
I will try to find out what is wrong.

> CONGRATULATIONS!

Thank you, it was a fun but intensive job!

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#5]
Thanks Tony, works now! :) Will buy it immediately and use it for my next project. :)

Snader(Posted 2015) [#6]
I have the same problem as Xaron. I am able to login at ignitionxlive.com and see my registration code (IgnitionX and rube importer), but when I create a new account at http://support.playniax.com/, I cannot add my registratioin code, it won't be accepted..

CopperCircle(Posted 2015) [#7]
Same problem for me, it wont accept my IgnitionX or Rube registration code on support.playniax.com?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#8]
ok, guys, try it now!

Snader(Posted 2015) [#9]
Still not working..

Amon(Posted 2015) [#10]
Not working here either.

thoast(Posted 2015) [#11]
I am pretty disappointed right now about the development trend of Monkey X and Ignition X. In my eyes Ignition X is not even in beta status atm. The documentation (of ignition) lacks in pretty much every deeper step. Development is a debugging pain. Just mho.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#12]
Sorry, I was asking the guys who posted here to try again.

I was in the process checking the others.

I hope now all codes work but if that is not the case then please send me an email directly!

Also, you need to choose the right product. Igntion X or bundle and enter your license key code.

I apologies for this little speed bump.

Edit I think what happend is that some time ago we switched from Share-it to MyCommerce and it looks like I did not port some of the older license keys from Share-it to MyCommerce.

Snader(Posted 2015) [#13]
Seems to work fine now! Thanks

But the Rube Importer Add on Module won't

CopperCircle(Posted 2015) [#14]
Thanks, IgnitionX registered for me now, but not the Rube Importer.

Edit: I see RUBE is included in the latest IgnitionX now. Thanks.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#15]
The R.U.B.E. importer is now included and no longer a stand alone product!

So downloading the latest Ignition X downloads the R.U.B.E. importer also!

http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=9839

Some more Pyro demos will be posted soon...

Snader(Posted 2015) [#16]
Bought it! This time I am actually going to use it Playniax! ;)

skape(Posted 2015) [#17]
Registration works for me now too. Sweet!

Going to purchase a Pyro license immediately. :)

Congrats Tony, et al.!

tiresius(Posted 2015) [#18]
Will purchase of Pyro now cover whatever type of Pyro-like thing happens with MX2 ?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#19]
According to Mark I should not have to much trouble getting it to run on Monkey 2 and the Pyro license will apply to the 'port'.

As soon as I get my hands on Monkey 2! :)

werton(Posted 2015) [#20]
I am very sorry, do not think me impudent. My question to Playniax. For those who have previously acquired a R.U.B.E. Importer no additional discounts will not? Indeed, until recently we bought rube importer separately from IgnitionX for$ 30, and now it became part IgnitionX and Pyro at the same price. I think it would be fair to make the owners of the R.U.B.E. Importer small additional discount, but it's certainly up to you.
sorry for bad english

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#21]
Not sure if this is mojo2 or pyro but when running the e04_gamesprite demo on Glfw3, it runs really slow as compared to on HTML5. Anyone else getting this?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#22]
Valid point Werton, I guess I can give the R.U.B.E. guys an additional discount. Please contact me if you are interested and you will get a R.U.B.E. discount coupon. For the guys who already bought Pyro and feel the same please contact me also.

Btw, Pyro does NOT support R.U.BE. yet (and Box2d).

I will post a Pyro 'roadmap' ASAP.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#23]
@Neuro:
That is strange. That is one of the lightest demos in pyro! It is not using any lighting or shadow stuff. Only thing I can think of right now is that it is one of the few demos that displays text. Can you do a test and remove the lines that display the text?

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#24]
@Playniax :
I was gonna try that but now (i'm testing on my MacbookPro at work...) i'm getting an even more bizarre "memory access violation" error, which loads up the math3d.monkey file at the function Mat4Inverse() line 60. All the required data files are there after the build......WTF???? This happens with any of the Pyro samples that uses an image.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#25]
I just tested it and it seems to work fine on my mac.

Few questions:

1. Did you test this with Mojo 2 bananas? (non Pyro stuff)
2. To me it looks like you are running parallels right?
3. Does this happen on HTML5?
4. It did run on Windows right?
5. What is the full path you are using just before /Desktop/Dev etc..? (you can email if needed)

Sometimes folder paths can cause problems with monkey if they are to long or they have spaces inside. You can try to move your monkey folder to a less deeper path and avoid strange characters to test.

Anyone else having this problem (on mac)?

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#26]
1. yep, all the mojo2 bananas work fine
2. Actually running VMVare Fusion
3. No, HTML5 runs for everything
4. Yes i'm running on a Windows 8.1 VM.
5. Full path is c:/firstname lastname/desktop/dev/....

Actually there is space there between the firstname and lastname. But then again, this is the first time this has actually happened. I'm gonna try this out directly on the OSX environment to see if same thing happens...

computercoder(Posted 2015) [#27]
Tony,

I recently came back to start game development again. I had to take a rather long break from development of any kind. I literally got burned out. Burn-out time has worn off and I'm re-energized to begin game development again. Had to step back here and check on all things Monkey! To my surprise, I found Monkey with Mojo2 and Pyro! I went ahead and updated to the newest Monkey-X Pro, IgnitionX, registered on the new Playniax forum and purchased Pyro :)

I've been playing with Pyro all night... It's a VERY nice framework so far, and its been fun to build stuff with. I'm well on my way to getting my game going already =8D

GOOD JOB!

I'm totally re-energized, and thanks to Mark's and your efforts, I'll have even more fun doing it all!

EDIT: I read through and played with ALL the tutorials in the documentation section. It's MUCH easier to follow with how you have it now than before. It "flows" better. I can't wait till you add Box2D / R.U.B.E. to Pyro. For now, I have pretty much everything I need to get my game up. I like the Scene Management, and how it all works together. I haven't dove far enough into it to see if you preserved the ability to use themes like Ignition X has.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#28]
Thank you! We really appreciate that.

Arthur(Posted 2015) [#29]
Very cool framework!
Haven't programmed on BRL languages during last 6 years. And now considering to make a few prototypes with Monkey and Pyro.
Is there any cool modules for tweening/easying/animations, pathfinding?
What particle editor can be used with Pyro to set up particle effects?

It there a way to exclude part of image from lighting effects? For example I have space ship and want to apply normal maps and specular maps on it. It is easily done thanks to mojo2 and Pyro. But also I want to keep some glowing parts of this ship to be drawn with 100% brightness all the time, like there is no effect of ambient and point lights on this area at all.

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#30]
Only one demo showing a few lights, empty board with no forum sections, no website. Little bit disappointing, to be honest.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#31]
For Pyro we have chosen a so called soft launch.

We are in the process of updating the website, porting the relevant igntion X demos to Pyro and creating new ones. As far as our forum is concerned, Pyro is only a little bit more than 1 day old... The only suspected 'bug' and comments so far are posted here anyway.

At this point Pyro and Ignition X do no differ so much (a lot of ported demos will look the same anyway) except Pyro is written especially for Mojo 2 adding a lot of new possibilities now but especially in the future (and Monkey 2 of course).

Now, Ignition X has over 225 examples but most of them are showing the same thing over and over making it harder to find consistency. For Pyro I want a more efficient method or different approach. Actually, personally I found 'less to be more' while I was learning Mojo 2.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#32]
@Arthur
Is there any cool modules for tweening/easying/animations, pathfinding?

No, not yet.
There is much code on this available that I did not see the priority now.

What particle editor can be used with Pyro to set up particle effects?

No editor (yet). I am waiting for Rigzsoft to port his TimeLineFX player to Mojo 2 so I can integrate it.
Actually the generic particle class in Pyro is very versatile and in my experience most particle effects can be programmed easily without any editor.

It there a way to exclude part of image from lighting effects?

This can be done when you create the normal and specualr maps before you use them.
Now Mojo 2 has render to texture so probably you can do some of these things 'on the fly' but I am not sure so you need to ask Mark.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#33]
@Neuro, any news on that bug?

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#34]
@Playniax: Actually, personally I found less to be more while I was learning mojo 2

You want €60 / US$75 for one demo showing a few lights, and saying the product can do nearly the same as the product we already paid for?

It's a joke, right?

IgnitionX presentation was much better, sorry...

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#35]
> You want €60 / US$75 for one demo showing a few lights, and saying the product can do nearly the same as the product we already paid for?

You are taking things out of context!

