Jungle ide first run wizard

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Jungle ide first run wizard

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#1]
Currently, the Jungle Ide "first time" configuration wizard is just being used to get user credentials and to locate the Monkey folder. Once this is done, a default configuration is loaded and everything is ready to go.
Do you think it would be a good idea to have a longer wizard where some settings can be set from the begining? Are default settings "ok" for everyone, or there's anything you would have prefered to be able to tweak from the first run?

Sammy(Posted 2013) [#2]
Not really a first run thing but I would love the ability to be able to define my own keys for Jungle IDE functions.

Eg. I would change Ctrl+Shift+F1 & Ctrl+Shift+F2(there pretty awkward) jump through edit history to Alt Left and Alt Right.

Raul(Posted 2013) [#3]
the actual Wizard was enough for me.

what I would like to have is to keep the Regions "open" or "closed" and the "methods" from save to save. In same cases when I reopen the file I have all my methods and regions expanded.

and one more thing:
1. Open my project
2. Jungle is telling me about an update
3. Press to ake the update.
4. Jungle is closed and reopened.. but not my project, too.

I know these are not very important but I just wanted to write here my little issues I had with this awesome IDE for Monkey ;)

Good Job!

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#4]
People who are running Jungle for the first time probably don't understand what the options mean anyway! So I would recommend just going with non-intrusive defaults.

Not saying that Jungle does anything intrusive! But something that could be considered intrusive, and yet that you want to promote as a useful feature, seems like the only thing you would need to worry about here.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#5]
I don't remember a first setup wizard, but maybe I had Jungle before this was a thing? (Or I simply forgot about the wizard)

The New Project Wizard could definitely be improved some, though. I wish I could use new project templates like in VS, to set up my basic state machine and set of modules I always use. Everyone who makes their own framework can design a Jungle template for it so other coders can start new projects with everything already set up, that would be pretty cool.

Right now the new project wizard is pretty useless, it gives me an entry point in a file I don't care about, marks the document about what IDE it was made in (I don't care), and gives it a name that no entry point in the world would use (newfile.monkey?). Multi-project solutions are kinda a hodge now, but at least basic templates could theoretically be set up to add basic imports, give the entry file a sane name, create a data folder, and shove the appropriate Main:Int() function into the entry file. Selecting templates for basic Mojo App / DiddyApp / Ignition / Flixel frameworks to generate more boilerplate code at the entry point, all the better. Obviously these could be in some template folder living in Jungle's folder or something.....

werton(Posted 2013) [#6]
Not really a first run thing but I would love the ability to be able to define my own keys for Jungle IDE functions.

+1

ziggy(Posted 2013) [#7]
That's on my todo list. I want to implement it, nut not an easy task.

werton(Posted 2014) [#8]
That's on my todo list. I want to implement it, nut not an easy task.

For myself i have written a small utility for replacing original Jungle IDE hotkeys by comfortable for me. I tested it on windows xp x86 and seven x64 with several simultaneously running instance of Jungle IDE. The program will be located in the tray, catching the key events and replacing them on the dates. Utility written on autoit, if anyone needs the sourcecode i'll share them. Hope this utility will be useful to someone else.
ps: left click on tray icon for unhide config window, right click for show menu
pps:sorry for my English
Jungle Shortcuts.zip
Jungle Shortcuts.png

ziggy(Posted 2014) [#9]
Customizing shortcuts is next thing on the "todo list". This week I'll release a stability update, and next version will have either shortcuts customization or improved generics support. I'm testing both things and the first one to be stable enough will be included on next update. Both things are major changes (yes, the shortcuts thing IS a major change, as it involved some nasty messing with windows messages and I want to get it right).