Incredibly affordable VPServer hosting...

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Incredibly affordable VPServer hosting...

Skn3(Posted 2014) [#1]
A friend of myn helped me out and pointed me in the direction of this server provider:

https://www.digitalocean.com
( includes referral code in link ;)... )

I currently have debian running on my own private "box" with nodejs+mysql installed. I am using it to tinker with an app server. It is ideal for starting up monkey app projects that require a central server!

Just thought Id pass on the helpful tip!

Skn3(Posted 2014) [#2]
Oh and further to that I just got a support response back from them (within 30 minutes) and this is how it works...

I asked:
Hey I am a new customer and I just noticed that under billing it shows that I owe for hours used.

But I selected a monthly package..?

Does this get capped when it goes beyond the cost of my monthly package?

They responded:
Hello,

Thanks so much for the question, here is how our billing works:

At the end of each calendar month, we calculate the cost of your server based on the size of your droplet. All droplets are billed at an hourly rate up to a maximum monthly cap, which we have set at 672 hours (28 days).

Therefore, if you use the server for less than the monthly cap, you will be billed for each hour that you used it. However, if you use your server for more than 672 hours during that month, you will be billed at the monthly cost, which will be no greater than the cost of 672 hours.

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Thanks,
DigitalOcean Support

So that's pure amazing right there!

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#3]
Seems to be very affordable indeed, thanks for the link.

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#4]
It's too good to be true... !!! ??? If you contract them, let us know how it goes

Skn3(Posted 2014) [#5]
Well I have a "droplet" with them running and everything is stable and have had no issues at all. I have been able to install whatever I like, no problems. My friend also said they have been incredibly reliable/stable and he has been with them a while.

So if your looking for a provider, Id say they are quite a good bet.

chimaera(Posted 2014) [#6]
Skn3, you still happy with their service? I have a tiny raspberry pi running my backend on a 100 MB line but I am looking to try out a good cheap VPS provider.

Skn3(Posted 2014) [#7]
Very pleased. I have not heavily used it or anything but what I have done has been one the smoothest experiences I have had re: hosting.

Raz(Posted 2014) [#8]
I've been using them for about a year and would seriously recommend them. I manage my DNS settings through them too.

I use it for web hosting, BT sync, backup PC and as a git server.

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#9]
What about Linode? Any experiences?

As far as I get it you can install a linux system on it, right? How is that done? Can you choose between different images?

Skn3(Posted 2014) [#10]
Yup, you select which which distro via a drop down, click the button and then 1 minute later you are ready to login!

Amon(Posted 2014) [#11]
server4you.net
server4you.com

I have been with them for 4 years and can recommend no other. Fantastic service, uptime, support but best of all price.