Your not buying 1 demo, your buying a license for a complete framework with features mentioned above, tutorials and samples (future updates included) and Pyro supports Mojo 2 opening up new possibilities!!!

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#36]
I am just telling you what one (potential) customer from outside is seeing, and that's just one lighting demo, an empty forum,
documentation with non-executable (why not use HTML5?) examples (just codes, lines of text), and no website or anything like that.

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#37]
As a customer (both Monkey, Monkey2, Ignition X, Pyro 2) I think a website and a forum is the last thing I expect to see. I've seen so many shining web 2.0 websites for products which are trash and then there are products like Monkey, where the website is trash, well ok, it looks better now than in the past. :D

The price of 60$ is nothing for what's behind it. You can take a look into the asset store of Unity if you want to compare that stuff, because Pyro is some kind of an asset for Monkey.

Anyway maybe I'm just a fanboy but that's my opinion at least. ;)

Koburn(Posted 2015) [#38]
Wait, forgive my possible ignorance but does this mean Ignition X wont be ported to Monkey/Mojo 2? I just bought Ignition X not too long ago and I would really love to see it be updated along with Monkey X.

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#39]
@Neuro, any news on that bug?

So i ran it on the OSX Mac side and it ran perfectly fine. Runs fine on my Windows 8.1 PC laptop (although really slow..). But still no luck on the VM Windows 8 though. I even moved the project folder out and stuck it on the desktop but still has that memory access violation error when trying to run it on Glfw3. So weird....i dunno.

pit(Posted 2015) [#40]
Hi,

I bought ignition not too long also.
And I would understand what are the advantages of Pyro comparing to Ignition ?
In other term, why I "should" pay again for Pyro as user of Ignition ?

I must admit that the futur of monkey become UNclear.
We see a Monkey 2 coming
In the same time a Mojo 2 for Monkey 1
Then Ignition goes to Pyro
What next ?

So last question: is Pyro compatible with monkey 2 or do we have to buy another product for Monkey 2

werton(Posted 2015) [#41]
Personally, I see only these advantages Pyro over IgnitionX: dynamic lighting (point and shape), shadow casting and fog, render to texture. Upon reflection, I have decided to wait to buy, because 50$ (with discount) is still a little expensive for me for such upgrade (for example, for the same money on Steam, with current discounts i can buy 5 products - Clickteam Fusion 2.5 with Developer upgrade, export modules for Android, iOS and agk2 in addition). Besides, nobody forbids me to adapt IgnitionX for Mojo2, and implement support for the missing functionality by myself. Don't get me wrong, IgnitionX and Pyro are good engines, and the author did a great job, but if you already have IgnitionX, that the Pyro don't looks like a "must have" upgrade yet. imho.

skape(Posted 2015) [#42]
Pyro has been rewritten from scratch. So far, I find it is much more consistent and straightforward and simplified in its execution.

@werton
...but if you already have IgnitionX, that the Pyro don't looks like a "must have" upgrade yet. imho.

Depending on your viewpoint, I suppose I could agree with this. It doesn't do much more than Ignition at the moment, but it does seem to do it better. It is lacking in a few areas when compared to Ignition at the moment, but it is also a much younger engine. I am happy with my Pyro purchase so far and am looking forward to seeing where it goes.

@pit
So last question: is Pyro compatible with monkey 2 or do we have to buy another product for Monkey 2

From what Tony has said, it sounds like it will be ported to MX2 once MX2 is released.

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#43]
Yep, some more run-able examples, highlighting the new (Mojo2) features of Pyro, would be great.
And a website (section) for the new product. My credit card is waiting for transfering coins... ;)

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#44]
Yep, some more run-able examples, highlighting the new (Mojo2) features of Pyro, would be great.
And a website (section) for the new product

Coming soon...

Do we have to buy another product for Monkey 2

No, the license for Pyro is for Monkey 1 and Monkey 2 so when Monkey 2 is out I will make the necessary adaptations and Pyro for Monkey 2 will be a free upgrade for existing Pyro users.

Does this mean Ignition X wont be ported to Monkey/Mojo 2

Ignition X will (probably) not be ported to Monkey 2. So Pyro is available for Monkey 1 and will be available for Monkey 2.

I must admit that the future of monkey become UNclear

Actually, it has not looked better in a while! Mark just did a HUGE upgrade for Monkey 1! He really put a lot of effort in this. Complete new render system, file requesters, better doc system, a lot of tweaking and... at the same time worked with me on Pyro, completely custom made for it!!! Anyway, in software a product has a relatively short life span. At some point software needs to be progressive to stay relevant. While working on this it just made sense for me to go back to the 'drawing board' and create the best possible framework / engine for Monkey 2 / Mojo 2 that I can make. If you are happy with the Mojo 1 features then Monkey 1 / Ignition X is a powerful tool. If you need the Mojo 2 features then Monkey 1 / Pyro or later Monkey 2 / Pyro could be your choice! Mark has said that he will continue to support and tweak Monkey 1 and I will do the same with Ignition X. But, for Monkey 2 this will be Pyro.

tiresius(Posted 2015) [#45]
I didn't realize Pyro doesn't have Box2D - I assumed all IgnitionX features were already there. Is there a plan to add Box2D ?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#46]
Is there a plan to add Box2D ?

Yes.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#47]
Small update Pyro v1.01b (for Monkey X Pro v84b) is up!

• Removed text filters causing 'Monkey Runtime Error : Can't find //@vertex chunk'
• Added SetValue and Value property to prTile (simple integer property)

rIKmAN(Posted 2015) [#48]
Tony this sounds amazing - congrats on getting it all together so quickly!

I already own IgnitionX and the R.U.B.E Importer, so from what I have read I am able to get 2 discount coupons.

A few questions if you wouldn't mind...

What is the final price for Pyro with these discounts for existing customers?
I understand the IgnitionX coupon is inside the new zip file, but where do I get the discount coupon for owning the R.U.B.E Importer?

Will the R.U.B.E Importer I have already purchased carry over to work with Pyro, or will I have to buy another Pyro R.U.B.E Importer art some point in the future?

Lastly, could you clarify the website situation as previous posts confused me a little.
Do we have to sign up on another site now?

Great work, looking forward to seeing where this rabbit hole goes :)

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#49]
Tony this sounds amazing - congrats on getting it all together so quickly!

Thanks! I did not sleep much :)

I already own IgnitionX and the R.U.B.E Importer, so from what I have read I am able to get 2 discount coupons.

Uhm, they are not culumintive.
Better to use the RUBE 1 because it gives you 20% discount on the $65 (excl. VAT)
Unless you want to buy 2 Pyros :)
Better to send me an email and I will send the coupon code.

Will the R.U.B.E Importer I have already purchased carry over to work with Pyro, or will I have to buy another Pyro R.U.B.E Importer art some point in the future?

Yes, once completed the box2d and R.U.B.E. stuff will be included with Pyro basic.

Lastly, could you clarify the website situation as previous posts confused me a little. Do we have to sign up on another site now?

Well, Ignitionxlive.com will shut down. We have a new and improved support site ( http://support.playniax.com ) for product updates. Just create an account and use your license keys to activate your products. We are currently working on demos and promotional material so hold on. Things to come!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#50]
Pyro roadmap here

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#51]
Nice looking world editor! Does it also build tile maps or is that still separate by using tiled?

rIKmAN(Posted 2015) [#52]
Holy sh*t that editor looks/sounds great!

Do you have any plans to integrate Box2D into the editor, or a way to allow easy implementation of Box2D with the exported levels?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#53]
Does it also build tile maps or is that still separate by using tiled?

One of the improvements over Ignition X is that Pyro can put tiles directly on the engine layer (in Ignition you have to attach a map to a layer) making it much easier to integrate it in this editor so yes, you can build tilemaps wtih it. This may not be at initiall release though but some updates later. I will have to see how that goes.

And Tiled support will stay in of course! (as longs at that makes sense anyway)

Do you have any plans to integrate Box2D into the editor, or a way to allow easy implementation of Box2D with the exported levels?

Atleast some basic stuff to begin with...

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#54]
Aha!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally fixed that damn memory exception violation issue on GLFW!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was seriously going to have to violate this damn laptop had it continued. I had to comment out all other other MinG references in the configuration file except for the one that was actually active. Weird how i was able to compile and run everything anyways but always got that error. Nonetheless, now i can finally continue getting back into some monkey business..

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#55]
Thanks Neuro for letting me know!

Little update on the docs.

