Monkey X Jam March 2015

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Monkey X Jam March 2015

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#1]
Welcome to the First Monkey X Jam
Sponsored by
Martin "Xaron" Leidel
Playniax

First of all let me introduce you to Monkey-X.com, Monkey is a flexible affordable and powerful development tool for making games and app's, which can then be deployed on a lot of platforms. some of the main targets include Html5, Flash, Windows, Linux, Android and apple but there are many others, Monkey has already been used to make commercial games which can be found on Apple and Android as well as Steam.

This Monkey X Jam Event is open to everyone, the Event will take place over 1 week at the end of which all entries will be accepted and judged, good luck all.

MonkeyJam
Theme Options
Theme 1 : "Vertical Scroller"
Theme 2 : "Jungle (as in forest not the ide :) )"
Start Date : Friday 6th March 2015
End Date : Sat 14th March 2015 6pm GMT
Judged/Announced : Sunday 15th March 2015 - announcement might take longer depending on the time required to play test the games.

Scroll to the bottom for the Free version.
Download Monkey [ http://www.monkey-x.com/Store/_index_.php ]

Rules
1. All entries must be original works created for this event using the HTML5 target.
2. All entries must be based on the provided theme.
3. All entries must be Zipped and e-mailed to the Judges.
3.1 Entries should also be submitted to the Monkey-X app's section and the source posted in the apps subsequent forum post. or uploaded some where and linked into the forums if upload access is not available to free users..
3.2 Zip files must be under 20 meg for the site, and as small as possible for the e-mail, if issues arise via e-mail due to size then please upload the zip and e-mail the judges a link.
4. All entries must be PG rated and not use any copyrighted asset's, art, sound or music.
5. Use of Third Party Modules is permitted and encouraged but not required.
5.1 All Modules / source used must be Free so that judges can compile/run

Prizes
1st - Monkey Pro Licence
2nd - Ignition X

Judges
Be sure to send your submission's to both judges.
Xaron martin.leidel@...
Playnix monkeyjam@...

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#2]
Winners

Runner's Up

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#3]
Extra Information.

Competition Art Assets.
The following Art or other game related media is for use with this competition and or event, each piece is the property of the creator or author.

Simple Game Tutorials in Monkey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QALHBH4d5B4&list=PL9FB31D9210FE7303
Video's by InvaderJim who no longer use monkey as far as I know, but his video's are still relevant and well worth a watch.

By - Taiphoz

Three Player Ships, a Shadow Ship and a Flash ship for when you take damage. 3 bullets to match the 3 ships, some aliens in a static or two frame anim, some random asteroid type rocks, an explosion anim and a cloud anim for little explosion fx, oh yeah there is a few ship fragments as well for when you want to blow your player ship up.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#4]
Ok I have started spreading this around the net, would be much appreciated if you guys could spread this around to other sources or re-tweet re-spread amongst the places it already is.

Good luck all and I hope this all goes according to plan .

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#5]
Where did you spread it? To avoid redundant postings.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#6]
I'v done facebook to the indie groups I'm a member of and twitter to the #indiedev and #gamedev hash tags but feel free to tweet out and facebook anyway we for sure have different people and groups we communicate in so spread away the more attention the better.

Why0Why(Posted 2015) [#7]
Out on my Twitter...

Pharmhaus(Posted 2015) [#8]
Sadly Im too short on time to help you out D': , but how about:
CompoHub
Indie Game Jams

RenK(Posted 2015) [#9]
Well, I know how I'll be spending my free time next week. Guess having cut hours at work right now doesn't hit as hard for a couple weeks =P

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#10]
only thing we need to do now is wait on the theme's and then code code code code code like little mental crazed monkies. :)

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#11]
I'm so excited ... It will be my first contest.

StoneFaceEXE(Posted 2015) [#12]
3.1 Entries should also be submitted to the Monkey-X app's section and the source posted in the apps subsequent forum post.<Link>.

How do people without monkey license upload their works?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#13]
is uploading limited to pro users? if so I was not aware either way that step is simply for the community to see the work its not part of the judging process.

is that confirmed or?

therevills(Posted 2015) [#14]
On the sign up page it states this:

Monkey X Download
•To download Monkey X, please create a free Monkey account first.
•Creating an account will allow you to download Monkey X, participate in the forums, and more!
•If you already have a Monkey account, please sign in.

tiresius(Posted 2015) [#15]
On the App submit page it says this so I don't know... ??
Only Monkey X Pro users can submit playable apps.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#16]
Couldn't someone in a country with less restrictive laws make a simple "upload and play" form ?

Should not be that hard to code such a thing (upload - uncompress - validate (?) - enable play form) but after getting sued multiple times for works of others I just hosted ... I wont suggest hosting it (especially in Germany). It is far to easy to violate someones rights today (even when doing everything from scratch) - especially picture trademarks.

bye
Ron

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#17]
app's could easily be uploaded to gamejolt without to much fuss if there are issues, it's also possible that people might have their own solutions for uploading, I for example could upload to my own host if uploading here was not an option, im sure I wont be the only one, I think dropbox also works via it's public or shared folders which is another handy option.

skape(Posted 2015) [#18]
You possibly could host it over at itch.io/jams...

Why0Why(Posted 2015) [#19]
Hey Paul, I think maybe we should host it at itch anyway. Nice features and more advertisement. What do you think?

BTW, I really like itch.io. Great site.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#20]
See why could you not have suggested all this stuff during the discussion thread that we had lol.. anyway since this post has been made and been spread over twitter were locked in, but if we get a nice turn out and there is interest in more jams in the future then those are things we can look at, the GameJolt implementation of Jams is kinda nice but who knows, we need to wait and see if this jam is going to be good or not before we look at other options.

So keep spreading the word, keep telling people about this thread and this jam the more people we get taking part the better the event will be.

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#21]
I wonder what it takes to place the news about this JAM on the front page.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#22]
the good graces's of the guy who manages it ? god knows how easy it is to update or change what with it being a custom thing there is a good chance it's not changed all that easily.

EdzUp(Posted 2015) [#23]
Brilliant stuff and a good tool to have :)

retroX(Posted 2015) [#24]
Please be more specific concerning the rules of the jam. It appears that any target is valid, which would mean the judges have access to every device for which Monkey X can do a build, but saying an entry can be for any possible target would be helpful. Mentioning which browser will be used to judge the browser target entries would also be helpful. Should there be a rule concerning how many entries can be submitted by a person for the jam? How many people can work together on an entry? Should the jam be only for persons who do not have either Monkey Pro or Ignition X, because persons participating in the jam hoping to possibly get a prize will have a statistically lower chance of winning if there are entries from others who already have these prize items? Maybe there could be two entry categories, one for getting a prize and one for getting recognition. What is the meaning of "original work"? Can an entry be an original work that is merely a game from the bananas folder which has been modified to conform to a theme? And concerning the end date of the jam, which time zone is being recognized for this date? Should the submission email contain a URL link to the Monkey Apps Forum page? Example: http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=8796. Using Monkey-X app's section for subbmissions can make finding an app difficult. For example the forum page for "EazyGadgets - Basic GUI" does not link to the page in the apps list, http://www.monkey-x.com/Apps/_index_.php?page=5, and that "page=5" will eventually change to some other page. Another example, the app forum page for the second listed topic, at the time of writing this message, goes to an error page, http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=9243. I hope the jam has great success. Ralph

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#25]
apo first of all that's incredibly hard to read for someone like me, so im just gona quote it and then answer the bits ...

Please be more specific concerning the rules of the jam. It appears that any target is valid, which would mean the judges have access to every device for which Monkey X can do a build, but saying an entry can be for any possible target would be helpful. Mentioning which browser will be used to judge the browser target entries would also be helpful.

Html5, any browser that runs html5 I would suggest chrome, if this really matters then the entrant should just say which browser when they submit their game.

Should there be a rule concerning how many entries can be submitted by a person for the jam? How many people can work together on an entry? Should the jam be only for persons who do not have either Monkey Pro or Ignition X, because persons participating in the jam hoping to possibly get a prize will have a statistically lower chance of winning if there are entries from others who already have these prize items? Maybe there could be two entry categories, one for getting a prize and one for getting recognition.

It's open to all, this was sorta discussed already, it's open to everyone since a pro licence user could enter to win for a friend who he would then give the licence to or he might be part of a team and seeking the pro licence for one of his team members there are countless situations where some one with a pro licence might want another.

Teams are fine I guess it's not something I thought of during the initial discussion phase of this event, I initially have no objection to teams but in the future if there are others events like this it might be set to 1 person per entry.

What is the meaning of "original work"? Can an entry be an original work that is merely a game from the bananas folder which has been modified to conform to a theme?

That would not be an original work, that would be a modded version of some one else's work, you could use the examples as a guide but simply modding them would not be wise im sure both judges would spot this fairly quick and discard the entry anyway.

And concerning the end date of the jam, which time zone is being recognized for this date? Should the submission email contain a URL link to the Monkey Apps Forum page? Example: http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=8796. Using Monkey-X app's section for subbmissions can make finding an app difficult. For example the forum page for "EazyGadgets - Basic GUI" does not link to the page in the apps list, http://www.monkey-x.com/Apps/_index_.php?page=5, and that "page=5" will eventually change to some other page. Another example, the app forum page for the second listed topic, at the time of writing this message, goes to an error page, http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=9243. I hope the jam has great success. Ralph

All entrants should e-mail their entry to both judges for the judging process, the section about uploading their app to this website is more about letting other people see what you made and letting people have a shot and enjoy your work.

hope I got all of your questions.

