Jungle just deleted my source file without asking.

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Jungle just deleted my source file without asking.

Peeling(Posted 2014) [#1]
While working a few minutes ago, I accidentally clicked to rename one of my source files in the project window. Oddly, the rename box was empty, rather than containing the name of the file. Since I couldn't be sure what the file had been called I hit 'escape' to cancel the process and Jungle did a funny little refresh of all windows, which I thought was even more odd, so I shut it down (selecting 'no' when prompted as to whether I wanted to save changes to the project).

I re-ran Jungleand found a file (presumably the one I'd clicked on) was missing from the project. I tried to re-add the file and found that it had also been removed from the disk.

Not a happy bunny.

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#2]
This is not a Monkey X bug or problem. You need to post in the Jungle IDE forum web site.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#3]
@Peeling: That's very very strange, care to tell wich version are of Jungle Ide are you using?

Peeling(Posted 2014) [#4]
If it's what's on the top of the window, 14.09.17-A

At first I thought maybe I'd managed to drag the file somewhere by mistake, but it's completely gone from my hard drive.

I tried to replicate the issue with another file, but the 'rename' behaved itself, and restored the filename when I press 'escape' no matter what I pressed.

This isn't the first flaky thing Jungle has done, to be honest:

About half the time when I run Jungle for the first time each day, my laptop fan spins up to max and Jungle consumes an entire core's processing. I can still edit and work as normal, but it's chewing away like mad on something. If I close Jungle, it's still there in Task Manager, beavering away at who knows what. If I kill that task and re-run Jungle, all is well.

Also, if I change the Jungle project (add a new file, rename a file), Jungle will reliably crash ~10-15 mins later during editing, entirely out of the blue. If I don't mess with the project, I can work all day without a problem.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#5]
Peeling: That's very strange. Do you have any crash report or something? Jungle Ide does not anything different at the begining of the day, it always launches the same way.
Regarding the "project" related crash, are you getting any kind of crash log or report?

EDIT: Does this happens with all projects of with a given project? If it's with a given project, is there any chance for me to get a copy of it in order for debug the problem you're experiencing? It would be deleted after debug, and obviously non shared nor copied or used for any other purpose.

Peeling(Posted 2014) [#6]
RE: maxing out cpu - no crash log, no nothing. I quit, stop the task, launch it again and all is well

RE: project crash - I haven't looked for a crash log file; nothing pops up other than the usual 'stopped...' windows error

As far as handing over the project - sorry :) If it were some homebrew thing, absolutely, but it's a top 40 title with 10,000,000 users and there's no way that's leaving the building :)

tiresius(Posted 2014) [#7]
Now I'm curious what you're working on. Do tell !

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#8]
Me too!!

Peeling(Posted 2014) [#9]
Sorry; not my call to make.

Snader(Posted 2014) [#10]
Once I had a file, opened by JungleIDE, that became 0 bytes after JungleIDE gave a strange error. It was an old version of JungleIDE.

Somehow something happend while writing the file to disk. Could be an option to create some kind of .BAK file, a copy op the opened file, when jungleIDE opens a file? In this way there is always a backup available when this happpens..

Derron(Posted 2014) [#11]
@ .bak file
It should only get renewed once per session ... to avoid "ctrl+s" + "ctrl+s" overwrites the .bak with the same (or nearly the same) content.

@unknown title
maybe you (peeling) should remove your name from the profile - except you want people to find out at which software company (...blast...) you might work - and which title could be meant then (albeit all 3 listed on their website are lower than 10.000.000, only checked playstore count, -- but even 1-5.000.000 is still not that small :D). If you did not work for T...7 then you wont be the one and there is no "information leak" in your profile you might want to get rid of.

bye
Ron

Peeling(Posted 2015) [#12]
Derron: Don't worry about it :) There's nothing you can (currently) trace via that name ;)

With regards to the original complaint: I've tracked down the issue and have a small suggestion to make:

I believe what happened is that Jungle renamed a file to an empty filename or to ".monkey", which effectively removed it from the project and hid it from view. This happened after me clicking on the solution explorer and starting to type (as one does when trying to navigate the project) without realising I'd instigated a rename.

With more testing, I've noticed that Jungle instigates a rename of a file if you single-click on the filename of an already-highlighted file *even if the solution explorer itself was not the active window*.

My suggestion is that Jungle should only instigate a rename of a file if you single-click on it when it is highlighted in blue. Single-clicking when it's highlighted light grey shouldn't instigate a rename.

Maybe it's just the way I use Jungle, but I find myself having to cancel renames and figure out what a file used to be called every couple of days :)