Target SDKs - GLFW?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Target SDKs - GLFW?

GfK(Posted 2013) [#1]
Just installed Monkey on my Win8 laptop to have a play around.

It says to install Visual C++ Express 2010. Is that a minimum requirement? i.e. can I just install the latest Visual C++ Express?

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#2]
I use VS.NET 2012 enterprise and haven't had any issues with it. You *may* need to upgrade the solution for it under the monkey though.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#3]
You could have a few problems if you install both VS2010 and VS2012 on the same machine as the solution upgrade grade doesn't work correctly. If I remember the same thing happened with VS2008 and VS2010.
VS can't determine which tools set to use. There's a few post on the subject around the net.
In the end I had to create a empty solution and fill it in with the information from the vs2010 project file.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#4]
Install MingW and be happy! Much faster to compile than VS, more lightweight and no 'versions problems'.

Of course, if you want Win8/WP8 or WP7 you'll need VS2010 and 2012... I unfortunately installed 2012 first, so I can't install 2010 now - so no WP7/XNA for me :(

GfK(Posted 2013) [#5]
OK, now I'm confused.

I don't even need VC++ Express? Even though that's what the docs say?

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#6]
I thought C++ tool uses mingw and GLFW/Win8/7/XNA uses VS.NET on the Windows platforms. I don't really use them that much as most of the time I'm on Mac OS X.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#7]
Any edition of VS from Express to Ultimate can be used.
And MinGW if it works for GLFW on Windows 7/8 (never tried it). Just Don't expect it to compile Metro or XNA.
@computercoder there's a make file in gcc_winnt so it should.

programmer(Posted 2013) [#8]
Install MingW and be happy!
+1!

From glfw builder:
		Case "winnt"
			If GetConfigVar( "GLFW_USE_MINGW" )="1" And tcc.MINGW_PATH
				MakeGcc
			Else
				MakeVc2010
			Endif
i.e.
1. Add #GLFW_USE_MINGW="1" to CONFIG.MONKEY
2. Check for MINGW_PATH in config.winnt.txt.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#9]
Jeez, how do you guys know all this??

It's massively off-putting that none of this information presents itself.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#10]
It's massively off-putting that none of this information presents itself.
Blame the docs. They really need to be much better than they currently are. The docs only just give you enough basic information on setting the targets SDK's.

Just be thankful that your not trying to set Monkey up on a 64bit version of Linux.

Add #GLFW_USE_MINGW="1" to CONFIG.MONKEY
You do have three ways to do this.

1) Pass it as a parameter when calling trans directly
2) Add configure settings in a Monkey source file.
3) Edit CONFIG.MONKEY and place them there.
You can find all about config settings and the above in the docs.

@Gfk: Set MinGW up as you would for BlitzMax (add the location into the system PATH) and then if you want to use MinGW; Just use #GLFW_USE_MINGW="1" in your source code.

You should be aware about putting certain characters in #GLFW_WINDOW_TITLE when compiling under VS. Try using a single quote (') even as an escape sequence (\') and you will find that VS chokes on it where as MinGW just gives you a warning. The solution you would have to use would be \047.

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#11]
@Gfk: Set MinGW up as you would for BlitzMax (add the location into the system PATH) and then if you want to use MinGW

Not needed in Monkey.

I just placed MinGW and pointed to it on the config.winnt file, and it works.

Sensei(Posted 2013) [#12]
I agree on the lack of good documentation for many things in Monkey:
Pre-processor commands, configurations for builds, etc.
One of the most annoying things for me is the lack of examples for the commands.
Obviously there are some examples, but not very good ones either.
The documentation would benefit from a huge overhaul.
In fact, even if this website had an up-to-date Monkey Docs which people with more experience and knowledge could collaborate on (think Wiki), it would be hugely helpful.
In addition, people who build IDEs (Jungle, Mollusk, etc) could then point the F1 key to the online versions of help instead.

Just my two cents..

PS. What if BRL/Community members put up a bounty for certain aspects? I wonder if that would help drive some changes/improvements.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#13]
There was a wiki for the docs once.
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=4890#53346