Tiled support for Monkey

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Tiled support for Monkey

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#1]
Is there any stand-alone module to draw tilemaps done using the Tiled Map Editor (or similar software)? I want to integrate one in my own game's framework.

It does not sound like something too complicated to achieve, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel! Any help is more than welcome.

In fact, I'm getting to the point that I need to draw a big worldmap on a game, and I've decided that the way to go is to use a tiled map. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears. I want something nice, easy and fast to develop (as always).

I think Diddy and maybe fantomengine has tiledmap support, but I'm not sure how framework independent those implementations are.

therevills(Posted 2013) [#2]
Due to the number of ways Tiled maps are stored you need a few modules.

With the Diddy implementation, it is closely linked to the following Diddy modules:
* XML
* Collections
* Base64

XML for the loading of the Tiled maps, you will always need another module for this since Monkey doesnt supply an XML parser.

Also Tiled allows you to base64 encode your maps which means you need a Base64 module too...

So whatever way you decide on loading a Tiled map into Monkey you are going to need multiple modules.

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#3]
I'm worried about adding more and more dependencies. But I'll take a deeper look to it. Thanks!

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#4]
Keep in mind that at the least, you will need an XML parser. Its up to you on how you store the objects contained within Tiled maps.

Base64 is not needed, but once you look at the shear size of a pure XML based Tiled map, you will soon want to go with the Base64 or CSV format (for each layer data content)

There are a LOT of options readily available within Tiled tho. It also depends on which version you go with and to what degree of the features you are using.