Mollusk IDE v1.68 -- January Update

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Mollusk IDE v1.68 -- January Update

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#1]
This post was originally about Mollusk version 1.50.
For the latest version, read on or visit http://grudlux.com/mollusk/

---------------------------------------------------

Good evening!

I have uploaded a fresh Mollusk IDE update, version 1.50, and it is the biggest one in a while! Besides bug fixes and minor improvements, I knocked some long-term features off my to-do list including:

- code folding (try it, it's basic for now, but I plan to expand it)
- toolbar dropdown box to instantly change Monkey compiler version
- highlight-all-occurrences of selected word (like Notepad++)
- EOL format (LF/CRLF/CR) is now preserved and can be changed per-file
- a more "compact" option for the sidebar Code panel
- a warning before you lose an unsaved customized color theme
- crash logs to assist debugging (particularly on Mac?)

Full changelog: http://www.grudlux.com/mollusk/versions.txt
Webpage: http://www.grudlux.com/mollusk/

Plus in honor of Monkey v75, I have put Mollusk on sale for $7.50 for the next 10 days :)

Please try v1.50 before you purchase or delete your previous version... This is a major update and bugs might pop up! (Which reminds me, paid users can now choose which version they want to download, back to version 1.42.)

Leave any new feedback and suggestions here... hopefully I haven't broken anything!

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#2]
Thanks for the update grudlux! I really like the code folding, and the added ability to further customize features within the editor.

Nice work so far! I'll see how this fares in Mac OS X 10.7.5 :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#3]
Yeah some nice additions, the folding is nice and I like the sidebar change as well, keeps things nice and neat..

Still missing a little extra syntax highlighting tho, I really would like to be able to highlight a class, and its methods differently.

Difference(Posted 2013) [#4]
Looking good, just bought this :-)

skape(Posted 2013) [#5]
Yeah, great updates! Thanks for continuing work on this! :)

Neuro(Posted 2013) [#6]
How does the highlight all occurrence feature work on Mollusk? I can't seem to get it to work...well work the way it does on Notepad++ that is.

Edit : ok it actually works on the PC version, on the Mac doesn't seem to do it.

BTW, auto updating doesn't work on the Mac version too.

byo(Posted 2013) [#7]
Bought it too. It's looking good. ;)

Sammy(Posted 2013) [#8]
Great work, well done!

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#9]
Plans for version 1.51:
- more folding options (starting with individual keyword settings)
- more coloring options (what do you want to see? Taiphoz I know you have been waiting...)
- Mac improvements (Neuro I will check out your problems)

At some point I want to overhaul and greatly improve the "Code" sidebar. I have a long to-do list still.

Thanks for the feedback.

rIKmAN(Posted 2013) [#10]
OK the special offer got me, I'll be buying this at the weekend.

Sounds great, keep up the good work! :)

CopperCircle(Posted 2013) [#11]
Great update thanks. I brought it a few weeks ago and the only thing I would love now is a function/method helper(for built-in or user), so when you are in the parameters of a function/method it shows you the what parameters are expected.

Thanks.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#12]
Grud what about being able to split the side bar up, for example say I want to drag the explorer out and dock it to the right of the code window, so it would be exp/source/code or what if I wanted to have Exp+code/source/help with the help docked on the right and the code and explorer docked on the left.

Another thing might be to allow us to dock things bellow the source window like app output.

Also having the help as a tab rather than a docked side bar window I would very much prefer, I do use the side bar help some times but honestly my monitor isnt that big so I really cant do the help justice in a little side bar window it for me at least really needs to be in a tab.

skape(Posted 2013) [#13]
Also having the help as a tab rather than a docked side bar window I would very much prefer, I do use the side bar help some times but honestly my monitor isnt that big so I really cant do the help justice in a little side bar window it for me at least really needs to be in a tab.

Though, be sure to keep the help as a sidebar option available too, as I MUCH prefer that (especially with more modules switching to the new Monkey documentation system.)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#14]
Yes making it an option would be very cool, people can then pick what works best for them.

Why0Why(Posted 2013) [#15]
I downloaded the new demo and I am going to buy it to support the community. I have been suing Jungle since the beginning. I second the request of Copper Circle to show function parameters. If you are using frameworks, there are hundreds or thousands of methods and functions and this is a HUGE help.

CopperCircle(Posted 2013) [#16]
Hi, just tried 1.50 on my Mac and it crashes if I set the icons to 32x32.
Thanks.

mteo77(Posted 2013) [#17]
Hello.
Tried the demo and the ide is very fast on my machine, while my current ide is very slow at editing even a single file.
I second some of the requests, in particular the "show functions parameters" and "more coloring options".
I think the first will really help in coding while using frameworks (depending on the project, sometimes it's not unusual to have 3 or 4 extra "frameworks") and the coloring definitely help in coding when you have got lots of classes and methods.
I also think that being able to dock certain windows will be a bonus, especially if you are one of those lucky ones that has got a big monitor or a multi monitor setup (sadly not me...).
Good job so far!

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#18]
Very nice!

May I ask, how is the folding encoded? I tried loading in Ted and the folds disappeared. When I loaded in Wordpad, I couldn't see them, and they don't seem to be in a separate file either.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#19]
May I ask, how is the folding encoded?

Folding is a feature of Mollusk, not an encoded part of the file format like XML, Excel, Word, etc. The IDE has the ability to make the code have folding capabilities based upon keywords that tell it where to start or end any given foleded area.

Take for example Class ... End, For ... Next, or Select ... End just to name a few of the keywords. When the IDE sees the first keyword, it says "Hey! I have a start of a folding block, Let's give then a toggle switch." When it sees the End keyword, depending upon how embedded it is, it says "And here's the end of the block. When the user selects to click the toggle switch, I'll stop the folding here and display what comes after it." It repeats this for every fold-able block.

Hope this helps :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#20]
grudlux , on the subject of folding , any chance we might get a few extra buttons on the tool bar, for things like.

Toggles for.
fold/unfold all (current document)
fold/unfold all class. (current document)
fold/unfold all functions. (current document)

Would fit in nice right after the monkey version box.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#21]
Those are some good ideas :) +1 for me!

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#22]
computercoder said: "Folding is a feature of Mollusk, not an encoded part of the file format like XML, Excel, Word, etc."

Yes, but it remembers where you have folded code between sessions. So either the folds are encoded somehow in the .monkey file or they are saved in some other file someplace.

Shockblast(Posted 2013) [#23]
Any Mac users working with Mollusk right now?? Does it work much better compared to the official editor??

@grudlux: I've tried the demo a bit but I can't figure out the Finder. Is it possible to open up/extend multiple folders at the same time like in the original editor?? Also an option like "Open project" function similar to the original editor would be awesome. I think that's the only thing keeping me from buying your IDE.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#24]
I didn't even pay attention to that tbo. I know some things are written to the Windows registry, but on Mac perhaps there is a file in the Mollusk.app?

Folding information is not included in the .monkey files though.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#25]
@Shockblast
I use Mollusk on Mac and Windows. The Mac version does well and is fairly stable, but has a few issues that grudlux is working on. I enjoy the code folding, auto-completion of keywords, and some other aspects. Download the Demo and try it out for yourself :) It only works with HTML5 in that version, but the full version gives you the ability to compile all targets.

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#26]
Just answering a few questions/comments:

- I plan to add more coloring options and function parameter hints.

- Folding states are saved with your Mollusk preferences, NOT with the source code. (I know some IDEs append settings to the code as comments.)

- I don't want to clutter up the toolbar, but how about one or two icons (either fold+unfold or just a toggle) which opens a popup menu? (with Fold, Fold All, Classes, Functions/Methods?)

- A few Mac users have reported crashes which I am trying to fix ASAP. (Of course the demo is free to test.)

- It sounds like a number of requests are related to a customizable/dockable layout. Unfortunately this is way down the list, because it would involve either rewriting the whole layout or switching to some 3rd party GUI library. So... for now, you can use Jungle or some other higher-level IDEs.

Neuro(Posted 2013) [#27]
- I don't want to clutter up the toolbar, but how about one or two icons (either fold+unfold or just a toggle) which opens a popup menu? (with Fold, Fold All, Classes, Functions/Methods?)

The icons toolbar menu don't necessarily have to be shown at all. Can have a view option to have it display or not.

John Galt(Posted 2013) [#28]
Grudlux- another new customer here. Great price for a decent product- thanks.

A few bugs I noticed here on MacOs 10.7.5
-Lots of freezes (I have to kill the app) when changing preferences, especially colours.

-Code folding folds the wrong things in some instances. EDIT: It doesn't like single line if statements.

