Do texture atlases need to be pow 2 size?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Do texture atlases need to be pow 2 size?

Grey Alien(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi all, I recall a few years back hearing that texture atlases should be a pow 2 size e.g 2048x2048 to work on Android and iPhone. Is that true? Or is it only for really old devices?

Thanks!

Pierrou(Posted 2014) [#2]
A few weeks ago I've had some annoying display bugs on GLFW desktop target only, on my small and cheap 2009 EEE PC (which has unfortunately become my main machine these days). Unwanted black edges randomly appeared around images. On any other machine or device there was no such problem.

See : http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=8592

The flickering borders disappeared for good when I started using only POT images. The images don't have to be square, 512*256 seems to be OK for example.

I can't tell much more about it, but all of us should be aware that such issues still occur on some machines.

Grey Alien(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thanks. A friend on Twitter also told me: "depends, if you use OpenGLES 2 no, GLES1 yes, but width and height are independent (ie. 2048x1024 or 256x512 are fine)."

Pierrou(Posted 2014) [#4]
Salmakis put some interesting links about OpenGLES and NPOT textures in the thread I mentioned above, if you want to learn about it,but from what I understand, your friend summed it up very well.