monkey 32 and 64 or just 32

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/monkey 32 and 64 or just 32

julesd(Posted 2013) [#1]
Just wondering if monkey is capable of programming 64 bit software.

blabz(Posted 2013) [#2]
That would depend on the platform, 64 bit c# applications are easily configured though I'm not sure if it's native in monkey, iOS 64 bit change hasn't been made yet, Android doesn't have a 64 bit platform(i believe), unsure of c++ export, and javascript depends on the browser, Google canary has multiprocessor configuration.

The biggest question is why is this a concern?
Are you planning on exceeding 4gb of Ram?

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#3]
if mark would update the glfw lib, then yes, 64-bit on windows/linux. until then, it's 32.
Mac OSX is 64bit.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#4]
You can produce 64bit binaries on both Windows, Linux and produce 32bit binaries for OSX. The back-end compiler/linker with the correct tools, libraries, flags and paths set, should handle any architecture optimizations and linking.

You can't do any of this through the Monkey IDE or it's language as you have to modify settings in the compiler project files, and its a lot easier and simpler building it on a 64bit OS than trying to do it on a 32bit OS. Any compiler warnings produced should be investigated.

Here's a list of some things http://www.viva64.com/en/a/0004/ that you should be aware of when dealing with the C/C++ code Monkey produces when you wish to compile for a 64bit system.

The only noticeable difference I have come across so far when compiling as a 64bit binary is a small discrepancy with floating point numbers that I will have to investigate at a later date.