Monkey X + Ignition X bundle! [MONKEY NEWS]

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Monkey X + Ignition X bundle! [MONKEY NEWS]

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi,

A Monkey + Ignition bundle is now available from the shop page! The bundle offers a 20% discount over buying the products individually.

Ignition is an excellent, high level framework for building 2D games and other interactive graphical applications in Monkey.

For more information on Ignition, please visit: http://www.playniax.com/ignition.html

Bye!
Mark

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#2]
Great deal! I highly endorse both products :)

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#3]
Great news to spread to other forums! :)

What about providing a special (time-limited) deal for Ludum Dare 31? Or Christmas deal?
Spread the word and generate some new members. ;)

Amon(Posted 2014) [#4]
This is cool. I already own both and regarding Ignition, it is a gem to use.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2014) [#5]
Good call -- great to see a collaborative marketing effort!

Reckon a "Monkey + JungleIDE" and "Monkey + JungleIDE + IgnitionX" ought to be added to the list. Not for me, but probably attractive to many 'proper' programmers!

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#6]
Maybe more generally, if more addon-developers like it and collaborate:
MX + 1 Addon product = X % discount
MX + 2 Addon products = X % discount
MX + 3 Addon products = X % discount

Anyway, Monkey X + Ignition X is a great cross-platform bundle.

Amon(Posted 2014) [#7]
I'd like the business model of BRL to change to a yearly Subscription. $99 per anum for standard Monkey-X updates and if wanted $50 for optional beta access to target + monkey revisions.

Most importantly there is a need to become deaf to people who say a subscription model will not work and will not get many customers or that it is not in the spirit of BRL. Becoming deaf to the noise these people make is important but also understanding their noise is even more important. Why? These certain types of people have no appreciation or understanding in their minds the work needed to keep money-x and target updates going and it doesn't compute in their minds that there may be a high possibility that monkey-x will cease to exist because they nagged the crap out of BRL to keep things nice and free or at a low cost. It doesn't stop there as when it all ceases they will blame BRL for it and not their own actions.

DruggedBunny(Posted 2014) [#8]
I think something low like $49 per year for access to updates would be a good move... I'd sign up, and I've had all of my Blitz/Monkey products for free since 1999 or so!

deftavatar(Posted 2014) [#9]
@marksibly
What's the policy for obtaining future updates for IgnitionX? The registration code activates here (monkey-x.com) but not at the ignition website (ignitionxlive.com).

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#10]
(Future) updates will be available from monkey-x.com and ignitionxlive.com!

You should be able to register at ignitionxlive.com

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#11]
> What's the policy for obtaining future updates for IgnitionX? The registration code activates here (monkey-x.com) but not at the ignition website (ignitionxlive.com).

It should do...I'll look into it ASAP.

tiresius(Posted 2014) [#12]
This is a great idea !

I've already bought Ignition-X and looking through documentation I will definitely use the framework once I'm done with my other project !

deftavatar(Posted 2014) [#13]
@Playniax, @marksibly,

Thanks. Registered code at both sites now.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#14]
@Amon: I have tried to answer your email from this morning but emails to you keep bouncing :(

Amon(Posted 2014) [#15]
@Amon: I have tried to answer your email from this morning but emails to you keep bouncing :(

Sorry mate. I have been speaking with Namecheap Customer Service and they said certain systems of theirs are causing a propagation nightmare for customers who host their email and website with Namecheap. Just waiting on a reply now to see if the issue is fixed. If it is I've been told I'd still need to wait 24 to 48 hours before emails start filtering through.

garyk1968(Posted 2014) [#16]
Not knocking Jungle but its windows only, if bundling products like this then all products need to be x-platform.

Amon(Posted 2014) [#17]
What's not x-platform about Monkey-X and the ignition framework?

Jungle? Are you refering to the JungleIDE? If so then yes it is windows only....

kmac(Posted 2014) [#18]
This is a good move. In a competitive environment, independent developers should collaborate on commercialization, when possible. More eyes on the package hopefully translates to increased sales.

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#19]
If we already own Ignition are we going to be able to register it here? It would be nice to get all updates here.

Soap(Posted 2014) [#20]
If / when Monkey is ever published on Steam (as a game making tool it should be) could include things like this as DLC and have money saving bundles for buying everything cool together.

How about a BRL Patreon for the subscription thing? Any amount of extra money a month is nice and so is being able to somewhat rely on subscription continuity.