Keep up the good work

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#29]
@John Galt
I haven't noticed a lot of freezes, but I do get the code folding incorrectly with single line If statements. I think that you can exclude these in the IDE by setting the minimum number of lines required to kick off Folding on MacOS :) I set mine to 5 lines before code folding needs to occur. Everything seems happy as far as that is concerned.

I do get occasional crashes, but Ryan is currently looking into those.

nikoniko(Posted 2013) [#30]
Hi, I am newbee in Monkey and Molusk too

But I have wish list for Molusk already (use free html5 version)
- more, more stable under Windows. It often crushes in build time when compiler errors appear.
- highlighting brackets (scintilla does it!)
- showing parameters in the autocomplete list and add brackets when inserting function/method to source
- MACROS (user defined)
- TEMPLATES( why not?) or code snippets. Insert often used code by hotkeys.
- adding import modules to namespace for autocomplete, not only opened sources, so I use fantomEngine in my tutorials without autocomplete, every time checking fE help
- about help. It's nonsense have a help without searching in it! Even Ted has searching in minimal form.

Seems it's all for today :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#31]
Grudlux, recently it's been crashing on me, odly enough when I Typed Abs( happened in 3 separate locations, not sure if it was one of those really odd coincident, or if its a problem with the highlighter.

its not happened today so would be hard to reproduce.

Another possible feature if your list still has room, how about a project manager either like ted's or jungles.

Have a new file format, in xml or something that stores all the files that belong to the project, and if they are open in the ide or not, opening a project file would then change working directory to its location and open all tabs with the files your new project file say should be open.

At the moment it's a fairly small thing to add but it's one of those things which has value over time, as you add the moving docked windows all this moved docked window data can be stored per project.

You could also store highlighting options in the project file which would allow people to have separate highlighting for different projects, not something I do personally but something a fellow developer does in another language.

nikoniko(Posted 2013) [#32]
Yeah! Remember one thing!

Molusk supports '? syntax for source bookmarks.

may be extend this with new keywords 'TODO (for TODO tab on the navigation panel), 'FIX, '', ''' for any others cases :)

And bookmarks set/access by hotkey Ctrl-F2/F2 nice to see too :)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#33]
Oh that just reminded me of something I used to have in my G17, with the macro keys at the side I used to have commend and header blocks layed out.

so if I wanted something like this at the top of a function I only had to hit , as I recall G6 and my keyboard would key it in super fast ..
#rem *************************************
'summary:
#end *************************************

So how about a section under macros, where we could layout little code snippets and bind them to an F1....F12 key, and on keypress it would insert that little snippet of code.

John Galt(Posted 2013) [#34]
Thanks computercoder, I will give that a shot. Still consider it a bug though.

I have not yet taken a look at the logs, I will see if they shed any light on the freezing.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#35]
@John Galt
Yep, I believe its a bug too, but I figured a work around would be better than nothing :)

Also, send your logs to grudlux with a description of what you were doing, if you remember it. And if you haven't already, turn on the app logging in the preferences so that it always traces what you are doing and you won't need to remember. Just copy all the log files and zip them up to send to grudlux.

skape(Posted 2013) [#36]
-Lots of freezes (I have to kill the app) when changing preferences, especially colours.

Yeah, I get the Preferences crashes as well on Mac OS. Other than prefs though, it's been rock solid for me.

John Galt(Posted 2013) [#37]
@computercoder- workaround doesn't work here. As the folding doesn't seem to understand the concept of a single line if statement (without matching endif), it assumes it to be the start of a larger block and hence doesn't filter it.

Unlikely- thanks for the confirmation.

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#38]
Bought this one, now I can finally work on a Mac. :)

gekkonier(Posted 2013) [#39]
Picked up the sale too, happy coding!

gekkonier(Posted 2013) [#40]
One thing I would really like to see in Mollusk is a back button in the help browser.
But thank you so far.

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#41]
+1 for back button in help!

Sensei(Posted 2013) [#42]
Grudlux, many thanks for your help today with the payment issues.
Can't wait to use the full version :)

Regards,
Jaco

PS. Any plans to allow people to make themes at some point?

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#43]
Whoa, lots of feedback here, good and bad.

It sounds like I need to focus on bug fixes for the next update. Seems like v1.50 crashes MORE than 1.42? The Mac version is frustrating because I usually have access to only one Mac (OSX 10.7.5) and I can't get most of these crashes to happen. (I am going to test/debug on another Mac this week.) Also I am surprised to hear about crashes on Windows -- I have not seen Mollusk v1.50 crash on any of my testing PCs. :/

As for the feature requests, I agree with most of them! Also most should be pretty easy to implement. Unfortunately I won't guarantee anything specific until the crashes are solved.

Also: Yes, single-line IFs are not parsed correctly for folding (as JG said). I consider this a bug too and it should be fixed for v1.51.

FelipeA(Posted 2013) [#44]
I keep getting crashes when I click on "Browse For Folder" also a couple of random crashes when trying to import a theme. :(

I have a macbook pro 2012 with OS X 10.8.5

I'll stick with TED for now and hope that you can fix it.

Thanks a lot for constant work on Mollusk, I really like this IDE :D

skape(Posted 2013) [#45]
For those who want a help back button... in the meantime, you can right-click and choose "Back" from there.

PS. Any plans to allow people to make themes at some point?

This is already in for color themes: check out "Import/Export" in the Preferences. :)

John Galt(Posted 2013) [#46]
Glad to hear bug fix is a priority. Dumb question- but where does the debug log get written to? If I can get hold of a log of this prefs crash I will.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#47]
Dumb question- but where does the debug log get written to? If I can get hold of a log of this prefs crash I will.

Not a dumb question! It's tucked away. Follow these steps to setup application logging:

1) From the menu, select Settings -> User Interface
2) Make sure the check box for "Also save a program log (for debugging)" is checked.
3) Click Apply and then close the window.

When you experience a crash, Mollusk will display a messege window with the location of where it saved the file to. In MY OPINION, the debugging log SHOULD be located RIGHT WITH Mollusk's executable file, not in the obscure location that it is currently set to. Its painful to get at, and if you don't know much about the Mac OS, you may never get to it. I have no idea where it goes on Windows as I primarily use Mac OS X and what little I've used it on Windows, I haven't experienced any issues so far.

Hope that helps :)

@grudlux:
Just a suggestion...
In all applicaitions I've ever written professionally for various businesses, the LOG files are ALWAYS located beside the binary of the application, or tucked away in a folder under the application's root folder. Since an error will occur for ANY user, please make the LOG location in the APP folder, not way out in the system's Library folder (on Mac, not sure where it goes for Windows). It would make this experience far easier for your users to give you logs when they experience crashes and easier for you to get at too. The messege that comes up could be condensed to something like "An error occured, this was logged in the error report log located at '<insert the path to the binary\folder>'"

rebelas(Posted 2013) [#48]
I just purchased the IDE. Please keep on bug fixing before adding features, otherwise, you will fail and we will the same as you! KISS

skape(Posted 2013) [#49]
@grudlux
If there is an easy way to make font antialiasing a switchable preference, that would be very nice.

CopperCircle(Posted 2013) [#50]
My Blitz Max Blue colour theme is here is anyone wants it.

http://www.coppercircle.co.uk/BlitzMax.mtheme

Sensei(Posted 2013) [#51]
@CopperCircle - I'll have a look tonight! :)

@grudlux, do you think there's a possibility that you could give the IDE the ability to detach the side windows for the help docs, build window, etc?
I have a dual monitor setup and it'd be nice to be able to utilise the screen space better if I could both see more code and be able to reference/view build logs on another screen.
I know I can open the docs seperately in a browser by hand, but then I don't get the instant F1 help on a keyword if I need it (which I often do ATM).
Another option might be to be able to set in the Preferences, whether you want F1 to open in a full browser window instead of inside the IDE.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#52]
little Bug:

Each of those actually point to different versions, the bottom one should be reading as the new beta 76a and the second one should be 75 i think, where is this data being stored I had a look but couldnt find it.

A suggestion might be giving some options for this little list in the options section, perhaps a list where we can put each different build trans location on a single line and a comma to seperate the the label so we could have something like ..

Monkey 70,d:\code\monkey70\....
Monkey 75,d:\code\monkey75a\....

dunno though you could also allow us to hover over one of them in the drop down list and have hitting delete remove it from the list..

Where are you getting the version numbers from I assumed versions.txt but cant think why your parser if that is what your doing is not getting the right value.

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#53]
Hi guys,

@computercoder -- The logs are saved in the same folder as the settings file, thus you can choose to save them in the app's folder or within the user's Application Data (or similar) folder. For years I would agree with you and save files alongside the executable, but in recent years Microsoft and especially Apple recommend (or require) saving files in the User folder (or face problems with user privileges, etc.). I have not submitted to the OSX App Store but I have heard many programs were rejected due to writing to the Applications folder (similar to Window's 'Program Files').