Most examples now have an executable demo link (all will have this as soon as I fix a small bug in my tool that creates the links).

http://docs.playniax.com/html/3rd%20party%20modules_Pyro.html

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#56]
Work in progress...

Rumphiz(Posted 2015) [#57]
I never really get on with other peoples frameworks but I thought I'd give this a shot and I'm glad I did. Works really well, nice and clean, good work!

What would be really useful is a small game demo using all the features and it looks like that's what your working on?

Skn3(Posted 2015) [#58]
Purchased a license to help the cause! Good looking stuff mate. The GUI is coming along nicely in your world editor shot!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#59]
I never really get on with other peoples frameworks but I thought I'd give this a shot and I'm glad I did. Works really well, nice and clean, good work!

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

We have put a lot of thought in how to make it user friendly.

You never know in advance but I am getting the feedback I was hoping for.

What would be really useful is a small game demo using all the features and it looks like that's what your working on?

Yes, I am.

The screenshot above is taken from a cool demo I am working on.

I am also porting some demos from Ignition X to Pyro.

taumel(Posted 2015) [#60]
@screenshot
Offers some degree of a Uridium/Parallax vibe. The platforms look nice, the in between (must look 3dish) material not so much.

Shmups and games which offer aspects of exploration (torches and stuff) certainly are one of the use cases where mojo2 like lighting in 2D makes sense.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#61]
I have just added an experimental version of the vertex editor to the pyro tools.zip file.

The vertex editor allows you create more complex shapes for the shadow caster and spit out the data for you.
Very basic but it does the job.

Demo here

You can add, remove and move points.
I will try to add the ability to insert points later.

The vertex editor can probably be used to create collision points for Ignition X but I have not tested this yet.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#62]
This is the first Mojo2 / Pyro demo called DUEL, a little SF shooter.

DUEL is using a lot of lights so you need a fast PC (not kidding) !!!

Read more

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#63]
Pretty nice lighting demo, runs fine on my system - and i'm testing this on Macbook Pro VM too! BTW, cool Tron BG music.

rIKmAN(Posted 2015) [#64]
Looks great!

Ran fine here too tested in Chrome.

What tool are you using to create your bump maps etc for the lighting?

CopperCircle(Posted 2015) [#65]
Looks great, ran fine in IE11 until the explosion sound tries to play and then it crashes with a audio index error...

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#66]
Seems to run fine on Safari, Firefox and Chrome here except Windows 7 IE 11, not running at all. Will investigate...

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#67]
Some of the problems may have to do with HTML5 async loading.

rIKmAN(Posted 2015) [#68]
What tool are you using to create your bump maps etc for the lighting?

Also how are you creating the headlight-like "cone" lighting from the front of the ship?
I've not had chance to play with Mojo2 yet, but a quick glance through the docs and I couldn't see anything to do with setting light direction.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#69]
I should ask my gfx artist but I think he ended up using a combination of tools like crazybump and 3d studio max.

He tried SpriteIlluminator but if I am not mistaken it can't do SPECULAR maps.

It might be a good idea to write a small tutorial about this or at least some tips and tricks on how we did it.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#70]
Found that DUEL sometimes crashes!

Some of the sounds play with a volume >1.0 and it seems IE is sensitive to that.

Max. volume now is 1.0

You might want to refresh the page on first time loading...

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#71]
Just uploaded pyro v1.01c!

This one includes the Duel demo full source code...

Read more

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#72]
Duel Source Code for viewing...

taumel(Posted 2015) [#73]
Drains the battery like there would be no tomorrow. Actually it's unplayable here and hangs the browser due to steering/shooting/lights. I can run way more complex 3D scenes (in both Deferred and Forward mode until this otherwise happens). The M key is too close to the arrows (for a single player).

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#74]
On what hardware?

taumel(Posted 2015) [#75]
MacBookPro, OS X (Mav), dedicated GPU, Safari.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#76]
Hmm, runs fine on my mac mini... will runs some tests on other devices this week.

taumel(Posted 2015) [#77]
It seemed like something was having issues trying to catch up, buffering stuff, hanging, then executing it, afterwards input was possible again until ... GOTO 10.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#78]
Pyro v1.01d is up!

I highly recommend this update!

• Tweaked / made changes / improved to the tile system! (VERSIONS.TXT for more info)
• Added casting system to the scene builder
• Added a new demo | source code called platformer (ported from Ignition X)

Please let me know if online demos don't run, I am looking for the cause!

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#79]
Loaded up really fast for me. However, the first time i ran it this happened though - but only once :

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#80]
Hey thanks! I really appreciate it!

I seem to get this on Firefox after refressing consistently.
I was able to get this once or twice on IE.

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#81]
Sorry forgot to mention i was running Chrome.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#82]
@Neuro: Thanks!

I was in a 'porting' mood today so new update available!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#83]
It seems to be a browser caching problem!

When I do a hard refresh CTRL+F5 it seems to solve the problem!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#84]
@Neuro: Was that really the first time it happens or did you refresh the browser? Can you test it again for me and if the problem occurs press CTRL+F5 (hard refresh)

A hard refresh should solve the problem! (on my computer anyway)

I noticed this only happens with online demos and not local demos.

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#85]
It happened that very first time, but after a regular refreshed it never happened again. I just tested it again a few times now and it doesn't seem to happen anymore too. Could have just been one of those quirky browser moment.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#86]
Could have just been one of those quirky browser moment

Yeah, looks like it, thanks!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#87]
I have uploaded new versions of the demos build with Monkey Pro v84e that seems to solve the html5 glitches!

Anyone still experiencing problems please let me know!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#88]
About 9 days left for our Pyro coupon campaign for existing Ignition X owners :)

AnotherMike(Posted 2015) [#89]
Do you by any chance have some source code examples? I have been playing with libGDX + Box2d + 2d lights samples and I would love to see how they compare when looking at the written source code. Thanks! :)

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#90]
Online docs

You can find links to source code and demos there...

Duel source code

Note that Pyro does not support Box2D yet!

AnotherMike(Posted 2015) [#91]
Cool, thanks! Are there any plans / roadmap to add Box2D support?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#92]
Roadmap

AnotherMike(Posted 2015) [#93]
OK, so I guess not all hope is lost. ;)

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#94]
I'm assuming the world editor can also be used to build tile base levels also?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#95]
Yes

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#96]
Awesome stuff, looking forward to it. But Tiled is still going to be supported too along with it?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#97]
But Tiled is still going to be supported too along with it?

Yes

tiresius(Posted 2015) [#98]
I have plans for Box2D related games and would like to use Pyro for them, so getting it into Pyro will be great.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#99]
Just added a new virtual controller demo (joypad) to the Pyro examples for next update!

A virtual joystick is also in the works!

Demo here

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#100]
Thats looks cool. Is the map loaded from Tiled?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#101]
Is the map loaded from Tiled

No, it is just a bitmap because I wanted to keep the example as simple as possible focussing on the joypad code.

This one is, in case you are wondering if it is possible :)

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#102]
Pyro v1.01f is up!

Read more!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#103]
For all people who forgot the coupon code was time limited I have made 30 more coupon codes available for existing Ignition X users (until the end of this month!). Logon to http://support.playniax.com to get it!

Milky Joe(Posted 2015) [#104]
(from the other thread)

For some reason I wasn't seeing the coupon box in Chrome!? Fired up a different browser and it's there's, so all's good. Thanks again.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#105]
Damn Chrome! Is it just me or is Chrome getting worse and worse? When I logon to MyCommerce sometimes I am missing some options in the menu controls! Using another browser solves this. Something with cookies they told me at MyCommerce...

Milky Joe(Posted 2015) [#106]
Having spent just one afternoon and evening with Pyro, I have to say I'm really impressed. I'm really glad I bought it. Some of the concepts are new to me, but most of them already make a lot of sense!

The documentation seems a little light in some areas, though, and some of the code examples/demos would benefit from further commenting (on the concepts themselves, as well as describing code blocks). A number of key modules (ContentManager, SplashScreen, Storage etc) appear to have no documentation relating to how they should be used... Unless I'm simply not looking in the right places?

I don't want this to sound too negative, though - it's just that ease of entry could be a little better. The frameworks itself is very impressive!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#107]
Hi Milky Joe, thanks for your support and feedback!

I guess docs are always an ongoing process. That is why this kind of feedback is important. Before release I always go many times through the docs, see if anything is missing but there is always a chance I miss things. Things that are probably obvious when you are fresh to the material. For example. This comment is at the top of the source code example that shows how the content manager works/ what is does:

The content manager makes sure that resources are only loaded once (if used properly).

