Angelfont + Glyph Designer Font = Crash

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Angelfont + Glyph Designer Font = Crash

chimaera(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi all,

I have created a font in Glyph Designer and have exported it as a .fnt. According to the Angelfont threads we should no longer need to convert fonts, and also not use LoadFont.
Using LoadFont works on GLFW but on iOS (7) it crashes.

Does anyone here use Glyphdesigner and been able to get it to work with Angelfont using LoadFontXml-command?

chimaera(Posted 2013) [#2]
A bit of a clarification here.
Using the "angel_font" in beakers AngleFont example, and loading it with LoadFontXml, then my app runs on iOS and render the font correctly.

I believe that it is my font that is not "ready" to be used. But I am not sure what to do. I have saved it as a .fnt from Glyph Designer.

Any ideas?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#3]
I always had problems with Angle font, it just never quite worked the way I was expecting.

I would suggest dropping angle font and going with FontMachine which for me at least has been a far better system, and moving from one to the other is only a matter of changing a few lines of code as they essentially do the same thing.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#4]
are you able to localize the crash? The font loaders have been changed a lot lately, and the version of angelfont on the forums is newer than the one in bananas. In addition, I made some edits to the loaders to optimize them for android (and get rid of some Null image check crashes on v69+) which may or may not have been committed to beaker's latest version, so I'd be interested in knowing if the problem occurs with the "latest" code.

chimaera(Posted 2013) [#5]
@Nobuyuki: Well, it seems to be the font itself that I get from Glyph Designer. If I use the the fonts that comes within beakers examples my code (and the AngelCode works). If I look at "angel_verdana.fnt" MacOS identifies it as an executable (unix executable file) but the ones that I get exported from Glyph Designer is just plain text. Do I have to convert my fonts for them to work with AngelFonts?

chimaera(Posted 2013) [#6]
@Nobuyuki: I have seen that you have been working on improvements for AngelFont in Monkey. If you have the files in a collection (zipped) that I can try I would really appreciate it. If needed you can e-mail my at dante@....

Thanks!

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#7]
I always found Angel well-behaved except I had to add in a y-offset 'by hand' as it seems to paint text well below where one would expect.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#8]
Email sent. Some fixes and hacks in the version I sent you include a few different loaders, one of which may be better for your purposes. None of them use the depreciated format (iirc), and some weird bugs in the public version for the loader should be fixed too, I think. Simpletextbox also doesn't scissor the results anymore, so it should work with AutoFit/AutoScale.

Also, ack!! I'm not sure if the version I sent you is using the latest xml or config, it's been a while. I could've sworn I'd changed that, but now I'm not sure...

Edit: I guess I didn't change my actual active code to use it, but here is the version of AngelFont.monkey that uses the faster xml loader routines:

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/post.php?topic=141&post=54892

chimaera(Posted 2013) [#9]
Thanks Nobuyuki,

I received your e-mail and will check out the code shortly.