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#26]
When the themes are posted, you should add the timezone to the dates.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#27]
I wanted to avoid that, but we can say GMT 6pm as a loose guide for hand in times

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#28]
Maybe we can use one of them online countdown clocks :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#29]
Hello all.. just before we kick this off I wanted to wish you all the best of luck, and I hope to see some cool little game concepts coming out at the end of the week, to those of you who are trying this as a new language and really looking forward to the prize I would suggest keeping your scope small and come up with an idea that will not task your skills to much, its always better to get something finished and handed in so try not to come up with game ideas that are to complex for you to complete in the week, keep it simple, keep it fun :)

Xaron and Playniax when your both read please post your theme's and I will update the OP.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#30]
Have not seen a vertical scroller for a long time so I guess that is my choice :)

Good luck!

Derron(Posted 2015) [#31]
Hmpf... lets hope for Xaron and a orthogonal theme ...
... else I will have to "extend" the theme "vertical scroller" a bit to create something "vertically scrolling" but no r-type/galaga/... variant.

bye
Ron

bazmonkey(Posted 2015) [#32]
If left as "vertical scroller" it doesn't have to be a space shooter at all :) Its quite a nice open theme. Or, can still go with a retro shooter. Some LD entries really stretch the theme interpretation in some clever way.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#33]
Updated the post, will add xarons as soon as he posts. good luck all.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#34]
If left as "vertical scroller" it doesn't have to be a space shooter at all :)

Correct!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#35]
for vertical scroller im playing with the idea of a ninja jumping from left to right up walls, with the level scrolling down all the time if the ninja does not jump hes moved off screen or into water or something at the bottom that kills him, vertical scroller is a wide open theme.

that being said i love space shooters so don't be surprised if i don't do the ninja idea lol.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#36]
I'm not at home just now can some one tweet xaron and ask him to come post his theme?

Derron(Posted 2015) [#37]
@Paul
I have something similar in mind ... but with an ape, bananas (and other things...) + a bit of "jungle"...

Currently fighting with a prototype and correct appending of objects to the scrolling world. At least "diddy" is already working *phew* but biggest fight seems the IDEs ... closed TED and running "Jentos IDE" and already had a crash ... also even without "autoformat" it intends lines, does not use Ctrl+TAB etc... think I have to extend my Geany plugin these days to work with monkey... the only use of TED and others for me is the autocapitalization which seems needed for monkey...

Edit: am not an active twitter user (except the auto-tweet when posting something on the projects facebook wall).

bye
Ron

bazmonkey(Posted 2015) [#38]
I'd tweet him, but don't think I know his account.
EDIT - tweeted him.

Zer0]{elvin(Posted 2015) [#39]
Here it is I think!:
http://twitter.com/codeknitters

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#40]
Hey guys thanks for the heads up. I'm currently sick so sorry for not showing up earlier. I don't have any special theme in my mind atm. I know this isn't helpful but I'm fine with what Ron suggests.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#41]
That's really kind, but I did not suggest one.

If your imagination isn't the best atm: make a "graphical theme" as the other one is a "genre theme" - so eg. "jungle fever", "balloons", "fruits", "monkeys gone wild" or whatever.

Get well soon,
Gute Besserung - meine Frau liegt auch mit 'nem Kopf im Bett.

bye
Ron

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#42]
Since it's monkey lets make the second theme Jugnle and let people roll with it. updating the OP.

get well soon Xaron.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#43]
With jungle being the second theme I might combine them and do a scrolling jungle thing .

therevills(Posted 2015) [#44]
Unfortunately I'm too busy this time for this jam, but don't forget you can use graphics from OpenGameArt for your games (and of course credit the artist):

http://opengameart.org/content/vertical-shmup-set-2-m484-games

Derron(Posted 2015) [#45]
@Paul
This will get exciting (if I finish it :p) to have multiple jungle themed vertical scrollers

Let's see who's bananas win the race. Good luck.

bye
Ron

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#46]
Yeah Good luck to all. Hope to see some funny Games.

I've just a little Question.
How do u manage the enemy-movement? Do you use Paths? Or do you calculate the path like in the blobmonster example (with Sin,Cos,Tan Functions) ?
I don't want to see any Code, just a little question, cause I'm now about that point :D. A little hint would be great.

Duke

Derron(Posted 2015) [#47]
I have some question too: Is there an bitmapfont class we are allowed to use? I do not own Jungle, so might others, so this class is not available, then there is the angelfont thingy running around - and glText in diddy. I could use prerendered gfx and a simple 0-9 sprite so I even could come along without a bitmapfont class (or write a very basic one on top of diddys sprite atlas).

Remember: Some of us (including me) never used monkey for more than "f5" some samples or moving some rectangles to check it out (but aside of the many bugs or odd behaviours in the IDEs it is very similar to BlitzMax).

@Movement
I personally do not have moving enemies - but for vscrollers units normally have some kind of movement pattern. You could do multiple things: use strict formulas (circle, oval), or paths (like rects, polygons, ...
I would use some kind of smoothed bezier line... there are plenty of options available but it concentrates to using some points and then traveling along at the smoothed path between these points. CatMullRomSpline etc.
Of course such things need a bit more horse power because they calculate positions by traveling along the line until they reach the desired spot/progress.

Edit: For now it is reaaaallly hard to code with the IDEs as a "beginner" - I do not know all keywords a module provides so I have to use some kind of "autocomplete" (or have some long term searches in the internet). TED does not provide this but "Jentos IDE" - but I now had the 5th or 6th crash since start, luckily I save and test often so I only lost a dozen of lines.
My current POV regarding "coding with monkey" is: a big hassle! Hope it gets better the next days.

bye
Ron

RenK(Posted 2015) [#48]
I was really looking forward to this, but sudden change in work schedule just destroyed the free time for a bit. Will still attempt to make something at least.

Ron, if you're having issues with any IDE's, i've been tinkering with a SublimeText2/3 package for a while that you might try: https://github.com/Russell-King/SubMonkey

Doesn't solve the auto-complete issue too well and is far from perfect, but it's a bit simpler/minimal-ish. Gets some of the annoyances of the more advanced IDEs out of your face.

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#49]
Maybe the demo of Mollusk can help. It's pretty 'OK' and available for Win + Mac. Has external help window and other useful stuff, see Mollusk Features.
You can also download the free demo. Please try before you buy!
The demo is for non-commercial use, and it only builds the HTML5 and Desktop targets.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#50]
I am on linux... and do not think about dualbooting/vm'ing for an IDE ... also "wine" is nothing I would really try out. An IDE is a texteditor + helpers. Not more, not less is needed for fast coding.
So when using "Jentos" and it crashes while typing, or while removing chars... this is a no-go. Also copy-pasting lines should not alter intends (adds a tab somehow - even when disabled autoformatting).

@sublime
I tried that once with BlitzMax and did not come along with the different behaviour compared to my default linux editors (geany and gedit). Think I am way to used to my editors to be happy with different editors/ides (shortcuts to switch between documents, F3 versus ctrl+g after searching ...).

Maybe I will give sublime another try.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will try not to furtherly derail the thread.

@Jam
My prototype is now scrolling nicely, kind of an "tile"-system for ground objects while objects may have adjusted coordinates or belong to something else (decoration elements).
Now creating some game objects and an actor to interact with.

Maybe the Tiles-Engine in Diddy would have been doing the same thing with less bugs and less time to tinker about it.

Spend some time this morning to create some first assets: Lowpoly palms are very easily done (modelled and painted in blender). Banana strout in 15 mins or so. Great! Will not even think about proper lighting setups (decides whether it looks nice or dull...). First blocked out ape actor is already on the way... still some steps needed (retopo, texture paint and rigging).

bye
Ron

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#51]
With Linux you are pretty alone, only round about 1% use it, so there is no professional and supported software available -
especially for 'semi-'commercial 3rd party software like Monkey X. Good luck nonetheless! Even on Mac it's nearly un-usable
without external IDE's like Mollusk, and Mac usage is way more bigger than Desktop Linux...

If I would need to rate MonkeyX development platforms, it would be like:
1. Windows (usable using external Mollusk IDE and JungleIDE)
2. MacOSX (usable using external Mollusk IDE)
3. Linux (ähm...have fun with Ted)

Derron(Posted 2015) [#52]
(ähm...have fun with Ted)

Wenn's geht verzichte ich darauf :p

@professional software
I just spend some time with Blender:

Currently learning "Drivers" - when the blocks on the production line move, the rolls are rolling, currently adding something like gears... not perfect but when rendered small enough, nobody will see small bugs.

Edit: checked Sublime Text 3, does not do "Auto Capitalize" (which is needed for Monkey ...).

bye
Ron

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#53]
Thanks for the Quick answer Derron.
I decided to Code with a Path of Points. And i don't need bezier and stuff. i do it like:
Local a:float = ATan2((Path[currPath][1]-Y),( Path[currPath][0]-X) )
If a < Angle
	Angle -= 3.5
Else
	Angle += 3.5
Endif

It looks pretty good for my first attempt and i can modify the radius by setting the radialSpeed.

RenK(Posted 2015) [#54]
When you use the auto-complete SubMonkey will complete in upercase, but currently it only suggests a completion when you start writing in lowercase. I don't advertise the package much since it's still a big work in progress, just figured I'd throw it out there for ya just in case :) Coming from a web dev background I've always loved Sublime Text and was missing it greatly when I got into Monkey so I adopted an old package.

Anyways, things are already looking great. Really looking forward to seeing all the finished projects :D

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#55]
for bitmap font's if you cant use the one that comes with Jungle then look at AngelFont it should be in the modules forum and as I recall is free and should do everything you need it to do.