@Unlikely -- Anti-aliasing on the code font, I assume? No there is no way to currently change that...

@Sensei -- I have always wanted some sort of external help option. As I mentioned earlier, a totally-customizable GUI would be a big overhaul in the future, HOWEVER I can quickly implement other Help options. Either a separate Help viewer window in Mollusk, or just launch the default web browser (but then every F1 press could open a new tab in your browser).

@Taiphoz -- That's an odd bug. Yes Mollusk checks VERSIONS.TXT to get the version name. You could investigate your settings file (Grudlux/Mollusk/Mollusk.ini somewhere in your user directory).

Sammy(Posted 2013) [#54]
You can force off anti-aliasing on the code font by turning off "Smooth edges of screen fonts" in your Performance Options(On Win7, Right click on Computer, then Properties. Go to Advanced System Settings/Advanced Tab/Performance Settings/Custom). This turns off all anti-aliasing used by desktop apps.

Skn3(Posted 2013) [#55]
Anyone else able to get mollusk to run with latest monkey versions?

Regardless of what compiler I select in options it reverts to 73a.

I tried to select 76a transcc path but it doesn't seem to work.

In my dropdown list at the top I have two options titled "Monkey v73a"

Any Ideas?

[edit]

Noticed that Taiphoz was also having the problem. Where are the settings stored on the Mac?

[edit 2]
/Users/<YOUR_USERNAME>/Library/Containers/com.grudlux.Mollusk/Data/Library/Application Support/Mollusk

[edit 3]
So if I change the line to this...

Compiler1=/Applications/Monkey/MonkeyPro76a/bin/transcc_macos|Monkey V76a|4

I then relaunch Mollusk and for some reason it changes back to this...
Compiler1=/Applications/Monkey/MonkeyPro76a/bin/transcc_macos|Monkey V73a|4

skape(Posted 2013) [#56]
@grudlux
Anti-aliasing on the code font, I assume? No there is no way to currently change that...

Yep, that is what I was referring to. Something a la TextMate or Sublime Text. Certainly not a neccesary feature, but some fonts just work better w/o antialiasing.

@Sammy
Mac OS X has something similar, but alas it does not affect Mollusk.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#57]
Skn yeah same thing here on windows, looks like he's parsing the versions file each time mollusk opens but for some reason his parser is crapping out once it hits 73a.

the really odd thing is that I opened versions and I fudged all the other version tags which I assume he's parsing for and replaced them all with **** b73a **** replacing the v/b , and then left only a valid 76 tag and it still fails, the drop down list is then left with the file name of trans rather than a label for the version it is.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#58]
His parser is looking for ***** V73b ***** not ***** v73b *****

If you do a quick little find replace on your versions file then mollusk will adjust.

and fortunately this is an easy fix for grud.

Difference(Posted 2013) [#59]
Could we have a "bookmark/favorite folders/related folders thingy in the finder window?

Also: Would it be possible to change the finder window to a treeview?

When working on a project, I'll spend just as much time in my framework and other libs that are located in my modules folder as in my project folder. Getting from the project folder to the modules folder takes way to many clicks, and then I have to click back to the project folder.

I have solved it for my current tests by making symbolic links to the related modules and putting them in the project folder, but I was hoping there will be a simpler native mollusk way in the future.

In Ted I solve it by making "Projects", but the project list gets crowded pretty quick.

I think the ideal solution for me would be a "finder" treeview (like in Ted) and a way to have some related folders:

[MyProjectFolder]
......main.monkey
......[main.data]
[mymodules]
......[myframework]
......[angelfont]
[relatedtextansstuff]
......readme.txt
......todo.txt

PS: I have the Preferences = crash bug (Lion and Montain Lion) too.
PPS: Also the 73a bug, although I don't have that version installed, and Mullusj just compiles with my current version (75a)

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#60]
Taiphoz is right, I parse VERSIONS.TXT to get the compiler versions, but it was case sensitive. I have fixed it for v1.51, which I think I will release soon... unfortunately hunting down all these crashes (particularly OSX) has been taking longer than expected, should be better in v1.52 :/

@Difference -- A favorites list would be easy. I will consider the rest too.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#61]
Glad to hear that there is progress on the OS X issues :) Keep on chipping away with them grudlux :)

I also like the idea Difference suggested with Projects. It doesn't have to be anything sophisticated, just functional in a good way. Difference 's idea fits the bill quite well for me too :)

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2013) [#62]
Agree with Difference. I also spend time clicking between my current folder and the modules folder, though luckily in my system they are not too far apart.

Difference(Posted 2013) [#63]
Thanks for your efforts.

A little update on the Preferences Crash:

I Right clicked my icons, that I had previously set to "Use Large", and selected "small icons".

I can now again use the Preferences without Mollusk hanging :-)

[EDIT] But now I clicked "bold" -> Apply, and it hangs again... :-(

Sensei(Posted 2013) [#64]
@grudlux:

Just another few thoughts I had for Mollusk features:

1. A split view of the same code page if possible (similar to NotePad++ clone view)
2. A time-based theme change. You can set the time start and end and Mollusk will change the theme to your chosen ones within that time period. For example, during the day I like to use the built-in "Light colour theme", but in the evenings I like to use the "Dark colour theme" :)

How's the crash issues going btw?

Sensei(Posted 2013) [#65]
Touchwood, but Mollusk seems stable tonight. I changed the properties to run in Compatibility mode (XP SP3) and Run as Admin. It might just be luck tonight though, too early to tell. But the thought came to me as before when I used to use Protean (for BlitzPlus coding), I had to do the same, so thought it worth a shot :)

I'll update this if this turns out to be just luck!

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#66]
Good news everyone! I have uploaded a new Mollusk version 1.51 tonight. Please try it out when you can:

http://www.grudlux.com/mollusk/

I apologize for the delay, it was a very busy month for me. Unfortunately I did not add as many new features as I wished, but I did add:

- Back/Forward/Browse/Favorites/Popout (child window) to Help browser
- Find feature in Help browser (Windows only for now, sorry)
- 'Close Others' added to 'Close' and 'Close All' in tab menu
- Improved update check, highlighting, GUI behavior...

The big reliefs are:

- Major Mac version bug fixes
- Fixed annoying "v73a" compiler list bug
- Improved (fixed?) single-line If detection (so it won't fold)

The Mac crashes/freezes were frustrating because I could not reproduce them on my development Mac. Eventually I found the bugs on another iMac and fixed them, hopefully all of them. Please test if you can!

Thanks again for your support and patience.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#67]
Very cool :) I'll give it a try over the next few days. Thanks for all the work and keep up with the improvements :)

Sensei(Posted 2013) [#68]
Thanks for the updated @grudlux! I'll try it out tonight as well :)

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#69]
I've been playing with 1.51 for a few days now. Its fairly nice, especially the newest Intelisense update and the stability issues with Mac OS :)

There are some stability issues yet when switching between the Help tab to the Code tab after the app is running for a while. I could be running the app I'm making and then switch to the Code tabs from the Help tab and a crash occurs or I could do the same after saving the files without executing the app and it will crash.

I sent an email with the log files when I did it either way :)

I REALLY LIKE THE NEW INTELLISENSE! It is capable of traversing the classes I make in addition to the Monkey classes :) It still isn't capable of the parameters, but I still like it as it is.

Sensei(Posted 2013) [#70]
Yeah 1.51 is great for me. No crashes at all and I like that the monkey version is now showing properly and stays the selected one when you load up the IDE. I do wish the collapsed code would stay collapsed though. It's a pain to re-collapse code each time I load source code :(

nikoniko(Posted 2013) [#71]
Yes, no crashes now

Anoid bug
When caret is on the last visible line and press enter key no scroll up editor area so cursor out of visible area.

Some ideas for implementation
Add function/method parameters to autocomplete list when edit functions body
Add type for vars and list of paramerest for functions/method to autocomlete list (like intelesense)

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#72]
From this and some emails it sounds like v1.51 fixed MOST but not ALL crashes. (I have already fixed a Windows bug since that update.) I'll keep looking.

@sensei -- The collapsed (same as "folded" right?) code should retain its state when you re-open it... but only if "Remember Cursor And Line Positions" is enabled. Otherwise that's a new bug. You are on Mac, right?

@nikoniko -- Wow, I don't know how I missed the enter key scrolling issue. Fixed it now, for the next update. I should also add parameters to the auto-complete!

Sensei(Posted 2013) [#73]
@grudlux. Apologies mate. It seems it does indeed retain the folded code and cursor sections. Perhaps the confusion is in the settings where you have both "Remember cursor and line positions" as well as "Enable folding for source code files". Perhaps the former should go under the Folding setting to lessen confusion.
Could you also add a shortcut key or menu option to fold all/unfold all?

