timelinefx

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/timelinefx

dave.h(Posted 2013) [#1]
just noticed that his website has been updated with a new version of the editor which im just about to download as it looks like an export option for the monkey module has been added.Thought id just let you guys know

http://www.rigzsoft.co.uk/latest-version-of-timelinefx-released-and-whats-planned/

silentshark(Posted 2013) [#2]
Great news, thanks for posting this info. I bought TimelineFX a while back, and I've got to say it's fantastic. The fact that the author is doing stuff to make it even easier to use in Monkey is terrific.

(Used TimelineFX for the fab fire fx in our most recent game - Climb, Zombie! Climb!)

Raul(Posted 2013) [#3]
just purchased it for a blizmax project. I was happy to see we can use it in monkey too. fantastic work.

dave.h(Posted 2013) [#4]
got the demo working on all formats except flash.I think its something to do with spaces in filename but having a bit of trouble getting my own effect to work but looking at the demo it needs setting up a certain way so that monkey can use it.it says to read doc section on loadeffects.will try tomoz

ok sussed it now

bazmonkey(Posted 2013) [#5]
Some amazing looking effects there, seems like a really nice product.

What's the general performance like on mobile/web? Does it deal with retina etc?
Similar to Particle Designer, but I'm not sure that got 'official' monkey support.

peterigz(Posted 2013) [#6]
Yes it's available for Monkey now but I still consider it beta for the moment :)

Glad to hear it's working on all platforms (the example code at least). As for flash I did think I had covered renaming files so they're flash friendly when you export from the editor but maybe I missed something?

Raul(Posted 2013) [#7]
I have small performance on a random samsung tablet using the demo you provide. if I have 2 explosions I rally see a drop of fps..

dave.h(Posted 2013) [#8]
i see that too ive put it down to how complex the effect is.some effects run really smooth with lots of em but the more complicated ones can have an impact on framerate.Im testing it on quite an old android smartphone now its the experia x10.

peterigz(Posted 2013) [#9]
I'd imagine it will be the same story on mobile devices that it will always struggle with fillrate/overdraw however it's termed. It will be better to test with an effect where the particles are very small on mobile devices. I would like to properly profile the monkey version though as I haven't done that yet. Of course for the large complex effects that's where the export to sprite sheet comes in handy, especially for mobile games.

Volker(Posted 2013) [#10]
@dave Take a look in the editor of tfx which framerate an effect has. If it's very high, it won't run well on mobiles.
Play with the effect.SetAmount() parameter. Some effects will do well with a low float as 0.2.
Avoid effects which are using more than 1 image. My testing shows they are very slow, because for every particle
two or more texture bindings are needed.

muddy_shoes(Posted 2013) [#11]

I'd imagine it will be the same story on mobile devices that it will always struggle with fillrate/overdraw

I just gave the example a bit of a profile on my android phone and it didn't look like rendering was the major cost. Most of the time was spent in various bits of the updating code. It looked like draw commands were <20% of the time spent.

peterigz(Posted 2013) [#12]
That's quite promising then, there should be a few things I can do to speed things up on the update side hopefully.

Sammy(Posted 2013) [#13]
Is there a possibility of a 3D version at some point? My game uses miniB3D exclusively.

dave.h(Posted 2013) [#14]
has anyone tried to make there own effect and implement it yet.I must be doing something wrong i set the global life to 1 second and the emitter life to 1 but the effects stays alive for the whole 99 seconds it just keeps looping.I added another node to the emitter life after 1 second and took it down to zero.this worked in the editor but when ive impleted it on an android phone evertime the emitter is used and even when it appears to have finished it just keeps slowing the game down.I think its still running up to the 99 second point but not drawing anything.Or ive just messed something obvious up.Any ideas guys.

it works fine on html5 and glfw but i think this is just because my computer is fast enough for that

peterigz(Posted 2013) [#15]
I just replied on my forums as well.

It sounds like you need to change your amount graph. the amount graph tells the emitter how many particles to spawn every second, so it will just keep doing that until you kill the effect, or you add a node to the graph and set it to zero. If you only want it to spawn a single particle then you can tick the single and one shot check boxes on the particle properties tab.

As far as 3D is concerned I have no plans yet.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2013) [#16]
I purchased it a long time ago and just downloaded it for Mac and entered by old licence number. And voila! It works.

peterigz(Posted 2013) [#17]
I've just added a new example to the module that shows a bit more in depth how to implement TimelineFX.

werton(Posted 2014) [#18]
Seems the module is complitly broken in the monkey 79d
any example on compile produced much compilation errors like
"Method tlGameObject.UpdateChildren:Int() is private"

probably this is due to the fix of this bug in the monkey 79d:
"Fixed private methods/functions not really private"

peterigz(Posted 2014) [#19]
Thanks, will sort that out sort it tomorrow :)

peterigz(Posted 2014) [#20]
Fixed those errors, the latest version now works with v79d of Monkey.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#21]
I am thinking about 'integrating' TimelineFX in Ignition X.