When it comes to IDE's don't forget jentos, personally I rate them as Jungle -> Mollusk -> Jentos -> Ted , I tried sublime once upon a time but never really got any where with it, you could probably use the Jungle Demo as well I'm sure that builds to html5 for non-commercial use although you would need to check and of course that's for windows.

happy coding, at the peeps whos time has run out you should try putting something together anyway even if you submit something that's not complete would still be nice to see what you were trying to do.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#56]
@Paul
Thanks for the suggestion of AngelFont (I proposed it too, but was not sure if I was allowed to use it).

@IDEs
Jentos is what I have problems with - it crashed in certain situations when I entered specific characters ("pro..." autolist shows "property" instead of productionLine) and crash - had to write these lines in Ted and afterwards it worked in Jentos too. As long as I do not need unknown commands and am just fiddling around with some logic, I can use Ted ... but honestly: convenience is something "Ted" does not provide :p.

As I am on Linux I do not have the chance to try out Ziggy's IDE. It's some years since I used Blide ... (think it used .net framework 2.x then :p) and am still hoping that it will run with "mono" somewhen in the future (so will "Jungle" then too). The current IDE situation is a _real_ show-stopper. The need to buy something to get at least a bit of convenience is worse than having some features missing in the "freeware monkey"-variant. And even not having the "buy"-chance on Linux ... argh.
Back to coding, need to get rid of dead ends on the path for my ape - and soon family wants to play some board games, so day ends sooner than thought.

bye
Ron

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#57]
Even on Mac it's nearly un-usable without external IDE's like Mollusk

Never read such rubbish. And wonder how I got my framework coded with just Monk and TED.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#58]
Never read such rubbish. And wonder how I got my framework coded with just Monk and TED.

Maybe with enough patience :p

Like said, it is easier if you coded much of the things you use yourself because you know the commands then - but if you don't know them, you are stuck.

But let's get back to talk about jams and competitions.

Hmpf, wifey push and shoves me... AI player (dead end test) will have to wait till tomorrow. At least my production line is nicely animated now (at least in Blender ... ). Will present progress tomorrow (to keep the thread alive :p) - except people do not want to have such things tainting the thread.

bye
Ron

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#59]
Post your progress, I wana see it and I'm sure others will as well, in fact that goes for anyone else taking part.

I'v not started yet still trying to formulate a solid idea and plan before I start, without that I personally will end up never finishing it in the short period of time we have.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#60]
@Duke87 while looking at your code snippet I thought this might be of use to you.

give it the angle your thing is moving in, and the angle you want it to turn toward and then an amount by which to move and it will return your new facing angle, code isnt brilliant and if anyone can see issues or spots somewhere it can be improved feel free to show me, its a function I use often.

'summary: Turn one angle to face another at a given speed.
Function emTurnTo:Float(_start : Float, _End : Float, _step : Float)
	Local min:Float = -180;
	Local max:Float = 180;
	Local half:Float = 0
	Local retval:Float = 0.0;

If (_End - _start) < -half And (_End - _start)>min And (_End - _start)<max Then
			retval = (_start-_step)

Elseif (_End - _start) > half And (_End - _start)>min And (_End - _start)<max Then
			retval = (_start+_step)	

Elseif (_End - _start) < min Then

retval = (_start+_step)
			Repeat
				If retval<-180 Then retval+=360
				If retval>180 Then retval -=360
			Until retval>=-180 And retval<=180

Elseif (_End - _start) > max Then

retval = (_start-_step)
			Repeat
				If retval<-180 Then retval+=360
				If retval>180 Then retval -=360
			Until retval>=-180 And retval<=180

Else
			retval = _start
	Endif

Return retval
End

bazmonkey(Posted 2015) [#61]
I had a lot of (not great...) ideas, so just going for a vertical shooter. Didn't want space theme as such, so it will be a martian landscape. Also, spent the day trying to fake a slight 3d scrolling look to it all. Fairly convincing. Maybe pointless. Used a background tile from Mayang textures, made it red + seamless, then draw it in slices. I've attempted the 'slicing' effect before (for waving flags and so on), so I know its doable.

Planets are from Nasa stock photo site. I will pre-render a 3d ship so I can tilt it.
Edit - I assume I can use such resources, tell me if not.

http://goodreactions.com/monkeyjam/day1.avi

I can't spend too much time on it during the week, so it will be a pretty basic 1 screen game.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#62]
that background, if you split it so its the planet being rendered, then the sky and then the glow you would be able to make your enemy ball things rise from behind the horizon and then scale and zoom by the player I think it might look rather neat.

bazmonkey(Posted 2015) [#63]
Hey Paul-
It is rendered in layers (if I understand you correctly -- see AVI), but the code is really hideous at the moment, including the item movement. The curved horizon hides all kind of junk going on that looks bad ;) The balls are placeholder - we'll see how it looks with proper ships in place.
For gameplay, am thinking classic speccy Deathchase3d, mixed with a vertical shooter, have to keep that simple.

PS good luck everyone - esp monkey newcomers.

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#64]
Oooh...reminds me of Axelay on SNES. I kinda wish I kept up coding in monkey....i feel a lot to catch up on...

Ferdi(Posted 2015) [#65]
A very very simple game for the jam: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/129162597/teleporting/1/MonkeyGame.html

Doing the pixel art for clouds now, will try adding parallax scrolling of the clouds ... background is a little empty at the moment.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#66]
Animated production line

Will hopefully build up the foundation of "lanes" for the actor to move on and transport items for bonus score.

Am now playing a bit in Blender to get renders according to my "grid setup" (eg. 64x172 for the production lane - with 64 "top", "64" tileable center and the bottom area and shadows have to be included too ... but will have to tinker a bit about this (and how shadows should drop on neighbouring objects - or if I move the sun more to 12o clock).

@Ferdi
I clicked but found no way to get past the first barrier.

bye
Ron

bazmonkey(Posted 2015) [#67]
I'm drawing ships in Wings3d. This and Ac3d are the only 3d modelers I can use.

@Derron - great Blender skills!
@Ferdi - I got passed 2 beams... super-hard gameplay but the player can learn the trick. Cool use of the theme. Something like Sfxr will create plenty of suitable teleport sounds, if you haven't already.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#68]
Ferdi, try loading in your beams as an animation strip and add a +-2 to the y value after the start and end points it will look kinda cool i think without you needing to make additional art.

I'v started mine today just working on the art first until I have enough to work with then I will start the coding, I'v stuck with the ninja thing I mentioned before just changed it up a bit to now be a monkey running up vines and gathering banana's will post some of the sprites later tonight when im home.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#69]
@Paul
Lol, I had this "ape collecting bananas by climbing on the banana plants" too ... but I think animating the ape for all these motions is really tricky...

Btw ... ape:

Grr... just recognized I forgot to give our poor ape a tail ... I am a bit of afraid to animate him jumping from lane to lane or running... will have to watch some youtubes of chimps in action :p.

Have setup'd my Blender for a kind of orthographic renderer (I try to use a bit of rotation in the camera - 5° or so to add slightly more perspective ... had to cheat similar when rendering my skyscraper for TVTower 3D graphics - to have some kind of "shoe box insight"-view).

I am quite sure that your asset will look stunning ... so please do them in a hurry to let us others have chances too :p

Edit:
@Ferdi's dropbox link: I finally passed one beam ... really narrow slot to "wait and jump" - or I am using the wrong tactic :D ... maybe use the "range" as something to change during progress of the game (difficulty)?

bye
Ron

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#70]
@Ferdi: quite much to hard. maybe the jumps could be a bit bigger in the first so the user gets a feeling what to do. after the 6. restart it was no fun anymore.
Edit: I mean, if i would have reached level 12 then i would try it again up to level 15 and then 17 ..., but i always lost on lvl 1, so i lost my willing to try it again too.

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#71]
Heyho,
My basic Concept is ready.Now i have to fill it with more content and set up some more visual and audio feedback.
As i want to develope it for android as well, i'm not really sure how to do the Movement. At the moment you move the Player by Clicking Left/Right-Key or TouchDown Left/Right Edge of screen.
Run It
Still a lot of work as there is just one Item,Weapon and Enemy yet. Even the Game menue is missing, no Highscore and so on.

@Paul, as you can see, I'm using your Asset at the moment :D. Maybe I'll change it. but for my prototype it's a very good start as I'm not good in designing graphics. (as you can see , the Laser-Shots are drawn by myself )

Derron(Posted 2015) [#72]
Hmpf... had a long fight with Blender Cycles renderings being not properly cropped by libgdx-texture-packer and then loading the atlas via diddy's atlas loader.

- diddy's asset loader has some things to iron out when using the libgdx atlas (my packer has a slightly different format than the old one used in diddy, also offsets are ignored ... which is crucial when stripping whitespace ....)
- diddy's gameimage drawing does not use offsets given in the atlas (and then to gameImage) - dunno if this is an issue or feature, so I do that in my custom classes now
- Blender renders with "cycles" do add some sprinkles of nearly invisible shadow, one might remove that with a higher alpha tolerance in the libgdx packer - or like I do, with multiple render passes which clean out "shadow sprinkles" (shadow plane just receiving lights, shadow plane receiving lights + shadows from objects - subtracting to get only the shadows from the objects)

Now it gets properly cut down (so I am still in the 1024x1024 texture, but will surely need another one).

Another thing I did not get working "smooth" is animation of my production line lanes... Currently I have 12 frames for the movement of 2 boards, but even with 24 it is still not smooth - I think this is an issue with html5-games to just allow "int" positions - so if you are out of luck it moves 2px in one loop - which makes it not that smooth.

