Experimental v74a now up! [MONKEY NEWS]

Monkey Forums/Monkey Programming/Experimental v74a now up! [MONKEY NEWS]

marksibly(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi,

Experimental v74a is now up!

A few little tweaks and bugfixes - and a new, strictly 'for fun' Ouya target! Not sure exactly where I'm going with this, but Ouya Gamepad support was dead easy to add (it was already in there really) and I had IAP going in a few hours so why not. Please don't consider this 'officially supported' yet though.

I really like the Ouya - cheap and cheerful yet gruntier than I thought it'd be, and of course very easy to develop for. I'm not sure if it'll catch on in a big way, but I suspect (hope) it represents the dawn of new era of Android powered console gaming - can't wait to see what Google are up to too!

Fixed xna WP7 bug where accelerometer was sending events to app before OnCreate, causing app crash.

Added 'smart' admob banner sizes.

Added a Ouya target! Mainly just for fun, but joystick/IAP is in - see iaptest banana for more...

Fixed ios<5 autorotation - tested on: ios4.3.5 iPod; ios5.1.1 iPad1; ios6.1.3 iPod.

Clean up lang.cpp so #WIN8_PRINT_ENABLED doesn't confuse other targets.

Implemented Devolonters fix so data file filters can be used (successfully) with += eg: #TEXT_FILES+="*.xml"

Tweaked html5/flash/windowed-xna targets so they get at least one 'OnRender' after being suspended, allowing you to set a flag in OnSuspend and render a 'paused' image in OnRender. See bouncyaliens...

Fixed cs/java downcast bug when downcast appears in a 'while'. Should be faster too (on cs anyway).

Nobuyuki(Posted 2013) [#2]
cool !

Soap(Posted 2013) [#3]
Just for fun projects are super! Thank you for the continued updates.

Is it possible to get official icon support for glfw target xcode and vc projects? I can handle adding the stuff to the project/plist, but it would be much nicer to simply replace an icns and icon file instead, or better yet have the icon file names defined in the monkey source and pulled from the data folder. Or does this already exist?

Info.plist
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<string>icon.icns</string>
</plist>
Then add icon.icns to Resources folder

For Windows there is a post here about it:

http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=1651

It is a small thing but would be nice to have as a default.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#4]
Added a Ouya target!

doh!
did you get all 4 controllers in?

marksibly(Posted 2013) [#5]
> did you get all 4 controllers in?

No, I've only got one - could give it a go if anyone else multiple controllers to test with.

BTW: Ouya was kindly 'donated' by Earok - thanks!

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#6]
this one has the four controllers (thanks to Oddball), feel free to pull:
https://github.com/JochenHeizmann/monkey-ouya

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#7]
but I suspect (hope) it represents the dawn of new era of Android powered console gaming - can't wait to see what Google are up to to!

Amazon is also rumored to be working on an Android-based console of their own.

Raul(Posted 2013) [#8]
nice update.

Read about OUYA controllers and I have a question: is there a way to implement some controller support into GLFW targets? Or vcpp? or XNA?

Oddball(Posted 2013) [#9]
Great news on the OUYA support. I hope it becomes official in the future.

this one has the four controllers (thanks to Oddball), feel free to pull:
My method is a bit kludge-y, but it does work. Mark, if you do have a proper go at controller support, please note that the official controller, xbox360 controller, and PS3 controller have slight differences on the OUYA. You'd either need to program the corrections into the target or give us a way to identify which type of controllers are plugged in. I haven't quite worked that bit out yet.

Paul - Taiphoz(Posted 2013) [#10]
This is cool, will be testing that OUYA target shortly via a fellow coder who has one.

Thankfully I only need one controller :), OUYA is still a little vague to me, not had enough interest in it to make it worth my while to look into it, but that might change.

What I really hope is that all these new consoles coming out do not reproduce the massive fragmentation that already exists in the android world, the last thing we need is amazon, or google or god knows who else adding in some kind of custom thing that ends up needed a new specific target.

I hope they try and keep a standard in there some where.

dragon(Posted 2013) [#11]
smart admod - great!

EdzUp(Posted 2013) [#12]
Brilliant :-)

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#13]
Thanks Mark! Any chance to see InApp purchases and Ads for WP8 anytime soon? :)

programmer(Posted 2013) [#14]
Awesome!