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#21]
I absolutely think that it should be on Steam. With games like Crypt of the Necrodancer and New Star Soccer, I think that helps proves its worth as a top notch, cross platform language.

Amon(Posted 2014) [#22]
Agreed with those recommending steam. Times have changed and the pay once get updates forever business model is a guaranteed way to kill your product.

TeaBoy(Posted 2014) [#23]
I would be more than willing to pay a yearly licence fee for Monkey, especially for new features. New features are a must to survive.

I truely am having a good time using Monkey so I hope this product continues.

Rixarn(Posted 2014) [#24]
The only thing Monkey is lacking to be perfect is a way to allow the programmer to define it's own game loop. As of know, even with Playniax super framework, tilemaps suffer from constant "stuttering" when scrolling in HTML5; it's not smooth at all on devices like smarthphones and tables. At least on my Ipad (4th gen), Playniax tile engine demo is not smooth. But it's not Playniax's fault. This is a long problem that has been discussed before that's embedded in Monkey's Update/Render loop.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#25]
If you are sure your game can do all the updates and rendering in one frame refresh you can do your update stuff from the OnRender routine.
This gives the smoothest result on most devices because that is basically making use of the vsync and you are avoiding the stuttering that monkey OnUpdate can cause.
I am not sure what demos you tested, how many tiles you had on screen, the tile sizes and what resolution you are using but most of the demos run very smooth here.
But the number of tiles, the tile sizes the resolution, all are a limiting factor on speed.

For example, if you have a full HD screen, 1 tile layer and the tile size is just 16x16 you will have 8040 tiles update and render calls for you tiles alone.
So bigger tiles can help.

I might add that the Ignition demos are not optimized for mobile anyway.
The Bouldedash demo for example uses a few New commands in the game loop and the explosions are created on the fly (not from a pool) so that can add to the stuttering as well.

But as far as HTML5 goes, yeah that is slow.

So I am not sure it is the limitation of not defining your own game loop.

Rixarn(Posted 2014) [#26]
Hi Playniax,

I tested Bouldedash demo. Even when not colliding with the bombs (and thus trigger explosions) it stutters. I did a comparison with Phaser's javascript framework, specifically with some tile-based demos and it ran very smooth, makes me thing js and html5 are not the issue. Mobile performance (for a web related game) is the only reason I haven't bought Playniax (better say, use monkey for web; I already own a copy of it), thought It's my first choice if I ever do a device based game. If putting the update logic in the render method is the way of hacking (or overcoming) monkey's predefined game loop, I can give it a try. It just doesn't feel right not being able to manipulate something as critical as the game loop. It has its own conveniences not needing to, but I think adding this feature to monkey shouldn't be that much of a problem and it will give developers even more power.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#27]
Ah, if I understand correctly you tested this in a browser? Not natively but from our website, Correct? (I can't imagine the boulderdash demo stuttering natively on an iPad 4th generation since it runs smooth on my 3rd gen).

From my little experience with HTML5 games in a browser on a tablet or mobile it can make a difference if the game runs in full screen or not and the demos on our website are not optimized for that in any way (probably a good idea to do so).

But I think the Monkey - HTML5 performance issues have something to do with WebGL not beeing supported.

Also not triggering the explosions will still call the New command because the main character replaces the tiles it runs over (need to change that to reusing the existing tile)

I forgot to mention that monkey has a flag called IOS_DISPLAY_LINK_ENABLED that enables VSYNC for iOS or setting update rate to 0 enables VSYNC for iOS and other devices so you don't need to call updates from the OnRender method. As I recall that was added later to monkey and I forgot all about it. So calling updates from render is actually bad practice :)

Btw, do you have a link of a Phaser's javascript framework demo that you used to compare?

Rixarn(Posted 2014) [#28]
Hi,

You're right. I tested it in the browser, not natively. About the link:

All examples

Tanks example (it runs on a tilemap)

Now, that demo doesn't have control keys for ipad and that sucks. You can wait until one the tanks collisions with your tank and make it glide very slowly (fast-easy way) or... upload the demo to a spare VPS you have, and make some in-game arrow buttons (just like the ones you have in one of your games, I liked that :) )

