Mark can you add this to the IDE

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Mark can you add this to the IDE

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#1]
For the most part I tend to use a tool called ResHacker which lets us insert our own Icons into an exe after it's been built, and I know some of the target languages have their own IDE's which if you can build from there you can set your own icon, but I think it's something Monkey should really do out of the box without much messing around...

I have just found this package on github https://github.com/poidasmith/winrun4j which comes with a command line tool called RCEDIT.

With a single command as seen bellow I can easily quickly and hassle free add my ember icon to my windows exe.

C:\rcedit\RCEDIT.exe /I MonkeyGame.exe ember.ico

Providing there are no licencing issues I think you should consider bundling monkey with it and have it automatically set the icon where appropriate to a nice looking monkey logo as a default, or if the user adds say a config flag like #MONKEY_ICON="myicon.ico" then it would use that instead.

This Flag could also be used for the other targets, in regards to html5 and flash it could copy myicon.ico to the target build folder and rename it favicon.ico which browsers would then pick up and display in the address bar.

For android this flag could be looked at and then instead of the green thing it uses now It could use a nice default monkey icon, or what ever the user supplies like #ANDROID_HDPI="mycoolimage.png"

I actually think its something all other IDE developers should look at as well.

Anyway, thought this little tool was cool and thought I would share .

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#2]
While I am here, and just in case some of you do not know , you can edit the root or template html and images in the main monkey folder, then when you build or run monkey will use your altered html and images for your build folder.

Flash Html in Monkey\targets\flash\template
Html5 Html in Monkey\targets\html5\template
Android Icons in Monkey\targets\android\template\res\drawable-hdpi .... drawable-mdpi and drawable-ldpi

I think just about everyone probably knows that already but there it is anyway, just in case.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2014) [#3]
mingw comes with windres, which then can be included in the linking process.
this command line is suppose to work with glfw (untested):
echo GLFW_ICON ICON "myicon.ico" > winres.rc | c:\mingw32\bin\windres.exe winres.rc -o winres.o