Commands supported :

- GetConfig:prConfig(path:String)
- GetFont:prBitmapFont(path:String)
- GetImage:Image(path:String,xhandle:Float=.5,yhandle:Float=.5, flags:Int=Image.Filter|Image.Mipmap,shader:Shader=Null)
- GetSound:Sound(path:String)
- GetString:StringObject(path:String)

The first time a get command is used the object gets loaded.
Once an object is loaded the get command returns a reference to the loaded object.

Additional commands :

- Flush("bg.png")					( should remove it from the content manager )
- Flush()							( should remove all objects from the content manager )
- Tattoo("bg.png",True)				( should prevent an object to be removed with flush )

Note that all objects stay in memory as long as an object is referring to it.
So if you want it completely gone after a flush make sure this is not the case.
#end

But I noticed that it is missing from the docs!

I will correct this of course.

Note that you can get support from me directly if something is not clear preferably on our forums!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#108]
Stange, double post!

rIKmAN(Posted 2015) [#109]
For all people who forgot the coupon code was time limited I have made 30 more coupon codes available for existing Ignition X users (until the end of this month!). Logon to http://support.playniax.com to get it!

Ah that's a shame, I'm probably gonna miss this one too.
Any reason why it is a timed thing?

Soap(Posted 2015) [#110]
Your "We sent you a recovery e-mail" has a small typo in it. Also you apparently allow sending recovery e-mails for accounts which do not exist!

Soap(Posted 2015) [#111]
You may want to remove those lttp assets from the joy demos. There are creative common tile sets you can use for demos!

http://opengameart.org/art-search?keys=tiles

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#112]
You may want to remove those lttp assets from the joy demos

This actually slipped through! My gfx artist supllied it to me (who's but I kicked for this mistake) and he told me he downloaded the assest somewhere, changed the colors, made them bigger, created a level using tiled, exported it as an image and gave it to me and I (only) used it in this online demo. The assets are not included with Pyro. This is probably a very grey area but you are probably right, just to be sure I will take it down! We all have to respect other peoples work!

There are creative common tile sets you can use for demos!

Actually we 'always' create our own stuff so I am not sure what he was thinking.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#113]
Pyro v1.01g is up!

Read more!

Soap(Posted 2015) [#114]
I don't see v1.01g in the download list?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#115]
Should be now...

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#116]
A big update is coming soon!

Most noticeable is the new tiled importer.
Previously tiled data needed to be converted to the Pyro scene builder format.
In the upcoming version tiled data can be loaded directly!
I found converting was just to time consuming.

Pyro can now also add double borders to orthogonal tilesets to eliminate the tile gaps when OpenGL filtering is enabled.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#117]
Oops, still fighting some bugs! :( so a little delay...

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#118]
Nastiest bugs I have encountered! But I am winning...

Here is a new demo showing the Pyro tile engine and lights

Phil7(Posted 2015) [#119]
I just tried the demo and I couldn't see any lights. I'm using Firefox 41.0.2 on Win 8.1
There are only walls moving in front of a black background.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#120]
Thanks! I see the same problem in firefox although some other demos seem to show lights, some not. Will investigate!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#121]
I have updated the demo. It does work now on firefox on my local machine. It seems like some weird Firefox GL bug is causing the problem since Mark had to make some adjustments to Mojo 2. So for a bug fix you need to wait for the next version of Mojo 2.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#122]
Pyro v1.01h is up!

Read more!

An update to the docs

And to answer a question that I get a lot, the Pyro license for Monkey 1 will also be valid for the Monkey 2 version!

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#123]
Nice. Playing around with it and I'm really impressed so far. Can't wait to see it in action together with Monkey 2!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#124]
@Xaron: Thanks! I hope porting it to Monkey 2 is not too hard :)

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#125]
I don't think so. I've took a deeper look into Pyro and it's quite an impressive and clean(!) framework. Will use it for sure for my next 2d project. :)

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#126]
it's quite an impressive and clean(!) framework

That was one of the goals from the beginning! It seems people notice it so I guess I achieved it. I also did my best to keep dependencies between modules as low as possible making it modular.

Will use it for sure for my next 2d project

Don't be shy if you have any questions...

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#127]
I'll do! First question:

Regarding the bitmap converter. Will there be some more features in the future, e.g. stuff like outlining which is incredible useful I think? Or is it already there? I often have for instance a which font outlines black. I think the current way to achieve this is to use two fonts, one black for the background and the white one in front?

malublu(Posted 2015) [#128]
###Has it support for costume mouse cursor, like Giggi HideMouse()?
Sorry for this Qustion in this Thread :)
Sorry :) it it is in the documentation!
Please ignore the post

Some better question is:
would it be integrated in a monkey x package? :)
Monkey X Studio Pyro

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#129]
Can I use Fontmachine together with Pyro? I remember it was possible with Ignition X.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#130]
@Xaron: There are some 'hidden' features in Pyro that can help with that. By hidden I mean they are used by Pyro for some other (low level) tasks right now but I will extend these and make them more 'public' later on. I am also kind of awaiting the direction of Monkey 2 because it will probably open the door for much more possiblities.

@Malublu: We will have a look at these possiblities after Monkey 2 is released...

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#131]
Can I use Fontmachine together with Pyro?

I could be wrong but I thought Ziggy saying he ported Fontmachine to Mojo 2 and if so I will see what is the best way to use it with Pyro...

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#132]
You're right, he did: http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=9905

Well it would be awesome because I'm very used to this fontmachine modul. :)

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#133]
Having a question about virtual resolutions and prCalcLetterbox():

So basically what I want to achieve is a no stretch but always fill on all aspect ratios. Let's take an landscape example. My virtual resolution is 1024x576 which is 16:9, so one of the extremes. The other one would be 4:3 (iPad) which leads to an effective visible virtual area of 768x576.

What I want now is that the borders left and right are cut for any aspect ratio below 16:9 for the background. When I look at that prCalcLetterbox it seems that you will always get the complete 16:9 into this 4:3 ratio but with borders at the top and bottom?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#134]
The only helper in Pyro is prCalcLetterbox and does the same as the Mojo 2 one.
Pyro does not have the variety of helpers that Ignition X (stretch and splitscreen stuff) has yet but you can do it your self by calculating the correct projection and viewport settings.
However, they are on my to do list so I will make some time in the coming week for this along with your Fontmachine stuff.
I have already some splitscreen stuff going but with a few bugs. Need to sort that out.

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#135]
Thanks, that's awesome! :)

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#136]
Finally updated our website with Pyro in the spotlight!

Visit http://playniax.com to have a look if you are interested.

@Xaron: I am making some nice progress on the FontMachine plugin for Pyro...

AndroidAndy(Posted 2015) [#137]
Visit http://playniax.com to have a look if you are interested.

The revised site looks great! Just FYI, none of the Pryo or IgnitionX demos are not working for me on either IE11 or Firefox Versions 37, 39 and 42.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#138]
@AndroidAndy: Thank you and you are right! There was a problem with the demo template. It worked on Chrome here though... I hope it works correctly now!!! You might need to reload the page because of the browser cache.

AndroidAndy(Posted 2015) [#139]
IE11 runs the Pyro demos, Firefox Version 42 does not. IE11 does NOT run the IgnitionX demos, Firefox 42 does! I cleared browser cache on both and tried several times. BTW, the IgnitionX information is really hard to get to from the new site, is this intentional?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#140]
It seems refreshing the cache is not enough with some browsers. Only when I emptied the complete history in my browser it seemed to work(?!) Anyway, I am not a web expert but I have changed the demo.html in to forcing a refresh and it seems to work here so if this doesn't work I need to dig deeper. Let me know if solved it at your end and thanks again.

the IgnitionX information is really hard to get to from the new site, is this intentional

Not really, the current update of the website is a temporarly solution and we needed a way to adjust the current website in showing Pyro without completly redesigning it. A complete homepage redesign is planned for next year.

AndroidAndy(Posted 2015) [#141]
Ok, IE11 works like a treat with all Pyro and IgnitionX demos. Firefox v42 only works with IgnitionX demos it does NOT load the Pyro demos. I did not test Chrome as it seems this is your baseline. Post back here if you make any more changes to account for Firefox with the Pyro demos.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#142]
Thanks for testing (again) AndroidAndy. I have tested it here and runs fine on all browsers on 2 computers. I am currently re-installing my laptop so I will see if it works there. What OS are you running?