Also, I mainly use it on my Win 7 PC but also have it on my macbook.
Frankly, it works great now and I have no complaints.
I think the only other feature that would really rock is what the JungleIDE does and that is dual view of the same source code (Split view, a la Notepad++ Clone View). I find the larger a source page gets, the handier that feature becomes.

DarkyCrystal(Posted 2013) [#74]
Hi there,

One thing that could be very nice is to have autocompletion with "two levels of objects". I've seen that in some cases that doesn't work.

for ex imagine that :
Class myObject
  Field x:Float
End

myList List<myObject> = New List<myObject>

After several operations, and after put some instances in the list, we could have

myList.First().x = 0

The fact is that the ".x" is not shown with the autocompletion feature. The "first" is shown but not the "second level" : ".x"

:)

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#75]
@Sensei -- You're right, that setting is confusing, I will adjust it for v1.52 which should be out within a week. Split-view is definitely nice in NPP, I will look into it.

For Fold/Unfold All, there is already a Ctrl+Shift+J hotkey (Ctrl+J is just fold/unfold current section). Some time I hope to make hotkeys fully configurable.

@DarkCrystal -- Hmm, properly handling that would be tricky but I will try.

Whiteball(Posted 2013) [#76]
Hi,

This IDE looks very interesting and I like the support being given here.

just a quick question though, does it have the abilty to 'jump to definition'
I find this useful, especially if I'm learning a new framework or have a lot of source files I'm working with.

rebelas(Posted 2013) [#77]
Thanks for the update.

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#78]
December 6 -- A new Mollusk version 1.52 is now online:

http://www.grudlux.com/mollusk/

This is a pretty small update. It includes a Windows bugfix related to compiling, fixed a couple annoyances (see nikoniko's post), minor UI changes, and a couple unimportant things that have been on my to-do list forever (option to import custom icons, and improved the HTML exporter).

Changelog: http://www.grudlux.com/mollusk/versions.txt

As usual, thanks for checking it out, and let me know if you have any comments (especially bugs)! I still have a giant feature wishlist, but I'm chipping away at it.

PS. I have NOT tested on OS X Mavericks yet. I will try to soon.

skape(Posted 2013) [#79]
Thanks grudlux!

What does "Function/method parameters should now show up in the Auto-complete list" mean? Am I missing something?

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#80]
Oh, it's an addition to the Auto-completer that nikoniko asked for. Can't believe I missed it until now.

Example:
Function Combine:String(StringOne:String, StringTwo:String)
  ' if you type in here,
  ' StringOne and StringTwo now show up
  ' in the auto-complete popup list
End Function

(They were missed before because they don't have "Local" or "Field" or similar keywords before them. Fixed now.)

As for displaying a function's parameters when you start typing its name... I'm still considering the best way to approach that.

skape(Posted 2013) [#81]
Oh okay. Gotcha. Thanks!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#82]
nice update grud, any news on the additional syntax coloring ?

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#83]
Just noticed that the new build does not seem to be throwing error's at me, even for simple stuff like identifier not found, hitting build just seems to do nothing, it is building tho, just not informing me of the error, where it is, what it is what file it crashed on etc.. nothing happens.

Had me stumped for a bit till I built it in ted and ted immediately flung me an error.

grudlux(Posted 2013) [#84]
You are right, Taiphoz! I actually introduced another late bug in the build/launcher while I was fixing the other bug I mentioned above!

Please download this new 1.53 version, and try again: http://www.grudlux.com/mollusk/

Sorry about that! And I will work on implementing more syntax coloring options for the next big update.

vmakar85(Posted 2013) [#85]
grudlux thx, now i have no crush =) w8 target

Sensei(Posted 2013) [#86]
Great work @Grudlux. Any chance you could make the console, explorer, help etc windows detachable? This would really be awesome to implement :)
Also, any progress on a split source view (like NP++)

Patch(Posted 2013) [#87]
Just a small bug I noticed (on OSX 10.9). If you hit build on a file not containing your main function, Mollusk crashes and becomes unresponsive.

The UI doesn't look great on Retina, that aside this is a very nice IDE :)

RetroRusty(Posted 2013) [#88]
In the code editor options, if you change the font to be bold or anything other than regular, it doesn't change anything when you apply the changes.

vmakar85(Posted 2013) [#89]
Any chance to get it work on linux.

sslivka(Posted 2013) [#90]
Can you create Home button in Help window?

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#91]
Nice editor on Mac OS X and Windows!

Could you add an option to choose the font for the "Code" and "Explorer" windows, please?
Maybe also separate fonts for "Build log" and "App Output". "Build log" is OK here, don't know
about "App Output" yet, as I am using the demo of Mollusk and can only compile to HTML5.
On Windows the currently used font for "Code" and "Explorer" is way too small here (2560x1440 @ 27"),
and I would like to change the font on Mac OS X too, so I can use "Lucida Console" Bold at size 12
in this tool windows., too. Same font I use in the editor window, but it would be better if we could choose
a separate font (and colors) for all tool windows, too.

Next important thing for me is, I would like to always open the external help window when I press F1 for help,
instead pressing Shift+F1. The internal Help tool should not get activated in this case,
so "Code" or "Explorer" tools stay selected.
Maybe you can make this an option, as long as you don't implement a full custom keyboard shortcut manager?

This are the most important things for me, att.

Other things like dock windows or an option to put the "Build log" and "App Output" tools under the source code window
would be nice, but are not most important to me. More syntax coloring has been wished already.

Mollusk seems to be written with PureBasic. I have installed UltraMon on Windows, and when I press the minimize button
in Mollusk, it just quits. This is a known PureBasic incompatibility. A workaround for the issue is at:
http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56499&hilit=UltraMon

Would be very nice if you could change the 2 things (font for "Code" tool window, and F1 help).
Beside that, very nice cross-platform editor for Monkey (what about adding BlitzMax support?).

Thanks! Just bought the full version now... :)

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#92]
@Sensei -- Now that the busy holiday season is over, I will look into overhauling the GUI (moveable/dockable subwindows, split-views, etc)

@Patch -- I will check out that bug. Also I have heard that it looks pixelated on Retina, unfortunately it is hard to diagnose without a Retina device to test on :(

@RetroRusty -- That is intentional. The font dialog is the OS standard, it includes "bold" and other options, but they are overwritten by the styles in the "Color Theme" panel (that name might be misleading).

@vmakar85 -- No Linux plans in the near future. Sorry.

@sslivka -- Yes a Home button will be easy. How did I overlook that?

@Danilo -- Hello, yep I recognize you from the PB forums, and I will look into that Ultramon problem. Otherwise, the font settings and F1 vs Shift+F1 are good ideas, look for them in the next update. A few months ago I started a fully-customizable shortcuts system... I ran into some problems. I have to look back at what they were...

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#93]
@grudlux:
Mollusk always hangs here when the popup "Choose main build file" (or something like that) comes up.
I have no projects opened, just 5 single .monkey files. I did something wrong (forgot Main() function?),
hit F5 to compile and start, popup opens to choose main build file, and Mollusk always hangs at this point here.

Mac OS X 10.9.1 (Mavericks), Mollusk 1.53

Patch(Posted 2014) [#94]
@Danilo Thats the bug I reported above. It's probably the biggest pain point for me right now, as I have to quit out and reopen all my tabs.

Sensei(Posted 2014) [#95]
Thanks for the forum update above @grudlux. I am really enjoying your IDE and use it exclusively. It has been working flawlessly for me on Windows 7. I will gladly throw more money your way if you need it to incentivise you to add feature requests. :)
Top notch product IMO.

computercoder(Posted 2014) [#96]
@Danilo and @Patch:

I, too, have Mac OSX 10.9.1, but I am using 1.51 without any issues. I use it exclusively constantly and have been loving it. :) Perhaps try using this version until grudlux releases another version? I get the same screen, but I can cancel or select a file without any issues. I am constantly switching between class files and the main app. I see that screen pop up, but usually close it, then I select the right tab and re-execute the code from there.

@grudlux:

So far so good with Mac OSX 10.9.1 for me. I haven't tried doing anything on the older MacBook Pro with 10.7.5 installed. However, if you need me to check anything with it, let me know. I'll be happy to help.

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#97]
Mollusk always hangs here when the popup "Choose main build file" (or something like that) comes up.

I get the same bug on OSX 10.9 and Molusk 1.53 too.

skape(Posted 2014) [#98]
I get the same bug on OSX 10.9 and Molusk 1.53 too.

If it helps, I don't get this bug on 10.8.5...

