Best way to accomplish this?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Best way to accomplish this?

nack(Posted 2015) [#1]
What is the best way to accomplish friends referral? For example, recruit x amount of friends to get x amount of in game gold.

The friends doesn't have to interact per say with each other per say (Kind of like candy crush), but just to recruit fds to get rewards.

Is a database the only way to go? or is that an overkill? I am thinking of user generating a unique key code that other fds can input to get reward. What do you guys think?

muddy_shoes(Posted 2015) [#2]
Define what "best" means for you. Fastest? Easiest to implement? Cheapest to run? Simplest to maintain? Most secure?

In order to apply a gold reward to a player you need to have player accounts. How are these stored if not in a database?

nack(Posted 2015) [#3]
I should also clarify, I am referring to mobile development.
As for best, i refer to cheapest to run. So I imagine having a database would be a bit of overkill. Since the really only functionality I am thinking with this "friend" is to get rewards for number of friends you get, and there will be no account information, chat, etc.
The rewards (ie gold) can be stored locally in the device. So I am envisioning if the user has verified a "friend", then the app simply just generate the gold for them. Of course, a database might be easiest to accomplish this, but the extra overhead etc. Just curious if anyone done this sort of thing before and thought of a better way.