AndroidAndy(Posted 2015) [#143]
Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on the particular machine I tested with. I checked with Firebug and looks like it is a WebGL issue, must be related to my installation:

uncaught exception: Can't create WebGL

Then went to: http://get.webgl.org/ and that indicates WebGL is not available on Firefox, also https://videos.cdn.mozilla.net/uploads/mozhacks/flight-of-the-navigator/ and that fails too.

So let's just call it a problem with my Firefox installation, IE11 works perfect after the changes you made.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#144]
It does run here on all browsers including firefox on all 4 machines I have but I will test it on safari later.
Thanks for the feedback!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#145]
Pyro v1.01i is up!

I have added Ignition X style virtual resolution helpers (comparable to autofit), FontMachine support and splitscreen helpers.

Read more!

@Xaron: Tell me if this what you were looking for!

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#146]
Nice stuff! Thanks, will check it!

APC(Posted 2015) [#147]
Playniax,

I can't find the Pyro v1.01i in the Playniax Members Portal the latest is Pyro v1.01h. Also I would like to know how do you create the images in the Pyro tutorials, more specificaly playniax_NORMALS.png and playniax_SPECULAR. Can I do it in Inkscape?

By the way I love Pyro and can't wait to do my first game with it!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#148]
I logged in with my test account and Pyro v1.01i should be there. For some reason things are not shown in alphabetical order so when I looked it was the fifth in the list so look again and let me know if you found it.

To create normal and specualr maps you need a tool like sprite-dlight or spriteilluminator:

- http://www.2deegameart.com/p/sprite-dlight.html
- https://www.codeandweb.com/spriteilluminator

I am sure there are others :)

By the way I love Pyro and can't wait to do my first game with it!

Just let me know if you have any questions. A big update of the docs is coming soon!

AaronK(Posted 2015) [#149]
Hi guys.

Does Pyro support virtual resolutions, as in, I code my game for a resolution and then no matter what real resolution I work in, it will look right? Additionally how would it support different graphics sets for this? Can I detect a resolution and set the path to the graphics to use? Low res, high res etc?

Cheers

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#150]
Does Pyro support virtual resolutions

Pyro has various helpers to set virtual resolutions and even split screens.

To set a virtual resolution (adds borders automatically when needed)
SetVirtual 1024,768

To set a borderless virtual resolution stretching the width to ratio
SetVirtualHeight 768

To set a borderless virtual resolution stretching the height to ratio
SetVirtualWidth 1024

Also it has various mouse helpers to translate to the right coords.

Can I detect a resolution and set the path to the graphics to use

You can use the VirtualWidth and VirtualHeight properties to detect the resolution.

AaronK(Posted 2015) [#151]
Thanks. With regards to the resolution detection and selection of graphics sizes, is scaling taken care of for me with all images? To better explain. Say I am writing my game to work at 640x480. I have low res graphics for a device res that matches that, and high res ones for device resolutions 1280x960 and above.

Then someone plays on a device that's 960x720 so I detect the device resolution and set the graphics paths accordingly. For this example, say I use the low res ones. When drawn, the low res graphics will need a scaling factor of 1.5 to look the correct size.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#152]
What I usually do is choose 2 fixed display modes (a low and a high resolution mode like you describe), have the app load the corresponding image sets but not scale the images.

If a virtual resolution is set and works like it should it will automatically look right on different devices.

What you are asking is possible though but if you want to set the scaling factor of the images it needs to be done 'manually' by calculating the scale factor your self and by using an objects SetScale command. By objects I mean for example sprites.

AaronK(Posted 2015) [#153]
OK thanks. May I suggest you add something like this to Pyro. I'm not sure if mojo images are encapsulated into sprites or something, but it'd be good if all that stuff could be taken care of for me. e.g. Set some virtual resolution, and register graphic sets with scale factors then Pyro works out the correct scale factor to set when it loads the image for a sprite.

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#154]
Yeah, congrats on the release ;-)

Holt(Posted 2015) [#155]
A few questions. Pyro looks great but I noticed people talking about some issues here. Are they fixed? As I understand Pyro will work for Monkey 2 and Igniton not? And how does Pyro compare to Diddy and Fantom? Sorry if you answered this already but I am new here. I have a background in php, Visual Basic and some assembler.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#156]
Pyro looks great but I noticed people talking about some issues here

Most of the issues reported here had to do with Mojo 2 but I think they are solved.
Mojo 2 and Pyro were very young when these issues were reported.

Pyro will work for Monkey 2 and Igniton not

You mean Ignition X? :) Yes, that is correct. I (probably) need to make some adjustments though to have Pyro work with Monkey 2

And how does Pyro compare to Diddy and Fantom

Well, Diddy and Fantom are free (except for the book I think).
Pyro is a bargain but not free :)
I think Pyro main difference over the others is the scenegraph style approach and the fact that it wil have its own tools like a world, particle and gui editor.
I have not that much experience with the other frameworks around here so I can't speak for them but I guess you can compare the feature lists.

Like you said, you are new here so first get comfortable with Monkey first before you decide on any third party add ons.

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#157]
Like you said, you are new here so first get comfortable with Monkey first before you decide on any third party add ons.

I totally agree.

I think Pyro main difference over the others is the scenegraph style approach

No, the scene/layer/object/childobject approach is build into fantomEngine and fantomX too.

Holt(Posted 2015) [#158]
Thank you for the info. I will keep it in mind.

grovey(Posted 2015) [#159]
Hi Playniax, I am interested in Pyro, but am curious if it is going to be compatible with Monkey 2? Just wanting to know if I were to buy a license now if it would be limited strictly to Monkey.

Also, is there an upgrade path from Ignition to Pyro? I have an Ignition license currently.

Thanks!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#160]
is going to be compatible with Monkey 2?

Compatible or not, it will be ported. Monkey 2 compared to monkey 1 will probably not be so much different language wise. Mojo 2 is already working and Mark told me I should not have to many problems porting Pyro to Monkey 2. You license will remain valid!

Also, is there an upgrade path from Ignition to Pyro? I have an Ignition license currently.

There was a coupon campaign and I wanted to do another one for december so I might as well start today :)
If you login at our support area for Ignition X you will find a coupon.zip file that contains a coupon code for a 10% discount.
You can enter this code when purchasing Pyro.
Only 28 are issued and they are valid until the end of this year so try your luck!

grovey(Posted 2015) [#161]
Excellent thanks Playniax

I purchased Pyro with the coupon.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#162]
Thanks grovey, much appreciated!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#163]
I have uploaded a 30 days HTML5 trial version of Pyro for you guys to play with for Windows and Mac (no Linux version yet).

The zip file contains both a free version of Monkey X and the Pyro modules (pre-installed).

PLEASE! make sure that you build the .monkey files (bananas, demos, etc.) with the Monkey X version that comes with this zip! or IT WILL NOT WORK! Probably best to open it from within Ted!

Download the zip file here!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#164]
Pyro v1.01j is up!

Pierrou(Posted 2015) [#165]
The updated docs are very welcome, thanks! I've only used Pyro's Texture Packer module for now (which already changed my life) and it's nice to be able to use only a few parts of it and not the whole framework. Will use more features for my next (Monkey2?) projects. Thanks again for your hard work!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#166]
> it's nice to be able to use only a few parts of it and not the whole framework

Yeah, I try to keep dependencies between modules as low as possible.
I can imagine for some people who don't need a full scene graph the GUI can be handy.
Same goes for the other small modules like encoding, delta timer, font, content manager, texture packer, etc.

Thanks again for your hard work!

Thanks for your support!

ratking(Posted 2016) [#167]
Does the collision system in Pyro also resolve those collisions?

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#168]
Does the collision system in Pyro also resolve those collisions?

Yes, Pyro comes with various functions to detect collisions if that is what you mean.

ratking(Posted 2016) [#169]
No, I'm asking about collision resolution, ie. separating two colliding objects automatically.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#170]
Ah, I think what you are asking is usually solved by physics engines and Pyro doesn't have that yet. Ignition X has box2d but I haven't ported that part yet.
I am looking to add a 'physics light' module later but that will be far in the future.

ratking(Posted 2016) [#171]
Okay, thanks for the info. (I do know what physics engines are and what they do, I'd just to not use one as long as I don't need most of their features. A "physics light" thing sounds good.)

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#172]
Otherwise, download the 30 days trial here!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#173]
Here is a little update on the Pyro 'roadmap' : http://www.playniax.com/forums/pyro/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=119613&p=123928#p123928

AnotherMike(Posted 2016) [#174]
Sounds cool, I just bought a licence of Pyro. I don't really plan to do any serious development but I wanted to play with it. ;)

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#175]
Thanks AnotherMike. The support is appreciated!