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#99]
@Patch @Danilo @nikoniko -- I think I have fixed the Mac freeze bug, but it's hard to test because it doesn't happen on my system. If you email me (touk@...) I can send you a beta to test.

I just want to fix that Ultramon on Windows issue, then I will have a update v1.54 ready to release.

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#100]
grudlux wrote:
I can send you a beta to test.

No access to MacOS computer to test now... :(

Just an idea for IDE - integration with forum, this or another monkey-x related, where language keyword has a topic with description, examples, etc
or/and documentation based on wiki with the same functional - easy adding, editing, commenting, bugs reporting, etc

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#101]
Hello!
Here is a new update, version 1.54: http://grudlux.com/mollusk/

Changelog: http://grudlux.com/mollusk/versions.txt
(I believe) I solved those pesky Mac freezes,
added a few new sidebar features (help Home button, custom fonts, pop-out help by default),
fixed Windows compatiblity with UltraMon (thanks Danilo!)

PS. I am going to wait about a week before putting this version in the auto-update checker (like Notepad++ and other projects do) in case any new problems are found... but feel free to download it now from the webpage!

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#102]
nice one..

I wonder if you could tweak the code list on the side and give it some icons like you have in the explorer, much the same way many other ide's do icons for methods, functions class etc. would look nice I think.

Gekko(Posted 2014) [#103]
Nice IDE, i buy it now!

Gekko(Posted 2014) [#104]
Yes i'm using it now... i confirm the best ide done for Monkey X i tested till now.
I bought also Jump and the others as i'm a coder like you and i know what it mean.

Some suggestions:
- Debug Console un a window in the bottom
- Remember the locked build file on RUN
- Some Themes
- Fix the bug on FONTS when you chose the first all ok, the next are doubled!!

Sensei(Posted 2014) [#105]
Nice work Grudlux.

I don't suppose you could do a F12 "fullscreen" mode for the editor, could you? It should hide everything, bar the icon toolbar and code preferably. (As an alternative to making the help, code, explorer and log windows pop out of the editor)

:)

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#106]
Those extra help buttons are very useful. Thanks!

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#107]
@Taiphoz -- Icons would be part of a big Code Explorer/Browser/Overview/Whatever overhaul which I have wanted to do for a while.

@Gekko -- Can you explain what you mean by:
- Remember the locked build file on RUN
- Fix the bug on FONTS when you chose the first all ok, the next are doubled!!
Also, Windows or Mac version?

@Sensei -- I will think about that. There is already a "secret" F11 hotkey, which I haven't really documented because I'm not happy with how it works right now. CURRENTLY it toggles between maximized without toolbar and non-maximized with/without toolbar (depending on your settings). I can improve it... and I'm not even sure if it's in the Mac version yet.

Sensei(Posted 2014) [#108]
Thanks for the info Grudlux. I'd really like to hide or pop-out those child windows though - I have a multi-screen desktop and it would be so much nicer if I could use it across different screens without the child windows taking up the coding space :(

Otherwise, still loving the IDE and use it exclusively :)

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#109]
@grudlux:
Many thanks for the update! It doesn't crash anymore when compiling a source
without Main() function on Mac OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks.

Gekko already said that the font height for custom fonts in code view sidebar window
is doubled. When I have 3 Tabs/files opened and restart the IDE, the
code view font is doubled for the first two Tabs. For the 3rd Tab it is right size.
It looks like the code view font height is only correct for the last Tab,
and doubled for all other Tabs.

Screenshots at http://pasteboard.co
- http://pbrd.co/1jp1lcP (wrong)
- http://pbrd.co/1jp2gKc (OK)
- http://pbrd.co/1jp2fGb (wrong)

Please also note in first screenshot the selected code view item
is unreadable with my color settings and the grey background color
for selected items. Didn't find a way to change that.

I am using the external help window now for F1-help. Many thanks for enabling it!
Just noticed when I close the external help window, the internal sidebar switches
from code view to help view. I think closing the external window should not change
the sidebar view.

For real fullscreen mode on Mac OS X, you will find PureBasic procedures and
a full example at: Window fullscreen procedures
Note the arrow in the top right corner. You can make windows fullscreen by pressing
this arrow, or use a keyboard shortcut and menu item. It is usually "Ctrl+Cmd+F" that
toggles fullscreen state.

Gekko(Posted 2014) [#110]
Yes i use Mac OSX....
Bella Danilo, un italiano!!

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#111]
An one idea for future: Code snippets database

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#112]
Another idea: search (and replace) in all openned tabs and/or all files in the project... OOps. Project isn't supported yet.
Idea: Project support

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#113]
Ah... no bookmarks :(

tytanium2(Posted 2014) [#114]
great IDE. Thanks grudlux.

I made a theme similar to the 'obsidian' theme in some other IDE's.

save it with the extension name.mtheme and import it under the 'import' in the settings dialog.

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#115]
New Mollusk update, version 1.55: http://grudlux.com/mollusk/

Main changes:
- New rewritten 'Code' browser for the sidebar (icons, classes can be expanded/collapsed, hover to see an item's full definition)
- It's easier to import custom icon themes now (download theme155.zip for an example)
- Minor changes to the main window, Help window, toolbar...
- Demo version now allows GLFW + HTML5 (as Monkey does)

Full changelog: http://grudlux.com/mollusk/versions.txt

Let me know if anything is wrong! And have a good weekend too.

jondecker76(Posted 2014) [#116]
Any future plans for Linux support?

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#117]
Nice! +1 for changes to the Code window, they will really help.

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#118]
New Mollusk update, version 1.55: http://grudlux.com/mollusk/

Thanks grudlux!

Unfortunately the [Code] tab has no color option. It uses "Color Theme > Normal Text" but ignoring styles like "[X] Bold".
The [Build Log] tab is using the same colors ("Color Theme > Normal Text") and seems to use "[X] Bold" style.

Both tabs, [Code] and [Build Log] seem to use the same font color options, but both windows look different.

- http://pbrd.co/1h0w9Ra
- http://pbrd.co/1h0yuvg
- http://pbrd.co/1h0yYl2

Maybe it is only the "[X] Bold" style that's missing?

Beside that, looks like the best Win+Mac editor for Monkey X so far. Keep up the good work and many thanks for Mollusk! ;)

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2014) [#119]
any word on giving methods their own unique color ? it's still a feature I would really like to have.

The Code Tab, would it be possible to Nest the Functions the same way you have done for a class ?, if you have a lot of functions in a file it really packs out that widget, being able to fold them all down into a "Functions" label would be really nice just like you can with a class's methods.

Also would love a single instance option , so that when I double click on a new monkey file and I already have mollusk open then it opens the file in the existing window and does not open a fresh mollusk would be nice, sometimes I'm just opening something quick and don't need a whole new instance of the app for it.

Also tried changing some icons and loading a new theme, but the new icons are not loading, did you cache them some where ? or is there a way for me to check if its loading correctly, seems to have loaded correctly, its a zip and your own theme I just changed some icons and re-zipped it.

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#120]
@jondecker76 -- No plans for a Linux version soon, sorry :(

@Danilo -- See next comment

@Taiphoz -- I think the next version will (finally) have better expanded coloring/styling options. For the whole UI, not just the Monkey code.
It has been so long that I forget what you mean by giving methods their own color, could you elaborate or even mark up a quick screenshot? It would be pretty easy to give a new color to user defined methods, it would be a bit trickier to color Monkey defined methods (hard to distinguish methods from functions, or does that not matter?)

Single instance... huh, you're right, I'm surprised I never implemented that!
As for icons not working, it's probably because I renamed them all for this version. Better now than never. See http://www.grudlux.com/mollusk/theme155.zip

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#121]
Just a suggestion, that may possibly be better solved by a project-file system of some sort:

Would it be possible to have a list of files that are always read for the code completion option, even if not explicitly loaded? Alternatively, could Mollusc invisibly load files in the import chain for this purpose?

The simple 'standard list of files' could at least be a starting point for experimentation. It would be directly useful to everyone who uses a standard framework or set of utility classes that is not usually loaded into the editor. Later on it could be made into a per-project list if desired.

computercoder(Posted 2014) [#122]
Hey grudlux!

I've been using Mollusk 1.55 since you released it with Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 and have been enjoying it! Its been very nice to have it run so stable and with the extra little things you've added to it. :)

Something I noticed that it doesn't do is recognize Interfaces in the "Code" tab. It reads the functions/methods and Classes with their functions/methods but makes the Interfaces look like they are just functions without a home :) When you have more than one interface on a given code file, they run together and you would not know by reading the Code pane what the interfaces are, but you would know each of the methods/functions in them.

Could this be something that could be added in the upcoming releases? Doesn't have to be the next one, but soon after that - however works best for you?

