Using Monkey X for native app dev

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Using Monkey X for native app dev

Sensei(Posted 2014) [#1]
Anyone do this yet, if it's even possible?

I'd be interested to know since I have an idea or two of a tool(s) I'd like to make that'll help with various things in my web development and game development worlds.

Also, I imagine it likely is "possible" to make a monkey X app look like a native app, but that would require using assets that are stock UI assets. Anyone know if there are any to use (I've not googled yet..)

Also, any other useful tips/suggestions for this..

The main reason for this question, is that I'm not really keen on having to learn yet another language, just so I can make a tool or two when I can do it in Monkey and have the tool(s) be cross-platform built from the outset.

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#2]
Native apps for what targets? Are you talking about Desktop targets (Win,Linux,Mac)?

Sensei(Posted 2014) [#3]
Hi Danilo.

Well, I am thinking iOS, Android and Desktop really, ie Windows and maybe even OS X.

One tool is mainly for mobile phones, and the other for desktops.

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#4]
I am working on the Desktop part: MDK - MonkeyX Desktop Kit

Monkey X doesn't make it easy, in my opinion. It works now, but there are still some problems to solve.

Sensei(Posted 2014) [#5]
Cool! I look forward to seeing it in action :)

If you need any testers or something, I'd be glad to help out.

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#6]
Thanks, but it is not ready yet. Just solved my biggest problem today, so I'm looking
forward development goes much faster from now on. I want to build a good foundation
from the start on.
Just reduced the executable size for a simple window (image above) from 556k to 40k on MacOSX.
I think I can live with that. I don't like bloated and un-optimized stuff. ;)

Raph(Posted 2014) [#7]
Any updates on this? It looks very promising.

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#8]
Currently doing the UML modeling. I am working with Mac OS X most of the time, but couldn't find a good
cross-platform (or Mac OS X only) UML modeler for C++ with round-trip engineering.

On Windows I am using Enterprise Architect with VisualStudio integration for this.

CodeWeavers CrossOver Mac says EA runs with GOLD support, so I'll try that.

EDIT: Visual Paradigm is cross-platform and supports Code Engineering.