Ignition X is coming...

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Ignition X is coming...

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi guys,

We have been working very hard and a BIG update is coming very soon from Playniax. Experience leads to new insights so we have reworked the framework from top to bottom! Most important new features are a ready to use basic game GUI, box2d support and sold separately, a R.U.B.E. importer! We are also updating our website, setting up a forum and member area where you can register your product and download updates.Future plans and already in development include desktop style GUI components for creating tools and apps, advanced A.I module, isometric engine, games and more…

We have big plans to keep releasing updates and modules. To help in our maintenance of the core engine and maintain a steady flow of add on modules we have recruited another developer to the team.Stuart Tresadern (TREZ on the forums) brings years of development experience to the team with core development skills in C, C++.C#, Mono and JavaScript and of course Monkey X.

More information about the details will follow soon!

In the meantime enjoy this little Ignition X + box2d + R.U.B.E. demo teaser!

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#2]
Existing users will get the update(minus the RUBE?)

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#3]
Yes...

paulscottrobson(Posted 2014) [#4]
Playniax, your engine looks very good but as you are aiming at developers would some sample code be a good idea ? Or is it me and I haven't seen it anywhere :)

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#5]
http://docs.playniax.com/html/Ignition.html

paulscottrobson(Posted 2014) [#6]
Cheers :)

paulscottrobson(Posted 2014) [#7]
Very impressive piece of software that :)

Looks pretty well engineered to, which was the thing that bothered me. Would it be an idea to put a link to the demo source on the 'advertising' page ? The demos always were impressive. Did have one question, can your font converter tool deal with the .fnt format (like bmGlyph produces ?)

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#8]
Thank you.

> Would it be an idea to put a link to the demo source on the 'advertising' page ?

The new website (when online) should be more clear in this area.

> Did have one question, can your font converter tool deal with the .fnt format (like bmGlyph produces ?)

No but Ignition can handle basic operations of fontmachine fonts so maybe there is a solution for you?

Raul(Posted 2014) [#9]
Good update. This will make me buy the framework. Congrats!

Ulric Boel(Posted 2014) [#10]
Great! I just bought the module! ;-)

Even if Monkey stays a bit on hold, it's good to see Ignition will continue to evolve!

Cheers

Ulric

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#11]
Yes, that's awesome news!

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#12]
Thank you guys!

Monkey is a very powerful language and I think Mark should concentrate on making it the number one 2D language.

We will do our best to provide the extra functionality!

Here is another demo showing of pixel perfect collision.

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#13]
I spotted the RUBE and new Ignition news on another forum a while ago, looks great!

Looking forward to giving it a try, keep up the good work! :)

boomboom(Posted 2014) [#14]
A great addition would be to have an input library to detect swipes, pinches, double taps, swipes from the sides...etc and an importer for Tiled and Spine inbuilt. Possible? Call it version 3?

And a network engine......Version 4 :)

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#15]
More information about the details will follow soon!

Impatiently waiting for more details... :D
>> Existing users will get the update(minus the RUBE?)
Yes...

Does it mean if I buy now, the update to the new version will be free?
It is just the R.U.B.E. add-on that I need to order separately then,
and it is sold as a separate add-on anyway?
I am not sure if it is better to wait or if I should order immediately.

BTW, your 'Ignition for Monkey' demo 'Galaxy Protector' is not
available in german (or international?) app store. Wanted to try with iPad mini and Android, but it says not available.
Maybe you like to change this, so it becomes available in all stores.

Trez(Posted 2014) [#16]
@rIKmAN the very early examples of the RUBE importer for ignition you referred to moved. You can still view the HTML5 demos here http://blog.trezsoft.de/?p=30 but a lot more integration work has been done since :).

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#17]
@Danilo

Does it mean if I buy now, the update to the new version will be free?

Yes, the update to IgnitionX will be free for existing users.

The R.U.B.E. importer will be our first add-on product that you have to buy separately even if you already own a license of Ignition.

Not everybod will need the R.U.B.E. importer so we will split this and future add-ons in separate products.

Galaxy Protector is something we did for a 3rd party, I will contact them about this.

skape(Posted 2014) [#18]
Sounds great! Looking forward to hearing more. :)

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#19]
Yes, the update to IgnitionX will be free for existing users.

Thanks, got Ignition for Monkey now. :)
The R.U.B.E. importer will be our first add-on product that you have to buy separately even if you already own a license of Ignition.

