Can anyone ID this Mac ?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Can anyone ID this Mac ?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]

Some one is selling it locally, a mother got it for her son but it was not suitable for what he wanted it for(i assume he wanted to play games), but what I am wondering is will it be capable of building monkey games with the latest xcode?

I will try and get specs but I get the impression the woman wont know :/

therevills(Posted 2014) [#2]
My guess is that it will have a PowerPC CPU, so it won't be any good for Monkey and be dead slow.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#3]
Ah damn.. oh well. thanks for the info.

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#4]
It's an imac G3 slot loader using a PowerPC 750 series CPU. Definitely no good for Monkey.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#5]
When you say no good, if I explained that all I would be wanting to do with it is compile code is it still usless ?, What I was thinking was write all my code on windows, and then only compile/build on the mac to release on the store assuming that it can send code direct to the device locally like I can with android its own hardware performance would be less of an issue yes ?

I think it's gone anyway some one else bought it, but I would still like to know in case the opportunity for another comes along.

Karja(Posted 2014) [#6]
No good as in useless even for compiling. It has a PPC architecture and not Intel, so the code it generated would be incompatible with any Macs sold after 2006. That is, even if it would be possible to get Monkey to compile on it (which it wouldn't since Monkey requires Xcode 5).

So, no good at all. I think a Mac Mini of some sort is the best option for a cheap build machine. Or, just as a hint, it IS possible to get Mac OS X running on VMWare or other virtualization solutions.

Volker(Posted 2014) [#7]
Paul, you may want to take a look ath this:
http://www.macincloud.com/

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#8]
@Karja ah thanks for the info mate , I know zip about macs lol as I am sure you can guess from this thread lol.

@Volker Yeah I have seen services like that but the cost is to much.

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#9]
Cheapest way to compile natively on a real mac in your own hands (instead of the cloud-based rental) would be to get a mac mini... If you want to get a lower price you can get a refurbished unit (which still get factory warranty) through the Apple store.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#10]
yeah still way more money than I have to spend sadly, one day perhaps.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2014) [#11]
man I hate having to pay the Mac tax! They say, gotta spend money to make money though. Time-sharing a mac on the cloud might be a reasonable option, provided you get the environment conducive to proper compilation and all that. Ask yourself if you're gonna get a good ROI before going ahead though. You have to pay a recurring dev fee to continue to be listed on apple's storefronts, in addition to needing a mac toolchain!

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#12]
Paul, I am sure there are people here willing to compile to mac for you. I have a mini but haven't ever set Monkey up on it. Honestly, it has really never been used. I bought it just to compile and never used it.