--- will have to rework the sand texture, it is still too "repeating" (currently I made 1x1, 1x2, 2x1, 2x2 tiles - with individual variants each)

bye
Ron

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#73]
Just a little Update.
- Enemy now shoots on You
- Added 2 more Items
- Added some Weapon Upgrades
Run Version 0.2

My current Highscore 622 Pts :D

bazmonkey(Posted 2015) [#74]
@Duke87 - it plays really nicely - super smooth! I think you're a little generous with the hit points ;)
Any plans to add a scrolling starfield backdrop?

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#75]
Oh yes of course there will be a parallax Starfield or something.. Wait like 2h or something, then I may will post the next update.
Do you mean the Player-Hitpoints? yeah, thats just for me so i dont have to worry so much about enemy shots, to test for the Items.
When I'll have finished the basics, I'll do the balancing stuff.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#76]
@"super smooth!"
Game has the same visible little jitters my try has too, assume this is the "int"-problem (no subpixel rendering).

Back to prototyping the player and bonus items. Rest should be decoration + extras (highscore?).

bye
Ron

Ferdi(Posted 2015) [#77]
@Duke87
I always like to dodge in this type of game. But I was dodging and dodging, and then I run out of time. Is there an increase time power up? My best score was 434.

@Derron
Very nice raytrace artwork!

@Hard Game
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry about that, when you playing by yourself you don't know what is hard or not. Always good to have fresh eyes look at it. I have made it easier. (hopefully)

@This update: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/129162597/teleporting/2/MonkeyGame.html
* Added clouds.
* Added grassland for the teleporter to start on.
* And I did what Taiphoz suggested, make the laser look more like laser. Thanks Paul! FYI, it is not sprite. It is 2 circles and a box =) Well 6 circles and 3 boxes, because of all the different colours.

I probably do font next.

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#78]
Version 0.3 here

Another little Update.
Now there's a 2. "Kamikaze"-Wave after 30 Seconds.
The Highscore is a little bit "tuned" :D.

[Should decrease the droprate of the Kamikaze + I'll cut the 2. wave after 50 Ship's or something, and make the kaikaze harm the Player]

Coming Next will be a 3 Wave of "Bomber-Ships" that throw little Bombs :), and little Turrets (or something like that)
When i know the end Scroll speed, then i'll add a parallax Starfield and Maybe some asteroids that harm the Player.
I guess then the basic Gameplay is finished. Hopefully i reach this milestone today or tomorrow.
After that, I'll care of the little Eye-candy stuff like animating the Highscore, show that the Player got an Item and stuff like that.

Have fun with Playing.

Is the game still running fast on Your PC's ?

Edit: @Ferdi: yes, when you collect the little Clock-Item u get 2 extra Seconds.

Ferdi(Posted 2015) [#79]
@Duke87

=) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/129162597/monkeyjam/1834.png (28kilobytes)

I enjoyed that. Can I ask how the weapon upgrade works? I got double shots. And then triple shots, and then I went back to double shot, then I had spread shots?

Is the game still running fast on Your PC's ?

Yes, it is running fast and smooth. I am on a laptop i3 2.3GHz 4GB ram.

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#80]
after the triple-shots it shoot's (obviosly not visible) a little bit faster... will change it, when i balance the game

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#81]
last Update for today:
Version 0.4

Kamikaze wave is now limited to 50 ships every 30 Seconds.
made Weapon from lvl 3 a little bit more fast.
Basic Time now 120 Seconds.
Enemies now Damage the Player by hitting him.
Set Player Y-Position a little bit more to the Bottom.

[added bot not implemented yet]
Turrets, Asteriods

Planning for tomorrow:
EndBoss (if you reach 150 Seconds)
implement Turret & asteroids
Enemy-Bomber-Fleet dropping some Bombs.
new Items: downgrade WeaponLvl, stun/slowdown Player Steer, Extra-Points

Do you would like to steer the Y-Position of the Player?

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#82]
@Ferdi, your game looks nice so far, but i still find it kinda hard. but yes, now i reached a little higher level. Maybe you could make it a little more easy in the beginning, and then get harder by making it faster.

bazmonkey(Posted 2015) [#83]
[I'm awol until Thursday, so I will catch up with things then]

Ferdi(Posted 2015) [#84]
@Duke87

I was just thinking about throttling the difficulty today.

Do you would like to steer the Y-Position of the Player?

That is a tough question. It is nice and simple having it just left and right. But then adding a y-position would makes you move forward to get power-ups and shoot at enemies closer (therefore faster).

My suggestion would be to implement both and play it side by side. Then make a decision which one you feel is better, and why it is better. Try to come up with a reason why you choose one and not the other. Anyway that is what I would do.

@Update: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/129162597/teleporting/3/MonkeyGame.html
* Added font, hope I am not breaking any rules, I had these fonts for a while and use it to make my games a little nicer.
* Added top score.
* And several little things.

I am going to try adding sound effects tomorrow. And add throttling difficulty.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#85]
Rewrote my "GameWorld"-class because it really got a hassle to check various element positions (negative vertical scrollers... and I tried to keep things "positive" and mirrored on the y-axis .... ). Now I introduced a camera system attached to the player (and centered horizontally, virtical + offset and limit to scroll in the area of 0,*-800,*).

AI is already moving fine along the "who has the longest" path (lane with the longest "to go" productionline). Will furtherly check if I catched all dead ends (need room for difficulty increasement). Then bonus items will get introduced and the actor can get animated in Blender (for now the actor is a "DrawOval" :D)

My production lanes got a starting and end cap (a box to collect fruits and a tree "dropping" fruits").

PS: This post was to bump the thread, somehow I miss a bit "action" here... Seems BRL didnt even bother twittering about this... maybe next time.

bye
Ron

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#86]
Yeah today i rewrote my code from scratch.
Now its lot easier to setup waves of enemies and their paths, shootbehaviour, hitpoints, and so on. It now needs lots of information to set up those things.
Now the player has a very new weapon system. New items in the game and 2 different turret types.
The enemy is now able to shoot with chainguns. And last but not least i decided to let the plsyer steer the Y-axis as well,

Derron(Posted 2015) [#87]
And as everytime: there is code created which could get reused somewhere else (a basic TRectangle class with intersect code - and collision checks, Event managing systems to communicate between classes not knowing each other in all cases - eg to let my level objects emit score events which the game world could listen to. game world is of course in a nother file than the rest ...).

For now my player can collect things traveling along the production lines, and gets scores for moving along at all.
Also the AI now plays flawlessly - and uses some kind of "risk" avoidance to decide when to move (to avoid moving earlier than needed).

Time to do some graphical things again (ape + fruits).

bye
Ron

Derron(Posted 2015) [#88]
OK ... first simple animation of the ape is done ... needs a bit tweaking but I think it will be enough for the jam ... a real chimp runs differently (mine is more "slowly walking around") but this would need much more frames to make it look good (the use arms and pull their back in the air so the feet can get moved next to the hands and then the body moves forward). Maybe I will redo the animation tomorrow.

Jumping animation is still "todo" - and I do not know how to animate it properly - maybe the front body part will rise into the air - similar to a human jump.

So what is missing:
- a properly designed "jungle bitmap font" (will be nice to do !)
- coconut 3D model (will be simple ...)
- banana "strout" (or single banana?)
- a malus collectable item (eg. a sea urchin) which disables changing lanes for x seconds
- speed increasing over time
- splash screen (will be fun too - because I could reuse my already created models of the production lanes, trees ... things start to pay off :p)
- music (should I try to arrange some things on my own?)
- sfx (hmm I wont mention if I recorded/"cried" the sounds on my own or not :p)

Current state:

bye
Ron

vic(Posted 2015) [#89]
Nice work Ron, looks like a fun game already :)

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#90]
Hey Guys, so here's the newest Version so far. It's more a benchmark-prototype than rather a game :D.
Version 0.5
Now the basic programming design-concept is nearly ready.
Some Items has no effect at the moment (but don't mind, they will when i finish this game).

Now i concentrate on the Game-Menue, some detail Work and setting up a real Level for Time-Attack-Mode and a "Endless-Fun" (kind of 'All-You-Can-Shoot-Mode') (Maybe both with easy,medium,hard).

Is this Game still running fast on Your PC's ? On my very old-fashoned Linux-Mashine it starts stuttering some time (esp. when lot's of new Shots/Items are made).
I'm thinking of redesign the shooting part at all. (At the moment i do it by a 'Lazy-Initialization' of shots, so every new shot will create a new instance of Shot. and add it to the Managing class. ; But I've learned in School it's nearly always better to create (and initialize) a large List of Objects at first and then only setup each. I've never done this, so i think it would take to much time at the moment to think of that way. (Especially, how can i make sure, that an 'old' shot won't be overwritten by a new one, if it has not reached the end of its lifetime ...)
Do you have experiances with this?
And another little question:
It is better a) Many Enemies have there own "Shooting" List (The Player Checks collision by going through all Enemies (and their lists)) Or is it better b) when i create a new kind of global Shoot-Manager, where all shots are registered and the Player goes through this.

btw: I've created a "Link" Class. I wanted to have a feature to show directly the used Graphics etc. within the Game.
So this is kind of good way to Link directly to them within the "Credits-Menue" Ingame.
I'll include this into my Framework with my own font.
I just recoded it with the standard "DrawText()" Method for You.
When there will be Time enough I'll add the feature that it opens within a new tab (I saw somewhere this feature in the Forum, but i was on the way.

