Experimental v79c now up! [MONKEY NEWS]

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Experimental v79c now up! [MONKEY NEWS]

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi,

Nothing too flash, mainly just restoring EnableKeyboard for winphone 8 which got lost when the xaml-ization of the winrt targets happened.

Also, an experimental fix for points/lines being '.5' off on some targets.

***** v79c *****

Removed 'Flush' calls from mojo native WritePixels2 functions - shouldn't be necessary and causes issues outside OnRender.

Performance tweaks to GC_MODE 2.

***** v79b *****

Fixed some bugs in c++ GC_MODE 2.

***** v79a *****

Points/Lines offset by +.5 in screenspace for android, ios, winrt, glfw and xna targets. Html5/Flash seem to be OK as-is; PSM still on hold until I get my Vita back...

Restored winrt_winphone8 EnableKeyboard to its former 'glory', only tested on my HTC 8S though. Tried hard to get winrt_win8 EnableKeyboard going but gave up. I am seriously considering deprecating this feature as it's a nasty hack on pretty much all targets.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2014) [#2]
sweet

GW_(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thanks!!

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#4]
Nice, thanks Mark! Please keep it going!

Sub_Zero(Posted 2014) [#5]
Nice!

CopperCircle(Posted 2014) [#6]
Thanks Mark :)

erebel55(Posted 2014) [#7]
Awesome :)

Snader(Posted 2014) [#8]
Great!

uboel_at_work(Posted 2014) [#9]
Many thanks!

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#10]
Bumped to v79b with some gc_mode 2 fixes.

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#11]
Wohoo!

uboel_at_work(Posted 2014) [#12]
That was quick! ;-)
Thanks for your commitment to make Monkey a better language with each and every release.

Kind regards,

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2014) [#13]
Bumped to v79b with some gc_mode 2 fixes.

oh, i wonder if that will fix my miniB3D gc_mode=2 crash!

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2014) [#14]
Thanks, Mark. This actually fixed the problem I was having when writing my game server. I was wondering why the program decided to inexplicably crash.

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#15]
> oh, i wonder if that will fix my miniB3D gc_mode=2 crash!

Maybe...except your stuff always involves native code which is trickier.

There are likely to be some rules you'll need to follow when using native code with gc_mode 2 (as there are with gc_mode 1), but since it's all kind of experimental right now, I'm not quite sure what those rules will be yet. This last tweak has clarified a lot though, and I think gc_mode 2 is getting nearer to being considered 'working'.

Once it's more or less up and running, I'll write some docs on using the various gc modes with native code.

golomp(Posted 2014) [#16]
Thank you Mark !
I never encounter the .5 points/lines issue. But thank you also.

Golomp

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#17]
The Product Updates page isn't working for me... is anyone else getting a vague red "ERROR" message?

Edit: The page is working for me in Chrome, but not in Firefox (on Windows 7). Strange...?

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#18]
Just tested it, seems to be fine from my end?

Edit: Mine worked OK for FF and Win7. Maybe clear out your FF cookies, logout and re-login?

Sub_Zero(Posted 2014) [#19]
Mark, I've got 2 bugs for you here:

C++Tool OSX
This version still produces the fricking "cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-Wno-dangling-else" error when you compile StdCPP on OSX. What is the minimum configuration for compiling STDCPP targets on OSX? I run 10.7.4 and XCode 4.6.3

Desktop Game OSX
I get "Transcc failed: Error executing ./Monkeygame, return code 11

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#20]
> I run 10.7.4 and XCode 4.6.3

OS X is already up to 10.9.2 and XCode is at 5.1.1!

There's only so much I can do to support 'older' configs, plus I don't really want to have to release 'xcode 4.6.1' compatible projects that require upgrading on the most recent versions of xcode (which doesn't even work properly - as we found with xcode 5, upgrading ios projects produces '64 bit only' builds which need to be tweaked. To be honest, I'd rather people who are using out of date tools be required to do the tweaking). Or, god forbid, starting releasing separate 'xcode 4'/'xcode 5' targets.

Is there any reason you can't upgrade? Xcode is free, and I think even OS 10.9 is free these days and, as a developer, you should really be using the latest tools and SDKs anyway. You can still build *for* older OS versions with the latest tools - it's just that Apple don't support (or encourage) building *on* older OSs, and I think they have it right here.

All in all, macos/ios is a fast moving target, and it's hard enough keeping up with the 'latest greatest' version of xcode (each update of which invariably breaks something in Monkey!) let alone maintain compatibility with older versions too.

Sub_Zero(Posted 2014) [#21]
Thanks for posting, mark.
There's no other reason than my mac hardware is outdated, it doesn't support 1.8 and above..
Anyway, I was just testing those targets, so i'm not really in need of those...

By the way, when compiling to flash I get an error where java jvm 32-bit can't be found... does this worrk on the new osx's?

Goodlookinguy(Posted 2014) [#22]
Xcode is free, and I think even OS 10.9 is free these days

Yes, yes it is. I just realized this because of your post.

...and now I'm updated to 10.9.3. Thanks for that.

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#23]
> There's no other reason than my mac hardware is outdated, it doesn't support 1.8 and above..

I feel your pain here - both my iPad and IPod proved to be 'un-upgradeable' (ie: I couldn't install the latest version of ios on them) only about a year after I bought them. Staying in the Apple club is an expensive exercise!

Samah(Posted 2014) [#24]
@marksibly: ...as a developer, you should really be using the latest tools and SDKs anyway.

Hahahahhahaha... oh wait, you're serious. I wish my employer thought the same way. :(

marksibly(Posted 2014) [#25]
Ok, just uploading v79c, mainly with a fix for using WritePixel inside OnCreate but there are also a few more experimental tweaks to gc_mode 2.

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#26]
Thanks again! :)

siread(Posted 2014) [#27]
I've not been around for a while so could someone let me know what GC_MODE 2 is all about? Thanks. :)

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#28]
Hey siread, do you still use Monkey after your success? :)

siread(Posted 2014) [#29]
I'm still using it to update NSS and also working on a new project. Whether this project turns out to be a prototype or a fully realised product written in Monkey remains to be seen but I still love Monkey dearly. :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2014) [#30]
Points/Lines offset by +.5 in screenspace for android, ios, winrt, glfw and xna targets. Html5/Flash seem to be OK as-is; PSM still on hold until I get my Vita back...
Ah great thanks! I've been using my own modified functions to draw rects for ages now. It'll be good to stop doing that.