Control Idea

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Control Idea

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#1]
What do people think of the idea of dividing the entire screen into a small number of large buttons?

I'm trying this out. The huge sticking point I've had with most games on the ipad/phone is the fact that the buttons are too tiny. This is especially true on the phone.

I have three buttons, jump, left and right. I'm going to divide the screen into upper and lower halves, designate the top half as jump, then subdivide the bottom half into left and right.

This also rather handily avoids the problem of resolution-independence for buttons.

Any pitfalls anyone can see?

ElectricBoogaloo(Posted 2014) [#2]
I've done this on a large number of my games. In general, whenever I have an onscreen button, I tend to make it's contact area as large as I possibly can.
In Sheep Goes Left, the contact area of the two buttons (on the bottom corners of the screen) is actually the entire 1/4 of the screen!
Sometimes it doesn't work as well, and if you have two buttons too close, you need to switch to smaller areas, and things get messy when on a smaller device, but for the most part, if you're keeping things as minimal as you can, you'll generally get away with it.

In the end, the most important thing is to try it out on the actual device. Prodding about with a mouse/touchpad will only teach you so much, and something actually trying it will surprise you as to how badly your new control scheme actually works in your hands! I've had that happen an alarming number of times!!
Try out lots of variations, and never be afraid to have to redo your entire control scheme if need be. Don't force controls, and you'll be fine.

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#3]
Seems to work pretty well. My hands are big but I play a lot of guitar and I have tons of finger dexterity but still those buttons are just fun killers on a lot of games.

One thing I did notice is that if the mouse is out of bounds of the window, Monkey still registers a touch in that region...

Markus(Posted 2014) [#4]
for awhile i test a game it used the whole screen depending on where you hold first the finger down.
from there you can move all directions. a second finger means push a button.
also nice was a rpg, left 50% was joypad , right 50% was cursorpad for menĂ¼ navigation.