AnotherMike(Posted 2016) [#176]
You're more than welcome. Just keep the updates coming! :)

pit(Posted 2016) [#177]
Hi

Two questions.
1) Are all the functionalities of Ignition X available in Pyro now ?
2) What are the functionalities provided by Pyro which are not available in Ignition X (other than the mojo 2 compatibility) ?

Cheers

Pit

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#178]
1) Box2d is the first thing that comes to mind. Most of the other stuff is there. Spine is also missing but for Ignition X it's nothing more than a simple wrapper that I will try to add soon to Pyro. TimelineFX is missing because last time I looked there was no Mojo 2 version yet.

2) At this moment Pyro is a little behind on Ignition X but Pyro does most of the same things better. Pyro will also feature some very nice editors and cool gui module but unfortunately they are not ready to release yet. I hope to get most of the stuff out around the time Monkey 2 is ready.

pit(Posted 2016) [#179]
ok thanks Playniax !

Pit

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#180]
Phew, got the undo / redo system working in the Pyro editor :) With some luck I can post a little demo within a month...

RedGTurtlepa(Posted 2016) [#181]
Hello, I just found this topic and I was interested in your product Pyro as it may make life easier for me when developing using the framework. But I read what you said about Ignition X and Pyro, should I buy both or just get Pyro? I wanted to create some ragdolls to destroy and maybe some vehicles (multiple parts, joints). Or basically, bodies with multiple joints.
Do they work together or should I stick with only one over the other?

Also, what IDE do you recommend?

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#182]
Sounds to me you need box2d and only Ignition X supports that right now. It's on my to do list for Pyro but I have no idea when I have it working. Got some other things to do first.

If you look in the Monkey shop you can see the studio version (a bundle that has Monkey X Pro, Ignition X and Jungle IDE) saving you some money vs buying each product separate.

Maybe you want to try the 30 days HTML5 trial Ignition X version first! Download the zip file here!
The zip file contains both a free version of Monkey X and the Ignition X modules (pre-installed).
PLEASE! make sure that you build the .monkey files (bananas, demos, etc.) with the Monkey X version that comes with this zip! or IT WILL NOT WORK! Probably best to open it from within Ted!

Same for Pyro, download here!

RedGTurtlepa(Posted 2016) [#183]
oh cool, thanks! i'll check it all out. Thanks again for those. I'll definately test the demo before making a purchase.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#184]
Pyro v1.01k is up!

Also, I finally got around updating the forums to the latest phpBB and also added a more readable theme.
Previously you could not subscribe to topics (very annoying!) so this is now fixed.
You can still email directly of course as most of you seem to prefer but sharing your questions / problems on the forums can help other with similar issues :)

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#185]
The number 1 framework for MOJO2 just got a lot better!

Pyro v1.01l is up!

This is a fairly big update!

I have added a way to draw 'directly' to a layer or layers DrawLists making it possible to draw behind ( background ) or on top of ( overlay ) layer objects or entities.
This way your app benefits from the scene graphs features such as virtual resolutions, sprites, tiles, etc. without losing the freedom of 'free drawing'.
These DrawLists can be static (baked) or dynamically
With this new feature it became very easy for me to add Spine support and Box2D. Actually, any type of third-party module or your own stuff can be easily drawn / rendered to a Pyro layer.
For convenience I have also added a DebugDrawList to the layers ( always on top of the layer )
Examples on how to use the DrawLists have been added to 'bananas\e03_engine\e09_layer_drawlists'

I have also added a simple pathfinding module and 2 pathfinding examples one of them being a Pacman style 'game'.

Here is a 'complete' list of new stuff

• Added Box 2D physics! (No RUBE importer yet!)
• Added Spine and examples on how to use it with the Pyro scene graph ( Playniax / Skn3 Spine module )
• Added simple pathfinder module and example
• Added simple Pacman-ish demo using the pathfinder
• Added SetEntitiesDrawListIndex, GetEntitiesDrawListIndex and DrawList to prLayer for drawing 'directly' to layers!
• Added DebugDrawList to prLayer for drawing debug information
• Fixed prLabel displaying 'hello world' no matter what text you set (?!)
• Fixed some issues with reflection
• Moved fontmachine module from thirdparty folder to modules root

I have moved some things around om my to do list mainly because I don't expect Monkey 2 to be 'production' ready as fast as I thought.

The next things I will have a look at is adding the RUBE importer to Pyro and getting the new GUI module ready for release.

Also keep your eyes open for new demos and examples.

computercoder(Posted 2016) [#186]
Very cool update, Playniax! I look forward to playing around with it :)

Keep up the great work!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#187]
Keep up the great work!

I will!

Okay, so here is an early attempt for a Pyro source code library like I am already doing for Ignition X

I have uploaded just a few examples (box2D, pathfinding and Spine) mainly for testing. I am already aware of some shader errors showing up in the browsers console but I need to contact Mark about this. The examples seem to work nevertheless.

The idea about this source code library is to update it frequently with new stuff even between Pyro updates.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#188]
double post...

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#189]
One of the cool things Pyro can do is render a scene to an image!
I have added a simple Scene to image example to the Pyro source code library

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#190]
3 new examples in the Pyro source code library

MonkeyPlotter(Posted 2016) [#191]
Wow, Playniax - the Pacman-ish project looks very good, great work.

Tiny Editor is also something to see and the pathfinder are also something to behold.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#192]
Thanks!

Holt(Posted 2016) [#193]
I finally decided to buy this and I must say I don't regret it for a second. Nice toy to play with, very elegant piece of software. I bought this after trying the demo. I think the demo is not up to date with the latest relase because it did not have the spine and box2d stuff. You might want to mention that. But good job man!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#194]
I finally decided to buy this and I must say I don't regret it for a second

Thank you, much appreciated!

I think the demo is not up to date with the latest

You mean the 30 days trial?
Yeah, I think it's Pyro v1.01k so it will not have the latest features.
I will update that when I have some time...

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#195]
Some new examples in the Pyro source code library

Holt(Posted 2016) [#196]
Nice! May I suggest something? The demos look cool but the index page could use a little more spice. Maybe you can add some screenshots to the index page and source code examples underneath the demos or whatever. But keep the samples coming!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#197]
the demos look cool but the index page could use a little more spice. Maybe you can add some screenshots to the index page and source code examples underneath the demos

These sample pages are created by a script I wrote. The script compiles the samples, zip the files and creates the index page. I needed an easy way to update the samples and upload them. This part works extremely well. Now the next part will be to 'spice' it up as you said by adding a link to the source code and indeed make everything look more pretty by maybe adding screenshots or just make the index page look better and more categorized. Eventually I would like it look something like this : http://phaser.io/examples

Pakz(Posted 2016) [#198]
I was amazed when i saw how many examples phaser has. Those must have taken quite some man hours to make.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#199]
I was amazed when i saw how many examples phaser has.

Yeah, the website has a nice vibe in general also...

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#200]
Just letting you guys know I have started porting Pyro to MX2 and I must say that MX2 is really easy to get used to and a joy to work with! So far I have most of the small Pyro modules like the content manager, collision libs, config, xml, etc. running but also most of the scenegraph is working. Sprites, shapes, tiles and tilemaps, collision, particles etc. all work so that wasn't hard at all! Also the new Mojo with the property style approach is very very clean and I have embraced this style for Pyro. Now I can't say when the port willl be finished because I still have a lot to do ( mainly the GUI and that is turning out to be great also) but I am having fun and I have no doubt the result will be something special! Oh, and don't forget to support Mark! MX2 is really REALLY awsome even at this early stage!

Neuro(Posted 2016) [#201]
Thats awesome :)! Just wondering though, would we need to buy Pyro again for MX2 if we already own it for MX?

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#202]
Nope! :)

Neuro(Posted 2016) [#203]
Cool! So when do we get to try it now??

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#204]
As soon as I have the answer to that question I will post it here!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#205]
One of the many cool new things in Monkey 2 is the fact that we can use namespaces. This allows me to remove all the horrible, HORRIBLE pr prefixes for all Pyro classes and functions! Whoohoo

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#206]
A rough list of Pyro for Monkey 2 features that are ported/working:

* Screen manager and screens
* Scenegraph with sprites, shapes (polygon, rectangle, ellipse) and tiles
* Tile engine ( orthogonal, isometric )
* Tiled map editor importer / converter
* Scene loader
* Virtual joypad
* Splash / loader screen
* GUI system ( image, button, label, progress bar, input box, group, scroll box, menu, panel, slider )
* Generic particle system
* Delta timer class
* Collision / score system
* Object pooling
* Content manager
* Texturepacker support
* Common code library
* BASE 64 encoding / decoding
* XML loading / saving

To Do:

* Highscore manager
* Virtual joystick
* Staggered tile maps
* Scene graph mapping system and culling
* Port demos
* Docs

So it looks like a preview will be available at the end of this month for existing Pyro owners!