New target should load/store data using OUYA's custom storage: https://devs.ouya.tv/developers/docs/storage

zoqfotpik(Posted 2013) [#15]
I have a really sinking feeling about ouya but you never know. Nice to see support for something a bunch of us wanted and I will do a port to it just to see how it goes. Thanks Mark.

dragon(Posted 2013) [#16]
ouya have no future...
shield have no future
(and all consoles with own markets)

but new comming amazon android-console...
they have much more potencial and own big store
amazon-payment is available everywhere

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/08/09/rumor-amazon-developing-android-console-to-release-this-year/

i think also google start soon new "google console"

Raul(Posted 2013) [#17]
@dragon: (and all consoles with own markets)

xbox has its own market
ps has its own market...

please try to explain yourself???

Xaron(Posted 2013) [#18]
No it's not. I think he's right. But well as the effort wasn't that big it's ok. ;)

dragon(Posted 2013) [#19]
i mean android consoles - every time with new separate store
no future!

only google play and amazon have future

Snader(Posted 2013) [#20]
Great news! I will have a go at something for the ouya soon. Thanks Mark!

Neuro(Posted 2013) [#21]
Awesome news on the Ouya support!!!! Gonna try it out soon!

Spinal(Posted 2013) [#22]
So how does the ouya controller work, does it just use the regular gamepad commands?

Snader(Posted 2013) [#23]
Please delete this post.. posted in the wrong section

Gl¡tch(Posted 2013) [#24]
It's great to see more targets being brought onboard, but despite all this I still cannot get a PS3 controller to work on MacOS 10.8 - and by that I mean, register any input whatsoever - with Monkey. Any chance this can be address soon?

I am aware of a "fix" elsewhere in the forums, but this yields no return for me. I don't know if this is just a bug for PS3 controllers with Monkey or not as I cannot check the 360 beasties.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#25]
Since monkey desktop is based on GLFW, you may have to wait for GLFW3 to bring better joystick support on OSX.

blabz(Posted 2013) [#26]
What would it take to get minib3d working on ouya?

Snader(Posted 2013) [#27]
My guess is that if it works on android, it should also work on the OUYA, also minib3d.

I love to see multiple controller support for OUYA.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#28]

My guess is that if it works on android, it should also work on the OUYA, also minib3d.

I love to see multiple controller support for OUYA.

Although that is mostly true, I have seen both Diddy and fantomFramework both not compile with the OUYA target, even though they work with the Android one. I can compile OUYA apps or games without either framework though. I wonder if there is something with the OpenGL embedded into them that does this? I didn't look much into either, so I cannot say for sure there.

That said, I haven't tried (nor do I really need it) to compile minib3d apps with it either.

Let me clarify the OUYA target... I am using the community version, not Mark's... I am also compiling with an actual OUYA console with 4 controllers. I should prolly try Mark's out as well.

I do have multiple controllers working (mostly) using the community version OUYA target - just missing the support for using the sticks on anything other than the first one, and the trigger buttons (L2 and R2). Those are analog, and not digital buttons.

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#29]
What would it take to get minib3d working on ouya?

pressing compile.
http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=5573

actually, there may be a small miniB3D threading conflict if Monkey hasn't been updated with it yet, but it's minor. let me know.

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#30]
That definitely solves that mystery! Thanks AdamRedwoods :)

Have you been able to get multiple controller support working on OUYA yet?

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2013) [#31]

Have you been able to get multiple controller support working on OUYA yet?

In the community Ouya target we did, but not sure about the "official":

computercoder(Posted 2013) [#32]
Thanks :) I figured out another way to get all 4 controllers without the use of KeyDown/Up (although that is a slick way of doing it). Plus... I can easily know which controller does what when. I really wanted to get full use of the analog features too. The KeyDown/Up way treats them as a digital button instead of analog. I piggy backed off the one you pointed to me, but merged in the controls specifically for the controller, then I set #ANDROID_GAMEPAD_ENABLED=False to ignore the gamepad in the code already created. Anyways, as of right now, I get 4 controllers all working at the same time, giving me their statuses. Life is good!