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#123]
@Gerry -- I have been considering that exact train of thought: (A) It would be nice to scan files for auto-complete items without actually having them open (B) This would make sense with a new project management system, but I think I'm saving that for a big future Version 2.0 update (C) In the meantime, I could add an option to specify files/folders to scan but (D) the auto-completer is currently tied to the lexer/highlighter which is tied to opened files... Yes of course I can change that, and I should, but probably not for Version 1.6 which I plan to release soon.

@CC -- I will check out Interfaces... it sounds like it should be an easy fix for the next update.

computercoder(Posted 2014) [#124]
Sounds good grudlux! I appreciate the efforts you put into this IDE and I look forward to the next release (and any thereafter!) :)

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#125]
Please, do Build log window replaceble. Very unusable when look errors in log.

Seems IDE isn't compatible with Monkey'78x - "Edit Config file" always show message "No configuration file found for target ..." even for just build app.

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#126]
Seems IDE isn't compatible with Monkey'78x - "Edit Config file" always show message "No configuration file found for target ..." even for just build app.

Fixed for Mollusk 1.60... the problem is Monkey's file/folder/target naming conventions change so often... it's frustrating.

@CC -- Interfaces are fixed for 1.60 too. Possibly coming next week?

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#127]
sometimes output from android emulator has a unreadable format as string encoding is broken, usually it happens on errors. See screenshot

Ted works fine for that. Also Ted has coloring for error messages output.

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#128]
Could you post what Ted's log shows for that error or a similar error?

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#129]
Ted:

Mollusk starts to show damaged log with third or fourth running app in the emulator. Log is readable after open/reopen new instance of Mollusk.

computercoder(Posted 2014) [#130]
Sounds great grudlux! Looking forward to the release :) I *just* started using Mollusk for Windows 8.1 because I will need to compile to the targets on the WinPhone and Win Desktop soon. It feels _strange_ working in Windows with Monkey for me :| At least the IDE feels the same ;)

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#131]
oopss.. fixed after reboot

computercoder(Posted 2014) [#132]
@grudlux

I'm using the Mac version of Mollusk v1.55 on Mavericks 10.9.2 and I noticed that the "Code" pane will cease to work after:
1) Mollusk is reloaded (with all pages being reloaded from the last session)
2) If you have around 10 tabs (files) opened at the same time.

What is strange is that I can load additional files and the code pane may or may not work. Sometimes I can even close the file and reload it and everything in the "Code" pane functions again for that file. The "Code" pane generally works on the files, but occasionally does not work for files after around 10 are open. Whatever the file is that opens at that point will not have a working "Code" pane.

My definition of "not working" is that it loads, and you can see the default view, but when I attempt to select anything in the pane, nothing happens: IE, I can't select anything to shortcut me to the section of code, none of the expanders/collapses toggle. Nothing at all.

I've rebooted several times. I've even left my computer off over night and tried again the next day to have it perform the same way. It ONLY affects the "Code" pane. The "Code Editor" area works just fine. I am able to work as expected in there. I have a work around, and it is to simply close the file and re-open it. If that doesn't work, then either close enough files to just a couple and then re-open it. The other method is to not use the "Code" pane at all, and just use the "Code Editor" and locate it that way. It's an inconvenience, but not a huge issue to me at this point. I thought I'd report it anyways :)

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#133]
Hello again, Mollusk version 1.60 is now available for download!

Changes:
- New single-instance option (how did I never add this before?)
- Many many new color, font, and style options
- Fixed a couple small bugs and crashes
- UI improvements, higher-res Mac icon, etc.

Full changelog: http://www.grudlux.com/mollusk/versions.txt

Demo / new users: http://www.grudlux.com/mollusk/
Update for paid users: http://www.grudlux.com/mollusk/download.php

Feedback is welcome! Any major issues can be fixed for a quick v1.61.

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#134]
Thanks grudlux, nice update!

Class names are incorrectly highlighted when the name length is 1 character only (Class A / New A):
Class A
    Method DoSomething(value1:Int)
    End
    Method DoSomething(value1:Int, value2:Int)
    End
End

Class B extends A
    Method DoSomething(value1:Int)
    End
    Method DoSomething(value1:Int, value2:Int)
        Local x:=12
    End
End

Class Program Extends App
End

Class AB Extends B ' class name with at least 2 characters is correctly highlighted
End

Function Main()
    Local a:=New A
    a.DoSomething(10)
    a.DoSomething(10,20)
    Local b:=New B
    b.DoSomething(10)
    b.DoSomething(10,20)
    Local p:=New Program
End

Also, after pasting this code into a new editor TAB, local variables are not highlighted correctly.
They get the correct color after pressing <Return> within the specific block (Method/Function).

Screenshot: http://pbrd.co/1lhYe7B

Functions without parenthesis use color of local variables (after pressing return on the Cls line).
Function a
    Cls 128,128,128
End

With the following code snippets, the function 'Main' is not on correct level in the code outline tool window:
Class Program

Field x:Int[] = [1,2,3]

Method Go:Int()
        If x[1] = 0 Then DoIt()
        Return 0
    End

Method DoIt:Void()
    End
End

Function Main:Int()
    New Program
    Return 0
End

When deleting the [1] after 'x' in the line containing the 'If', it is corrected.
Looks like it is missing the 'Then' when brackets [] are involved on single-line If-statements.

The app icon also does not work here on Mac OS X 10.9.2 - it uses default app icon.

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#135]
Thanks for the prompt feedback Danilo. Expect a v1.61 update next week...

1. I don't think it matters if the class name is 1 character or not. The real issue is that syntax highlighting is applied as you type, but the code lexer waits a second after you stop typing... but the lexer is necessary to differentiate identifier types. (If you save and re-open your example, it should highlight correctly, because it lexes THEN highlights.) I believe I can fix this soon.

2. About the function highlighted as a local... I will fix that too. Obviously the lexer is not always accurate in "guessing" the identifier type.

3. You are right about brackets breaking the single-line if. (Side note, I find Monkey's syntax too loose and tricky to parse, for example "Then" is optional and doesn't necessarily indicate a single-line or multi-line "If"... personally I would have used "Then" only for single-line, or just require "End" or "Endif" for every "If"... oh well.)

4. I think OS X caches the program's icon somewhere. You mean it still shows the old pixelated icon, right? I experienced this on OS X 10.9 too, but it resolved itself after some combination of logging out / rebooting / maybe replacing the app.

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#136]
Thanks grudlux!

It shows the default application icon. Info.plist has CFBundleIconFile set to "snail.icns", and there is no file "snail.icns" in your .app package. There is a "patta1.icns"

I still have a feature request:
Could you please allow to compile/start unsaved files like in the PB IDE?
If the file is not saved yet, save it in "%TEMP%/MolluskTemp/randomDirectory/" for compilation and starting.
For small tests and for quickly running forum codes, it is a little bit annoying to save the files first.
I don't want to save all forum codes on my computer, just quickly test them sometimes.

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#137]
Info.plist has CFBundleIconFile set to "snail.icns"

Fixed for v1.61. That was a last-minute release mistake.

Could you please allow to compile/start unsaved files like in the PB IDE?
If the file is not saved yet, save it in "%TEMP%/MolluskTemp/randomDirectory/" for compilation and starting.

Added for v1.61. That's a good idea, and it was simple to add.

Now back to those lexer issues.

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#138]
May 24: Mollusk version 1.61 is now available!

It is mostly bugfixes since 1.60 and internal improvements, but there are also a few nice additions such as the ability to launch new code files without saving first (suggested by Danilo above).

Update for Mollusk users: http://grudlux.com/mollusk/download.php

Have a good weekend!

computercoder(Posted 2014) [#139]
Nice update! Thanks grudlux!

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#140]
Thank you very much, grudlux! Fantastic update!

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#141]
Hello,

Is it possible expand collapsed block of code if compilation error's string is in it?

Lindsay(Posted 2014) [#142]
I've just downloaded and tried this out, and it's very nice but has a few issues.

Firstly: in the dark colour scheme, in the right-hand section (help/code/finder) - all the function names are in black and therefore invisible!

Secondly: the code collapsing logic has some issues - you can see in the middle of this screencap, it's picked up the 'End' from the if/else/end as actually belonging to the For loop, and it's all downhill from there ...

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#143]
grudlux

Could you add tabs scrolling by mouse wheel?

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#144]
@nikoniko -- Good points. I will add mousewheel scrolling (when the mouse is over the file tabs I assume?) and auto-expand when an error line is folded.

EDIT: Just checked, the mousewheel currently scrolls the whole tab bar if the tabs are wider than the window. You want the mousewheel to change the active tab instead? Or maybe, Ctrl + Mousewheel to change the active tab?

