Displaying a video?

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Displaying a video?

SlopeOak(Posted 2013) [#1]
I've tried to search the forums for this but can't seem to come up with anything.

Has anyone tried to render/display a video file, using Monkey? I'm talking something like a .MOV file or .MP4, etc.

I'm primarily interested in doing this on PC and Mac, at the moment, perhaps iOS and Android later on.

Seems like Ogg Theora might be viable, but a fair amount of work to get it running cross platform.

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#2]
that one guy who makes stuff under the name "little ember" was trying to do this on the forums a while back. Depending on what you need it for, it may not be worth the trouble, though

programmer(Posted 2013) [#3]
You should try to create a binding of WebM (libvpx) to monkey. WebM is royalty-free. libvpx has the simplest API I've ever seen.
http://www.webmproject.org/

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#4]
i made a quicktime module on Blitzmax if you are familiar with blitz. it worked quite well on pc/mac, but needed direct access to the memory pointer, which Monkey does NOT have. a work-around could be made, though.
(Edit: i see that the mac version isn't working anymore, thanks Apple for changing your API every 6 months.)

ios and android have built-in media controllers, so those would be separate.

SlopeOak(Posted 2013) [#5]
Thanks for the help, guys! I'll see what I can do :)