Can I change where my Build folder goes?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Can I change where my Build folder goes?

benmc(Posted 2014) [#1]
Right now, it goes in the same folder where I have my data folder, but I would actually like it if my projects were built into a sub-folder completely outside where I have the working files for my projects - mostly because it would make my backup process a little easier. I guess I could create a BAT file or something to get around this, but it would still be cool to be able to specify where builds go.

ImmutableOctet(SKNG)(Posted 2014) [#2]
Assuming you're on Windows, you may just want to install 'Link Shell Extension' so you can just sym-link the folder over from another drive. With Monkey's new build system of making new folders every version, this isn't all that convenient though. If it's backups you want, there are plenty of solutions out there, I'm pretty sure Windows even has this functionality, especially in Windows 8 when they messed with how Shadow Copy is handled. You could also use git, and just sym-link your ".git" folder from another drive.

To sym-link a file, just drag with right-click to another folder, and click "Create Symbolic Link Here". If that doesn't pop up, look for "Drop Here..." and left click on "Symbolic Link".

For more information about sym-links, click here.

I'm with you though, it would be nice to have this as a feature in Monkey, but I guess it's not that big of a deal.

EDIT: There's also backing up with DropBox, but it tends to hate sym-links.

benmc(Posted 2014) [#3]
I was using GitHub too, but got tired of having to create Excludes of build folders.

I do use DropBox, but I'd like to just drag the code/data folder over, but instead I have to delete the build, then drag.

I guess it's really a minor deal, but this is game dev - so it's all about the polish right? :)