[Codebox]
Class Link
Field url:String
Field Caption:String
Field X:Float,Y:Float

Field txtWidth:Int = 7
Field txtHeight:Int = 13

Method New(_X:Float,_Y:Float,_Url:String,_Caption:String = "Link")
X = _X
Y =_Y
url = _Url
Caption = _Caption
End Method

Method Draw()

SetColor 0,0,220
If MOBox(X-2,Y-2,(Caption.Length()*txtWidth)+4,txtHeight+4)
DrawLine X,Y+txtHeight+2,X+ (Caption.Length()*txtWidth),Y+txtHeight+2
Endif
DrawText Caption , X,Y

End Method

Method Update()
If TouchHit()
If MOBox(X-2,Y-2,(Caption.Length()*txtWidth)+4,txtHeight+4)
OpenUrl(url)
Endif
Endif
End Method

End Class

Function MOBox:Bool(_X:Float, _Y:Float, _Width:Float, _Height:float)
If _X < MouseX() And _X + _Width > MouseX() And _Y < MouseY() And _Y + _Height > MouseY()
Return True
Else
Return False
Endif

End Function
[/Codebox]
HowTo:
global testLink:Link
testLink = New Link(50,150,"http://www.google.de","Link")

OnRender()
testLink.Draw()

OnUpdate()
testLink.Update()

Edit:
My Highscore is 3334 Pts (after 4 Tries :D). But I'm actually searching for mistakes within the game-logic so I'm not concentrated 100%.
@Derron: your Game graphics look really nice so far.

bye Duke

Derron(Posted 2015) [#91]
@Performance
Had no issues here ... 61fps all the time, Machine is an old AMD qith LLano gpu (quadcore with igp) and 8gig of ram.

@game
When collecting powerups the ship should really "collect" them - for now you see the ship overlapped by the whole "circle" of the powerup until it get "removed". maybe animate the collection (scaling down animation + alpha decrease) as soon as the hull collides with the powerup (you could cheat with "rectangle" of course).

Add some more stars variations (light color variation - like if particles changed "light rays" a bit into blue/red/green). Maybe think about adding some slightly visible nebulas or so (this way the graphics are not too distracting but adding to overall look).

@reusing objects
You might have a look at "Pool"-Implementations. For now I did not reach a barrier of GC-workload being too hefty. Every tile I scrolled out of the screen is removed (from a list). A Pool would set it free and make it reuseable.
We do not talk about thousands of objects per second, so I imagine the GC work is low enough for our "jam" judges :p.

I tinkered 30 minutes about some clever algorithms for splitting animation frames non linear accross a percentage value ... at the end I just used 12 if-else-if written in 2 minutes...
Sometimes over-complexification is something we should avoid ...

bye
Ron

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#92]
Oh yeah thank you, very good hints.
Now the items are animated when collecting (by following the ship + Scaling). It's an improvement from like a D- game to a C+ :D and feels much better.

hehe, i've just played my very first attempt. Compared to the Current Version it's like day and night.
Lines of Code have raised from about 800 to 1900.

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#93]
By the way, does anybody knows a good Page to get Free Sounds from?

Derron(Posted 2015) [#94]
Am on sound search too ...

www.playonloop.com
-> the CC3.0 variants are short loopable edits of ~15 seconds - maybe I use them in some kind of "loop 4 times then fade to next song" variant... saves a lot of space

http://www.freesound.org
-> quality is average, you will need to find sounds you could modify (so you could eg extract specific sound effects you need).

There will be a time for me to learn a bit of "music composing" (or better: arranging of loops and so on).

@collecting and D- to C+
At little sounds when collecting or "power up" or "hit" ... will add even more to overall appearance. Think of varying sounds so it does not sound "click click click" but "clickediclick click dlick" :p

bye
Ron

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#95]
@Music:
i found http://soundbible.com/ ... some of the sound are public domain ...
i have now PowerUp and explosion sound.
problem is how to manage the sounds. first i only used 1 channel for explosion (problem: if i destroy a 2. Ship within the explosion-animation it stops and re-explodes (sound kinda weird). Now I'm on trying something like a Soundchannel-Manager, now it switches the channel if a channel is in use. but this leads to a wave of sounds... has to figure out how to solve this. Maybe i should set a maximum number of certain sounds. "I'm looking forward to manage the shoot sounds, as i have 4 different type of weapons with different number of bullets. :("

Ferdi(Posted 2015) [#96]
@Derron

Looking good!

@Duke87

Very frantic when there are lots of enemies and bullets. My scores are 1337, 3667, 1337, 125 and ~1600. At 125, I could not get any weapons power up.

Performance was no problem, it was fast and smooth, even when there are lots of enemies and bullets.

I was going to suggest the green power up are magnetic and comes to the player's ship, but you have those red power up.

@Sound FX

I used freesound.org mostly, and I create using bfxr. http://www.bfxr.net/

@Music

The one I know is http://www.playonloop.com/. It is paid, but the free (very short) loop may be used in your game. You need to check the license =(

@Update: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/129162597/teleporting/4/MonkeyGame.html
* Added Sound FX (Took longer than I hope, I am not very good at it.)
* Added difficulty throttling
* Cleaning up.

Edit
I need to clean up my source code, and may be comment it, so it can be released.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#97]
Still working on a sound manager to play the loops with crossfading (loop1 looped 5 times, then crossfading to loop2 which is looping x times and so on) ... recreating much of the things I already did similary on BlitzMax - but this time hooking as much as possible into Diddy.

bye
Ron

tiresius(Posted 2015) [#98]
I hope there are a lot of entries.
I had to bow out this time although I do like the spirit of community competitions/jams.
We need more of it around here.

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#99]
I've been too busy to put as much time in as I want (such is life), but I'm gonna get something in for the first Monkey jam.

Shooting (hah, pun) for a mini-Guerilla War NES game. Most of the functional things are working the way I want, I just need to spend some time tonight to make the world more "jungle" to match the secondary theme. And audio. And as much sprite tweaks/animation as I can finish.

bazmonkey(Posted 2015) [#100]
@nullterm looks cool!

I've also had a crazy week. Borderline whether I can get mine playable, but i will try my best to enter a prototype.

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#101]
In future we should do more such jams. Maybe then with a community-voting System. So the most liked game wins. Maybe then with 2 weeks time. I've learned quite a lot of things in this jam. I really thought getting sound/fx is as easy as getting free pic, but it isnt. I has to leave my game with some missing sfx :( and i learned it is better to plan a game with less features and then may have time adding more. (usualy im just coding for fun, and I try to plan very much features and stuff, but on some point, mygames become very very complex and then i leave 'em , not finishing them, cause no fun anymore. I guess it's a beginner fault. And of course i had some fun coding a game with a real aim. I am really looking forward to see all entries. I hope i can finish the game menu tomorrow and include a saving highscore system. It's the first time im developing for html, normaly i target Win/Linux glfw and android. So i guess saving highscore will bring me fun as well ;). I hope it will work with savestate so i can store at least a top 5 to the game.
bye duke

Derron(Posted 2015) [#102]
Phew... babysitted for some hours now -- got back and fixed my crossfading music manager which allows to plays looped sounds for a given time ... so I could now have multiple tracks consisting of loop-samples.

Just need to re-include sfx-channels so the musicmanager gets a soundmanager taking care of SFX pools + 2 music channels (for cross fading). Seems I replace more and more things of diddy with custom stuff because diddy does not provide that things by default.

Also I recognized that monkey does not care for specific things it should ... eg. SetChannelVolume(channel, negativeNumber) - it errors out on html5 (recognized in debugbuild because volume got lowered to -0.005 ... ahhhmm ya).
Doing this jam entry has shown to me that various things behave similar to BlitzMax - while others are more "barebone" than I am used to with BlitzMax.

I missed my list.ValueAtIndex (for random access) - for now I am calculating a random number and then iterate over the entries until the randum number is reached. Is there a better approach to do that? Next to "arrays" of course. Best thing would be some kind of stringMap with valueAtKey-access :p.

bye
Ron

Derron(Posted 2015) [#103]
Looped Sounds:
Somebody having an idea how to get rid of the gaps when looping samples on the HTML5-target (works flawless on "glfw")?
I tried "ogg" - and have read this does not happen with wav, so I tried wav, same gap.
It is NOT my code failing because this has a gap too:
PlaySound(sound, 0, True)

So why did I code something playing loops as tracks - if I cannot use such a thing? Why?
IF I cannot play back things "gapless", there is absolutely no need for a "loop" function - because I then always could check for the state of the channel and start playing it back again on my own...

Ideas to overcome this? - and no, I do NOT accept "start the sound again on another channel shortly before the other one ends".

If this "bug" cannot get fixed for html5 (tried ff and chrome/chromium), this is another thing I will put on my "hmpf could get improved" list.

EDIT: someone incorporated something like https://github.com/Hivenfour/SeamlessLoop ? As it seems to be an issue of the html5-audio-element I assume the whole js of the target needs an adjustment to remove the gap somehow...

bye
Ron

Ferdi(Posted 2015) [#104]
Final version: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/129162597/teleporting/final/MonkeyGame.html (407KB)
Source code: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/129162597/teleporting/final/teleporting.zip (160KB)

Good luck everyone!

tiresius(Posted 2015) [#105]
Ferdi Is that an original concept? It feels like the next flappy bird.
Very cool !

skape(Posted 2015) [#106]
Smooth as butter Ferdi. Nice twist. ;)

skid(Posted 2015) [#107]

hoping I still have time...

skid(Posted 2015) [#108]
Derron, have you tried PlayMusic command instead?

bazmonkey(Posted 2015) [#109]
Hey monkeyjammers. I've had a fairly good run on it today. Rendered my ship in wings3d (enemy ship is just a palette-swap).
I know the controls [mouse only] are a bit flaky, but I'm kinda surprised to have got it this far. The code is a mess. I didn't plan for any AI, just a chase game. It does get faster/busier the further you get.