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#207]
Nice!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#208]
Video of a WIP for Pyro for Monkey 2 : https://youtu.be/bxCIYFYfsN4

( hiccups because of the capture software! )

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#209]
Haha nice! Pacman reloaded! ;)

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#210]
A little update regarding the preview. I have a little delay because of a last minute Monkey 2 bug. I reported it to Mark and it will get fixed so now I have to decide to work around it or wait for the fix.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#211]
Actually... Mark provided me with a workaround that works so I think I can get the preview up in a day or 2!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#212]
ok, it’s here! If you have a Pyro license and account you can download the preview demo here: http://support.playniax.com

Keep in mind that this is still a work in progress but most of the features are in!

I have added some bananas and demos but no docs yet!

And for you guys who don’t support Monkey2 yet, please do! It is a GREAT entity!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#213]
Pyro v1.01m up! ( for Monkey 1 )

Small but necessary update:

• Added SetInvincible and Invincible to the score collector
• Fixed tiled importer problem with multiple tilesets from tsx file
• Updated to use the latest Spine module with latest fixes

And I have added a new platormer demo to the online source code library.

Click on 'New/Another platformer' ( hit mouse or space ingame to have the monkey start walking )

Enjoy!

pit(Posted 2016) [#214]
Hi Playniax,

And congratulations for your work !
I'm a regular user of Ignition.
And a user of Monkey 1 (will wait before to go to monkey 2).
I'm look for a migration to Mojo 2.

question: for the moment, are there a lot of functionalities existing in Ignition and NOT existing in Pyro?

Cheers

PIt

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#215]
Thanks for asking...

Ignition vs Pyro: Pyro is missing the RUBE importer and some gui components but Pyro not far behind. Ignition also has a lot more examples.

Pyro for Monkey 2: Still in development but will have it 'all' eventually...

pit(Posted 2016) [#216]
thanks Playniax !

RedGTurtlepa(Posted 2016) [#217]
hey Playniax, cpl questions:

1. Why is it Z doesnt work? Its not simulating draw order depth for any of the stuff I use
i.e: sprite.Z = 1; sprite2.Z = 2 (or -1), no matter what happens sprite2 (being created last) is rendered on top of sprite 1 UNLESS I use prLayers, but I want to know what setZ or Z does if its not doing this?

2. In Monkey2 i cant compile any of your examples, it always complains that the h file such as
"fatal error: .../.../pyro_5gui_pyro_5gui.h: No such file or directory"

makes 0 sense since the .h header file is right there where it should be. Every other module Ive used works fine.

well, any help is appreciated thank you Playniax.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#218]
1. You need to create a Z sorter and tell the layer to use it.

Set layer ZSorter:
layer.SetSorter( New ZSorter )

Z sorter code:
Class ZSorter Extends prSorter

Method Update:Void( entities:Stack<prLayerEntity> )

Local index1:=entities.Length-1

While index1>0

For Local index2:=0 Until entities.Length-1
				If entities.Get( index2 ).Z<entities.Get( index2+1 ).Z Swap( entities,index2,index2+1 )
			Next

index1-=1

Wend

End

Method Swap:Void( entities:Stack<prLayerEntity>,index1:Int,index2:Int )

Local o:=entities.Data[index1]
		entities.Data[index1]=entities.Data[index2]
		entities.Data[index2]=o

End

End

2. Did you build the modules and didn't you get any errors?

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#219]
Pyro v1.01n for Monkey X is up!

• Added simple highscore manager
• Added proper group object support to scenegraph
• Optimized the tiled importer for speed gain!!!
• Reworked gui system ( borrowed some code form Pyro for Monkey2 )
• Added proper group object support to gui system
• Added sliders to gui system

Now the GUI module has changed and improved a lot so please go through the examples and docs again to see what has changed!

I like to point out that a Pyro for Monkey X license will remain valid once Pyro for Monkey2 is out and there is a demo of Pyro for Monkey2 available in our support area!

For people who missed it, here are some Pyro for Monkey2 demos

1) http://www.playniax.com/SAF/spiral/ ( use mouse to drag the ball )
2) http://www.playniax.com/SAF/jungle/

Now I am aware of some problems with Pyro for Monkey2 but don't hesitate to report more problems.

Pyro for Monkey2 is still a WIP!

Please mention your OS and Browser if you experience problems!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#220]
Just uploaded another preview demo of Pyro for Monkey2 to our support area: http://support.playniax.com
You need to own a Pyro license to login. If you don't have one, you can purchase Pyro and you will have access to the preview! :)
I think both Monkey2 and Pyro for Monkey2 are coming together nicely!

Shockblast(Posted 2016) [#221]
How would I render the prGuilayer on top of a prScene? prGuilayer renders completely on top of the content on prScene, so I am not seeing anything of my scene. Giving prGuilayer a clear color with alpha 0.0 does not do anything. I am rendering prScene first and then prGuilayer and would ideally keep it that way.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#222]
Both the scenegraph and gui use the Mojo2 renderer. The renderer has 2 clear modes.

0 = Do not clear
1 = Clear

So you can set the ClearMode to 0
guiLayer.Renderer.SetClearMode 0

Shockblast(Posted 2016) [#223]
Very nice, works perfectly :)

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#224]
I have made a 10% discount coupon code for Pyro! The coupon code is PYRO-6VT7-DISC
This code is valid until the end of this month and there are only 25 available!
A Pyro license will also give you access to a Pyro for Monkey2 preview!
The license will stay valid for Pyro for Monkey2!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#225]
Playniax news and info : https://playniax.wordpress.com/

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#226]
Hey Tony, may I suggest that you somehow "reorder" your versions in your support page? It's a bit confusing to find the newest version right in the middle between all others. ;)

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#227]
Oh and your fontmachine support seems to be broken? At least your example "e06_3rdparty/e01_fontmachine" doesn't compile anymore (prSetGuiSkin and prCreateLabel are unknown).

I've noticed quite some huge gui changes, do you have some "best practice" or "what's changed" guide? I have to rework through all my code. :/

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#228]
I suggest that you somehow "reorder" your versions in your support page?

Yeah, on my to do list but it's a long list :) Thanks!

Oh and your fontmachine support seems to be broken

Will fix!

I've noticed quite some huge gui changes, do you have some "best practice" or "what's changed" guide?

Well, best is to go through the samples again. But if you need some kind of best practice or what's changed guide I will see what I can do. Thing is that Pyro just has a few gui components so I thought is was obvious.

The big changes are in the skinning method. For this I added the DrawData. So a small example with a gui image and loading the image:

Old way:
image.IdleMode.SetImage prContent.GetImage( "bg.png" )

New way:
image.Surface.DrawData( prGuiState.Idle ).SetImage prContent.GetImage( "bg.png" )

DrawData has the following states: Idle, Selected, RollOver, Down, Ghost

So when you need to set the RollOver image you can do:
image.Surface.DrawData( prGuiState.RollOver ).SetImage prContent.GetImage( "bg.png" )

Surface is the part of a gui object. For example an image has a surface, a button has a surface. But a button also has a label ( image has not ) so if you need to set the color of a button text of the RollOver state you can do this:
button.Label.DrawData( prGuiState.RollOver ).SetColor .75,.75,.75

Not a complete explanation but I will improve the docs on this. I made this change because Pyro for Monkey2 works this way and it just works so well that I thought is was worth the trouble!

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#229]
Nice thanks Tony! :)
About that fontmachine issue. Does it work or to rephrase it, what do I have to do to make it work? Or is it something you have to add on your side?

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#230]
No problem :)

I had a quick look, just replace these lines:
Import playniax.pyro.gui.guiskin
Import playniax.pyro.gui.guihelpers

With these:
Import playniax.pyro.guiskinner
Import playniax.pyro.guiskins.pyro

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#231]
Perfect, works! Thanks!

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#232]
Tony is there a way to include alpha into the color again?

