Can't find targets after upgrading to Monkey Pro

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Can't find targets after upgrading to Monkey Pro

sjohne(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi everyone!

I was developing a new game with the Monkey demo. I am developing on Windows 7. Today I decided that it was time to test my game on an iPhone so I bought the full version (Pro77f). But I am encountering two problems:

1) Where are all the targets? When I click on the target drop down next to the "kill" button I only get:

Desktop Game
Html5 Game
Windows 8 Game
Windows Phone 8 Game
Xna Game

Where do I find the targets for iOS and Android? I want to test my application on an iPhone 3GS. Do I have to compile iOS/Android targets from their respective platforms? How can I compile my game for the iPhone from my Windows 7 desktop?

2) Trying to compile my game for the "Desktop Game" target (which was the one I always used in the demo) I get the following error:

"C:/MonkeyXPro77f/bin/transcc_winnt" -target=Desktop_Game -config=Debug "C:/MonkeyXPro77f/MyMonkey/Backdoor Exit/BackdoorExit.monkey"
TRANS monkey compiler V1.64
Parsing...
Semanting...
Translating...
Building...
Microsoft (R) Build Engine Version 4.0.30319.1
[Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 4.0.30319.1022]
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2007. All rights reserved.

Build started 08.05.2014 16:11:47.
Project "C:\MonkeyXPro77f\MyMonkey\Backdoor Exit\BackdoorExit.buildv77f\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.sln" on node 1 (default targets).
ValidateSolutionConfiguration:
  Building solution configuration "Debug|Win32".
Project "C:\MonkeyXPro77f\MyMonkey\Backdoor Exit\BackdoorExit.buildv77f\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.sln" (1) is building "C:\MonkeyXPro77f\MyMonkey\Backdoor Exit\BackdoorExit.buildv77f\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.vcxproj" (2) on node 1 (default targets).
C:\MonkeyXPro77f\MyMonkey\Backdoor Exit\BackdoorExit.buildv77f\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.vcxproj(18,3): error MSB4019: The imported project "C:\Microsoft.Cpp.Default.props" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.
Done Building Project "C:\MonkeyXPro77f\MyMonkey\Backdoor Exit\BackdoorExit.buildv77f\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.vcxproj" (default targets) -- FAILED.
Done Building Project "C:\MonkeyXPro77f\MyMonkey\Backdoor Exit\BackdoorExit.buildv77f\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.sln" (default targets) -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

"C:\MonkeyXPro77f\MyMonkey\Backdoor Exit\BackdoorExit.buildv77f\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.sln" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\MonkeyXPro77f\MyMonkey\Backdoor Exit\BackdoorExit.buildv77f\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.vcxproj" (default target) (2) ->
  C:\MonkeyXPro77f\MyMonkey\Backdoor Exit\BackdoorExit.buildv77f\glfw\vc2010\MonkeyGame.vcxproj(18,3): error MSB4019: The imported project "C:\Microsoft.Cpp.Default.props" was not found. Confirm that the path in the <Import> declaration is correct, and that the file exists on disk.

0 Warning(s)
    1 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.05
TRANS FAILED: Error executing 'C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\MSBuild.exe /p:Configuration=Debug /p:Platform=Win32 MonkeyGame.sln', return code=1
Done.

I tried to delete my build folder which didn't help. Since the error says something about path not found I also tried to create a new project file and copy only the contents of the data folder but I get the same error. I didn't change any code from before the upgrade and the game builds and runs fine in the Html 5 target.

What happened, what did I break?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :-(.

Thanks,
Stefan

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#2]
Hello and welcome!

First of all, to get Desktop target, the quickest way is to copy the MINGW folder of the demo into c:/MINGW This way, the c++ compiler will be reachable by Trans (the monkey compiler). If you don't, Monkey will try to use the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler, which may not be installed, that's why you're seeing a weird compiler error.

Then, to set up each target, you should read the documentation. It's not as fast as it should be, but it's not very complicated. I suggest you to install targets one by one.

Here you can see the details to install each one of the targets.