Sounds made in Sfxr. BG track is adapted from one on freesound.org ('16-ca-pads').
Code is a mix of regular mojo and my congo framework - just makes life easier to get particles, parent/child, spritesheets etc.

Tomorrow: collisions, explosions, score, logo. Done. *maybe* some collectible items.
Let me know if it runs ok. Theres quite a lot going on, so I doubt its optimal.
I'm aware of the weird glitchy sprite bug.

http://goodreactions.com/red-drift/html5/

laterz,
barry

therevills(Posted 2015) [#110]
Wow! The entries are at a really high standard!

@Barry - looking good! With the controls, you are nearly there maybe make the ship rotate at increments based off how far the mouse is away from the centre.

@Ferdi - Nice little game and very much in the same style as flappy birds! Its bloody hard too! My top score is a massive 2!!!

bazmonkey(Posted 2015) [#111]
@therevills I was trying to do that. You're right, something is bad in this code! maybe tomorrow... will rewrite that.

Pretty sure @Ferdi has lowered the difficulty, I got 3! Really nice game though, esp with the new gfx and sound.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#112]
@skid
The problem is the looping is needed. I have 15seconds loops - each loop is played 3-5 times and then crossfaded to the next one. With PlayMusic I assume this wont work as intended. As much as I have read about it, this is an issue with html5-audio and you need to overcome this with playing "double buffered".

@barry
Looks really smooth.

@My game
Created Game-Over-Still, now buddies are gone and waiting for little brother arriving here in Chemnitz/Germany (its 01:44 am ...) because they need a place to sleep. So... time for a starting screen (and a nice title :p). Buddy reminded me to code a highscore, so I will try to have some time this morning to create a highscore, then send it in and have a nice day telling my family about my little family getting a new member :p

bye
Ron

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#113]
@bazmonkey - Wow. Awesome job, that looks super polished.

Will have my build up tonight. Adding a few more encounter types, scores, etc.

skid(Posted 2015) [#114]
@Derron, OK I have same problem with my background loop, I'm going to try a simple timer solution.

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#115]
I may be at my finish line, just gonna swap the font and some more testing...

JUNGLE WAR
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61286957/monkey/jw/html5/MonkeyGame.html

Heavily stripped down Guerrilla War from NES.

Forced me to face my fear of sprite creation head on. I'd SO love to build a bigger game like this or something else sprite based, but my sprite skills... whoa boy... do I need an artist. : )

Derron(Posted 2015) [#116]
Seeing your games I think next time I should do a retro one too ... I tried to make mine simple enough to be playable on a smartphone but yours are way better to express "simplicistic ideas" (meant positive!).

Who of you does "open source" the game + assets (if possible) ? I played with the idea of making all my .blend-files available but I am not sure (maybe the game is fun enough to get extended into something "ad-driven" for PlayStore - once I won one of the jams and am having a Monkey-X Pro... so end of 2016 maybe).

bye
Ron

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#117]
@Derron - I've never done a sprite game before (much less 8bit retro), so this was a sheer joy to build (well, aside from fuddling through sprite making). Especially with Monkey (I grew up playing with Basic and Visual Basic).

I actually learned alot about game process from this jam building a "simplicistic" game (I take as a positive!) and hope it helps me on further projects, as well. I could use a bit more "just get it done and move on."

It also taught me I really would love to work on some smaller games with an artist who can actually crank out good 8bit gfx and animation.

bazmonkey(Posted 2015) [#118]
Added collisions, explosions, ui/score. And new controls - yay! Will call it a day pretty soon. Need a menu I guess.

http://goodreactions.com/red-drift/html5/

Ferdi(Posted 2015) [#119]
@tiresius

Thanks for trying it out. Hopefully it is an original concept, but you never know with all the games on playstore and appstore.

@Unlikely

Thanks Unlikely!

@bazmonkey

That looks awesome!!

@therevills

Yeah, I did tone it down. If you look for my very first version on this thread, that is the most difficult. The final version increases in difficulty. And, thanks for trying it out!

@nullterm

It plays nicely, love the sprites. I got up to 2600, does the player's life regenerate?

bazmonkey(Posted 2015) [#120]
Cheers Ferdi.
I'm done now: added logo, a 2nd enemy type (2 hits to kill the pink ones), and a powerup thing (the glowy dot).

Edit - tested on my old netbook - it runs choppy there, but it runs :/

Derron(Posted 2015) [#121]
Someone using "Diddy Loading Screen" - tried what I could but even the sample is just showing the "full" bar and of course waits until everything is loaded.
So I tried what it does: it loads the assets and AFTERWARDS it calls updates/renders - so this seems pretty useless to me. Suggestions?

EDIT: Ok, just wrote my own implementation which "loads until nothing more to load" and inbetween updates the loading bar.

bye
Ron

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#122]
Hehey, here's my contribution: Dropbox Link

Quick Play HTML

Not really ready yet, but I've no time left to do some more works :(.

But I will end the Game and put it on Monkey. I had a lot of fun coding this Game. And there are like 1 mio Ideas i have to Add and Bugfix :D.
By the Way, i forgot to put in the Sound-Sources: I took them from Soundbible.com, and freesounds.org.
But i really have no time at the moment, as i have to go now.

Bye Duke

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#123]
god iv been way to slow and not had nearly as much time for this as I thought I would :( <no entry from me> good luck to those who have and will be able to submit something tho and happy monkey birthday to who even wins the pro licence.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#124]
@Derron ask that in the Diddy forum thread because as I understand it's implementation it is updating after loads.

Are you doing this in your loading method.

images.Load("earth.png", "", True)
diddyGame.loadingScreen.Progress()
etc....

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#125]
@nullterm:
Maybe you could add "Y" to throw, as on German keyboards Y and Z are switched, would make it easier to play. (especially for Xaron, as i think he will have a german keyboard as well) :D.
Its hard to play with X and Z on german keyboard, as there's a big gap between.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#126]
@ Paul yepp, i did it that way

I loaded, and progressed - but it wasnt rendered. So the whole "loadResource"-function just was run in the main thread (like I except). I assume loading images should trigger something ... and then this trigger should force a "render" or so ... but this does not happen.

My entry: Ape's Banana Conquest

Play:
http://digidea.de/games/abc

Source+Build as archive:
http://www.digidea.de/games/abc/apesbananaconquest.zip

Credits + Information are shown when demo mode starts (just wait 15 seconds in the title screen and the ape will play automatically).

Have fun.

(Tested with Chrome)

Will mail it to the judges now.
EDIT: Sent mail, maybe Xaron needs to check its gmail spam folder then - because I often get blocked by gmail (many fakemails get send with my domain gamezworld.de as sender). If not: just download the source+build-archive from here.

bye
Ron

bazmonkey(Posted 2015) [#127]
@Derron - thats a great entry! Really well made + fun to play. Well done.

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#128]
@Duke87, done! Thanks!

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#129]
So, we all done?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#130]
Congrats, some great stuff guys!

So everybody finished?

skid(Posted 2015) [#131]
I'm not going to make it, started too late :(

vic(Posted 2015) [#132]
@Derron: Great job, I really like what you made in such a short time... I managed to get 16680 points and 520 meters ;)

vic(Posted 2015) [#133]
@nullterm: Nice game, I like the 8-bit retro style, I feel like a Commando ;)

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#134]
nice replies from all contributers. i'd say, this contest is a big success for the Monkey Community.

@Derron: How do you do the Blender stuff? I'm thinking of installing to and try to do an animation for my ships.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#135]
I counted 5 enties so far, correct?

Derron(Posted 2015) [#136]
bazmonkey, mine (Derron), Duke87, Ferdi and nullterm - 5 entries, yep.

@Blender
You just need to be brave enough to get the first hang of it. Start it up, watch some basic tutorials (old cgcookie/blendercookie tuts) to see how things "work" in Blender. Experiment with basic things like blocking out objects (extrusion etc). Then watch some "how to model XYZ" tuts (also cgcookie) because they do nifty things during the videos, explaining some useful shortcuts or ways of doing things (using quads, not tris, diamond pattern etc.).

I really like the way of "consistence" they try to have: with G you grab vertices/faces/... and are able to move them. But when on a keyframe view, G also allows moving the selected objects on the animation line ... nifty. Same for S (scaling) etc.
Animation is done using automatic keyframing (so you setup things and it stores the changes) or via manual insertion (press "i" and select what you want to keyframe of the current selected object).

bye
Ron

bazmonkey(Posted 2015) [#137]
5 is decent - and all very good, lots of effort put in. We know the limited reach of monkey at present, and these things take time (+ promotion) to really build up.

I'd probably clarify some of the rules a bit for next time. e.g. what kinds of assets you can/can't use - there's such a mix of licences out there. But, the 2 theme idea was good, and the 1 week time-frame worked for me anyway.

Its the first time I've used Wings3d to produce something usable, so I learnt something this week.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#138]
I only used "CC"-sounds and graphics I did my own.

@downtime
Sorry for crashing the server, my previous post contained a paragraph crashing the server... so the elaboration about the new blender renderer engine is gone :p (reported to support too).

Edit:
I Intend to have some small changes in my jam entry (so to react to mousehits too - which allows playing on a smartphone) and maybe adding a monkey logo to the credits. Is this okay? (the judges already got the "jam version") - or should I keep it as it is?

bye
Ron

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#139]
Unfortunately, Xaron is still sick so hopefully tommorow we can make decisions.

We wish you well Xaron!

Derron(Posted 2015) [#140]
I allowed myself to update my online version to include a monkey-x logo in the credits (because someone in the blitzmax forums wrote I did not mention it that clearly).

Hope this does not break the jam-rules.