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#29]
Thanks,
I asked around on the matter and did some tests.
I seriously doubt that one on one Monkey VS Phaser has a speed difference on HTML5. As far as I can see the Tanks demo uses a tile sprite 800 x 600 in size(?), not tiles, where the Boulderdash demo draws tiny 32x32 tiles. From looking at the code anyway but I am not a Phaser user. The truth is that to be sure and test against other frameworks you need the exact same assets to be sure and HTML5 has always had issues with the number of draw calls. Add to that the poor performance of HTML5 with safari. Also I could not really find a Phaser demo that scrolls the tile maps so I can't compare it. Maybe there is one but I can't use keys ATM on my iPad. That said, for some reason the other tile demo (jungle) on our website performs much better than the Boudlerdash one so I need to know why that is exactly. Probably because the other demo is not having a full screen of tiles but using huge bitmaps for the background. One thing the Phaser framework probably has over Monkey in HTML5 is WebGL and the ability to cache the tiles to bigger images and draw them so that reduces the draw calls and speeds everything up. But to me WebGL seems to only do so much on HTML5, it helps but overall performance on mobile is very limited.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#30]
Ignition X V2.05 now up!

• Added (experimental) TimelineFX support!
• Added a simple event handler
• Added the TreeList method to iGuiObject and iLayerObject (returns a list of parent objects).
• Added iShuffleStringArray:String().
• Added offsetX and offsetY to the LoadItems methods to shift (repetitive) level data.
• Fixed tile bug not adressing spacing when padding is used.

Download Ignition X or MonkeyXPro 81b + IgnitionX 2.05 at https://ignitionxlive.com/ now!

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#31]
Thanks for the Update and the TimelineFX stuff!

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#32]
Demo: http://playniax.com/showcase/gyruss/demo.html

(This demo is pushing HTML5 to it's limits and you need WebGL or it will run a bit slow)

pit(Posted 2015) [#33]
playniax

problem with 2,05 version when rebuilding help.
this may come from the change in the directories
now, in modules and bananas directory, there is not anymore an "playniax" subdirectory but a "Ignitionx" subdirectory...
this change explain why ted don't find the files when rebuilding like:
ignitionx.engine.iEngine : Can't find import module: playniax.ignitionx.framework.app
ignitionx.engine.iEngine : Can't find import module: playniax.ignitionx.framework.arrays
ignitionx.engine.iEngine : Can't find import module: playniax.ignitionx.framework.collisionlayer
ignitionx.engine.iEngine : Can't find import module: playniax.ignitionx.framework.contentmanager
ignitionx.engine.iEngine : Can't find import module: playniax.ignitionx.framework.font

please help

Pit

pit(Posted 2015) [#34]
Not only the doc is concerned

I just try to re-com^pile my game and problem:
Error : Type 'iBitmapFont' not found

Pit

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#35]
http://forum.ignitionxlive.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=511

pit(Posted 2015) [#36]
Hi playniax,

I did it and it's ok now !

thanks

Pit

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#37]
Why not add the latest demos to http://www.playniax.com/demos.html ?

Tweening module:
- http://playniax.com/showcase/tweendemo/demo.html

TimelineFX support:
- http://www.playniax.com/showcase/gyruss/demo.html

R.U.B.E. support:
- http://www.playniax.com/showcase/clock/demo.html
- http://www.playniax.com/showcase/trucker/demo.html

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#38]
Yeah, we need to update our website!

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#39]
Forgot two demos:

Delta Time and Particle effects demo
- http://playniax.com/showcase/1942/demo.html

Shooting tiles
- http://playniax.com/demos/tiles/html5/demo.html

When introducing IgnitionX / MonkeyX to somebody, it helps when all demos are
listed at http://www.playniax.com/demos.html - including picture/screenshot to make it look nice. ;)

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#40]
I am currently creating some new demos so all will be added.

I also started to add source code links to the demo pages (only 2 for now because I have to improve my source code prettifier)

For example: http://playniax.com/showcase/boulderdash/demo.html

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#41]
Added some of the demos to the bottom list and added a new box2d demo including source code example

Use arrow keys left / right to rotate the screen.
Use space to toggle debug render.
Use mouse to pickup blocks.

http://playniax.com/showcase/rotatingb2d/demo.html

pit(Posted 2015) [#42]
hi playniax

little "problem"
I reinstall ignition 2,05 after installing the new monkey V82b
all seems ok
BUT in the doc, the home page of ignition display as title "IGNITION X FOR MONKEY V2.04"
but it's supposed to be the 2,05..

normal or problem ?

Cheers

Pit

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#43]
Hi,

It looks like it is a typo. I forgot to update the number in the docs.
So should not be a real problem.

Thanks!

pit(Posted 2015) [#44]
OK playniax !
thanks !

Pit