time for a Android target upgrade?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/time for a Android target upgrade?

EdzUp(Posted 2015) [#1]
Android APIs 13 and 19 are set as obsolete by google and can only be installed by ticking the obsolete box in the SDK manager.

Just think its time for a upgrade to one of the officially supported SDKs

Shagwana(Posted 2015) [#2]
Are you sure API19 (Android 4.4.2) is marked as obsolete?, it does not look like that to me.

EdzUp(Posted 2015) [#3]
Latest version of the SDK I just installed its marked as obsolete had to tick the obsolete box to install them

Shagwana(Posted 2015) [#4]
I only said what I did above because I attempted to install the SDK earlier today (12 hours ago) and then it was not marked as obsolete.

Anyway, I am about to do it again and shall let you know what I see!

EdzUp(Posted 2015) [#5]
Yeah would be good to know :)

I downloaded it about four hours ago and it was 5.0.2 and a couple of others that weren't obsolete. Loads didn't show up until I ticked the obsolete box

Shagwana(Posted 2015) [#6]
The installer I just used in the most recent one I can see "installer_r24.1.2-windows.exe" and it does NOT list API 19 as obsolete

EdzUp(Posted 2015) [#7]
Weird I will see what one I have when I'm at me pc again.

I'm sure the one I have is 24.1.2 :/

EdzUp(Posted 2015) [#8]
I got filename jdk-8u40-windows-i586.exe from oracle the SDK Manager in this file doesnt show any of monkeys apis unless the obsolete tag is ticked.

Amon(Posted 2015) [#9]
That's the java developer installer ( java sdk/jdk ) saying that not the official installer for android development. If you go in to the android sdk folder and check the api's, as I have done just now with the latest installer, you'll see that they are definitely not obsolete.

If you were right then Google is making quite a huge substantial set of devices obsolete with this. Looking at my stats on my developer account those obsolete (as you say) api's count for a massive percentage of downloads and purchases. It doesn't make sense to do this. Where officially did you read this as a statement from Google?

EdzUp(Posted 2015) [#10]
The SDK manager that comes in the package for android doesn't allow for the APIs to be installed without tagging the obsolete box.

As it requires JDK I searched for the JDK on google and it pointed me to that file for the windows 32 bit installer

EdzUp(Posted 2015) [#11]
ok now downloading installer_r24.3.3-windows.exe from the android website and android SDK 13 is obsolete weirdly with it installed it doesnt show up in monkey, does monkey use a newer version as I have 19 and 13 installed but the only option I have now is API 10?

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2015) [#12]
Your problem is that Monkey works with too many devices? Making it stop working would be a downgrade, not an upgrade. You can always set the manifest to a higher value if you want your product not to run on older Androids.

EdzUp(Posted 2015) [#13]
@Gerry: you misunderstand its not that which is the problem, my problem is API 13 is one of the default ones for monkey to use as a target this is now obsolete according to androids own installer and sdk manager. Also with it all installed its not now showing up in Ted which is strange.