Get well Xaron.

bye
Ron

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#141]
any results in yet?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#142]
Sorry guys, I am waiting for Xaron to reply!

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#143]
Never mind.

Here as i promised a little Update: Click here!
Now a little Highscore System is included.

Now I'll redesign all used Graphics and Sounds. I hope I can put it to Monkey as a App on this Weekend. (The Highscoresystem for HTML was very hard for me to code, as I never have done this before, The Desktop version was way easier by using FileStream ...)

bye Duke

Looking forward for the Next Jam(?!)

bazmonkey(Posted 2015) [#144]
No shortage of jams - 1 month until Ludum Dare 32. Mini-LD starts this weekend, if you want to have a practice run (to get used to the site/process perhaps).

I've entered the last 3 LD, though I wasn't that excited about the last theme. The 2 theme idea would help them I think.
You have to be really focused in the 48 hr compo :P

Derron(Posted 2015) [#145]
Updated mine too: had a little bug regarding checking upcoming "lanes" - so it was possible that lanes ended (hopefully when fast enough so you could jump to the next lane), already decreased jumping time the faster the speed is (not 1:1 ... ). Shamefully I recognized I totally missed to reset a variable in my loops - so other decoration elements (little trees and rocks) were not placed on empty slots in the grid (randomly) ... re-enabled that.

All changes are listed in a little changelog on the corresponding website. It also used my modified brl/mojo/audio.monkey and re-enabled audiofading in diddy-screenfades (it needed my introduced GetChannelVolume() to work properly).

@LD
I think I better should do such things in Blitzmax for now ... long way to get warm with Monkey and how things work here :p

Such jams really add to how you organize things like asset creation - I created a shell script extracting sprites from single-render-spritesheets, cropping other render stills and finally calling the libgdx-spritepacker.jar to pack the assets into various atlas-files. Then later on all files are copied to the desired data-directory of my jam project. Writing the script tooks some minutes, but when redoing some assets I just executed the script and 3-4 seconds later I had all assets recreated/refreshed and ready to use.
Same for doing the bitmap fonts with "hiero" (libgdx too).

bye
Ron

dragon(Posted 2015) [#146]
i found a website with many "game jams"

http://www.indiegamejams.com/

next time, submit it here

or here you can create own jam

http://jams.gamejolt.com/

skape(Posted 2015) [#147]
Or here is a good game jam website:
http://www.itch.io/jams

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#148]
Hi guys,

I need your help on deciding!
Internally at Playniax we have already made a list of possible winners but Xaron is not responding (he is sick) and I would like to discuss it with him first before we go public.
Any suggestions on what to do?

Tony

Derron(Posted 2015) [#149]
I on my site force myself to just be patient. Health before competition - so for me: wait until he is well again.

bye
Ron

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#150]
Yes, let's wait at least another week.

Why0Why(Posted 2015) [#151]
I feel that you should choose. I just don't think it is fair to the contestants to have to wait that long when they were given a short time frame. With that said, get well soon. Xaron! You were the impetus for the competition in the first place.

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#152]
Ahh sick again, my whole family, sorry for the delay from my side. Will hopefully look definitely into this next week!

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#153]
I've had a few ugly bugs tear through my family the last few months. Feel better all!

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#154]
That did come in waves. Feaver above 40° for all of us (wife, kids, me...). Tomorrow I will definitely look into this!

Derron(Posted 2015) [#155]
Gladly skipped influenca/cold this winter ... good thing (wife pregnant and I want to avoid potential risks). But my family (I mean parents, brothers/sisters,... - just do not want to call them "relatives" ...) got it all even a newborn with fever (40°C too) etc.
Dunno why it got that widespread - with this winter being "nonexistent" (had some days of snow here in the lower areas of the iron ore mountains - "Erzgebirge" will be more known to you @ Xaron :p).

bye
Ron

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#156]
Xaron wrote:
Tomorrow I will definitely look into this!

Thanks, tomorrow it's already 2 weeks overdue.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#157]
Hi guys!

First of all, sorry that you all had to wait so long. Health before everything else!
Because you had to wait I have added a price to the jam.The prices are now:

1.Monkey X Pro
2.Ignition X + R.U.B.E. Importer
3.Ignition X

The quality was very good. We really liked what you guys did so it was hard to make the final decision but here it goes.
(scores are for Technical, Art, Gameplay, in that order)

Ape Banana Conquest : 8 + 8 + 6 = 22
Red Drift : 7 + 7 + 6 = 20
Jungle War: 8 + 6 + 8 = 22
FranticSpace : 7 + 5 + 7 = 19
Teleporting : 5 + 6 + 8 = 19

We believe that Jungle War was the most fun to play so therefore it will win slightly over Ape Banana.
Here are the winners:

1. Jungle War.
2. Ape Banana Conquest.
3. Red Drift.

Contact us to collect your price!

Derron(Posted 2015) [#158]
Thanks for giving "ABC" a price.

Please give Ignition X + RUBE to someone else (maybe Frantic Space - place 4).

I am only interested in getting "Monkey X" (to create android builds), as the other module is hmm seems not to be of use for me now (with the free variant of monkey - "regardless" how powerful ignition surely is). Hmppf, that means I need another Jam to get it (April is starting in the next days - so hurry up :p).

I agree that "jungle war" was offering a bit more gameplay wise - I expect an advanced variant with "free angle"-shooting (for players and enemies). If the author wants, I would be willed to work on some pixel gfx.

Edit: it is a pity that you did not enjoy it (ABC) gameplay wise as we enjoyed it here (trying to get a better score than others). Feel free to add your personal feedback to the entries (eg. "improve X to improve overall appearance").

Edit2: We also discussed about "Teleport" - and had some ideas to increase gameplay depth a bit: obstacles (or varying thickness) and the inclusion of "click spots" as movement direction (same for touch of course). We also discussed about Jungle War (some other game play enhancements). For my game (bananas :D) we had plenty of ideas (expecially when I told my buddies, that _this_ is my jam entry as I tried to make them try "all entries") - time slowdown "turtles", movement stopping spiders, ...

I hope some of you are nice enough to give "ideas"/improvement suggestions for my game too. I try to listen to them. But since I do not own "Monkey Pro" I can only do HTML5/desktop (I did the gameplay regarding smartphone devices - so I kept it simple and tried to create the addiction via score system).

bye
Ron

vic(Posted 2015) [#159]
Congrats to the winners, looking forward to the next jam... and maybe there should be a poll/voting system for the forum members too.

bazmonkey(Posted 2015) [#160]
Yo. Thanks all [you have my email address already]. All genuinely great entries. I hope the jam/event idea is taken forward.

I'd put Teleporting out on mobile - you never know. Fun, simple game, cool idea.

LDJam is in 3 weeks, it is a chance to promote monkey again. One totally simple idea would be to add any Monkey LD jam game into a raffle for Pro version?

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#161]
and maybe there should be a poll/voting system for the forum members too

Yeah, I found judging is hard :) Next time forum members should vote!

Derron(Posted 2015) [#162]
I thought of using that "stars" below posts... but seems everyone could click multiple times on it (what a feature...) - so 2 of 5 current stars to the "winner announcement"-post were done by me.

@Playniax
Are you fine to give my price to the 4th place? Like said I am not sure what I should do with the framework and do not know "r.u.b.e" which means I wont need it for now too (I barely use the diddy one as most ot the things are still to be written by our own as things offer too much or too less :p).

Edit: checked what "r.u.b.e" is and see no use for _me_ (did nothing with physics for now and do not really see use-cases for _my_ projects/ideas). Excuse my limited knowledge regarding these products.

Edit2: Ok, seems adding multiple stars is not possible (my second click was made to "remove" my star again ... and added another one, but after reloading the page, the count has gone back to 4 ... so it seems to work...somehow). If there would be a "list" added (who "starred" something) you could use the star system to rate things in a jam entry without creating additional polls).

bye
Ron

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#163]
Congratulations everyone! It's hard to find all entries, so here an overview with all 5 entries:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jungle War

Author: nullterm

Play Online: http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=9597
Play Online: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61286957/monkey/jw/html5/MonkeyGame.html
Download: -

Judge scores
Technical:  8
Art:        6
Gameplay:   8
-------------
Result:    22

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ape's Banana Conquest

Author: Derron

Play Online: http://digidea.de/games/abc/
Download: http://www.digidea.de/games/abc/apesbananaconquest.zip

Judge scores
Technical:  8
Art:        8
Gameplay:   6
-------------
Result:    22

Red Drift

Author: bazmonkey

Play Online: http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=9598
Play Online: http://goodreactions.com/red-drift/html5/
Download: http://goodreactions.com/red-drift/

Judge scores
Technical:  7
Art:        7
Gameplay:   6
-------------
Result:    20

Frantic Space

Author: Duke87

Play Online: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100178309/Final_FranticSpace/Html_Playable/MonkeyGame.html
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/whw444ojyde87tc/AACNBN9M6zii-yxxhWV9yN0_a?dl=0

Judge scores
Technical:  7
Art:        5
Gameplay:   7
-------------
Result:    19

Teleporting

Author: Ferdi

Play Online: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/129162597/teleporting/final/MonkeyGame.html
Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/129162597/teleporting/final/teleporting.zip

Judge scores
Technical:  5
Art:        6
Gameplay:   8
-------------
Result:    19

Derron(Posted 2015) [#164]
@Danilo
Thanks for these nice overview of all entries - you might even create a small screenshot of all of them to make it even more complete.