Got also RUBE, so do you have an ETA for the RUBE add-on? :D

Many thanks for this cool stuff, comes at the right time.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#20]
Thanks! We are going for somewhere next week for Ignition X and about 1 week later the R.U.B.E. importer if there are no surprises. Still a lot to do!

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#21]
Sounds good, thanks. :)

tiresius(Posted 2014) [#22]
I'll be giving this a real hard look when it comes out. The new features may just be enough for me to pull the trigger. Looking forward to seeing more demos and a complete feature list.

Raul(Posted 2014) [#23]
just bought it Playniax. I hope this will be good enough for my future needs.
I am still waiting for some proper tutorials/documentation..

Raul(Posted 2014) [#24]
first issue:
after installing your modules and making the docs here it is how my TED is looking on MacOS:

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#25]
Hi,

It seems that you have copied the Ignition help files non additive to your TED docs folder causing all existing files to be removed.
I don’t use the Mac that often and copying folders works completely different.
You can restore the docs folder by copying the original back but for your convenience I have send them to you by email.

Cheers

Raul(Posted 2014) [#26]
Yes, that was the problem. Solved now!

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#27]
Angry GUI :)

Here is another demo showing off more box2D stuff with Ignition.

uboel_at_work(Posted 2014) [#28]
A box2D based GUI interface...Playniax...you're completely mad! ;-)
I really like your product!!!

Cheers

AndroidAndy(Posted 2014) [#29]
Bring it on Tony! We might just have to add a new definition to Mashup! The little demos are great inspiration would love to see more.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#30]
Ever needed to have rotated buttons or checkbox?

abakobo(Posted 2014) [#31]
@playniak

do you have any idea when it will be released (especialy the r.u.b.e. importer)? weeks or months?

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#32]
Weeks...

skape(Posted 2014) [#33]
Okay... that GUI demo is... hilariously awesome. Nice.

Raul(Posted 2014) [#34]
@Playniax:
When u said weeks you talked about RUBE or the new Ignition? I am interested only in the Ignition version.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#35]
Ignition X should be released (beta) in about a week and the R.U.B.E.stuff about 1 week later.

Raul(Posted 2014) [#36]
I see. Good to hear that.

One more question. You said in the 1st post about: isometric engine. Any release date for this particular feature?

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#37]
No date yet for the isometric engine.

We will publish a roadmap soon after the release of Ignition X and the R.U.B.E. importer...

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#38]
Hi,

Just letting you guys know we have a beta of our new member area up: http://www.ignitionxlive.com

This portal is going to be the new place where you can registrate your products, download updates and even use a dedicated forum for Playniax related products.

If you already purchased Igntion then this is the place to be.

Registration on the portal is free.

Once you have created an account you can use your product registration code recieved on purchase to register your product.

You can also create an account at the forum.

This must be done separatly!

Now a beta of Ignition X is coming somewhere in the next couple of days.

At the moment I am doing some bug hunting and finishing the docs to get you going.

Cheers!

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#39]
Nice!

Tibit(Posted 2014) [#40]
Have registered, looking forward to take a look at Ignition X. And nice with the physics :)

You talked about Ignition X being a total makeover, does this mean you changed the API a lot? Do you have a link to the docs online?

Raul(Posted 2014) [#41]
Hey,

Just created my accound: ravl, but after email confirmation I receive:
Invalid username or password.

Trez(Posted 2014) [#42]
@Raul , I have sent you an email about your login issue.

@Tibit , Lots of changes have been made to the API but only a few areas will effect existing games built with Ignition. We have tried our best to make the transition as easy as possible but in some areas things needed to change. The beta documentation will be released with Ignition X in a couple of days we still have a few new areas to finish off.

garyk1968(Posted 2014) [#43]
Cool all registered and logged in, products showing.

Cant wait to see IgnitionX!

Cheers

Gary

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#44]
Registered on both. New site is nice!

vmakar85(Posted 2014) [#45]
Registered on both. wow ppc demo is cool!!!!!!!

uboel_at_work(Posted 2014) [#46]
Hi,

Account created on both new site and forum, Ignition serial registered...eagerly waiting for the IgnitionX beta! ;-)

Cheers,

Tibit(Posted 2014) [#47]
Btw I'm happy about API changes - a better API is probably way more valuable in the long term than the small time it takes to change a few calls :)

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#48]
Reigistered, looking forward to the new Ignition :)

Raul(Posted 2014) [#49]
Are we there yet? :D

skape(Posted 2014) [#50]
Very cool. Signed up and registered products. All is well! Looking forward to the Ignition X beta! :)

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#51]
http://forum.ignitionxlive.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=242

uboel_at_work(Posted 2014) [#52]
Great!
Many thanks for this beta version.
I'm a new Ignition user so this new version will be my real jump start into the engine!