EDIT: I meant here: http://www.monkey-x.com/docs/html/Target%20SDKs.html

EDIT2: The DEMO worked becouse it includes MINGW into the Monkey demo folder. I suggest you to install it into c:/MINGW becouse Trans (the monkey compiler) will automatically look for the compiler there if it's not in the Monkey folder. It's nicer to have it outside the monkey folder unless you want to keep copying this folder everytime Monkey gets an update.

sjohne(Posted 2014) [#3]
First of all, to get Desktop target, the quickest way is to copy the MINGW folder of the demo into c:/MINGW This way, the c++ compiler will be reachable by Trans (the monkey compiler)

Thanks that worked very well!

Oh crap I really thought Monkey would support all targets "out of the box". I have to admit that I have no previous experience with any Apple products. I just checked the document page on installing the iOS target.

Is there a way to install the iOS SDK and xcode on a Windows system? I've read that I could set up a VM with iOS running inside my Windows machine but I would have to either buy a copy of Apples operating system or pirate it?

Could I alternatively install Monkey on the iPhone 3GS and it should give me the option to build for xcode "out of the box"?

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#4]
Oh crap I really thought Monkey would support all targets "out of the box". I have to admit that I have no previous experience with any Apple products. I just checked the document page on installing the iOS target.
I'm working on a system to automate the install of every SDK. Will be out in some weeks. Meanwhile, you'll have to do it as stated in the docs, but don't hesitate to ask for assistance here should you need it.
Is there a way to install the iOS SDK and xcode on a Windows system? I've read that I could set up a VM with iOS running inside my Windows machine but I would have to either buy a copy of Apples operating system or pirate it?

Well, Apple forbids the iOS development outside an actual hardware Mac computer running Mac Os, so it can't be done. You'll need a Mac. You can set up a VM with iOS running, but you can't develop iOS apps into an iOS device, you should do it by installing Mac Os, into a VM, but this is not legal in most countries due to Apple licensing therms. Also, pirating it is also forbiden.

In short, if you want to develop for iOS, you'll have to get an Apple machine. Lots of indie developers get a cheap second hand mac mini just for iOS compilation. It sucks, but it's the way it is!

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#5]
Or you just use something like VMWare and install Mac OS there. ;)

gpetersz(Posted 2015) [#6]
Hello,

Ziggy wrote: "I'm working on a system to automate the install of every SDK. Will be out in some weeks"

Am I right that it is still not included into Monkey-X Pro (I bought it yesterday, and stumbled upon the same problem). A short pre-condition list would be nice and helpful (before buying). I am a big boy, 43 developing software since age 10, but I also expected out-of-the-box product.

This post is not for complaining (even if it sounds like a big fat complain), but the aim is to pop up a question.
I also don't have any or enough experience with many of the targets.

Is there a list of prerequisites for each of the possible targets (and preferably development prerequisites, environment requirements)?

Thank you in advance (and Monkey seems a great product, that's why I've chosen to use it for multi-platform development).

Kind Regards,
Gabor

ziggy(Posted 2015) [#7]
@gpetersz: Yes, the automated SDL system is available in Jungle Ide (the free version includes it too). All in all, the only real prerequisite I can think of is you'll need an Apple computer running Mac Os to compile for iOS, and an android device to properly test your Android games.

MonkeyPlotter(Posted 2015) [#8]
This is an interesting thread, I've fired up my Monkey and quickly delved in to the forums for a little support - am I correct in assuming that the Jungle IDE (even in Demo mode) will do additional configuration things such as put MINGW into C:\MINGW, if not then I'll do it myself.

TheRedFox(Posted 2015) [#9]
Ziggy, I wanted to know how I can get JungleIDE to use the MSVC compiler to be used by Jungle (Desktop target).
MinGW linking times are huge, that's a pain.

I compared it to MSVC and it is better.

Also did a test on my old MBP with XCode, and it happens to be the fastest of the gang, despite being a Core2Duo 2.53Ghz vs an i7 4770K 3.85 Ghz.

Anyone having a trick or two to get a faster compile time on Windows?

ziggy(Posted 2015) [#10]
@MonkeyPlotter: You're right, it will do it for you

rIKmAN(Posted 2015) [#11]
I can confirm that Yosemite in a VM and El Capitan on a Hackintosh work perfectly for compiling with xCode and submitting apps to the App Store.
My friend told me. Honest!

Also you can use BlueStacks to test on Android if you don't own a device.

These are good solutions to use during development, and you could then buy the relevant hardware before you compile/publish should you so wish.

gpetersz(Posted 2016) [#12]
Thanks Ziggy! Sorry for the late reply. :-)