Now the way I want to do it is to create an extension of the iLayer (iTimelineFXLayer) and have it render and update the particle manager this way.

Does anyone know if TimelineFX uses a timing system (tweening/delta time)?

Anyone interested in TimelineFX support for Ignition X?

gasmonso(Posted 2014) [#22]
I'm interested in TimelineFX being integrated. I just recently bought Monkey and Jungle IDE. Next on the list is Ignition. Having TimelineFX integrated would be neat.

To be honest I absolutely love the Ignition site. It really makes Monkey look like a serious competitor (at least in the 2d market).

With all the marketing issues monkey has I think it would be an awesome idea if Monkey, Ignition and Jungle could somehow be seen as a single solution for prospective buyers.

And the monkey website should more resemble the ignition one. I think it does a great job of conveying Monkey's capabilities.

Just my thoughts and probably a future separate topic :-)

Loving Monkey so far and looking forward to releasing my first game!

gasmonso

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#23]
Anyone interested in TimelineFX support for Ignition X?

Yes, I would like support for TimelineFX.

What about support for Particle Designer?

- Particle Designer ( Particle-Designer-2.0-Manual.pdf )

Some more tools:

- Particles
- SpriteHelper 2
- LevelHelper
- Spine
- Spriter
- SpriteBuncher
- TexturePacker
- bmGlyph
- Glyph Designer

werton(Posted 2014) [#24]
I'm also one of the interested.

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#25]
I have started on the TimelineFX integration for Ignition X and I think I got the basics down.

Still some glitches to smooth out and design discissions to make but here is the Ignition X version of WebInvaders.

http://playniax.com/showcase/timelinefx/webinvaders/demo.html

The frame frequency is 30 frames per second and uses the tweening and delta timing system of Ignition X (super smooth on the right hardware)

This demo may not run on all browsers yet.

You do need a browser with WebGL support to see this demo because of html5/monkey SetColor lag!

Tibit(Posted 2014) [#26]
Much appriciated to have TimelineFX in ignition, thanks!

peterigz(Posted 2014) [#27]
Cool, feel free to email me and I'll help out when I can, I'm in the middle of moving house at the moment though so apologies for any delayed response!

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#28]
Check your mail :)

Playniax(Posted 2014) [#29]
Having some fun with Ignition X and TimelineFX :)

Use cursor keys left/right to stear the ship.
M = fire.

Needs a browser with WebGL!

http://playniax.com/showcase/gyruss/demo.html

Xaron(Posted 2014) [#30]
Awesome! Well done!

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#31]
Your Module is awesome!

i downloaded your timelinefx module for monkey and installed it and tried some effects.
But some effects do not work.
I've downloaded "ShootemUpEffects" and tried some effects. the Shield for example works fine, but when i try to use "Bigger Explosion 1" it says:"TimelineFX Error: Bigger Explosion 1 doesn't exist in the effect library, make sure you inlcude the full path to the effect including folders".
What am i doing wrong?
Same Errors come up with many many other effects from other libraries. Why are some working and some not?

I've searched the data.xml for this effect, and there i can find:
<EFFECT TYPE="3" EMITATPOINTS="0" MAXGX="1" MAXGY="1" EMISSION_TYPE="1" ELLIPSE_ARC="0.000000000" EFFECT_LENGTH="0" UNIFORM="1" NAME="Bigger Explosion 1" HANDLE_CENTER="1" HANDLE_X="0" HANDLE_Y="0" TRAVERSE_EDGE="0" END_BEHAVIOUR="0" DISTANCE_SET_BY_LIFE="0"> ...
So it is in there I guess.

My Debug-Console prints out:
Monkey Runtime Error : TimelineFX Error: Bigger Explosion 1 doesn't exist in the effect library, make sure you inlcude the full path to the effect including folders
C:/Programmieren/MonkeyPro77c/modules_ext/timelinefx/library.monkey<101>
C:/Programmieren/MonkeyPro77c/modules_ext/timelinefx/examples/ParticleManager.monkey<23>
C:/Programmieren/MonkeyPro77c/modules/mojo/app.monkey<89>.

When i Scroll the xml file some lines up, there's the Line:
<FOLDER NAME="Explosions">
And when i Compare to the other Effects that don't work: they're always within the FOLDER NAME Tag. When it's not there, it works. do i may have to create another Folder within the ShootemUpEffects Folder?

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#32]
... Solved:
I found out, when i Clear all <FOLDER NAME = ...> & </FOLDER> Tags, it works fine.
So i just have to manually go through the data.xml and clear the Folder Tags.
But i just downloaded your .eff files, opened it with 7z, renamed DATA.XML to data.xml and did nothing else.

Anyway, Your TimeLinefx module is really really awesome!!

peterigz(Posted 2015) [#33]
I should check this forum more often :P

Glad you solved the problem and enjoy TimelineFX. the full version of TimelineFX lets you export as a zip so it's ready for use in monkey straight away.