Same app, different data -> multiple apps. How?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Same app, different data -> multiple apps. How?

Lindsay(Posted 2014) [#1]
Here's what I want to do. I have a single set of source code. I want to create multiple apps from it by simply changing which data files are packaged with it.

Obviously I can create multiple projects and folded structures and just copy the source file across to each folder every time it's changed, but is there another/better way?

therevills(Posted 2014) [#2]
You can "hack" Monkey... I did it ages ago:

http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=1020

Not sure if that code if that works anymore though...

Lindsay(Posted 2014) [#3]
You're a braver man than I!

I've since realised that having separate projects will be better as I'll have to configure different app names, etc.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#4]
It probably wouldn't be outside the bounds of possibility to make something like one of those MSVC wizards that will copy files, and do the appropriate renaming and search and replace. I have found that the latter isn't too hard manually, though, when you have a consistent framework:

- Copy frame folder and give it a new name
- Change 'gameframe' in file and data folder names to 'newgame'
- Open four files
- Replace all instances of'gameframe' in files with 'newgame'
- Replace all instances of 'GameFrame' in files with 'NewGame'

I assume project wizards just do this kind of stuff automagically. If there were a script that could do it, people could define their own wizards.

Skn3(Posted 2014) [#5]
Symbolic link?

So create "data" folder then create symbolic link called appname.data that points to the shared "data" folder.

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2014) [#6]
I've made a similar post to what I was about to post, so I'll just post that.