Previously I did the following:
_overviewScreenButton.SurfaceGhostMode.SetColor( 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0 )

Now I need two commands:
_overviewScreenButton.Surface.DrawData( prGuiState.Ghost ).SetColor( 1.0, 1.0, 1.0 )
_overviewScreenButton.Surface.DrawData( prGuiState.Ghost ).SetAlpha( 1.0 )

Not a big issue though!

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#233]
Another question: I MUST now use these skins, right?

prSetGuiSkin "pyro_gui_skin.txt"

If I don't use this line, I get some access violations using fontmachine.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#234]
Tony is there a way to include alpha into the color again?

Strange, still working here!

I MUST now use these skins, right?

No. The fontmachine demo is using the gui helpers like prCreateLabel and prCreateButton, etc. These helpers need a skin file. Previously this skin file was loaded as a default but now you need to set it yourself.

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#235]
Tony, thanks for clarification. Regarding that SetColor method you're right. I just was confused by JungleIDE which told me that SetColor only has 3 parameters.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#236]
Got tiled maps loading in a very early version of the Pyro editor :)

I used Monkey 2 + Pyro scenegraph and gui to code it...

The editor can load tilemaps and spritemaps. I am now concentrating on the editing part ( lots of work ). When that is out of the way I will finish the gui look and feel.

Things already in:

- Undo / redo
- Loading of tmx maps
- Loading pyro scene builder format
- Editing sprites
- Saving projects / bundles
- Importing images

The ultimate goal is to have an IDE in there also but in the beginning it will be a 'world editor'.

Anatol(Posted 2016) [#237]
Hey Mark and Playniax, I just bought Pyro yesterday and read through all 'bananas'. It's very clear and looks like a perfect addition to Monkey X. Thanks for your hard work on this, it'll definitely cut coding times a lot with all this (and still growing) feature set! I had a break from Monkey for over 3 years (mainly due to no time), and while it's already been awesome then or when I first used it in 2011, it's fantastic to see how far it has come since. mojo2 definitely is my new mojo of choice! Pyro will come in very handy. I've forgotten quite a bit, but just looking through some of your code samples helped a lot. I think I'll be back coding Monkey X in no time, it's such a straightforward syntax. Anyway, I'm very keen to get back into it! Thanks.

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#238]
Yeah I couldn't agree more! Good job, Tony. :)

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#239]
Hey thanks for the kind words and your support!

Shockblast(Posted 2016) [#240]
Hey Playniax, I can't seem to find the TTF font exporter tool that is supposed to be included with Pyro. Where can I download it? I don't want to use Fontmachine because it requires me to buy the JungleIDE which I am not planning to do.

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#241]
Should be in the zip normally but I just uploaded a stand alone zip: http://support.playniax.com

zxretrosoft(Posted 2016) [#242]
Great work Playniax! Thank you very much!

Some examples it is not working properly. It seems that the error is on my side. I am sorry, but I do not have much experiences with Monkey2 yet.
Please, if I want to use GUI Template 1, there is this error:

And in the case Pacman (and also in some other cases, there is this error):

Please, what am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#243]
Great work Playniax! Thank you very much!

Thanks, your welcome!

if I want to use GUI Template 1, there is this error:

Quick fix will be is te remove that line completely ( I think it''s only used by the other GUI templates )
But better to start the module manager and check if you have the latest Pyro 2 modules because I think you are one version behind.

As for the Pacman demo, I can't see the complete error. You will need to get me the complete text that shows up in the console.

zxretrosoft(Posted 2016) [#244]
Thanks Playniax!

When I remove that line completely, there is this error:

And it is similar in Pacman:

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#245]
It all seems to run fine here.
But you can visit our download page and download the Monkey2_Pyro2_Binaries_for_Windows.zip file ( large file! ).
It's Monkey 2 with Pyro 2 and everything pre-installed and I tested it on my computer.

Just unzip the file to your drive ( not to deep paths ) and run the IDE. You still need to download the essentials though.

zxretrosoft(Posted 2016) [#246]
Yes, that was the problem! Now it works fine ;)
Thank you so much Playniax! It's absolutely perfect framework! Thanks! Awaiting me a lot of sleepless nights :)

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#247]
Glad I could help!

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#248]
Tony, I have a question for a label. Is there a way to set it up that way that a text that is longer than the label width is cropped to not exceed the label?

If not, is there a way to get the width of the text in pixels like with GetTxtWidth(text) in fontmachine so I could crop it by myself?

Playniax(Posted 2016) [#249]
Not sure what you want to do exactly but it has a Width and Height property that always returns the ( text ) width in pixels.

Xaron(Posted 2016) [#250]
Thanks Tony, what I want to achieve is that I have a label with a defined width and I want the text to be cropped if it is longer than the labels width.

Xaron(Posted 2017) [#251]
Hey Tony,

another question. How am I supposed to do a line break in a prGuiLabel and a prGuiButton? This only works with a prGuiTextfield?

"Line 1~nLine 2"
"Line 1\nLine 2"

Both do not work.

Playniax(Posted 2017) [#252]
You can't ( just yet ). I did add a DrawText function to Pyro 2 that can do that so I might implement that for label and button later.

Xaron(Posted 2017) [#253]
Ah thanks for that! Yeah would be handy for Pyro 1 as well. Noticed that it is possible with a prGuiTextfield...

I still scratch my head if I should use Monkey 1 or 2.... lol
I'm just too comfortable with the Jungle IDE to switch back to Ted plus all the other issues I still have with MX2.

Playniax(Posted 2017) [#254]
MX2 as far as Desktop and Escription go is a joy to work with. Mobile I haven't tested but I prefer Pyro 2 over anything else right now. But that is just my opinion. What targets do you need?

Xaron(Posted 2017) [#255]
Personally I only need Android and iOS and Desktop or HTML5 for development. At the moment mobile support is not that important as I'm still early in development, so I guess I should jump into the cold water. The thing is that I have a networking module for Android that I cannot take over to MX2 because it's Java. Looks like I have to do plain MX2 networking then...

BTW: I've noticed that using a prGuiTextfield the font is super sharp (unfiltered?) while it's smoothed with everything else:

The same font is used with the same size!

Playniax(Posted 2017) [#256]
I've noticed that using a prGuiTextfield the font is super sharp

Pyro 1? I will have a look at that!

Btw, check you email!

Xaron(Posted 2017) [#257]
Yes that's Pyro 1. Thanks for your mail, I'll try it now! :)

Anatol(Posted February) [#258]
Hi Playniax or anyone else who can answer this.
I'm back at MonkeyX after a few years. I'm testing out Pyro and some parallaxing right now. So there are two main approaches, the 2D way by simply moving layers at different speeds, and then there's the 3D projection matrix. Overall I'm more keen to use the matrix approach because zooming is probably nicer/easier with this. But I'm also concerned that any image in the background will always be scaled down which seems a bit of a waste of asset size/storage space. If something's really far away it may only ever show at 1/10th of the original size. It's probably not such a big deal but I'd be interested to hear what people think about this, or which approach suits best.

Also, does the 3D projection matrix affect light sources, i.e. if something is far away, does it receive less or no light from a source? If so I'd clearly favour the 3D projection method.
Thank you.

Playniax(Posted February) [#259]
I'm more keen to use the matrix approach because zooming is probably nicer/easier with this. But I'm also concerned that any image in the background will always be scaled down which seems a bit of a waste of asset size/storage space

Yes, with this approach it will always scale.

does the 3D projection matrix affect light sources, i.e. if something is far away, does it receive less or no light from a source?

Mojo2 lights only have effect on the layer they are 'attached' to.

Anatol(Posted February) [#260]
Thank you for your reply. It's much appreciated!

Anatol(Posted March) [#261]
I'm getting more used to Pyro now. It's really quite a time-saver!

Now I'm still experimenting and testing out mojo2 and Pyro, etc. after a long while away from Monkey X. It's working all pretty well, but I'm already hitting a performance limit. A few light sources (one per layer) seem to have quite an effect on performance. I'm intentionally testing with more than I probably should just to figure out how far I can push it. Right now I have 7 parallaxing layers (with normal map images), each layer has one light source. For such a quick test it looks really nice on the desktop browser with steady 60 fps, but the Android fps goes down to about 12. Seven parallaxing layers and constantly zooming in and out is no problem, but light sources impact the fps immediately. I probably shouldn't be surprised, but I was secretly hoping that I can use them more generously on mobile devices.

I may need another approach, but I'm just wondering how others are dealing with light sources. Should I limit it to one only? Is there any way—even if it's a hack—to still somehow apply one light source to several layers at once? Would that even improve anything?