@Lindsay -- Windows or Mac? Version 1.61? I don't have that dark color problem here... hmm. But the "if" not folding is definitely a bug. When you add a space after the "ch" it seems to parse it correctly! I will fix that.

Sensei(Posted 2014) [#145]
Hey Grudlux. Thanks for the updates. I also get the garbled text as @nikoniko does, but I only notice it on the Ouya builds as I do a dropbox sync when testing on my Android tablet, so I guess it is related.
I too have the folding issue sometimes.
Here's two pics of the code folded and expanded.
Expanded: www.dropbox.com/s/oh7e70vso3ctaec/expanded.PNG
Folded: www.dropbox.com/s/ew16ecago7a7cur/folding.PNG

This is me using Win 7 and the latest Mollusk 1.61 (it's been happening for a few versions now, so I don't think it's a newly created bug)

Lindsay(Posted 2014) [#146]
@gridlux OSX Mavericks 10.9.3

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#147]
grudlux wrote:

EDIT: Just checked, the mousewheel currently scrolls the whole tab bar if the tabs are wider than the window. You want the mousewheel to change the active tab instead? Or maybe, Ctrl + Mousewheel to change the active tab?

Yes, it works when mouse pointer over buttons with arrow only and over tab line after click an one of them.
It is disappointed me.

Arjailer(Posted 2014) [#148]
@nikoniko - don't think I've ever seen that behaviour before (just checked Google Chrome, Firefox and Visual Studio 2013) :-\

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#149]
Arjailer wrote:
- don't think I've ever seen that behaviour before

Look to Ted :)

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#150]
grudlux

Please, check Molusk doesn't lock any directory into build folder when "Delete build folder" operation is failed.
I got this situation it didn't allow to delete build folder or do new build while molusk is opened.

Danilo(Posted 2014) [#151]
grudlux wrote:
EDIT: Just checked, the mousewheel currently scrolls the whole tab bar if the tabs are wider than the window.

Could you change this and make it optional, please? On Mac OS X with Apple Magic Mouse it sometimes
scrolls wildly when I want to change a TAB by mouse click. Looks like smallest movement while clicking is interpreted
as scrolling. Little bit annoying from time to time. Alternatively it could help if you make the scrolling trigger less sensitive.

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#152]
Does application a delay for every line Build Log/App output?

I have already closed application but logs windows is still writing. Ted works correct.

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#153]
I am working on these fixes and options for v1.62. It should be ready in a week or two.

@nikoniko -- Are you having these log problems on Windows or Mac?

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#154]
grudlux wrote:
Are you having these log problems on Windows or Mac?

Windows

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#155]
Look to screenshot

Code completion offers "Top" to select but the code has neither "Top" or "TOP" (sometimes it is offered too).

okee(Posted 2014) [#156]
Any chance of an Undo menu option ?

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#157]
@nikoniko -- That "Top" is intentional. The auto-completer includes a lot of standard Mojo classes, methods, etc. It is not ideal, but it is an OK compromise, because currently Mollusk does not scan "Import" libraries (or other external files) for auto-completion terms... sorry.

In other news, I have fixed the corrupted log text when launching multiple times on Android. Some previous log threads were still running in the background. Now I kill the Android launcher "properly" or at least the same way Ted does it!

@okee -- Do you mean Undo/Redo entries in the top "Edit" menu? Sure, that is simple. I figured most people use Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y or on Mac, Cmd+Z, Cmd+Shift+Z.

Thanks for all the feedback. Version 1.62 is almost ready, I have one or two more bugs to fix and one small feature to add.

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#158]
grudlux wrote:
That "Top" is intentional. The auto-completer includes a lot of standard Mojo classes, methods, etc. It is not ideal, but it is an OK compromise, because currently Mollusk does not scan "Import" libraries (or other external files) for auto-completion terms... sorry.

Ok. But why are local/module/field variables not included to complete list either?

mdgunn(Posted 2014) [#159]
...currently Mollusk does not scan "Import" libraries (or other external files) for auto-completion terms...

Is this feature on the roadmap or not? I think it's one of the the main things for me that JungleIDE has that I miss from Mollusk.

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#160]
@nikoniko -- Those should be included in the auto-complete list if they are in an open file. Post an example if it's not working how you expect.

Also, I have fixed your Android corrupted log bug. However I cannot figure out the locked Build folder problem. I can get it to happen, but it happens in Ted too! (Example: Create an Android file in Ted, build it (you don't even have to launch), wait for the compiler to finish, then close Ted normally. Try to delete the Build folder, Windows won't let you!) Seems to be a problem with Monkey's trans.exe or Google's adb.exe (Android Debug Bridge) which continues running even after Ted or Mollusk closes.

I don't want to wait any longer to release 1.62, so if I can fix the Build folder problem it will be in the next version.

@mdgunn -- That is on the to-do list, but the to-do list is big and always growing! I can't add everything that Jungle has. I wish I had more time to extend Mollusk, unfortunately I also have a full-time job and I'm working on games too (which is why I started Mollusk for myself in 2013)

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#161]
grudlux wrote:
Post an example if it's not working how you expect.

When I am using fantomEngine Molusk never offers to complete ftObject and other fE objects.

grudlux wrote:
Seems to be a problem with Monkey's trans.exe or Google's adb.exe

May be, may be...

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#162]
grudlux

Could you add sorting for methods in code tree? Now methods are in source order. Alphabet order is needed too (sometimes).

mdgunn(Posted 2014) [#163]
@mdgunn -- That is on the to-do list, but the to-do list is big and always growing!

Thanks for letting me know it's on the list anyway.

Not handling DebugStop is one of the other things that sometimes means you need to switch out of Mollusk. Would be nice to see that in place but I suppose TED is always an option if DebugStop needed. Maybe it is time consuming to get into Mollusk and other items are less so.

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#164]
Version 1.62 is now out! (June 21)

It is mostly a bug-fix update, for both Windows and Mac. See the changes here: http://grudlux.com/mollusk/versions.txt

One addition is the "File Tabs" page in the settings window, with new options for mouse-scrolling the file tab bar.

Webpage: http://grudlux.com/mollusk/

@nikoniko -- I can probably add alphabetical sorting. Just for sub-items within a class, or sort classes by name too? (Or make it customizable maybe?)

@mdgunn -- I need to take a look at DebugStop...

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#165]
grudlux wrote:
with new options for mouse-scrolling the file tab bar.

It doesn't still work for me or it's problem in WinXP?

Gerry Quinn(Posted 2014) [#166]
I don't think sorting classes by name will be useful for most people - the set of people who have a lot of classes in each file and in which they are not ordered according to a system is probably fairly slim...

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#167]
@nikoniko -- Hmm it seems to be acting funny in XP. I need to click the tab once or twice before I can scroll it. Seems wrong with both touchpad and a real mouse. (Both work for me in Windows 7.) I will try to fix it quickly.

Arjailer(Posted 2014) [#168]
I have to agree that not supporting debugging is a big hole in Mollusk's feature set.

Having to switch to TED whenever a memory access violation occurs or whenever I want to stop and step through some code to make sure it's doing what I think it's doing is not only a productivity killer, but it means that I now just use TED by default and don't even bother with Mollusk any more :-(

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#169]
Mollusk version 1.63 is now online!

It is a small but overdue update. Mostly bug fixes and minor improvements.

Added color highlighting of Error and Warning lines to the Build Log (see color settings). Also an (optional) different background color for editing non-Monkey files.

I looked into how Ted + Trans handle Debugging... not how I expected. I have NOT yet implemented debugging, but at least I have added a warning upon DebugStop (better than crashing!)

Full changelog: http://grudlux.com/mollusk/versions.txt
Get the update: http://grudlux.com/mollusk/download.php

Sammy(Posted 2014) [#170]
Always good to see an update, thank you.

nikoniko(Posted 2014) [#171]
Hello,

I have recorded screen video to compare speed of text out to log windows for Molusk (slow) vs Ted (fast) with the same code.

Sometimes low speed is useful, but most time is very annoyed.

Pierrou(Posted 2014) [#172]
One thing I can say about Mollusk IDE is that it allows me to use Monkey X on my 2006 Core Duo iMac, and compile for MacOS X, while Ted doesn't, since Snow Leopard isn't officially supported anymore. So thanks Grudlux!

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#173]
Pierrou - I'm glad and somewhat surprised it works for you. I thought the Monkey compiler (trans) doesn't support Snow Leopard? (Maybe it's just Ted...)

Nikoniko - Is that Windows XP? I will look at that problem again. Most of my testing is on Windows 7 and I do not get slow log output (I just tested 1.63!) Thanks for making the video to show me.

