$200 for html5 games.

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/$200 for html5 games.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]
https://www.fgl.com/other/html5opportunities/

If some one could wrap that, I think the community would be appreciative..

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#2]
We only have 1 problem: it's *mobile* html5. If someone can get music/sounds working on html5 mobile...

Edit: before someone mention it, that 'howler.js' isn't the solution.
Apple blocked mobile safari from playing music/sounds unless there is user interaction going on (meaning: you can only play music if the user press a button) - and howler.js can't solve this.

I would love to see a solution that can get past that... but the only thing I heard (a long time ago) was to use a hidden flash file, just to play sounds, which is a ugly, ugly hack :P

Soap(Posted 2014) [#3]
Most "mobile" html5 games have no audio. It is common for them to be silent. Also in part by design in some cases so that they are more discreet even many web games which are popular have no audio by design so it's not always desirable, not always a bad thing to be silent depending on goals.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#4]
Sounds like making a virtue of necessity. It's not like it's hard to add a 'sound off' button if the sound actually works...

SLotman(Posted 2014) [#5]
All html5 games I've played had sound - but I only played them on desktop browsers. A silent game is something really strange in my opinion... (unless its done on purpose - but 99% of games gave some sound here or there, at least to indicate the player achieved something)

Again: I would love to participate on that - and doing javascript integration should be pretty straightforward... but no point in doing so, if you cant play music or sounds.

Soap(Posted 2014) [#6]
The key is "mobile" html5 games. Games meant to be played on mobile devices. There are a ton of web games alone which market on being soundless because it's more discreet for work.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#7]
It would be reasonable to market on the basis that the sounds are unnecessary for gameplay (this is probably the case for the majority of games on all platforms). It does not seem very reasonable to make a virtue of not having sounds at all, as distinct from having optional sounds.