Let's deep dive into the documentation...

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#53]
@uboel_at_work:

Great!

Best way is to go through the samples and read the Programming guide.

If you have 'how to' questions, ask them on our forum. We use this to build better documentation.

uboel_at_work(Posted 2014) [#54]
OK. I'll try to contribute as much as I can to this new forum !

Cheers

Volker(Posted 2014) [#55]
Congrats, great to see you got all the stuff working!

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#56]
I thought the spiral game was too difficult so I made it more easy ;)

tiresius(Posted 2014) [#57]
I'm in! As a former user of Newton Game Dynamics looking forward to exploring Box2D.

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#58]
I like the spiral demo.

For any new Ignition users, I have worked with Tony in the past on specific game templates. If you need help he is good to work for on a for hire basis.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#59]
Ignition showing off GUI skinning.

therevills(Posted 2014) [#60]
Looks good - but there seems to be a slight bug in the GUI skinning demo, you "knobs" moves right if you just mouse down over them and not move the mouse...

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#61]
I can't seem to reproduce the bug :(

What browser and os are you using?

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#62]
I have been playing around with screen shakes and I added the iScreenShake class to IgnitionX and to the boulderdash demo.

It will show when the bombs explode! :)

therevills(Posted 2014) [#63]
What browser and os are you using?

Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 8.1.

It doesn't happen on Chrome, nor Firefox.

Trez(Posted 2014) [#64]
Hi therevills thank for the feedback, i just did a quick check on windows 8.1 and IE11 but still could not reproduce the bug with mouse over but i could reproduce the
bug when using touch !. I'll dig a little deeper later to see whats going on.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#65]
It's failry easy to integrate third party modules with the engine.

To illustrate we use TimelineFX and we add it's render and update code to a layer.

http://forum.ignitionxlive.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=252

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#66]
@Trez:It's not an ignition bug, but an internet explorer bug. It reports the location of latest "touch" event instead of the location of the current touch event. It's like its coordinates are always one "touch" later. It does not reproduce on Mouse events, and it does only happens on IE. I honestly think it's a bug in the browser. I've seen it before in IE

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#67]
@Ziggy: Yeah, we suspected already something like this.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#68]
Ignition X beta v1.02 up!

http://forum.ignitionxlive.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=253

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#69]
GUI components are fully skinnable.

Entire themes can be loaded from a skin file.

Create a skin text file once and use them for your games or prototypes.

vmakar85(Posted 2014) [#70]
wow, i will wait release!!!

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#71]
Ignition X beta v1.03 up!

http://forum.ignitionxlive.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=271

And our website got a little update!

http://www.playniax.com

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#72]
Ignition X beta v1.04 up!

http://forum.ignitionxlive.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=279

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#73]
New tutorial about the Ignition X generic particle system (demos included):

http://docs.playniax.com/html/Ignition_Ignition%20tutorials.data_The%20generic%20particle%20system.html

(not TimelineFX)

Another particle demo: http://playniax.com/showcase/1942/demo.html

Volker(Posted 2014) [#74]
Tony, is a specific version of Monkey needed for ignitionx?
I get a "Cannot convert from Bool to String." in tiles.monkey in iTileMap.Render
if compiling boulderdash.monkey.

Using V74a, latest ignitionx beta.

Do I need to register again for the forum? My username and password for http://www.playniax.com/ignition.html
does not work for the forums.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#75]
Yes, you must upgrade or change this line into this:

#If IGNITION_TILES_ADVANCED_RENDER="False"

For http://www.ignitionxlive.com/ and http://forum.ignitionxlive.com/ you need two different accounts.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#76]
Made with Ignition: http://playniax.com/showcase/gp/demo.html

Pharmhaus(Posted 2014) [#77]
I really *love* the dynamic loading you did there.
I haven't visited your site for a long time so I'm happy that the cruel login app is now gone.
The new Website design looks good too!
Time to download a newer version next...

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#78]
Just want to report a dead link: http://www.download.playniax.com/windows/monkey/ignitionv1.0.zip
on the page: http://www.playniax.com/download.html

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#79]
@Xaron: Thank you! (Those links should not be there at all)

New Igntion X keyboard gui demo: http://playniax.com/showcase/keyswipe/demo.html

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#80]
Ignition X beta v1.05 up!

http://forum.ignitionxlive.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=298

skape(Posted 2014) [#81]
That Galaxy Protector showcase runs smooth as butter. :)

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#82]
Galaxy Protector showcase was awesome... Fantastic graphics -- great music an obviously some incredible coding that went on here.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#83]
Ignition X beta v1.06 is now up!

