What are you using for coding a 3D-game?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/What are you using for coding a 3D-game?

chimaera(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what 3D framework (if any) you are using? Is mini3D the one that people are using?

I have been messing around with 2D in Monkey but would like to start messing around with stuff in 3D, but I am not sure if there are any good 3D frameworks out there that is still being developed. I noticed that Mini3D has not been changed in a year?

Thanks!

impixi(Posted 2015) [#2]
At the moment I'm writing a three.js wrapper for use with Monkey. Unfortunately it will only work for HTML5 target (or a custom "three" target if I go that route). I have the fundamentals working, though I'm not sure how to best handle the main render loop... Might have to code my own Mojo-like App framework.

What is/are your intended target/s?

Re MiniB3d: It seems Adam is too busy to work on it these days (and few others have the capability/inclination). It's a big job coding a x-platform 3d engine (regardless of OpenGL "standardization", etc). Anyone who even partially succeeds has my respect.

nullterm(Posted 2015) [#3]
Bare bones GLES2. But as I write components (material, texture, shader, matrix stack, vertex buffer, camera, render to texture, etc) it all goes into my own shared modules I re-use between projects. No plans to share at the moment, maybe when it's more mature. It's pretty loose rendering framework for now, and just rendering. It only loads textures and simple voxel models.

I would like to evolve it into something beefier with some (optional) simple cross platform physics.

chimaera(Posted 2015) [#4]
Thanks for the answers!
I was primarily looking to play around with it on desktop, while ios would be a nice bonus.

Looks like there are limited support for 3D except for doing it you self like nullterm. Not sure that I am competent enough to do it from scratch though. Seems to require loads and loads of skills and time to get something basic up and running. Might be wrong though.

..Maybe I will check out Unity for a little testrun when it comes to 3D.

Xaron(Posted 2015) [#5]
For 3d I actually would use Unity which is much easier to use for 3d than Monkey with minib3d is.