Excuse the noob idiot here, but...

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Excuse the noob idiot here, but...

Sensei(Posted 2013) [#1]
I understand the differences between targets such as Android, Ouya, Windows, etc, but what are the benefits/differences between:

-GLFW
-XNA (from what I can tell, this will make your app run on Win7/Win8/Win8 Phone)
-C++ tool

My confusion stems from if you can create a game and compiled it as an XNA target that'll run on so many Windows platforms, why use GLFW?
I gather that GLFW means you can compile for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X?
C++ Tool: Is this for more of a commandline type app creation?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#2]
Excuse my short reply im in the queue at mcdonnalds .

Its the api's and code it producez is specific to each platform. There may not seem to be many differences but there are.

Markus(Posted 2013) [#3]
emm,

XNA is a Microsoft Framework (like .Net) for making games for windows,windows phone,xbox 360. its (was) not free, you must pay a fee each year ($99 the last price i remember 2008). if you not pay you can't
use your own apps^^ because Digital rights management(drm) (i better boycott).

GLFW is a lightweight utility library.

C++ means the tool what compile all your code into one app
and this can be more than one platform/target.

Apple(Mac OS) had the similar idea as MS.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#4]
GLFW is actually a small OpenGL library aimed at being multi platform which is probably why Mark chose it as the Desktop solution.

As for the C++ Tool Target, is there for producing CLI or command line interface applications which do not have access to opengl or the other rendering capabilities.

I may be wrong but I think Trans may be written in monkey and compiled with the C++ Tool build option, sure I read that some where.

Home now, had a Big Mac and Milkshake :)

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#5]
XNA uses DirectX behind the scenes, which tends to be more compatible with older Windows graphics cards.

GLFW uses OpenGL, which can have driver problems with older cards.

The C++ tool uses no libraries and is platform independent.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#6]
XNA is a Microsoft Framework (like .Net) for making games for windows,windows phone,xbox 360. its (was) not free, you must pay a fee each year ($99 the last price i remember 2008). if you not pay you can't
If I remember you only pay the fee if you wish to develop for Xbox 360 and the Windows Phone 7. You can still down load XNA to make Windows XP/Vista/7 games.

Markus(Posted 2013) [#7]
@dawlane
i had used a solution with two projects, for pc and xbox.
the last try i want start the windows version told me i have no license.
hmm, maybe i must remove the xbox project.
if i do not not forget it will try it today at home again.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#8]
maybe i must remove the xbox project.
There should be no need to remove a project. Just set the targets in the project settings.

Markus(Posted 2013) [#9]
@dawlane,
i start the windows/xna project in c#.net 2008 there comes a message:

Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices.GamerServicesNotAvailableException wurde nicht behandelt.
Message="The current profile does not have an XNA Creators Club membership, which is required to sign in to the Live service. To continue, purchase a membership from Xbox Live Marketplace, or switch to a local gamer profile."
Source="Microsoft.Xna.Framework"

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#10]
c#.net 2008
Didn't think any one was still using that. Never used it went straight from 2005 pro to 2010 pro and I will do the same in 2015.

In 2010 you find which platform is set in the configuration manager. You can get access to this by either the active build drop down menu or right click the solution in the Solution Explorer and in configuration Properties it gives you a list of projects that can be built and what platform.
I usually get it complaining about Windows Phone if I leave if set to mixed platforms.

Edit: But if your having problems check out this.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3851740/xna-signing-in-with-local-profile
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/563437-xna-exceptionthe-current-profile-does-not-have-an-xna-creators-club-membership/
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=956
http://prof.johnpile.com/2011/09/12/networking-with-xna/

Sensei(Posted 2013) [#11]
Wow thanks for all that useful info guys.
It makes more sense now. I like XNA, as the tests I've done seem to work well with Win7 and Win8 so far. I will also test on my mate's WinRT tablet at a later stage.
I forgot that XNA would use DirectX and is quite obvious now I think of it, so in that regard, using GLFW is handy for multi-platform really and OpenGL on Windows.

At the end of the day, I just want to aim to make a game that'll run on Win 7, Win 8, Android, Ouya, Mac OS X and Linux (Ubuntu).
Depending on how things go, I might be able to sell my existing 2007 macbook and get something newer to compile for iOS using XCode.
Existing problems I get on the macbook with XCode won't allow me to compile any Monkey examples :(

Maybe someone can help me pinpoint what the problem is? (Not sure which forum thread it should go into). It's Mac OS X 10.6.8 running XCode 3.0:
2013-09-24 23:09:50.031 xcodebuild[722:60b] Error loading /Developer/Library/Xcode/Plug-ins/XcodeSubversionPlugin.xcplugin/Contents/MacOS/XcodeSubversionPlugin:  
dlopen(/Developer/Library/Xcode/Plug-ins/XcodeSubversionPlugin.xcplugin/Contents/MacOS/XcodeSubversionPlugin, 265): 
Library not loaded: /usr/lib/libsvn_ra_dav-1.0.dylib
  Referenced from: /Developer/Library/Xcode/Plug-ins/XcodeSubversionPlugin.xcplugin/Contents/MacOS/XcodeSubversionPlugin
  Reason: image not found
2013-09-24 23:09:50.032 xcodebuild[722:60b] WARNING: Failed to load plugin at: /Developer/Library/Xcode/Plug-ins/XcodeSubversionPlugin.xcplugin, skipping.  Could not load bundle.
2013-09-24 23:09:50.100 xcodebuild[722:60b] WARNING: Failed to load plugin at: /Developer/Library/Xcode/Plug-ins/XcodeSubversionPlugin.xcplugin, skipping.  Could not load bundle.
(NOTE: project MonkeyGame was written by a newer Xcode version (46) -- temporarily downgrading it (without modifying project file))

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#12]
It's Mac OS X 10.6.8 running XCode 3.0:

You'll need XCode 4 at least... and now they're on iOS7 which needs XCode 5.

Sensei(Posted 2013) [#13]
Thanks AdamRedwoods.
I guess it's now at the stage where I see if I can install Mac OS X 10.9 or 10.8 via hackery/witchcraft..

Soap(Posted 2013) [#14]
There are services where you can rent up to date Mac time online if you only need to quickly compile and upload builds. Can be better option depending.

http://www.macincloud.com/

http://www.xcodeclub.com/

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#15]
Soap, mind looking in the ios forum for my post ? don't want to derail this thread.

Sensei(Posted 2013) [#16]
A mate here at work suggested something I hadn't thought of before:
Install OS X 10.8 (or 10.9 when it's out) on Parallels Desktop.
Might not be fast enough to play games on, but if it'll help for compiling using a newer OS X and XCode, I think that could do the job?