@nullterm
I just had the idea to mix our both games: Jungle Wars with apes. So instead of "bloodily" shooting human soldiers, we could have "army ape soldiers" (ape + helmet or so) throwing banana bullets (maybe boomerang like or coconut grenades. Would make your game "more friendly" for younger players. "deadly" hit apes fell on their back and fade out without die-animations. I had the idea of "bad apes" at first too - but thought it just would not fit well into my game in faster stages (they would have blocked your production line until you hit them x times with banana shots).
Feel free to contact me if you are interested in such a collaboration (or if you want to talk about extending your game).

bye
Ron

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#165]
W00t!

Wow, the scoring was close, with good reason too as they were all good entries.

@Derron, I like the idea! Though I'm stacked up with too many things on my plate as is, maybe when I'm juggling fewer balls. : )

I'm already a Monkey X Pro owner, anyone wanna prize tradesies for an Ignition?

tiresius(Posted 2015) [#166]
Congratulations everyone. If there is another one I hope to enter even though I have all the products offered ....

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#167]
nullterm wrote:
I'm already a Monkey X Pro owner, anyone wanna prize tradesies for an Ignition?

Just exchange place 1 and 2, they have same scores anyway, and both guys could be happy. ;)

You would get IgnitionX + R.U.B.E. importer --- Derron would get the MX Pro he wants, so he can bring 'Ape's Banana Conquest' to all platforms.

Why0Why(Posted 2015) [#168]
Definitely do a swap!

And Ferdi, I think you need to make your game a little harder :P Either I am just horrible or it is way too hard!

Ferdi(Posted 2015) [#169]
Congrats to the winner, Nullterm, Derron, and Bazmonkey. And looks like a good swap.

Thanks to the sponsors / judges, Xaron, and Playniax. And Ignition X is awesome. I am really enjoying using it!

And a really BIG thanks to Paul - Taiphoz, who started / organize the whole thing.

Jams are fun. Hopefully more will join next time =)

@Why0Why - yeah ... well =D ... ok ok I give you some tips. Before you teleport over the laser, get as close to the laser as possible, but dont get kill. =) And after you teleport over the laser, do another teleport quickly. This will ensure you don't hit the laser when you going down.

@bazmonkey - I might release it on mobile, but it feels too shallow as is, for me anyway. May be a collection of those.

@LD - the 48 hours is a double edge sword. It is really good at making you finish something, but it can also destroy the quality of your game. But, I always look at the the final (20?) themes, and see what games to make from it. I find it good practice at game design.

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#170]
Swap works for me!

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#171]
Derron, my kids (5 and 1.5) LOVE your game. Although the 1.5 is more observer than player, giggling away as she watches the monkey jump around.

Needs to be on the App Store. ; )

Derron(Posted 2015) [#172]
Thanks for your kind words... I _really_ feel better that some young ones enjoy it. Cannot await my baby to get born and grow up so I could do some little apps for him/her to be better prepared for the upcoming "digital world". I already made a simple painting app 2 years ago - with big fat brushes, rainbow colors and stamps - to make a 4.5 years old learn a bit of mouse control. While "touch" is everywhere, "mouse control" trains the brains a bit more, as you have to move something which controls something different in another spot of the "pov" of a child (hand-eye coordination). With "touch" you get a something "easier" control which allows for a different (but still somewhat "complex") interaction with our younger fellows.

Again: Thanks for the commendation, this is way more worth than any price for me.

Regarding a switch:
I feel a bit uncomfortable now as I offered the price to someone else but as I want "Monkey X Pro". So - please excuse me @Duke87 but the offer is just to good to play the altruistic one.
So if it's OK I would switch my price with nullterm's.

bye
Ron

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#173]
Right, let's do that.

Ron could you please send me your contact details (full name plus adress), I need that for the purchase on the shareit page so you are the owner.

Cheers!

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#174]
I feel a bit uncomfortable now as I offered the price to someone else but as I want "Monkey X Pro"

If you have promised this already, then stick to your promise. Backing out because you get an advantage now is pretty low in my eyes.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#175]
Albeit I shouldn't give something on your responsem but it hit me because I thought of stepping back on my own (as I offered to give it to someone else - without knowing if possible etc).

The problem is: I offered it, and it wasn't accepted yet, then - after my proposal - nullterm mentioned he does not need "monkey x pro either" and someone suggested to switch.
When now denying my price (and the switch) it does have negative aspects to nullterm too (he gets monkey instead of ignition).
Means: regardless of what I am doing, it hits someone (loose-loose-situation).

Ok, just remembered one post from you to me on the blitzmax.com forum - this helped me to get over it: I take Monkey X and ignore what you might think of me because of this. I also will try to contact Duke87 and clarify things with him (if there are things to clarify).

Edit: mailed Duke87 to his email and explained things, offered to hand him over my "Monkey Pro licence" then if he really wants it. So this is not the offered price but the one to make "jam winner" nullterm happy.

bye
Ron

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#176]
@derron: no problem Im cool with your decision. And i dont need the monkey x pro license as i own it already :). Your game was really the better one, so it would be unfair if i'd get a price you should get. At the moment i have a lot to do so im sorry if my answers take some time.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#177]
I already replied to your E-Mail, thanks again. Please feel free to come back to me if you need some help for your next jam (checking the progress to enhance it during development, not after time has run out :D, could also help you with some assets if I have spare time then).

bye
Ron

Skn3(Posted 2015) [#178]
Some good entries. My favourite is teleport. I think with a bit of refinement you are onto a good idea here. It definitely had an addictive quality. Good stuff all!

Derron(Posted 2015) [#179]
Hi, just wanted to "announce" that I extended my jam entry:

- settings gui (english/german + sfx [on/off])
- online/offline-highscore
- production lines with varying speed and direction
- bonus item "time turtle" (slowing down the running speed again)
- obstacles inbetween the jumping lanes
- various bug fixes
- some improvements (hitboxes, gfx variation, html5-audio player extended to support 2 music streams, same for android version)
- android version (on request you can get it for free from me - just selling it to "maybe" be able to buy 1-2 beer during the BBQ season this summer :-) )

App could be found via:
http://www.monkey-x.com/Apps/app.php?id=346

bye
Ron

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#180]
Wow...totally forgot all about this. Congrats to everyone who managed to join though :). I do want to see more like this here.

Samah(Posted 2015) [#181]
I would have entered but I have no imagination and prefer to work on frameworks. :P
therevills can attest to this.

Why0Why(Posted 2015) [#182]
The first step is admitting you have a problem :P

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#183]
Anyone here in for another game jam?

I am to busy for judging this time but I can make our products Pyro, Ignition X and Defenstar available for the winners if people are interested!

bazmonkey(Posted 2015) [#184]
I've got a busy teaching schedule, so game jams are out for now :(

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#185]
I wouldn't mind seeing another game jam here :). May even participate this time.

tiresius(Posted 2015) [#186]
Yes a game jam is a good opportunity to force me out of my shell and actually code something.

The very first one that Paul - Taiphoz did was a lot of fun (Monkey Summer 2012) and forced me to actually learn the language.

Hey if it can be based on mojo2 there may be no need for a Newbie/Veteran prize split. :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2015) [#187]
Yeah I actually started them both but sadly at the moment I don't have the time, I kinda got hurt and had months away from the PC which sucks balls, still sore atm but not touched any code in a while and it looks like a lot around here in terms of code has changed what with mojo 2 and all, I really hope some one else picks up the mantle and runs with it tho game jams are good for everyone not just those who take part in them.

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#188]
Jam! Jam! Jam!

I'm using Monkey for some non-Monkey jams. GBJam starts this weekend. I posted details here.

arawkins(Posted 2015) [#189]
How would you guys feel about hosting a monkey jam on itch.io?

https://itch.io/developers/game-jams

It has some good functionality for uploading games, voting, deadlines, etc. I think it's pretty easy to set up, I'd be happy to do it.

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#190]
As long as it's in Sept (or later), my August is nuts.

arawkins(Posted 2015) [#191]
Maybe it makes sense to wait for the first release of Monkey 2?

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#192]
> first release of Monkey 2?

Not sue when that would be. I think only Mark could comment on when, but I'd guess there's still alot of work ahead.

I'd like to get in atleast one more jam with MX1.

Neuro(Posted 2015) [#193]
MX2 could be several months until official first release. I would stick with MX1 for now if we're gonna do another jam.

tiresius(Posted 2015) [#194]
Mojo2 would be fine to use now. When MX2 comes out there may be all sorts of gotchas that might turn off new people.

I've heard of itch.io thing a few times before sounds like a great idea.

arawkins(Posted 2015) [#195]
Ok I just read through the whole thread, sorry I see itch.io was already suggested/discussed :) So based on what I read, here's some thoughts:

Timeframe: Mid-September? 1 week seemed like a good length for a jam, but there was at least one suggestion for longer (2 weeks). Also we can make sure to specify a time zone for the start/end of the jam as that seemed to cause a bit of confusion.
Judging: Community Judging this time? Itch has a built in voting system for this so it wouldn't require any setup.
Assets: It seemed like there was some confusion about what was allowed. Should any/all assets be allowed?
Targets: HTML5 target only again?

Any other feedback/thoughts based on the last jam, or just in general?

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#196]
When we get closer to MX2 official release, we should have a 1 week jam starting the week MX2 is released.

Hey Mark, if you're hiring for your marketing team... first one is a freebie!

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#197]
@arawkins: Not sure if we need to restrict assets or not.

My only suggestion is sticking to a theme, whether that's a thing or a concept. Like "banana" or "slippery."

HTML5 is my preference, mainly because it makes it accessible to most.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#198]
Nobody up for another MX1 Monkey Jam?!

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#199]
oh yes here!
I'd like to code another Jam!
No matter if with/without a winning prize. Just 4 fun!

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#200]
ok, that's one :)