Just fixed the iLoader array problem and hopefully iTimer showing up in Jungle IDE (intellisense)

navyRod(Posted 2014) [#84]
Let the demo auto play all the way to the end -- something like 30 levels.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#85]
Ignition X beta v1.07 is now up!

http://forum.ignitionxlive.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=305

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#86]
I know there is an update to the tilemap stuff in the works (how is this going btw?), but in the meantime has there been any fixes to the existing support to allow multiple tilesets etc?

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#87]
The tiled loader should support multiple tilesets.

Can you send me a test project that replicates the problem?

The expanded tile engine will be the next big thing.

We are currently preparing / discussing how to make it.

We have the xml parser/base64 and I am experimenting with some stuff but I am sorry to say that I don't have a time estimate on it yet.

When Ignition X is released (now still beta) we will post a roadmap soon after!

Volker(Posted 2014) [#88]
The tiled loader should support multiple tilesets.

I personally find the tiled loader pretty worthless as long as it support no object layers.
How shall I place things like pickups, level start, level end?
Thats why I'm still stucked with Diddy.

Neuro(Posted 2014) [#89]
Yah i would like to see more updates with the tilemap stuff for Ignition.

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#90]
I personally find the tiled loader pretty worthless as long as it support no object layers.
How shall I place things like pickups, level start, level end?
Thats why I'm still stucked with Diddy.

I didn't realise it still didn't support object layers, hmm.
Can you not use a normal layer and treat it as an object layer?

I never got further than it crashing when I tried to load in a second tileset within the same map - but it sounds like that has been fixed since I last tried it.

It's all great having all the bells and whistles with particles, box2d, layers, rotation etc, but unless you are having a single screen game tilemaps are the bread and butter for any 2d engine/framework, especially on mobiles.

Maybe I should check out the Diddy tilemap stuff.

Volker(Posted 2014) [#91]
Can you not use a normal layer and treat it as an object layer?

You can't place objects on other than object layers in Tiled.I found no way to work around it.
RUBE looks pretty good for physics and placing stuff, as long as custom body properties are supported, but misses tilemap support.

Trez(Posted 2014) [#92]
@riKmAN @Volker

The ignitionX tiled importer currently available does not support objectgroups ( object layers) the version in the works currently has support for all layer and object types. If you need full tiled support now then i would recommend the Diddy tiled importer this can be easy used inside IgnitionX.

RUBE can be used as both a physics tool and a placement tool and yes every object type supports custom properties not just the bodies, so you can set custom properties on images or the base world for example. If you don't need a tile system this is a great alternative to game level layout with or without physics.

rIKmAN(Posted 2014) [#93]
If you need full tiled support now then i would recommend the Diddy tiled importer this can be easy used inside IgnitionX.

So you can use a Diddy tilemap with all the features of the Ignition engine?
I thought they all had to be tied together with iPlayfields, iLayers, iSprites, iBox2D etc to be able to be used together?

Could you show a small example of using a Diddy tilemap with the other Ignition features, or have I misunderstood?

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#94]
Hi,

It appears to be a common misconception that using 1 framework automatically excludes anotother.

In a lot of cases they can compliment eachother.

The only thing I would look out for is to much dependencies when importing a 3rd party module.

The Ignition engine is designed in a way that you can easily call 3rd party update and render routines and still make use of the Ignition X engine parts.

In this case (Diddy tilemap) best practice would be using an Ignition layer and use it's OnUpdate() and OnRender() methods in the same way as you are used to in monkey app.

Using layers for this has the benefit that all renders from this can benefit from the Ignition playfields virtual resolutions, camera movement, zooming, rotations, etc.

Something like this:
Class Layer Extends iLayer

Method OnUpdate()
		[CALL 3RD PARTY STUFF FROM HERE]
	End Method

' Render stuff behind layer objects:
	Method OnRender()
	End Method

' Render stuff over layer objects:
	Method OnTopRender()
	End Method

End Class

I will start creating a practical example tommorow.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#95]
Here is the example using an Ignition X layer and Diddy tile rendering.

http://forum.ignitionxlive.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=327

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#96]
Ignition X beta v1.08 is now up!

http://forum.ignitionxlive.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=334

I advice everybody to upgrade to this version!

