2D Dynamic Lightning - Sprite Lamp

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/2D Dynamic Lightning - Sprite Lamp

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#1]
I stumbled over this today, and have to say it looks pretty good!
Another nice tool that could be used with Monkey for 2D coolness :)

Sprite Lamp is a software tool to help game developers combine 2D art with dynamic lighting effects, through the creation of hand drawn normal maps.

It will be going onto Kickstarter soon, and can be found for now at http://www.spritelamp.com/

Couple of example images from the site...

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#2]
cool, nice idea. a bit of drawing work though, especially if hand animated.

Shagwana(Posted 2013) [#3]
Now this looks interesting!. Its going on Kick-starter Nov 13th.

slenkar(Posted 2013) [#4]
quite noice
does it use images or textured polygons?

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#5]
I'll be impressed if it can fetch typical results that don't make sprite art look like the same kinda mud scheme we've seen from practically every 3d game since, well, this kinda stuff was introduced. Fiddling with things like the black point of a tile and sprite set, or hand-tweaking the ambient reflections, and incorporating it into a system like this in a way that makes it more convenient than traditional methods? I'm not so sure of.

Regardless it could prove a useful tool in the sprite artist's toolkit provided it has a wide range of options for lighting and shading, and has an open, extendible, and well-defined API/format for displaying the results in your engine.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#6]
I do like the look at this.

So it creates the maps for you and you use them in your game engine or does it just output the image files you just load into your game? If its the former I wonder if they will give you the algorithm...

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#7]
There is some cool stuff being done with this in regards to normal maps and Spine in particular - which is how it caught my attention.

Here is the a image output using the default SpineBoy and SpriteLamp, which I think looks great, can't wait to see this develop a bit more.

There is a thread with more details over at java-gaming

simonh(Posted 2013) [#8]
The author of Sprite Lamp has requested that I share his Twitter name on here should you wish to ask any questions - it's:

@SnakeHillGames

dragon(Posted 2013) [#9]
this tool is useless

a good 3d-artist can do it much faster & better with 3D tool (blender for free)

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#10]
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#11]
I do prefer the first example with the Zombie, it adds to the 2D pixel art and would create cool effects.

With the example using SpineBoy it looks like its now a 3D model which is cool, but if you want that effect why not produce a 3D model in the first place...