Pierrou(Posted 2014) [#174]
From what I've seen, using Monkey X 79e, Trans is working fine on my Snow Leopard iMac, when running Mollusk IDE. I can compile my current Monkey X/ Ignition X project for MacOS X just like I do on Windows, getting the same results. I'm glad I don't have to replace my Mac yet because those are quite expensive toys...

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#175]
Mollusk 1.64 is now available!

I am still working on changes for the next update, but I wanted to release this because it fixes a MAJOR annoying Mac crash, plus:
- you can now middle-click to close a tab
- you can middle-click the tab bar to create a new file
- improved tab scrolling on Win XP
- a backup settings file is now saved and can be auto-restored if corrupted

Download the new version: http://grudlux.com/mollusk/download.php

Jesse(Posted 2014) [#176]
Finally not crashing when I open a file originally made in the Monkey IDE! Thanks.

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#177]
Yes that was a bad bug. I don't know how I missed it in 1.63.

For the record, it was (sometimes? always?) crashing on Mac when you load a file and the default "new" file was the only tab open... which is common usage. You can avoid the crash just by creating a "new 2" tab before loading your files (sorry!) or just download 1.64!

Jesse(Posted 2014) [#178]
yes I figured out to open it in to a "New 2" window and I have loaded the latest.

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#179]
Mollusk version 1.65 is now available!

Another small but important update, especially for Mac users:
- Mac: quitting via the Dock is now handled properly (also fixes a crash, when combined with Single Instance mode) (thanks Daniel!)
- minor changes to settings file and settings window
- reduced some annoying warning dialogs in some conditions

Download: http://grudlux.com/mollusk/download.php

computercoder(Posted 2014) [#180]
Thanks for the update grudlux!

I've been using v1.62 for the Mac and just stopped back in to see how all things Monkey X have been. I've been busy programming my stuff over here, and honestly hadn't even bothered to see if Mollusk had an update. I grabbed the latest copy and was rather pleased to see the Retina display had been vastly improved (YAY!) no more smudgy looking letters! Of course I see that it was fixed back in v1.63 so its been a while. Still I'm quite happy with that fix.

I am more anxious to see that nasty Mac crashing issue disappear (which was fixed in v1.64). Sometimes I'd be running and working away then Mollusk crashed for seemingly no reason, and when it tries to come back, it sat there. I'd have to "Force Quit"and then re-launch. At that time, ALL the settings were reset to default, and all the files I had been used to loading were gone. So, hopefully with this release, I'll see no more of that happening :) That combined with the easily readable letters, I'm set!

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#181]
Glad to hear it's working better for you now. There have been a lot of small but important fixes in these 1.6x releases, especially for Mac. (I have been allocating more time on Mac lately.)

As usual, let me know if you run into more issues!

Sensei(Posted 2014) [#182]
Unfortunately I still get a crash :(
I've emailed you the crash log and info Grudlux.

Ps. this is on my Mavericks Macbook air.

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#183]
Mollusk 1.66 is now available!

This is mostly a bug fix version -- including a fix for the file-closing crash Mac users have reported (thanks for sending logs and testing betas!)

Sensei(Posted 2014) [#184]
Thanks for the update Ryan!
Seems to be working great for me now.
Question: Why is there no scrollbar on the main code window? Line numbers are obviously useful, but it's a pain not having a scrollbar if you quickly wanna move around.

skape(Posted 2014) [#185]
Question: Why is there no scrollbar on the main code window? Line numbers are obviously useful, but it's a pain not having a scrollbar if you quickly wanna move around.

It actually now works how scrollable areas are supposed to work on Mac. If you start to scroll (using the touchpad or the mouse wheel) the scrollbar will appear, which you can then click and drag.

(I'm assuming you're using the Mac version...)

Sensei(Posted 2014) [#186]
Yeah, I don't see a scrollbar. I'm on OS X Yosemite now, but I didn't see it before moving from Mavericks either.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qj4r5af7m7qt7s/Untitled.mov?dl=0

[UPDATE]
Turns out it seemed to be a colour issue. When I changed the colour theme to match my one on my windows pc, I could suddenly see the scrollbars appear when I moved around with the trackpad.

Apologies for the confusion :)

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#187]
Hi Sensei,

I will double check the scrollbars on Yosemite. I mostly use Mavericks, and the scrollbar seems fine on light/dark color themes (it does not disappear). However I would not be surprised if the behavior changes automatically in Yosemite (or perhaps it is part of the Scintilla component that the editor is based on).

Sensei(Posted 2014) [#188]
Hi Ryan.

Some more bad news mate. On my mac I now get consistent crashing with auto-complete popup box enabled. Basically, as soon as I type a known command in, for example "import", the auto complete drop-down appears and it crashes. I had to disable auto-complete popup box to actually be able to do work. Let me know if you are able to replicate it and if you want me to send you the crash logs..

Here's a screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nltmx6hyrp9ckg1/Screenshot%202014-11-05%2013.13.34.png?dl=0

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#189]
Can you send me those crash logs? I can't reproduce that at all on my Mavericks. I will try other Macs / Yosemite as soon as possible.

Sensei(Posted 2014) [#190]
Can you send me those crash logs? I can't reproduce that at all on my Mavericks. I will try other Macs / Yosemite as soon as possible.

Done and done. Good luck!

grudlux(Posted 2014) [#191]
Mollusk 1.67 is now available!

This is another bug fix update.
There are minor syntax highlighting and sidebar fixes, but the main fix is an AutoComplete crash that only seemed to occur on OS X 10.10 Yosemite.
(Thanks Jaco and the other testers for your help and crashlogs!)

Changes: http://grudlux.com/mollusk/versions.txt

grudlux(Posted 2015) [#192]
Version 1.68 is now available!

It fixes one CRITICAL bug (auto-complete crashes still happening on OS X -- Mac users please get this update!!) plus some minor cosmetic changes.

Big thanks to the beta testers once again!

Changes: http://grudlux.com/mollusk/versions.txt

Duke87(Posted 2015) [#193]
Would be nice, if the autocomplete function would show the params to a method of an object.
And , if it could show the #rem monkeydoc comment to a Method that is selected by autocomplete.

like:

so if i Write something like

I Would like to see all Methods with Parameters and if I browse them, i'd like to see the monkeydoc comment as well.

Sensei(Posted 2015) [#194]
Thanks for the update Grudlux. I've not come across any further issues but will let you know if something does crop up :)

Jesse(Posted 2015) [#195]
not crashing here so far! couple of days use and it seems to be doing good.

I do have a couple of more issues though. Not enough to stop me from using it but a little distracting:

First, randomly sometimes when I edit and press the down arrow, the cursor moves up instead of down, not always but random as well, until it gets to the top of the

editor window then it starts to go back down.

The other is when displaying the auto completion text. On my Macbook, if I use the two fingers on the trackpad to move the code a few lines up or down, If I

start writing code, the auto completion line is displayed a few lines below or above the line I am editing depending on the situation. It looks out of place.

anyway I am starting to like it. Good work so far.

Playniax(Posted 2015) [#196]
Thanks for the update!

grudlux(Posted 2015) [#197]
Duke87 -- I will look into that. There is currently no MonkeyDoc support in Mollusk at all.

Jesse -- Those two issues sound strange. They sound like behavior of the Scintilla editor component itself... I will investigate though.

Danilo(Posted 2015) [#198]
Did Mollusk 1.68 remove Unicode support?

I wrote a small code with old Mollusk 1.61, and it uses Unicode chars.

After updating to latest Mollusk 1.68 today, the file looked like this:
http://i.imgur.com/YWCjke4.png

It does not recognize the old file correctly. Now I pasted the code again into a new file,
and additionally to syntax highlighting problems, the code does not work correctly anymore,
or at least the console output shown in Mollusk is wrong:
http://i.imgur.com/TUmqN3x.png

This worked correctly with Mollusk 1.61 /MacOSX. Noticed only the binary numbers
highlighting issue (%0101 is not recognized as a whole number, highlighting for % is separated),
otherwise it worked fine.

Mollusk 1.61 /MacOSX:
http://i.imgur.com/z9PC64m.png

EDIT: Tested some old versions now. Mollusk 1.65 is the last version that works
correctly with Unicode stuff. 1.66, 1.67, 1.68 are not useable in my opinion.

grudlux(Posted 2015) [#199]
Hi Danilo. Interesting findings, thank you for taking the time to report this.

Mollusk 1.68 did not remove Unicode support... in fact Mollusk has never officially supported Unicode. I am slightly surprised it was working a few versions ago.

Proper Unicode support (in the editor, highlighter, file I/O, compiler, logs, etc.) has been a long-standing item on my To-Do list for a while. I think your bug report is the kick I need to finally implement it... would you be interested in beta versions?