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#97]
Update!

The new tile engine including full tiled support is nearly finished.

We will do our best to release it somewhere this week / coming weekend.

In the meantime enjoy this little demo we put together: http://playniax.com/showcase/tank/demo.html

skape(Posted 2014) [#98]
Hi Playniax,
Any word on the status of the tweening module? Will it be released at the same time as the upcoming update? Thanks! :)

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#99]
The tweening module is 99% ready and needs more testing, documentation and samples.

We will start working on this after the latest release (probably this weekend) of Ignition X.

So it will not be released at the same time but soon after...

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#100]
Ignition X beta v1.09 is now up!

http://forum.ignitionxlive.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=384

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#101]
Great, the Tiled support is a must!

skape(Posted 2014) [#102]
Sounds like a fantastic update! Thanks Tony / Playniax! :)

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#103]
Here is a little sample (including Ignition X code) on how to make a tiny tile editor: http://playniax.com/showcase/tinytileed/demo.html

Neuro(Posted 2014) [#104]
Got my attention again, nice!

grovey(Posted 2014) [#105]
Purchased.

I really hope this framework will help me out.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#106]
@grovey

Thank you!

Just leave a question on our forum if you need any help!

grovey(Posted 2014) [#107]
Will do thank you! Just going through all the examples :)

Pierrou(Posted 2014) [#108]
I really hope this framework will help me out.
It probably will. For myself, I only use a few parts of the framework, but using these saves me a lot of time and prevents some headaches. Thanks to Ignition X, adding a fully working temporary GUI to my current project for testing purpose just took a few minutes. Even though it wouldn't be too difficult to write my own GUI system I'm glad I don't have to spend too much time on it right now as I'm aiming at something else. There are a lot of classes, methods, functions and so on available but it's quite easy to find a way and just pick what you need.

And the support is great. Questions get answered quickly and cleverly, often with example code and so on. Ignition X also evolves quickly : I remember needing some particular method or something added to a Class and Playniax just did it within a few hours.

grovey(Posted 2014) [#109]
Excellent, I too may only use a certain set of features, including the GUI as you mentioned, and looking at it as being a time saver and simplified tool set..

jayparker(Posted 2014) [#110]
Purchased!
Going thru examples and looks very easy to use, but one question? Is there any box2d examples available somewhere?

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#111]
Yes after you have installed the docs you can find them by clicking on the Ignition X documentation / Programming guide / Box2d and Ignition X (Tutorials)

Or have a look at the online version:

http://docs.playniax.com/html/Ignition_Ignition%20tutorials.data_Box2d%20and%20Ignition%20X.html

You can see source code examples and run demos.

Or the RUBE importer tutorial:

http://docs.playniax.com/html/Ignition_Ignition%20tutorials.data_R.U.B.E.%20importer%20for%20Ignition%20X.html

grovey(Posted 2014) [#112]
I did try some of the Box2D examples, really cool, I am really liking this engine, there are several components I will be using for sure.

I did notice the documentation needs to be updated on some examples, for example, the engine import seems to be incorrect, and would not compile until I changed that. I was also having issues with another example not allowing touch commands which I copied and pasted from the documentation, but I think I may have worked around that, can't recall right now.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#113]
@grovey: Can you tell me where you found outdated examples in the docs? I will try to fix them.

I have uploaded a new version of the Ignition X docs: http://docs.playniax.com/html/Ignition.html

New section is the 'quick reference guide' http://docs.playniax.com/html/Ignition_Ignition%20quick%20reference%20guide.html

It's a W.I.P. but I will update it regulairy!

grovey(Posted 2014) [#114]
Sure, well this could be my problem but for example here

http://docs.playniax.com/html/Ignition_Ignition%20tutorials.data_Getting%20started%20with%20the%20engine.html

I have to to change the following in order for examples to work.

Import playniax.ignition.framework.engine

to

Import playniax.ignitionx.engine

Also, the Multiple Scenes example does not work for me, as iTouchHit is not recognized.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#115]
Good find! I missed that one.

I will fix this.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#116]
I have added an image blur function to iFilters.

You can do pretty nice things with this, for example blur the screen when your game pauses.

This demo blurs the screen and converts it to black and white (also an iFilters function) : http://playniax.com/showcase/boulderdash/demo.html

It looks like I have cleared 'all' the bugs out so I guess Ignition X is ready for release now :)

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#117]
Ignition X is now here!!!

http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=8981#94143